Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Well i'll state a few things I'm aware of. It has been suggested despite all the different groups working towards a vaccine that we will be waiting up to 18 months. Trails and verification all have to take place. Rushing a vaccine despite the desire is not a good idea.
    The economy of most countries are hurtling towards the cliff if not already over it. Money will run and government will face a stark
    At present the health of the 'few' is being protected and should be for as long as possible but a tipping point for the 'greater good' is coming and soon. Would I like to be the one to make the decision about when the needs of many outweighs the few, nope. I certainly understand it has to done though.
    Now that's a pragmatic answer. I could give you an emotional answer and say lockdown till the vaccine, but I'm a pragmatist.

It's no answer at all.

How would you manage this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Even when they tried to tie all services to the public services card I refused to sign up as it was open to abuse, many bridges to cross before Big Brother gets his ultimate wish.

I mean, take the scenario that the governments shre your DHR and you turn up on the N11 and the guard says 'scan yer pps here please till I see if your Corona vaccinated' ... dystopian. And these guys get hung up on "microchip" when Gates is using his technical literacy to confuse you into the same thing.

Logan Roy wrote: »
    The poster you quoted my reply to mentioned a microchip tracking device implanted into people. There's quite a significant difference between this and a digital health record.

I'm sorry, but in this scenario there is no difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Without an economy, there is no people.

Without people in an acceptable state of health there is no economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,603 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Without an economy, there is no people.

Well that’s wrong. There are people. We’d just be back to the Middle Ages or something!! Jaysus.

• Advertisement

Er, 80% have mild symptoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

tom1ie wrote: »
    But hears the rub. You say we are doing this to protect the few, if the restrictions are lifted it won’t be the few who die it’ll be all ages, as the hospital services will be completely overwhelmed. That’s the point.
    It will come to a point of economy vs people.

How will it be all ages? as the present median age of death is 81. The stats are available on the WHO site but a quick breakdown 80% little to no affect may not even know they are sick, 14% will feel ill 2/3weeks recovery time. 6% seriously ill and a % of this figure will die. Eventually we live alongside the virus as we do with many others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,823 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Er, 80% have mild symptoms.

While still being able to transmit the disease to others who might not be so lucky.

tom1ie wrote: »
    Well that’s wrong. There are people. We’d just be back to the Middle Ages or something!! Jaysus.

Not that far, mate, WW2 wasnt that long ago, post depression, hyperinflation and global blame game

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Microchips aren’t cheap

• Advertisement

While still being able to transmit the disease to others who might not be so lucky.

Er, yea, go on... you will get there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

No one wants to die when they're 70 or 80. To see older generations as collateral damage in the name of the economy is psychopathic.

Nobody wants to die full stop, unfortunately the lucky ones still die on average by early to mid 80s.

The point you seem to be missing here is that if the economy is decimated people will die as a result. It's the standard problem of people not being able to appreciate the impact of decisions made now on the years to come.

If there is less money to spend on the health service in the coming years as a result of this crisis who do you think is going to feel the effects of this the most? Yes that's right, the old and vulnerable who rely more heavily on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Nobody wants to die full stop, unfortunately the lucky ones still die on average by early to mid 80s.

The point you seem to be missing here is that if the economy is decimated people will die as a result. It's the standard problem of people not being able to appreciate the impact of decisions made now on the years to come.

If there is less money to spend on the health service in the coming years as a result of this crisis who do you think is going to feel the effects of this the most? Yes that's right, the old and vulnerable who rely more heavily on it.

So just get rid of the f*ckers now, we're actually doing them a favour!

If you can save people now, it's the correct course of action. There are measures that can be taken to ease the effect on the economy. Quantitive easing, for example.

We know the effect this virus can have on the population. Speculating about recession suicides is not helpful and measures can be taken against things like that.

I'm not missing any point with regard to the economy

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

Mainly I'm posting because I'm in shock at the stupidity of the posts I'm seeing.

The lockdown is having an impact on the spread of the disease. An extension will be necessary.

I wish I wasn't seeing people failing to Socially distance, like young fellas playing football and my neighbours letting their kids play together and standing beside each other a passing things between them.

This idea that it's just old people dieing that would die on a few months anyway is completely misguided. The disease is extremely infectious and the health system will be overwhelmed easily and many, many more will die than just old or vulnerable people.

No one wants to die when they're 70 or 80. To see older generations as collateral damage in the name of the economy is psychopathic. People with that opinion have no empathy, must not have children or parents.

It's pathetic and disheartening. The only good thing is that these people are the minority and most would see their opinions as outlandish and offensive.

I mean, someone suggested their should be a March in Dublin in support of removing the lockdown? What a f*cking crackpot suggestion.

The virus is not "extremely infectious". Would it be "extremely infectious", all supermarkets employees would be dead and buried already as they are in close contact with thousands customers every day. But miraculously all of them are healthy! I wander what's going on in nursing homes and hospitals.

If you can save people now, it's the correct course of action. There are measures that can be taken to ease the effect on the economy. Quantitive easing, for example.

We know the effect this virus can have on the population. Speculating about recession suicides is not helpful and measures can be taken against things like that.

You may not be missing the points about the economy but you certainly are ignoring them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,823 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Er, yea, go on... you will get there

Ah, so it's the 'many of you will die, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to take' approach.

It's not speculation. Money is literally disappearing before our eyes, money that will have to be paid back. This is why our services and infrastructure are diabolical, Irish people are obsessed with the here and now.

In terms of the deaths it will cause i am not talking about suicides, i'm talking about the deaths as a result of cutbacks in future public spending while we repay what we've borrowed to enable the country and economy to almost completely shutdown.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

The virus is not "extremely infectious". Would it be "extremely infectious", all supermarkets employees would be dead and buried already as they are in close contact with thousands customers every day. But miraculously all of them are healthy! I wander what's going on in nursing homes and hospitals.

I can`t find it now but there was a post earlier today from a supermarket employee who stated that a number of his/her co workers were out sick with symptoms of the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Gosh what did I do to cause such ire? :D Like you I went for a long walk , around and around and around in 2km (;)!!) and came back to a barage of comments about what I did!! It actually made me chuckle .

I work in essential services, live alone, my only 2 kids live abroad and I am very lonely. My trip to Vancouver to see my daughter and my little granddaughter is off, she will be 1 year old next month. I have seen her just once since her birth. I posted her a present today. Last time I checked Leo said it was ok for me to go to the shops. The Post Office is WITHIN the shop I was travelling to, right down at the back of it.

Honestly I think this crisis is bringing out the worst in people, not the best. The amount of self righteousness, spying, reporting, and judgment I have seen and heard about is astounding. We are all finding this tough, some more than others. What I did today was completely within my rights and completely within current restrictions. I put nobody at risk. The speed limit is 60km per hour the whole way in!!!!! I wasn't going to crash. I told the Garda I was going to the post office to post a parcel and he told me to have a nice day :)

I suggest a lot of people should get off Boards.ie and go for a nice calming walk within your 2km and take a lot of long deep breaths. Thanks for the supportive comments though.

Not judging anything you were doing as you're in your right to go to the shop, but to complain about the Gardaí doing their job of trying to keep everyone safe is a bit much.

You may not be missing the points about the economy but you certainly are ignoring them.

We'll I mention the economy in my post and say that issues related to it should be addressed, so how am I ignoring them?

• Advertisement

Ah, so it's the 'many of you will die, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to take' approach.

Us. We.

We'll I mention the economy in my post and say that issues related to it should be addressed, so how am I ignoring them?

It's quite simple really both are not mutually exclusive. We decimate the economy now we will spend years trying to build up our health service to what it was 2 months ago and it wasn't great then.
    Quantative easing is not an option. I suggest you have a look at what is going on in the meetings with European finance ministers.

No retail staff have been infected? You must know everything, do you?

Extremely infectious is what the disease is. You can't make up a benchmark that the virus must hit in order to be considered so. That's b*llocks.

Your post is bullsh*t, you're just choosing your own terms.

No retail staff have been infected? You must know everything, do you?

Extremely infectious is what the disease is. You can't make up a benchmark that the virus must hit in order to be considered so. That's b*llocks.

Your post is bullsh*t, you're just choosing your own terms.
    The virus is highly infectious but is mitigated by physical distancing and good hand hygiene. Also avoid touching the entry points of the face.

splendid101 is the new KiKi

splendid101 is the new KiKi

F*ck yourself.

The virus is highly infectious but is mitigated by physical distancing and good hand hygiene. Also avoid touching the entry points of the face.

Sherlock Holmes over here

F*ck yourself.

Yep definitely KiKi! (Those who know will know)

I don't have the energy to argue with an army of gobsh*tes.

• Advertisement

I don't have the energy to argue with an army of gobsh*tes.

That's great news, you can put your alt back into hibernation for another while.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement