Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,747 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

road_high wrote: »
    It is indeed if business are forced to completely close for much longer tbh.
    And maybe not essential but no doubt very important for the posters mental health and goodwill to have that little connection with family far away. Let them have it, no bloody harm done.

So you know for 100% that Maggie doesn't have the virus - she says that she is working - so you have to assume that is an essential service.... which given that she is out and about daily increases her chances of getting the virus than others who are staying at home.

What happens in the parcel gets lost in postage - her family far away will not get it - pick up the phone and face time or Skype - that' more personal than sending a parcel, - what if the delivery person on the other side has the virus and passes onto her family?

Most bank holidays we see road deaths - i'm hoping this year we don't, but what would be worse if an innocent person loses their lives on our roads, because someone wanted to do something that wasn't essential...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Ace2007 wrote: »
    So you know for 100% that Maggie doesn't have the virus - she says that she is working - so you have to assume that is an essential service.... which given that she is out and about daily increases her chances of getting the virus than others who are staying at home.

What happens in the parcel gets lost in postage - her family far away will not get it - pick up the phone and face time or Skype - that' more personal than sending a parcel, - what if the delivery person on the other side has the virus and passes onto her family?

Most bank holidays we see road deaths - i'm hoping this year we don't, but what would be worse if an innocent person loses their lives on our roads, because someone wanted to do something that wasn't essential...

What if............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Life involves risks everyday. Including simply crossing the road. If you want to stay at home in cotton wool then no one is stopping you.
    Let others decide what is appropriate and lift the lock-down on a phased basis once spreads is brought under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Life involves risks everyday. Including simply crossing the road. If you want to stay at home in cotton wool then no one is stopping you.
    Let others decide what is appropriate and lift the lock-down on a phased basis once spreads is brought under control.

No, you let the law decide what is appropriate. That's the whole idea of having laws.

The bold is what we are seeing in the UK and US - people doing what they feel appropriate - Do you want that to be Ireland?

If your told to stay in doors, why not just follow the medial experts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

gmisk wrote: »
    Phone systems (probably cloud based) would have to be setup and tested, mobile phones, headsets and peripherals purchased.
    Citrix licenses, laptops etc are all also very expensive.
    Source - I work in ICT for a government department....
    We have 570ish out of 700 roughly working from home. Some others have chosen to work in office or can't work from home but plenty of space, social distancing etc in place in offices that are still open

Sounds like DoH to me

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Getting fed up already of checkpoints. Went through 2 on my 15km drive home from work yesterday.
    I had to post a parcel to my daughter in Vancouver today - its my little granddaughter's 1st birthday on 9 May and it will take a month (easily) to get there. Was stopped driving in to the town (1.5 km from my house) and also on the way back . This is not a main road to anywhere - its not a motorway to The West, The South, or The Northwest.

I was gone for an hour and Maggie has been assassinated on this thread by vigilante’s.

Post your parcel Maggie it’s 1.5 km from your house to where you need to go.

Vigilantism will not cure Covid,

ITman88 wrote: »
    I was gone for an hour and Maggie has been assassinated on this thread by vigilante’s.

What has the 1.5km from her house got to with her going to post a parcel?

If the post office was 15km away - would that make a difference?

Your comment is just another example of someone who doesn't actually know what they can and can't do - and has decided that they can do anything as long as they are within 2km - which is not the case - 2km relates to exercise only.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Where did you go for the hour ITman? I'm hoping it was less than 2 km from your bedroom and you kept your distance. We need to put trackers on these people.

It is - when in our time was there a highly contagious disease (that can affect the young just as much as the elderly) floating around with no vaccine and no cure?

The only highly contagious disease in our time, that’s as dangerous to the young as the elderly is the flu.

Covid is not remotely as dangerous to the young as the old.

• Advertisement

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Where did you go for the hour ITman? I'm hoping it was less than 2 km from your bedroom and you kept your distance. We need to put trackers on these people.

Mammy turned off the internet to make me clean my room

The only highly contagious disease in our time, that’s as dangerous to the young as the elderly is the flu.

Covid is not remotely as dangerous to the young as the old.

Would you attitude be different if it was?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Your comment is just another example of someone who doesn't actually know what they can and can't do - and has decided that they can do anything as long as they are within 2km - which is not the case - 2km relates to exercise only.
    It was a parcel - interacting with one of the services that's opened for business as an essential service.

I mean how far do you want this to go? One shop a week? Question the contents of that shopping to ensure they only buy essentials so they go less often?

"Ah lady, you can't buy biscuits and that packaging on those sweets is going to take up too much room. Here, I'll throw it out and you can buy these tins of beans and save going shopping for another day. Stay at home! Wash your hands!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Hardware stores and Garden centres can legally open as Gardai have no powers to shut them down:

Independent TD Michael McNamara said garden centres and hardware shops should be allowed open during the crisis. "The Government, like everybody else, is bound by the law. Having made the law, the Government must abide by it,” he said of the new regulations.

“What's the difference between being able to go and buy paint in the hardware store and buying a few seeds in the garden centre.

“Neither are more dangerous than going to a liquor store to buy a slab of cider. I've rarely seen gangs of youths drinking cider in garden centres.”

The statutory instrument signed by Mr Harris lists “hardware outlets, builders’ merchants and outlets that provide, whether on a retail or wholesale basis - (a) hardware products necessary for home and business maintenance, (b) sanitation and farm equipment, or (c) supplies and tools essential for gardening, farming or agriculture purposes” under the heading “essential retail outlets”.

It's not though, as the median mortality rate demonstrates .So it's a hypothetical question which in fairness he/she would be justified in ignoring tbh.

ixoy wrote: »
    It was a parcel - interacting with one of the services that's opened for business as an essential service.

I mean how far do you want this to go? One shop a week? Question the contents of that shopping to ensure they only buy essentials so they go less often:

"Ah lady, you can't buy biscuits and that packaging on those sweets is going to take up too much room. Here, I'll throw it out and you can buy these tins of beans and save going shopping for another day. Stay at home! Wash your hands!"

So Ixoy - question here - would you be happy for Maggie to drive 15km to post the parcel if needed?

Other poster ducked that question

Those civil servants are manning the jammed phonelines regarding welfare payments and risking their lives for your coffee break.

Ah here what have I read, this has to be sarcasm

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Hardware stores and Garden centres can legally open as Gardai have no powers to shut them down:

Hardware store near me is opening Monday, wife is delighted. I'm on a week's holidays next week. She has the paint picked out. I don't share her enthusiasm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

It would have to be.

No parent ever wants to out live their child.

Old people have lived their lives and it is not the same as a young child dying.

People need to be realistic about the age profile with this.

It's not though, as the median mortality rate demonstrates .So it's a hypothetical question which in fairness he/she would be justified in ignoring tbh.

Because we both know that the attitude of people would be completely different??? But said poster like yourself doesn't want to admit that because it goes against everything you've been posting to date?

• Advertisement

What has the 1.5km from her house got to with her going to post a parcel?

If the post office was 15km away - would that make a difference?

Would you report Maggie for posting the parcel?

Mammy turned off the internet to make me clean my room

Your mammy? If your Mam saw what you do be writing on here she'd turn it off full time :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Ah here what have I read, this has to be sarcasm

You can read ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Hardware store near me is opening Monday, wife is delighted. I'm on a week's holidays next week. She has the paint picked out. I don't share her enthusiasm.

They'll be shut down again. The powers lapse at midnight Sunday that mistakenly says they can open. All being advised not to open.

Lockdown will be extended tomorrow so no they won't be open unless they are brought back under essential services after Sunday night.

easypazz wrote: »
    It would have to be.

No parent ever wants to out live their child.

Old people have lived their lives and it is not the same as a young child dying.

People need to be realistic about the age profile with this.

What if you don't have kids, what if you kids are grown up - what if you want society and the economy to get back to normal.

what if you want to live your life.

You say people need to be realistic because of the age profile of those affected, but if it was affecting younger age group - you wouldn't be saying we need to be realistic - your staying it would have to be different.

This virus could kill children who are high risk - but is it because these high risk children are not high in numbers, then we don't care about them?

Because we both know that the attitude of people would be completely different??? But said poster like yourself doesn't want to admit that because it goes against everything you've been posting to date?
    The median age for death is what we normally experience, just at a greater rate.
    I don't expect to live beyond what is the average life expectancy 78/ 80 I believe , I know an infection of one type or another will spell my demise if I don't die as a result of my lifestyle or an accident first.

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Should re open headshops as well. Time to Grow your own

They'll be shut down again. The powers lapse at midnight Sunday that mistakenly says they can open. All being advised not to open.

Lockdown will be extended tomorrow so no they won't be open unless they are brought back under essential services after Sunday night.

Just have to wait and see, I'm quite happy not to have a paint brush in my hand next week, could do with a holiday. Prefer a cold bottle while I lay in the garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Should re open headshops as well. Time to Grow your own

Let the 24 hour offies sell weed. That'll really set this thread on fire.

• Advertisement

Let the 24 hour offies sell weed. That'll really set this thread on fire.

Should be legalised, no time like the present

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement