Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,234 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

ixoy wrote: »
    They are practicing social distancing - it's not exactly the front-line. I do wonder though why they haven't seen if they can work from home a bit more. Other people are working with sensitive data from home too so I don't think GDPR cuts it.
    Phone systems (probably cloud based) would have to be setup and tested, mobile phones, headsets and peripherals purchased.
    Citrix licenses, laptops etc are all also very expensive.
    Source - I work in ICT for a government department....
    We have 570ish out of 700 roughly working from home. Some others have chosen to work in office or can't work from home but plenty of space, social distancing etc in place in offices that are still open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Not moving any goalposts, it seems obvious that this is not unprecedented in history. I am sure there were pandemics that happened three thousand years ago that we here know nothing about. When people say 'unprecedented' it appears they mean in our lifetime, IMO at least.
    Unprecedented means never happened before and the Spanish flu was not 3,000 years ago. As I told there is still people alive today who lived during that era.
    Anyway you claimed the virus had the same affect on the young so once again do you know the median mortality age of the victims here in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭arctictree

Have heard from two different people now that they are allowing hardware stores open again on Monday.

This can't be true can it? I'm not seeing it anywhere online or have I missed something?

Our local hardware store never closed! They also sell fuel and animal feed so I think they are allowed stay open. Business has never been better apparently!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

Unprecedented means never happened before and the Spanish flu was not 3,000 years ago. As I told there is still people alive today who lived during that era.
    Anyway you claimed the virus had the same affect on the young so once again do you know the median mortality age of the victims here in Ireland?

Not sure you're quite getting it, I've said several times unprecedented in our lifetime. I know when the Spanish flu happened and unless you're over 100 years old it didn't affect you directly.

I also didn't say it had the same effect on the young as the old, I said it affects both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

It's bonkers that they can't open, as a poster above said they are usually vast stores where it's easy to social distance. Just employ the sort of queuing systems that supermarkets have. O visited a hardware store about 4 weeks ago who were particularly proactive. They had set up sinks in the lobby and requested that customers wash their hands before entering the store, they had a a queuing system after this, and they were limiting the number of people in the store to about 20 despite it being a large one.

This is what frustrates me so much about this ill thought out lockdown, the government would buy themselves a lot of goodwill and extra time if they threw the general public a carrot by helping them to make the most of being stuck at home to get jobs done around the house. It also would have the benefit of injecting some money back into the economy. I'd prefer to see them advising people to try and only do one big shop a week in supermarkets and then using the bit of leeway this might afford us to open a broader range of shops and services.

As usual they've gone for the cop out one size fits all approach because it's just easier for them, god forbid they might have to put some actual thought into something.

• Advertisement

It's already an unprecedented health issue...!

This was your claim, no mention of our LIFETIME.As I said feel free to move the goal posts each time you are called out on your claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭greenfield21

How can we protest against the lockdown? Surely someone can organise a protest march through Dublin. Can we have a vote, I'd say the majority want their country back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭johnfás

The global economy was very different in 1917 than today. It is very different today even to 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭delricyo

How can we protest against the lockdown? Surely someone can organise a protest march through Dublin. Can we have a vote, I'd say the majority want their country back.

Would have to be a virtual protest via Zoom, I'd say :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Contact Gemma O`Doherty about it.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

This was your claim, no mention of our LIFETIME.As I said feel free to move the goal posts each time you are called out on your claims.

Lol, this is an unprecedented health crisis for us. If you want to talk about the Spanish Flu or the Black Death, feel free - not sure what relevance it has for us, here, in 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,665 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Not getting any easier when you see videos of someone with the initials GD or G'O'D calling out guards for all sorts of things

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

A few more cars around my town today (bray) , in saying that you won't get very far. Huge checkpoints on the roads in either side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Everyone wants ‘their country back’

johnfás wrote: »
    The global economy was very different in 1917 than today. It is very different today even to 2000.

Has the definition of pandemic changed in the intervening years?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

gmisk wrote: »
    Phone systems (probably cloud based) would have to be setup and tested, mobile phones, headsets and peripherals purchased.
    Citrix licenses, laptops etc are all also very expensive.
    Source - I work in ICT for a government department....
    Agreed but relatively low costs in the grander scheme of things. I don't even mean everyone either - but some working from home surely. I know of one place where they're doing shift work for example because it seems nobody can work from home because their capabilities are so poor. Is there no move to look at this?
    Fairly well aware of some of these particular issues myself (sure even MS Azure is running into capacity problems) but as this may be around for a while, some moves are surely being made to address it at a local level.

Getting fed up already of checkpoints. Went through 2 on my 15km drive home from work yesterday.
    I had to post a parcel to my daughter in Vancouver today - its my little granddaughter's 1st birthday on 9 May and it will take a month (easily) to get there. Was stopped driving in to the town (1.5 km from my house) and also on the way back . This is not a main road to anywhere - its not a motorway to The West, The South, or The Northwest.

Lol, this is an unprecedented health crisis for us. If you want to talk about the Spanish Flu or the Black Death, feel free - not sure what relevance it has for us, here, in 2020.

No interest in talking about either about the Spanish flu or Plague, you claimed the present pandemic is unprecedented I like another poster demonstrated how wrong you were .
    I see though you still have ignored the the question I asked you about median mortality rates in regards your other claim.
    I suspect you won't answer so I'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Yes please, the guards can arrest the entire majority in one go. Not a military genius in a previous life, were you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Getting fed up already of checkpoints. Went through 2 on my 15km drive home from work yesterday.
    I had to post a parcel to my daughter in Vancouver today - its my little granddaughter's 1st birthday on 9 May and it will take a month (easily) to get there. Was stopped driving in to the town (1.5 km from my house) and also on the way back . This is not a main road to anywhere - its not a motorway to The West, The South, or The Northwest.
    People complain when they aren't out and now they're out and still complain.

There are checkpoints for all our safety

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Can't believe you are complaining about the Gardaí enforcing the law.

No interest in talking about either about the Spanish flu or Plague, you claimed the present pandemic is unprecedented I like another poster demonstrated how wrong you were .
    I see though you still have ignored the the question I asked you about median mortality rates in regards your other claim.
    I suspect you won't answer so I'll leave it at that.

I'm correct in saying the pandemic is unprecedented in our lifetime. I can google the median mortality rate but no interest in that. I already know it affects the young and old, much more than say the regular flu.

Not sure what you are trying to say or prove or why this matters so much to you. If you believe that we shouldn't be having a shutdown then or something, you must know you are wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Get over yourself. They are protecting people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,747 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

So posting a parcel is that essential - no wonder this country is so f**ked - your coming on here to complain about the Garda and you are doing stuff that you were told not to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Ace2007 wrote: »
    So posting a parcel is that essential - no wonder this country is so f**ked - your coming on here to complain about the Garda and you are doing stuff that you were told not to?

Posting a parcel isn't risky. People seriously need to calm down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

VonLuck wrote: »

The shock and horror of someone getting into their car and driving to a Post Office. Fine and lockdown immediately!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

People complain when they aren't out and now they're out and still complain.

There are checkpoints for all our safety
    VonLuck wrote: »
    alroley wrote: »
    Get over yourself. They are protecting people.

LOL. Back in your box Maggie. Whist with your complaining

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

It is indeed if business are forced to completely close for much longer tbh.
    And maybe not essential but no doubt very important for the posters mental health and goodwill to have that little connection with family far away. Let them have it, no bloody harm done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

A social distancing march.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,747 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

AdamD wrote: »
    Posting a parcel isn't risky. People seriously need to calm down
    road_high wrote: »
    The shock and horror of someone getting into their car and driving to a Post Office. Fine and lockdown immediately!

It doesn't have to be risky, if your told not to do something - then why do it?
    What happens if Maggie has the virus - now the postmaster probably has it - and everyone else that goes to the post office will now probably get it - all because Maggie wanted to send a parcel to her grandchild.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement