Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

road_high wrote: »
    The lockdown Fetishists will be delighted- another business down the drain. Soon there won’t be much left to go to bar supermarkets and nothing to spend
    https://www.businesspost.ie/companies/debenhams-to-put-its-irish-arm-into-liquidation-49b98491

Mod: Stop with this "lockdown Fetish" crap. People being responsible doesn't mean they enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,954 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

ITman88 wrote: »
    Not it’s not an unprecedented health issue.

It’s an unprecedented response

Dissapointed you didnt blame the tabloids again or just say its all fake news/a hoax.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

Not it’s not an unprecedented health issue.

It’s an unprecedented response

It is - when in our time was there a highly contagious disease (that can affect the young just as much as the elderly) floating around with no vaccine and no cure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

It is - when in our time was there a highly contagious disease (that can affect the young just as much as the elderly) floating around with no vaccine and no cure?

You're wasting your time trying to reason with him. He's joined at the hip with that other fool facehugger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

It's already an unprecedented health issue...!

Nope, Black death , Spanish Flu just to name two previous pandemic outbreaks.

• Advertisement

How did you make it through those two?! I was saying above we're talking about in our time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

I lived through the AIDS pandemic.

JMNolan wrote: »
    I lived through the AIDS pandemic.

You didn't get that from simply walking through a group of people though, or jumping on the bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Nermal wrote: »
    Christ. Someone take him aside and tell him that in two weeks, we'll be exactly like we are now but €1.7B poorer.

Here's the UK doing what we cannot - directly financing government expenditure:
    https://www.ft.com/content/664c575b-0f54-44e5-ab78-2fd30ef213cb

But but but, we will save 50000 lives globally, we must set fire to ourselves to do that!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Generally if the best answer you can come up with involves saying something isn't as bad as the Black Death, you're on a pretty shaky footing....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Ah FFS Kiki I’m after spitting out my coffee with that statement

Those civil servants are manning the jammed phonelines regarding welfare payments and risking their lives for your coffee break.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Very hard to know, judging by some of the posters suggestions on here, he could be senior hurling by the time we are out of the police state

If you think that the restrictions we have now are evidence of a "police state" then you should take a look at what was implemented in China and Singapore after the virus started to take hold there.

How did you make it through those two?! I was saying above we're talking about in our time :)

There are still people alive from the Spanish flu era.
    Btw you claimed the virus affects the young the same as the elderly. (My response was in reply to your claim of unprecedented pandemic which is untrue. Feel free to move the goal posts however.)
    Are you aware of the median age of mortality due to the virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Trying to compare what’s going on to the AIDS pandemic is a bit of a reach. In many ways that was far worse and far more stigmatising and millions died. However, the initial handling of AIDS saw people avoiding shaking hands with gay men and avoiding being near them. As we learn more about Covid we might better understand transmission and where once you wouldn’t even dream of kissing a Poz person we now know it’s hard to transmit that way.

Those civil servants are manning the jammed phonelines regarding welfare payments and risking their lives for your coffee break.

How is someone answering a phone risking their life?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

They are practicing social distancing - it's not exactly the front-line. I do wonder though why they haven't seen if they can work from home a bit more. Other people are working with sensitive data from home too so I don't think GDPR cuts it.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭delricyo

arctictree wrote: »
    My young lad, who is sport mad is being driven crazy due to lack of matches and training. Anyone have a rough idea when team sports will be back up again? (Football, Hurling, Soccer etc....)

I'd say the League of Ireland is finished now. Only a handful of clubs have the money to keep themselves ticking over.

There are still people alive from the Spanish flu era.
    Btw you claimed the virus affects the young the same as the elderly. (My response was in reply to your claim of unprecedented pandemic which is untrue. Feel free to move the goal posts however.)
    Are you aware of the median age of mortality due to the virus?

Not moving any goalposts, it seems obvious that this is not unprecedented in history. I am sure there were pandemics that happened three thousand years ago that we here know nothing about. When people say 'unprecedented' it appears they mean in our lifetime, IMO at least.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Well there was swine flu, SARS, MERS but they were on nowhere near the scale of this virus outbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Have heard from two different people now that they are allowing hardware stores open again on Monday.

This can't be true can it? I'm not seeing it anywhere online or have I missed something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭KaneToad

How is someone answering a phone risking their life?

They are doing it from a central office with others present. They will be encountering more people in a day than many will encounter in a week. They are at a higher risk of catching a virus that has no cure and could be fatal. That is the risk to their life. It wouldn't be on a par with that of those working in a hospital environment but it is higher than that of people who are staying at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Have heard from two different people now that they are allowing hardware stores open again on Monday.

This can't be true can it? I'm not seeing it anywhere online or have I missed something?

Nothing official on this as of yet, maybe they've heard it through the grapevine.

Generally if the best answer you can come up with involves saying something isn't as bad as the Black Death, you're on a pretty shaky footing....

The poster I replied to, claimed the present pandemic is unprecedented. I gave two examples to disprove that claim.
    Your response seems to be based on something you think I said . I suggest you read what I said and not attribute something to me I never said.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Most hardware stores are wide expansive places that are never too busy, and if people are buying stuff in there to keep themselves busy it'd be much better than people leaving the house because they're board.

There's also likely to be a few people who have repairs overdue that they weren't able to do because the hardware shops were closed.

They'd be the first places I'd open when restrictions are relaxed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Heard that too. But from the sisters husband. But not official. They said this weekend but can't see that happening, no way. So many would have heart failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Downlinz

It seems a grey area where they're being asked to remain closed but the new legislation has meant Gardai can't legally enforce this. I presume this will be clarified soon.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/bank-holiday-weekend-confusion-as-new-laws-allow-garden-centres-and-hardware-shops-to-reopen-39116286.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

ixoy wrote: »
    They are practicing social distancing - it's not exactly the front-line. I do wonder though why they haven't seen if they can work from home a bit more. Other people are working with sensitive data from home too so I don't think GDPR cuts it.

It's not just GDPR, mainly that some crap needs bumping upstairs and group consults on complex calls are commonplace. Agreed, 99% of the calls could be taken by someone in Tahiti. It's the hairy and sometimes very vulnerable ones that cause issues.

i.e. non-citizens on GNIB cards, frontier workers (that hit the papers today), the self-employed (which is every busker you ever walked past amongst others).

Naturally, the top brass have scattered back to their conference calls regarding statistics. Which is ****ing helpful when "I want to talk to your manager" raises it's head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

marno21 wrote: »
    Most hardware stores are wide expansive places that are never too busy, and if people are buying stuff in there to keep themselves busy it'd be much better than people leaving the house because they're board.

There's also likely to be a few people who have repairs overdue that they weren't able to do because the hardware shops were closed.

They'd be the first places I'd open when restrictions are relaxed.

Oh I agree, they'd be first place I'd open back up too but I'd just be very surprised if true. I hope its the case as I have a DIY project I want to do but can't get a supply of wood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,823 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

There are videos going around of Bill Gates, George Bush and Barack Obama pretty much outlining the at that point hypothetical scenario of exactly what has happened and is continuing to happen in relation to this.

They themselves acted on that to lesser or greater degrees in funding research setting up organisations to assist with preparations for this but others have undermined those efforts.

We should remember this in relation to warnings about the climate because the same sort of science based awareness is calling for action now and there are many who are eager to say it is BS who when it happens will claim it was unprecedented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Downlinz wrote: »
    It seems a grey area where they're being asked to remain closed but the new legislation has meant Gardai can't legally enforce this. I presume this will be clarified soon.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/bank-holiday-weekend-confusion-as-new-laws-allow-garden-centres-and-hardware-shops-to-reopen-39116286.html

Was a cock up in the new legislation, means they can open over the weekend but would have to close then again, I think the govt. will rely on goodwill to keep them closed, this would have been one of their busiest times of the year so they must be hurting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement