Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flowers\Plants for a full shade area

Options
  • 01-04-2020 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭

hi lads,

I have a strip of land between my garage and stone wall (currently covered in Furze). It is approx. 3 foot wide by 20 foot long. It's damp but not wet.

Have you any idea of anything I could plant there to cover it?

Thanks,

Tin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd go for this - in fact I am going for this for a semi shaded area

https://www.thegardenshop.ie/ajuga-plants/

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Astilbe is lovely, ideal for damp shade. Also try ferns, hostas foxgloves. Ragged Robbin is a lovely low growing vibrant pink flower that loves damp and can take partial shade. Japanese anemone is another. Good luck trying to source anything at the moment I can’t find a single place open online. A small price to pay for the greater good though!

Ajuga is beautiful, it spreads so easily. Had it a few years ago but kept getting attacked by powdery mildew so unfortunately it had to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

+1 on Ferns
    Also acers typically do well in shade.
    And with my tongue only slightly in my cheek, astroturf does very well in these areas!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

Hi,

so this is my bit of land I would like to plant.

Thanks

IMG-0210.jpg

• Advertisement

You could try honeysuckle, ivy, certain shade loving clematis ( fussy to grow) or climbing hydrangeas as a climbing feature backdrop against the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

Gonna be hard to grow stuff there and have it looking nice long term. Have you considered weed barrier covered with a nice gravel? May be lower maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I find Skimmias grow best in the deep shade on my site .
    You could try hybrid rhododendrons too ,they grow well in the deep shade especially under trees,they are very hard to source though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i recently planted some white wood asters under a decent sized curly hazel, they are claimed to tolerate part shade to shade.

Might be nice to have a central path and plant both sides. I think keeping things simple works well. If you pick a few favorite plants and buy a few of each, then repeat the pattern through out the space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I got a gorgeous purple vinca " autopurprea" in Woodies not long before it shut. I'm growing it as ground cover in a shady area beside a shed. Maybe also consider epimediums and lily of the valley!

Advertisement