Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Dog Groom

Options
  • 01-04-2020 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Could someone recommend the best online resource for learning to groom a Miniature Schnauzer, and also the best home grooming kit or clippers to get (pref available on Amazon as they're still delivering?). Our old Schnauzer gets out of control if she's not groomed every 6-8 weeks and I've no idea when it will be possible to take her to a groomer again.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Aren't they supposed to be hand stripped as opposed to clipped - I guess it depends what kind of groomer you've used in the past as some will clip everything? I'd check out YouTube for some videos.

I only use scissors myself and have a set similar to this which have lasted well. I tend to thin out Bailey's sides/britches, feet as opposed to cutting loads of.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HomdMarket-Grooming-Scissors-Thinning-Dogs,Stainless/dp/B07H3H3LPJ/ref=sr_1_15?crid=3NFOYR24LSQ8S&dchild=1&keywords=dog+grooming+scissors&qid=1585759217&sprefix=dog+gro%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-15

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Most groomers are recommending that their clients just work on keeping their dogs fully brushed a combed out during this time so prevent matting, as if you’re not used to using clippers and scissors on a moving target, it’s very easy to cause injuries. As tk123 said, schnauzers are traditionally handstripped so if this is something that has been done before with your dog, you should continue it at home (your dogs breeder should be able to give you advise). But a lot of pet quality schnauzers are clipped.
    If it is something you absolutely 100% have to try, which again I don’t recommend if you’re not used to it, grooming supplies can be bought on Christie’s Direct website. However decent clippers and the blades you would need don’t come cheap (honestly I couldn’t recommend any cheap ones having not used them). There are also videos on YouTube demonstrating grooming of various breeds which are worth a watch. Just beware that most vets are only doing emergency cases at the moment so be very careful with sharp objects as if an injury occurs it may be tough to get a vets appointment!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

I know it isn't funny, but I wonder if hairdressers and groomers alike are cringing at the thought of people taking all of this into their own hands...

On-topic: would you really need to do a schnauzer? I handstrip my terrier myself, but I wouldn't be overly concerned if he had to go 3 months or so without grooming. I might feel differently about, say, a poodle...

Choc Chip wrote: »
    I know it isn't funny, but I wonder if hairdressers and groomers alike are cringing at the thought of people taking all of this into their own hands...

Most definitely :pac: although I’ll probably be a bit hypocritical in a few weeks time when my own hair drives me nuts and I take the dog clippers to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

I would have thought groomers would be similar to pet shops in terms of essential as some breeds need to be regularly groomed for health reasons.

Our groomer taught me how to groom Esmae, I use the GEIB Buttercup Kisses ones and she stands still the whole time. I couldn’t image trying to scissor cut Mr C, it’d be like when a toddler cuts their own hair :) going by the job I recently did on poor Hermoine (guinea pig).

OH is always impressed by the cut I give Esmae, so he asked me to his hair and I promptly pointed to Hermoine, he’s opted to wait.

• Advertisement

em_cat wrote: »
    I would have thought groomers would be similar to pet shops in terms of essential as some breeds need to be regularly groomed for health reasons.

There is argument for it, and a lot of debates going on within the grooming community about it. I would say we are very necessary, but really any of the “welfare” grooms, as in very matted dogs with bad skin conditions or badly curled nails, could be taken care of by vets during this time. Even if we were open, these kind of cases only get done once or twice a year anyway when their owners bring them so waiting an extra 2-3 weeks wouldn’t make that much difference for them. But I’d imagine there will be a lot of dogs going around with very short haircuts once all this is over!! I’d have some that come to me every 2 weeks to keep up with their coats. I was stressing so much worrying about them, but at the end of the day, it’s necessary for everyone’s wellbeing to stay inside!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I've 3 dogs that have continuously growing hair, they need to be groomed often, I brush and comb almost daily and over the years have learned how to clip and thin hair, how to keep hair in condition etc.
    In the last week I've had 3 people contact me asking if they can borrow my clippers, I said no every time, none had used them before, and after asking for photos 2 weren't as bad as owners thought, I gave directions on how to sort it out without cutting, one was delighted and got through it all, the dog looks great and now they know how to manage the dog is getting daily brushes. One just contacted me today, within 3 hours of following my advice had a big bit done and was happy to continue, she'll let me know how it turns out in a day or two. The third sent me a pic of a seriously matted dog that looks like it's been left for 2 or 3 months, the poor dog is a mess, I felt so bad saying I can't loan them my clippers if they've never used them before as there's no plastic guard combs, mines a professional set. I'd be afraid they'd cut the dog, and it was so bad they should contact the vets, they got mad and didn't reply after saying they'd get one off someone else. I offered advice but they ignored it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

We've a half maltese; unlike previous lockdown, this one was really not in sync with her grooming plans, so had to do something more drastic about it.
    Thanks to an earlier advice here, checked what clippers they have on christiesdirect, but ordered from amazon: we got an Andis, and ordered additional blade for her puppy groom.
    Anyway, first try passed today, after watching many youtubes - I am happy about the result ( & plenty more to learn). Also, not ashamed to say the two of us spent all this grooming time with her, to make the experience most comfortable :).

Advertisement