Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rónán Mullen tops poll and re-elected to Senate

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,559 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Which we democratically voted on keeping.

If we had voted to abolish it, what would it take to re-introduce an upper house at a later stage? I don't think it would ever be put back to the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

You dont automatically get registered to vote as a graduate
    And then you have donkeys like Coppinger wanting it done away with until she gets ****ed out of the Dail trough and needs another one to stick her head in.

The original idea for the Senate was a good idea and allowed expertise in different areas to be heard and considered in a national forum. People like Prof. Crown, Prof Joe Lee, Fergal Quinn were good contributors. But then the political parties started nominating party members and a lot of useless people got in

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

He isnt as charismatic as Quinn so I know what you mean but his arguments are not patronising or pompous. I recall him being slammed for allegedly smiling during an abortion hearing. The most insincere form of hatch job journalism. Not a peep about the inhumanity of people jostling in joy in Collins Barracks after the repeal passed. One rule for them, another for us.
    I remember him more so for during the live debates on abortion referendum saying he forgave a woman for her choice to abort due to FFA. He comes across as a condescending pr#ck to me. I don't think he did the save the 8th and no side on the marriage ref any favours...quite the opposite... thankfully.
    But he obviously appeals to a certain cross section.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

BarryD2 wrote: »
    https://www.irishcatholic.com/senator-ronan-mullen-tops-poll-and-re-elected-to-senate/

Had a double take when I heard this earlier, is it an April Fools!: "Independent Senator Rónán Mullen has been successfully re-elected to the Seanad, topping the poll in the National University of Ireland panel."

Anyone looking at modern Ireland and aware of Rónán Mullen's egregious commentary on social matters must be baffled.

One presumes the graduates of the National University of Ireland are reasonably well educated and informed of such matters, so how on earth could they elect him top of the poll, indeed how could they elect him fullstop.

The only possible explanations I can think of are a) graduates of the National University of Ireland are far more conservative than the rest of society and/ or more likely b) only the religious conservative graduates bother voting.

Anyone else have an idea?

Maybe not everyone thinks like you?

Lot of people would be some what aligned with his positions, maybe not as or driven by religion.

He certainly would be closer to working class positions than many other Senators, especially ones who often use the phrase, the working class.

I've a mixed view of him but I can see where he got his vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

gmisk wrote: »
    I remember him more so for during the live debates on abortion referendum saying he forgave a woman for her choice to abort due to FFA. He comes across as a condescending pr#ck to me. I don't think he did the save the 8th and no side on the marriage ref any favours...quite the opposite... thankfully.
    But he obviously appeals to a certain cross section.
    I can only assume that is word for word accurate which is an hell of an assumption. Terminal illness is extremely common and most of us have encountered it, but nevertheless many of us could never contemplate killing in this situation. What is insulting is the implication you are making that the Prochoice stance on terminal illness in babies is the only moral position that can be tolerated in public discourse. Defeat Mullan on reason not this kind of morality stick. Maybe I am an oddball but I just cant stand this kind of appeal to emotion argument or appeal to personality.
    Edgware wrote: »
    And then you have donkeys like Coppinger wanting it done away with until she gets ****ed out of the Dail trough and needs another one to stick her head in.

The original idea for the Senate was a good idea and allowed expertise in different areas to be heard and considered in a national forum. People like Prof. Crown, Prof Joe Lee, Fergal Quinn were good contributors. But then the political parties started nominating party members and a lot of useless people got in
    Sadly, as as far I can see it was politicised from the early days. I like the concept of the Senad but I have to say during the abolition debate the pro Senad side did an awful job defending it. For example I can't recall a single article listing the top moments of the Senad, the best people did was the history of the Senad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I can only assume that is word for word accurate which is an hell of an assumption. Terminal illness is extremely common and most of us have encountered it, but nevertheless many of us could never contemplate killing in this situation. What is insulting is the implication you are making that the Prochoice stance on terminal illness in babies is the only moral position that can be tolerated in public discourse. Defeat Mullan on reason not this kind of morality stick. Maybe I am an oddball but I just cant stand this kind of appeal to emotion argument or appeal to personality.

Sadly, as as far I can see it was politicised from the early days. I like the concept of the Senad but I have to say during the abolition debate the pro Senad side did an awful job defending it. For example I can't recall a single article listing the top moments of the Senad, the best people did was the history of the Senad.
    You are right. It was taken over by party people very soon after being established

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That was the gist of it.
    Hence why I didn't quote him.
    I did not say people can't have a different opinion when it comes to FFA. I am saying it should be up to the couple involved and the medical advice they receive.
    It's not a morality stick, it was a fairly common occurrence that people had to travel to the UK before the repeal of the 8th even if they had a FFA, they no longer have to thankfully.

You can consider yourself an oddball for your views that is up to you, I couldn't really care less.

At least Mullen is only in the senad so its not as if he has much real power anyway. The place should have been abolished imo when we had the choice.

Here is another article with a direct quote from Ronan Mullen.
    https://extra.ie/2018/05/24/news/irish-news/video-irish-dj-saoirse-long-reduced-to-tears-during-tv3s-debate

'You deserve love and respect despite what you may have done.’
    Coming across as condescending as usual. He did the repeal the 8th and marriage equality a favour when wheeled out at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Geuze wrote: »
    My mother still can't get over this.

They had a party to celebrate abortion!!!!

Was it to celebrate repeal of the 8th amendment or to celebrate abortion? There is a difference between the two

• Registered Users Posts: 8,559 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Was it to celebrate repeal of the 8th amendment or to celebrate abortion? There is a difference between the two
    The 8th restricted abortion to specific circumstances, the repeal of the 8th removed those restrictions, so yes. Celebrating the start of the process of opening up access to abortion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Thankfully he can do f all in the seanad apart from being a poster boy for religious fukwits and the anti-choice crowd.

As others mentioned he helped the pro-choice side during the referendum with his retarded argruments , so I'll always be grateful to him for that.

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Advertisement
Advertisement