Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Smaller European that have been affected to a similar extent to us are beginning to reopen sectors on a phased basis. I think the idea that the current restrictions will be in place for any more than 2-4 weeks is unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭bladespin

ITman88 wrote: »

Reopen construction immediately using social distancing measures.

That was the main reason Construction was closed, distancing was virtually impossible around facilities.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

most places don't have a plan for phase II because there is still no readily available test with a quick turnaround time.

also not sure on what data protection issues might be thrown up around the use of phone location data for contact tracing and whether Ireland gov has this level of tech sophistication (storing of large amounts of data re what phones were near other other and when)

both of these elements are critical for effectively closing down the new clusters that will pop up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,954 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

bladespin wrote: »
    That was the main reason Construction was closed, distancing was virtually impossible around facilities.

Best get rid of health and safety so. Must get working for glory of motherland economy.

If they die in an accident just get new workers to replace them. Only economy matter not lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There'll be two more weeks of full lockdown (to 26th April at least), followed by 2-4 weeks where schools, pubs, and other places where people gather remain closed, but non-essential businesses can remain open provided they put distancing & hygiene measures in place.

Cases appear to be peaking this weekend, we won't see deaths begin to peak until next week at the earliest, so the lockdown is necessary.

Schools will remain closed through to September as it's virtually impossible to social distance in a classroom.

University exams and LC exams will go ahead provided that they implement distancing measures - use classrooms with 3/4 pupils in each classroom instead of a big exam hall.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Next week.

I’ve said it before, we are incredibly well poised to fight this using just social distancing.

Our most populated region, Dublin, is only the 34th most populated region in Europe.

In Italy 15m are over 65.
    In Ireland the figure is 600k.
    Much more manageable.

And plan a swift return for as many as possible.

There is no plan, Holohan and Leo have admitted this.
    No plan

As has been pointed out many times previously social distancing isn`t practical on a construction site due to the nature of the work involved. You are choosing to ignore this fact.

Next week.

I’ve said it before, we are incredibly well poised to fight this using just social distancing.

Our most populated region, Dublin, is only the 34th most populated region in Europe.

In Italy 15m are over 65.
    In Ireland the figure is 600k.
    Much more manageable.

And plan a swift return for as many as possible.

There is no plan, Holohan and Leo have admitted this.
    No plan

When have they admitted this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Nermal

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    if we keep at this for another couple of weeks

Christ. Someone take him aside and tell him that in two weeks, we'll be exactly like we are now but €1.7B poorer.

Here's the UK doing what we cannot - directly financing government expenditure:
    https://www.ft.com/content/664c575b-0f54-44e5-ab78-2fd30ef213cb

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

As has been pointed out many times previously social distancing isn`t practical on a construction site due to the nature of the work involved. You are choosing to ignore this fact.

It can be done.

We just have to many people justifying the holiday at present.

Where there’s a will there is a way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Sconsey wrote: »
    Ok let me spell it out for you so since you are playing dumb:

You admint to using the term 'lockdown fetishists' and then then get high and mighty claimng you don't use asinine comments.

I described suck it up as an asinine comment. Seems our definition is different as to what constitutes asinine.
    If you are seeking a row ,wasting your time with me. Have a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

St.Spodo wrote: »
    Smaller European that have been affected to a similar extent to us are beginning to reopen sectors on a phased basis. I think the idea that the current restrictions will be in place for any more than 2-4 weeks is unlikely.

Harris more or less said this over the last while that long term restrictions wont happen.

I'd say up to may bank holiday and then phased reopening after that. His comments today seem to reflect that

seamus wrote: »
    There'll be two more weeks of full lockdown (to 26th April at least), followed by 2-4 weeks where schools, pubs, and other places where people gather remain closed, but non-essential businesses can remain open provided they put distancing & hygiene measures in place.

Cases appear to be peaking this weekend, we won't see deaths begin to peak until next week at the earliest, so the lockdown is necessary.

Schools will remain closed through to September as it's virtually impossible to social distance in a classroom.

University exams and LC exams will go ahead provided that they implement distancing measures - use classrooms with 3/4 pupils in each classroom instead of a big exam hall.

Surely supervision would be an issue if this was to be implemented.

When have they admitted this?

Ah do I have to go looking for the quotes so you can ignore them

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

The country needs to re-open on the 1st of May at that latest. Extending a lockdown further than that is insane. As they say, the cure shouldn't be worse than the disease. Open the 1st of May and adhere to social distancing and hygiene guidelines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭arctictree

My young lad, who is sport mad is being driven crazy due to lack of matches and training. Anyone have a rough idea when team sports will be back up again? (Football, Hurling, Soccer etc....)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

arctictree wrote: »
    My young lad, who is sport mad is being driven crazy due to lack of matches and training. Anyone have a rough idea when team sports will be back up again? (Football, Hurling, Soccer etc....)

Honestly I dont see any team sports this year. Maybe football in the winter, buy I'd say no summer sports.

arctictree wrote: »

Very hard to know, judging by some of the posters suggestions on here, he could be senior hurling by the time we are out of the police state

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hawkwing

This is an unprecedented global pandemic.

Surely supervision would be an issue if this was to be implemented.
    Plenty of teachers will be available for this since the primary schools will still be shut.
    It'll cost more, but shouldn't be a major problem

• Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I'll take the time to respond to you once more. Firstly I have used the phrase lock down fetishist once and my only reference to those that seem to enjoy same.
    My situation is quite benign actually rural house on an acre of land 1O miles from nearest town. So getting out for a run/walk twice a day no issue. Few neighbours some distance from me. Still working and will be eventhough I'm on a week's leave next week. My work is essential.
    I don't presume to tell others how they should feel or use asinine comments like 'suck it up'.
    As I said dislike a comment scroll on by, a tactic I use with the majority of yours.
    Now it's a discussion forum people are entitled to voice their thoughts if you have issues with that maybe a different outlet would suit better.
    Feel free to reply but I will however be using my already explained tactic of scrolling.

What about asinine comments like "lockdown fetishist". I tell you what; you stop lecturing people and putting labels on them on how they are responding to this before you complain about others you claim are preaching.

"My work is essential" he says, everyone's work is ultimately essential. Get down off your high horse.

As this develops almost everyone will begin to know personally someone who has died or are suffering from this. They are trying to get on top of this and maintain control of the health services during this initial bout of the virus. They deserve our support and discipline and patience.

• Advertisement

hawkwing wrote: »

You need to stop reading tabloids and listening to the fairies, it’s not that bad.

We won’t see many deaths restrictions or not, the numbers of vulnerable simply aren’t there to see any unprecedented health issue

niallo27 wrote: »
    Honestly I dont see any team sports this year. Maybe football in the winter, buy I'd say no summer sports.

The GAA are probably hoping they can pick up the championships in July and run a condensed timetable through to October.

I don't realistically see them being allowed to cram 83,000 people into Croke Park before September though.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

Not a hope that it will be extended that long in my opinion. Two more weeks tops of current restrictions and then months of other lesser restrictions...

Would be nice if we could, but it's overly ambitious I reckon. It's going to be another month at least I'd say, or until we see the number of daily new infections going down...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,954 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It can be done.

We just have to many people justifying the holiday at present.

Where there’s a will there is a way

Yes down with health and safety.

Thats your next agenda sorted IT.

You need to stop reading tabloids and listening to the fairies, it’s not that bad.

We won’t see many deaths restrictions or not, the numbers of vulnerable simply aren’t there to see any unprecedented health issue

It's already an unprecedented health issue...!

Would be nice if we could, but it's overly ambitious I reckon. It's going to be another month at least I'd say, or until we see the number of daily new infections going down...
    The data already tentatively suggests that the number of daily cases is dropping, but we're still a couple of days away from knowing if it's a proper trend or a lull.

seamus wrote: »
    The data already tentatively suggests that the number of daily cases is dropping, but we're still a couple of days away from knowing if it's a proper trend or a lull.

Yup, Dr. Holohan was saying it'd be the end of this week by the time we have a clearer sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

hawkwing wrote: »

Without making any comment about the relaxation of restrictions, I'm pretty sure this pandemic is not unprecedented

JMNolan wrote: »
    Without making any comment about the relaxation of restrictions, I'm pretty sure this pandemic is not unprecedented

In our time...

• Advertisement

Not it’s not an unprecedented health issue.

It’s an unprecedented response

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement