Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rónán Mullen tops poll and re-elected to Senate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,019 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

listermint wrote: »
    I don't think it's salty I find it particularly galling that a load of priests can vote someone into he seanad just by having gone to a bloody college.

I find it equally galling that of load of anyone can vote anyone to the seanad just by having gone to a college.

This is not democratic and even less so given this places graduate makeup.

This system needs to be scrapped asap. Mullen has no democratic Mandate for his platform. None.

Maynooth has a lot more then priests in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭uptherebels

I think his view points represent a silenced sector of society. Their perspective is not aired in the media at all

Nonsense. The likes of David Quinn, Breda o brien maria Steen etc have no problem getting column space in national papers and air time on the radio.
    That their segments are all opinion pieces and lacking in facts/reality is on them. The only place that they are silenced is in their heads. It's how they excuse loosing votes and how the cope mentally with the majority of people in this country not supporting them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

Nothing, until your views start getting imposed on others.

Be as conservative as you like with your own life and let others be liberal with theirs. It wont affect you in the slightest.

But nothing wrong with so called liberal views being imposed on others?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Geez Ronan up to 7pages already, Bloody Brilliant!!

Acosta wrote: »
    There was probably nobody else against Repeal that did their side more harm than he did over the entire campaign when he appeared on the final debate 24 hours before the referendum. He's an evangelical nutter, against anything remotely progressive that takes this country away from a time when the church had too much of a say on how we lived our lives, and the vast majority of Irish people have his number.

This +100. I don't watch alot of the seanad discussions, but I watched it during the abortion legislation. Just listening to him speak, his whole personality, nevermind the nonsense he speaks is nothing short of a hindrance to anything he supports.
    So better to keep voting him in than somebody who is charismatic or a good orator that might actually be able to persuade people.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Blaze420 wrote: »
    And by the way mods feel free to ban me if you wish but Rónán Mullens is still a ****ing retard and anybody supporting him shares that shame.
    Sorted, and a load of totally uncivil/abusive posts deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

BarryD2 wrote: »
    https://www.irishcatholic.com/senator-ronan-mullen-tops-poll-and-re-elected-to-senate/

Had a double take when I heard this earlier, is it an April Fools!: "Independent Senator Rónán Mullen has been successfully re-elected to the Seanad, topping the poll in the National University of Ireland panel."

Anyone looking at modern Ireland and aware of Rónán Mullen's egregious commentary on social matters must be baffled.

One presumes the graduates of the National University of Ireland are reasonably well educated and informed of such matters, so how on earth could they elect him top of the poll, indeed how could they elect him fullstop.

The only possible explanations I can think of are a) graduates of the National University of Ireland are far more conservative than the rest of society and/ or more likely b) only the religious conservative graduates bother voting.

Anyone else have an idea?

I am a graduate of NUI ...i find it hard to know when the voting is ..how to go about it ..they don't make it easy plus i was actually social distancing this year so i wouldn't have anyway.

And yes a lot of NUI graduates ..would be a bit more conservative.

crossman47 wrote: »
    It seems its ok for so called liberals to talk about catholics like that now.

Are you saying he is representative of Catholics now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

instead of this back and forth litany of descriptions of romans appendage , can you give me a bullet point list (without 'he's a catholic') of the things that Ronan has done that make him unsuitable for the Seanad.

Do you have an issue with any other senators ?

He obviously has no problem with warfield . Seem to talk the exact same filth.

Are you saying he is representative of Catholics now?

No but he is being attacked for being a catholic. That wouldn't happen to a Jew or a Muslim.

• Advertisement

But nothing wrong with so called liberal views being imposed on others?

You don't realise the difference. A ban on abortion/same sex marriage imposes conservative views on others. Allowing the above doesn't impose liberal views on you, as it isn't mandatory. You are free to not have an abortion or not have a same sex marriage if you so choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

There are elections because people and parties have different opinions.
    If you don't like it then advocate for a one party state that only holds your views.

The alternative is one has to accept people from all sides of the political spectrum will get elected and it is the best system and most representative.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I think his view points represent a silenced sector of society. Their perspective is not aired in the media at all so if there's a candidate who voices their concerns they will understandably rally hard behind him.

Are you joking?! Him and his Iona cronies were constantly on tv and radio during the recent referenda coverage. As well as Breda O'Brien spouting her sh*te in the IT.

No but he is being attacked for being a catholic. That wouldn't happen to a Jew or a Muslim.

No, he is being "attacked" for being a far right conservative, that wants to impose his views on others. Plenty of Catholics are pro choice for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

doylefe wrote: »
    The saltiness is evident.

Salty gammon?

Are you joking?! Him and his Iona cronies were constantly on tv and radio during the recent referenda coverage. As well as Breda O'Brien spouting her sh*te in the IT.

They got some coverage but nothing like that given to the pro abortion side.

Around three quarters of a million people voted against repealing the 8th amendment.

It is interesting that all the TDs who voted against the abortion laws were also re-elected.
    Ronan Mullen just followed a trend from the general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well I helped get him elected. He got No 19 from me.

Maybe if they hadn't keep their funds outside the country when paying for all those ads that got stopped.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Around three quarters of a million people voted against repealing the 8th amendment.

It is interesting that all the TDs who voted against the abortion laws were also re-elected.
    Ronan Mullen just followed a trend from the general election.

How is it interesting?

• Advertisement

Another who hasn't heard of "pro-choice" or moreover is wilfully indifferent. Pro-choice affords women the option of choosing to have an abortion or not.

Ah look we're not going down the referendum debate again, we can just be happy that Ronan get elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

I think his view points represent a silenced sector of society. Their perspective is not aired in the media at all so if there's a candidate who voices their concerns they will understandably rally hard behind him.
    Well, Breda O'Brien has a prime slot in the Irish Times and David Quinn and his Iona crowd take up plenty of column inches in the national newspapers, so your notion that they are not aired in the media at all is quite simply wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Lucky for me the 8th amendment wasn't in place when my mother had to abort her first pregnancy, if it was she would have likely died and my siblings and I would never have been born.

But anyway yeah, 'pro-life' and all that jazz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Delighted Ronan got elected and increased his overall votes. Whilst I voted for the Seaned to be abolished as it is a waste of taxpayers money with the likes of Mary Black, Norris, Bachik and that SF lad Warfield, but I didn't go off and set up a dedicated thread to have a pop at them, like the OP decided to do with this thread about Senator Mullen. So suck it up OP, it was a democratic election Ronan won, you got upset and life moves on!

Nah I'm not upset, he was voted in fair & square by a particular electorate. But I am still somewhat astonished that the graduate elite of UCD, UCC, UCG etc would vote for his particularly religious conservative viewpoint in any numbers in 2020. I just think that's very noteworthy and substantially at kilter with student politics of the last couple of decades and more.
    Acosta wrote: »
    He's an evangelical nutter, against anything remotely progressive that takes this country away from a time when the church had too much of a say on how we lived our lives, and the vast majority of Irish people have his number.

Well clearly the graduates of NUIG who are on their register are a breed apart from the 'vast majority of Irish people'.
    I am a graduate of NUI ...i find it hard to know when the voting is ..how to go about it ..they don't make it easy plus i was actually social distancing this year so i wouldn't have anyway.

Thanks for the insight, so it seems a qualifying graduate has to make a bit of an effort to vote for these elections and generally be taking an interest in them. I suppose that could be how the likes of Ronan succeeds, careful profiling & targeting of the right people. Was there no postal vote?

How is it interesting?

Interesting how around three quarters of million people kept all the TDs who represented their views in the new Dáil and with Ronan Mullen in the Seanad.

Given the Repeal side was packed with TDs and senators, it is no surprise some of them lost out.

Lucky for me the 8th amendment wasn't in place when my mother had to abort her first pregnancy, if it was she would have likely died and my siblings and I would never have been born.

But anyway yeah, 'pro-life' and all that jazz.

Ya and lucky the 8th was present when a woman I know was adopted because her real mother told her years later that if abortion was available then she'd have got rid of her. But anyway yeah 'pro-choice' and all that jazz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

It’s a postal vote, send them the registration form and when there’s an election they’ll send you the ballot paper.

The candidates also get your address and some will send you their literature.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I have no problem with the conservative element of Irish society having democratic representation. In fact it's good. It's just that Mullen is not a very nice person. Seems to belong to a hard clique, similar to those few who the bishop was complaining about the other day, who are trying to pressurise priests to say mass, at this time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Ya and lucky the 8th was present when a woman I know was adopted because her real mother told her years later that if abortion was available then she'd have got rid of her. But anyway yeah 'pro-choice' and all that jazz.

I doubt the 8th would have mattered in fairness, abortion wasn't a choice in Ireland before the 8th was introduced or was it?

My mother had it out of necessity, she was dying, but apparently the 'pro-lifers' couldn't give 1 fcuk about that.

Advertisement