Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VGA or HDMI splitter

Options
  • 01-04-2020 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭

Ok have a second monitor on the way and has a vga and hdmi connection

However only one hdmi input on the desktop

Currently have 17" dell linked up via vga and main screen via hdmi as its for work and don't do any gaming on it

So I use one screen for main screen and other for emails, spreadsheets etc so I can move one to the other

Is it better to keep with the vga cable or better to get a hdmi splitter

Does it make much of a difference?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

hdmi splitter? Maybe link what you are thinking of if you have found something and probably best to include details of your desktop (what graphics card or motherboard is supplying the video outputs).

I'm sure there are things out there that would let you run both monitors from one hdmi on your PC (assuming that hdmi port is capable of driving a high enough resolution to cover the combined monitors but it probably isn't) but I'd be shocked it they wouldn't cost you more than a cheap graphics card with two suitable outputs! You can just run the new monitor on vga or if you want to get the bit extra quality from a digital connection there's bound to be a sane graphics card you can add.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I thought only display port can do that?

Op , you have 2 outputs, for 2 screens. Are you just replacing one, or looking to get a third?

VGA isnt just for old screens. It can do hi res, once the monitor supports it. It's not limited by the cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Don't have the pc spec see tomorrow when I'm logged on.

What I was looking at was below

HDMI Splitter 1 in 2 out,2 Same Screens Display at the Same Time,HDMI Splitter 4K,1080P,3D, 1 Input 【PS4,PC,etc】 to 2 Output 【Projector,TV,Monitor】,【Just mirror,don't extend】-with 1 Cable https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NW3GB34/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_kgnHEb52VSJ4P

So hdmi from each monitor into splitter and then plug splitter into desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

As that says "Just mirror, don't extend" and it sounds like you want different things on the two screens (extended desktop) so I don't think that's what you want at all? If you really just want the same thing on both screens then ok.

Realistically just use VGA or get a graphics card (probably only worth it if you want to hook up all 3 monitors).

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It sounds like hes got Main + 17" and wants to go to main + new. In that case using the VGA for one of them wont make annnnny difference.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies

Yeah just want second monitor to extend desktop on main monitor. Just used the VGA and seems ok

They are different resolutions one is 1920 while main one is 2560. To get 2560 second monitor not withing budget and ok there is a difference esp in text but I can live with that

If any other suggestions to try to get them to match let me know

Me dont think there is as they are different:rolleyes:

Follow this.
    https://www.pcworld.com/article/2953978/use-windows-10s-individual-display-scaling-to-perfect-your-multi-monitor-setup.html

Itll depend on what size each monitor is but 125% or 150% scaling should get you there.

ED E wrote: »
    Follow this.
    https://www.pcworld.com/article/2953978/use-windows-10s-individual-display-scaling-to-perfect-your-multi-monitor-setup.html

Itll depend on what size each monitor is but 125% or 150% scaling should get you there.

Problem is work not on Windows 10 still on 7🙄

Will have a look around

Advertisement