Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chinese Big Lie

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

markodaly wrote: »
    Well, there was never a country called Ireland either until recently, but the technicalities aside, what China did in Tibet is classic colonsiam.
    Well there can be a misreading of cultural and politics too in the West with regard to China. For a start from a western standpoint China is not a country, it's an empire and still regards itself in such terms. To them Tibet was within their imperial boundary in the past, so they figure it still should be. In historical European terms it would be akin to Rome lasting much longer and reconquering Britain. They'd see it as taking things back into the fold as it were. Never mind that Tibet was a hardline theocracy with dodgy practices. Don't let that smiling Lama fool you.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone familiar with the chinese practice of Daigou
    Daigou is a form of cross-border exporting in which an individual or a syndicated group of exporters outside China purchases commodities for customers in China

it happened big time in Australia with baby food....

and seemingly its happening right now with medical products esp masks

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well there can be a misreading of cultural and politics too in the West with regard to China. For a start from a western standpoint China is not a country, it's an empire and still regards itself in such terms. To them Tibet was within their imperial boundary in the past, so they figure it still should be. In historical European terms it would be akin to Rome lasting much longer and reconquering Britain. They'd see it as taking things back into the fold as it were. Never mind that Tibet was a hardline theocracy with dodgy practices. Don't let that smiling Lama fool you.

Their was even a strong element within britain,who taught ireland should rejoin and make brexit easy for em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

If you replace the word China with UK and Tibet with Ireland your post reads rather sinisterly!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 goldbug371

fryup wrote: »

Why do so many mainland Chinese choose to buy baby formula from abroad - current crisis aside?

Because they don't trust local brands because of all the deaths caused by fake products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

fryup wrote: »

wasn't just australia, happened in Ireland too. Boots moved to two packs per person.

I understand Chinese business has bought and build milk powered factories in Aus, NZ and other places since, maybe Dundalk I think one is being built.

goldbug371 wrote: »
    Why do so many mainland Chinese choose to buy baby formula from abroad - current crisis aside?

Because they don't trust local brands because of all the deaths caused by fake products.

This is down to that milk scandal a few years back. I understand those involved had the most severe of punishments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

2u2me wrote: »
    If you replace the word China with UK and Tibet with Ireland your post reads rather sinisterly!
    It's not.
    Ireland (the Republic of) is an independent country that is a member of the UN and recognized as a country by every other country in the globe.
    Tibet is not and has never been recognized as a country, ever.

Sure, during the Chinese Civil War that whack religious group of Lamas got to run roughshod over the people of that part of China, but after the Civil War when China got back on track they turfed out those Lamas and put proper order back in place.

It's more like south county Armagh during the troubles.
    No-go areas for British soldiers so bad actors having their way, for a time.
    But once 'order' is restored the place is back under the control of Stormont and the British Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,457 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

What? Is that a joke? There has never been a country called Taiwan!!!!(:D)

I see you want to argue semantic.
    Taiwan is a separate independent entity from China and many would certainly see it as a different 'country' than PROC.

I for one do hope they remain a democratic independent state.

Taiwan is a separate independent entity from China and many would certainly see it as a different 'country' than PROC.

but it is the ROC as opposed to the PROC

• Advertisement

Perhaps, but in the process they killed 1/5 of the population and tried to eradticate Tibetan culture.
    Genocide and ethnic cleansing at its finest practiced the the CCP.

The world was one time full of empires, but now we have moved to the notion of independent nation states. Tibet in my opinion should be an independent country, just like Nepal and Bhutan. Just because the Chineese once ruled it back in the day doest excuse that. If it were the case, sure Britain can claim that its OK for them to reconquer half of Africa and Ireland....

but it is the ROC as opposed to the PROC

The Portuguese formerly knew it as Formosa (beautiful) and they were right.

Tbh,the us,is so fcuked they not going up againest anyone anywya

They have problems, like many countries but the US is not as weak as people think.
    Everyday we have internet keyboard warriors proclaiming the end of American. Yet, they are still by all intents and purposes No.1 in many areas, including militarily.

The more you post,the more it seems you just want to topple the communist party and are using cv-19 to shoehorn in,some preceived aggrevaience with them (i hope im wrong)

what party do you propose takes it place there,to best my knowlegde they are a 1 party state??

I would like to see an end to all authoritarian regimes and China is included in that. If this is the beginning of the end of the CCP, then I am happy.

What political party took over after the Nazi party fell in Germany?

Perhaps, but in the process they killed 1/5 of the population and tried to eradticate Tibetan culture.
    Genocide and ethnic cleansing at its finest practiced the the CCP.

The world was one time full of empires, but now we have moved to the notion of independent nation states. Tibet in my opinion should be an independent country, just like Nepal and Bhutan. Just because the Chineese once ruled it back in the day doest excuse that. If it were the case, sure Britain can claim that its OK for them to reconquer half of Africa and Ireland....
    The concept of a country called Tibet comes from the CIA Tibet Program,
    the goal of the program was "to keep the political concept of an autonomous Tibet alive within Tibet and among several foreign nations."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIA_Tibetan_program

The Lamas were the patsy.
    Not to mention gullible people inside Tibet.
    That holy Dalai Lama was paid by the CIA, he admitted it.

The Portuguese formerly knew it as Formosa (beautiful) and they were right.

Is your wife an aboriginal decent or Chinese decent from the island?

BluePlanet wrote: »
    Sure, during the Chinese Civil War that whack religious group of Lamas got to run roughshod over the people of that part of China, but after the Civil War when China got back on track they turfed out those Lamas and put proper order back in place.

So Tibet agree to give up sovereignty in return for autonomy, then the Chinese kill between 200,000 and 1,000,000 Tibetans in the 'great leap forward' as long as many works of culture and temples.

Followed by many, many brutal suppressions. Your summation: "turfed out those lamas" just seems illfitting here.

No not at all, it was a joke. See post number 346 will explain all!

So Tibet agree to give up sovereignty in return for autonomy, then the Chinese kill between 200,000 and 1,000,000 Tibetans in the 'great leap forward' as long as many works of culture and temples.

Followed by many, many brutal suppressions. Your summation: "turfed out those lamas" just seems illfitting here.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.
    Do you have anything that isn't sourced from the CIA?

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.
    Do you have anything that isn't sourced from the CIA?

UNHCR

The concept of a country called Tibet comes from the CIA Tibet Program,
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIA_Tibetan_program

The Lamas were the patsy.
    Not to mention gullible people inside Tibet.
    That holy Dalai Lama was paid by the CIA, he admitted it.

I get what you are saying but again, you are arguing sematics, in order to not address the over arching point, that China committed genocide and ethnic cleansing in 'Tibet'.

So, you either abide by those facts or not.

By the was, the word Tibet, is a lot older than the CIA.
    The English adjective Tibetian is first recorded only as late as 1747, when Tibet was under Qing rule (the modern form Tibetan is from 1822). The proper noun is first recorded in 1827, as Thibet.[1] The western name of Tibet is, however, much older, recorded in the 13th century (when Tibet was under Mongol rule) by Giovanni da Pian del Carpine and William Rubruck, as Tebet. William Rubruck (1253) records Tebet as the name of a people, situated beyond the Tangut, characterized by their custom of mortuary cannibalism (i.e. of eating their dead parents).[2] The name Tebet appears to be a loan from an Iranian or Turkic language, perhaps Sogdian.[3] In 17th-century Modern Latin, Tibet is known as Tibetum (also Thibetum, Tibet, Thobbat, Tubet).[4] The ultimate origin of the name, however, remains unclear. Suggestions include derivation from Tibetan, Turkic or Chinese.

The proposed Tibetan etymology derives the term from Stod-bod (pronounced Tö-bhöt) "High/Upper Tibet" from the autonym Bod.[5][6][7][8][9] Andreas Gruschke's study of the Tibetan Amdo Province says,

At the beginning of the Tang dynasty's rule of China, Tibetans were called Tubo, a term that seems to be derived from tu phod or stod pod (upper Tibet). The archaic Tibetan dialects of Amdo have retained the articulation of the medieval Tibetan language; as such the pronunciation is Töwöd, as in Mongolian tongue. Thus, the term was handed down as Tübüt in Turkish diction, Tibbat in Arabic and passed on as Tibet in Western languages.

• Advertisement

China has 56 nationalities with different cultures. I always know when to spot a moron when they speak off all chinese peoples with one brush for everything.

Is your wife an aboriginal decent or Chinese decent from the island?

Getting into my backstory a little too much but I sense friendly intentions:)

She's Hakka 客家人 so Chinese decent

It's not.
    Ireland (the Republic of) is an independent country that is a member of the UN and recognized as a country by every other country in the globe.
    Tibet is not and has never been recognized as a country, ever.

Israel didn't exist before WWII, new countries have been popping up these past few decades, South Sudan the last one in 2011.
    Ireland didn't exist as a country till recently.

Proper order? I guess that's what the Nazi's tried to do with 1944 Warsaw. :D:pac:
    It's more like south county Armagh during the troubles.
    No-go areas for British soldiers so bad actors having their way, for a time.
    But once 'order' is restored the place is back under the control of Stormont and the British Government.

You mean colonised?

China has 56 nationalities with different cultures. I always know when to spot a moron when they speak off all chinese peoples with one brush for everything.

How many of those different cultures are they trying to eradicate?

none that i am aware of

What about the Uyghurs?

What about the Muslims?

Hui, Uyghurs, Kazakhs, Dongxiang people, Kyrgyz people, Salar, Tajiks, Uzbeks, Bonans and Tatars?

Hui, Uyghurs, Kazakhs, Dongxiang people, Kyrgyz people, Salar, Tajiks, Uzbeks, Bonans and Tatars?

Why did you misrepresnt this quoted text?

Why did you misrepresnt this quoted text?

I think you better ask the original poster why they edited it

• Advertisement

I think you better ask the original poster why they edited it

I edited it to be more accurate indeed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7AYyUqrMuQ

Advertisement