Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,234 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

tromtipp wrote: »
    When they start opening up (not until at least after the May bank holiday, probably not till June) freedom of movement will be contingent on carrying a phone with a tracker on it, and wearing a face mask (home made will be encouraged). There will be temperature screening at shop, library, school etc entrances - raised temps will result in loss of movement privileges.

Schools and sports and pubs won't open in the first wave. Access to schools and pubs may be 'rationed' for a while with some groups allowed in one or two days a week only, to permit spacing out.

Anyone who can work from home will be encouraged to continue to do so.

Longer term, essential workers who have kept our world ticking over, particularly those in high risk jobs - shop workers, post delivery workers, carers, waste disposal operators - will realise how undervalued and vulnerable and necessary they are and will rediscover the value of being in a Union.

Our world will change in ways we can't really imagine.
    Yeah I can't see a lot of that happening.
    Especially the phone tracker part...bizarre.
    We also haven't temp screened anywhere as far as I can tell so why would we start now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Ring Leo or Simon or Tony.

They're waiting on direction for what is the right move to make.

I'll refrain from answering you in the same manner but considering you are not in Ireland I fail to see why you have an issue with someone living under the restrictions here being concerned there is no exit plan being discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Turning into a messy situation for the government
    Testing behind the time frame
    No clarity on restrictions
    Exams up in the air
    Nursing homes with lack of PPE

Leo and Simon may up their game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Down to 8% rise. Restrictions are working. Met 5 checkpoints today. Great to see although the smaller roads seemed busier.

https://youtu.be/DksSPZTZES0

A lot of cars going up our road that today I've never seen before

The road used to be used as a rat run to avoid the town

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

easypazz wrote: »
    It would have to be.

No parent ever wants to out live their child.

Old people have lived their lives and it is not the same as a young child dying.

People need to be realistic about the age profile with this.

Maybe it would speed up things if all "Old People" were euthanised. Would you consider it for yourself just for the good of the majority.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Normally I find the briefing relatively useful but it annoyed me today

There were repeated questions about planning to lift restrictions and the criteria seem to be

1. An Ro below 1 - they know its somewhere around on but not what it is
    2. A robust testing system - they dont have that and dont know when they will

Imagine another 2 or 3 weeks of the current restrictions and they still dont have either of these in place and restrictions have to remain due to that as opposed to non compliance by the public IP c?

Philip Nolan was brutal I thought, showing a model from when schools closed three ****ing weeks ago, not having one even up to the end of last week, and not knowing the Ro

He's a team of 50 working on this wtf are they doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

We aren't temperature screening, but the east asian countries that are containing CV are all doing it. Ditto phone tracking. Eventually the pressure to get the economy going again will lead us to places we couldn't have imagined three months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

When they start opening up (not until at least after the May bank holiday, probably not till June) freedom of movement will be contingent on carrying a phone with a tracker on it, and wearing a face mask (home made will be encouraged). There will be temperature screening at shop, library, school etc entrances - raised temps will result in loss of movement privileges.

Schools and sports and pubs won't open in the first wave. Access to schools and pubs may be 'rationed' for a while with some groups allowed in one or two days a week only, to permit spacing out.

Anyone who can work from home will be encouraged to continue to do so.

Longer term, essential workers who have kept our world ticking over, particularly those in high risk jobs - shop workers, post delivery workers, carers, waste disposal operators - will realise how undervalued and vulnerable and necessary they are and will rediscover the value of being in a Union.

Our world will change in ways we can't really imagine.

Some amount of Walter Mittys on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Just looking at the numbers on RTE the median age of all the victims to date is 81. 60% male . In 2016 the life expectancy of a male in Ireland was 81.6 years.
    The confirmed cases are now well in excess of 6k with no recovered figures given . Surely the individual who tested positive in February no longer has the virus?
    The testing needs to be ramped up and a clear road map to exiting this needs to be published.

Plenty of people will have recovered the gov simply arent following up with patients and documenting their recovery statistically, its that simple.

Regarding restaurants reopening, my guess would be that they will initially have to donut in a booking only basis to ensure a that a maximum density isn’t exceeded. Don’t know how they would implement it, maybe on a basis of square footage of the restaurant dining area, number of staff required etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,202 ✭✭✭✭flazio

We aren't temperature screening, but the east asian countries that are containing CV are all doing it. Ditto phone tracking. Eventually the pressure to get the economy going again will lead us to places we couldn't have imagined three months ago.
    Temperature screening would do sweet F all. You could be a carrier and not show any outward symptoms, in fact you're more dangerous that way. Hence symptoms or not you have to keep people 2 metres out of your breath zone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

I'll refrain from answering you in the same manner but considering you are not in Ireland I fail to see why you have an issue with someone living under the restrictions here being concerned there is no exit plan being discussed.

Where does he live, do you know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

Some amount of Walter Mittys on this thread.

Heard that a lot back in January when we said the virus was heading this way. Look at what's happening in the countries three months ahead of us. And look at what's happening here now.

Cultural differences in what's acceptable are going to melt in the face of economic disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Researchers in Germany believe that current world confirmed cases represent only 6% of total infections

They believe the number of confirmed in the UK only represents 1.2% of their total infected :eek:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8204167/How-people-REALLY-infected-coronavirus.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,823 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You can't even grasp the concept of how it is possible that an Irish person is capable of being aware, interested and knowledgeable on what is going on in Ireland right now so that actually goes some way to making me understand why you are not grasping the need for the current strategy.

ITman88 wrote: »
    I was gone for an hour and Maggie has been assassinated on this thread by vigilante’s.

Post your parcel Maggie it’s 1.5 km from your house to where you need to go.

Vigilantism will not cure Covid,

Gosh what did I do to cause such ire? :D Like you I went for a long walk , around and around and around in 2km (;)!!) and came back to a barage of comments about what I did!! It actually made me chuckle .

I work in essential services, live alone, my only 2 kids live abroad and I am very lonely. My trip to Vancouver to see my daughter and my little granddaughter is off, she will be 1 year old next month. I have seen her just once since her birth. I posted her a present today. Last time I checked Leo said it was ok for me to go to the shops. The Post Office is WITHIN the shop I was travelling to, right down at the back of it.

Honestly I think this crisis is bringing out the worst in people, not the best. The amount of self righteousness, spying, reporting, and judgment I have seen and heard about is astounding. We are all finding this tough, some more than others. What I did today was completely within my rights and completely within current restrictions. I put nobody at risk. The speed limit is 60km per hour the whole way in!!!!! I wasn't going to crash. I told the Garda I was going to the post office to post a parcel and he told me to have a nice day :)

I suggest a lot of people should get off Boards.ie and go for a nice calming walk within your 2km and take a lot of long deep breaths. Thanks for the supportive comments though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Emmersonn wrote: »
    Maybe it would speed up things if all "Old People" were euthanised. Would you consider it for yourself just for the good of the majority.

What a weird weird reply. Why would it be better for the majority if this happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Regarding restaurants reopening, my guess would be that they will initially have to donut in a booking only basis to ensure a that a maximum density isn’t exceeded. Don’t know how they would implement it, maybe on a basis of square footage of the restaurant dining area, number of staff required etc.

Honestly I see restaurants and pubs amongst the last businesses to reopen in a phased transition out of lockdown. Ultimately even if you control numbers entering a restaurant or pub, people are sitting in close proximity to each other for extended periods of time, throw in the added effect of gargle and any discipline will go out the window. Publicans are in for a long few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Said it weeks ago now but it's farcical we've no temperature checks for people entering supermarkets and don't even get me started on the non wearing of masks. We arent taking this seriously enough at all. More sports being played up in my local park (deer park) this afternoon as I passed by people are as thick and ignorant as pig sh1t and we'll all pay the price with a longer lock down.

This weekend is going to be ground zero for further spread of the virus if the weather is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,912 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I think we'll see at most 4 weeks added to current lockdown

Then reopening of lots stuff bar large gatherings, spectator sports, pubs and restaurants with previous restrictions but I expect mandatory mask wearing to be added has to be once we get HSE supplies stocked, seeing as so many European nations are heading that way

It will be interesting to see how the mask wearing plays out in a pub. The current restrictions will be lifted in 4 weeks or less, but i will be very surprised if pubs are allowed open at that stage, unless something dramatic happens whereby the number of cases are down to single figures, even then the risk is if you open everything up all at once we are at risk of a second wave. What's far more likely to happen is restrictions will be eased incrementally over the next two - three months.
    It maybe at some point, assuming a vaccine isn't fast tracked or effect treatment found, we might have to reintroduce some restrictions.

Hopefully a vaccine or treatment does comes along soon, though, because elderly people, like my mother, will probably have to self- isolate/cocoon for two or three months at least, while the restrictions ease for the rest of us. It's a very tough ask, but there might be no choice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

reg114 wrote: »
    Honestly I see restaurants and pubs amongst the last businesses to reopen in a phased transition out of lockdown. Ultimately even if you control numbers entering a restaurant or pub, people are sitting in close proximity to each other for extended periods of time, throw in the added effect of gargle and any discipline will go out the window. Publicans are in for a long few months.

Yeah I'd agree, will see a rise of back garden/ house parties which are probably gonna be the same result.

Phone tracking wont work, very heavy on battery plus do you want your every step tracked. When is it safe to turn it off. I wont be installing it.

Researchers in Germany believe that current world confirmed cases represent only 6% of total infections

They believe the number of confirmed in the UK only represents 1.2% of their total infected :eek:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8204167/How-people-REALLY-infected-coronavirus.html

Hopefully, this would be fantastic news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/coronavirus-ireland-varadkar-told-that-15000-tests-a-day-can-be-carried-out-39055060.html

Varadkar told that 15,000 tests a day can be carried out

They know exactly what they are doing though!

niallo27 wrote: »
    Phone tracking wont work, very heavy on battery plus do you want your every step tracked. When is it safe to turn it off. I wont be installing it.

You'll have no choice soon enough and I could care less if I'm tracked personally. This is far more important than my civil liberties.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    You'll have no choice soon enough and I could care less if I'm tracked personally. This is far more important than my civil liberties.

Your phone would probably be dead in a few hours, what do you do then. We will have a choice, there is no way they could enforce this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

It will be interesting to see how the mask wearing plays out in a pub. The current restrictions will be lifted in 4 weeks or less, but i will be very surprised if pubs are allowed open at that stage, unless something dramatic happens whereby the number of cases are down to single figures, even then the risk is if you open everything up all at once we are at risk of a second wave. What's far more likely to happen is restrictions will be eased incrementally over the next two - three months.
    It maybe at some point, assuming a vaccine isn't fast tracked or effect treatment found, we might have to reintroduce some restrictions.

Hopefully a vaccine or treatment does comes along soon, though, because elderly people, like my mother, will probably have to self- isolate/cocoon for two or three months at least, while the restrictions ease for the rest of us. It's a very tough ask, but there might be no choice.

Unless an effective vaccine is developed in the meantime the high risk groups will probably have to self isolate for at least the next 12 months.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Your phone would probably be dead in a few hours, what do you do then. We will have a choice, there is no way they could enforce this.

Why would you be out for a few hours Niallo? If working surely you can charge on the move?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

statesaver wrote: »
    Where does he live, do you know ?
    Irish but living in America by their own admission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,202 ✭✭✭✭flazio

How many of you Android phone users still have "timeline" active on your Google maps? That'll show you quickly where you've been quite accurately.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement