Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

NIMAN wrote: »
    You really don't like the government, do you!

You seem to spend so much time tearing into them.

Are you anti gov or anti FG?

You should have seen him during the election :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Do you ever get tired of banging this drum? You know for a fact that the government have no plan and have evidence of same?

Well the nearest to a plan I read today was from the CMO Mr Holohan, he has suggested when restrictions are lifted if a a spike occurs back into lockdown which will destroy any tentative confidence the business community may have. Leo and Simon are noticeable by their silence on a road map to exit the restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,823 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Well the nearest to a plan I read today was from the CMO Mr Holohan, he has suggested when restrictions are lifted if a a spike occurs back into lockdown which will destroy any tentative confidence the business community may have. Leo and Simon are noticeable by their silence on a road map to exit the restrictions.

You seem annoyed that people cannot predict the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Do you ever get tired of banging this drum? You know for a fact that the government have no plan and have evidence of same?

So, it is what it is and leave it at that then.

No further discussion allowed.

Is that what you are suggesting?

You seem annoyed that people cannot predict the future.

You seem unable to concede to a simple and polite request to stop commenting to me. This is my third time to ask you you to stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

BanditLuke wrote: »
    In a single week we have doubled the amount of health care workers who are infected as well as doubled the amount of deaths. Talk of reducing restrications at the present time is an insult to every single health worker who is putting their own life on the line to save others.

I'm sure most medical professionals know that we won't have a vaccine any time soon, and that without one, building up immunity in the population is the best long term strategy for suppressing the virus. These restrictions are a strategy in the early phase of containing the virus, not a solution to the problem. The virus will continue to exist in 6 months whether we ease restrictions or not.

You seem unable to concede to a simple and polite request to stop commenting to me. This is my third time to ask you you to stop.

??

You are here long enough to have figured out how discussion boards work.
    Why don't you stop responding to me if you are so aggrieved.

If you are looking just to post and not be challenged, I understand FB might be more suitable to your tastes.

??

You are here long enough to have figured out how discussion boards work.
    Why don't you stop responding to me if you are so aggrieved.

If you are looking just to post and not be challenged, I understand FB might be more suitable to your tastes.

You are also here long enough to know no poster is required to answer your questions or engage with you if they don't want to. When you are asked to leave someone alone and you refuse to do so i'm sure you are also aware what this behaviour is viewed as.
    Now last time to ask, kindly refrain from badgering me.

You are also here long enough to know no poster is required to answer your questions or engage with you if they don't want to. When you are asked to leave someone alone and you refuse to do so i'm sure you are also aware what this behaviour is viewed as.
    Now last time to ask, kindly refrain from badgering me.

Is this because I asked why you are allowed to comment on countries other than the one in which you currently live, but you have asked me twice to not do so?

Just so I understand exactly what it is that has annoyed you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

I'd be very surprised if they help current restriction levels for another month. Can't see that happening. No one knows so it's futile guessing.
    Without an economy, there is no people.

This.

Amazing how many people think there's a magic money tree somewhere.

The vast majority of people in the world are totally incapable of growing their own food and being self sufficient. Without a functioning economy, food supply chain, etc. the virus is the least of anyone's problems.

I don't think this has sunk in for a lot of people.

• Advertisement

This.

Amazing how many people think there's a magic money tree somewhere.

The vast majority of people in the world are totally incapable of growing their own food and being self sufficient. Without a functioning economy, food supply chain, etc. the virus is the least of anyone's problems.

I don't think this has sunk in for a lot of people.

I don't see that. I think people advocating for restrictions to continue are very much referring to short term (a few weeks) rather than indefinitely.

If someone said that the current restrictions were to last until the end of April, would you consider it excessive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,807 ✭✭✭SteM

The Irish economy is not in a bubble. We're tied to the world economy. If you think relaxing restrictions tomorrow will help our economy in anything other than short term then you're dreaming.

SteM wrote: »
    The Irish economy is not in a bubble. We're tied to the world economy. If you think relaxing restrictions tomorrow will help our economy in anything other than short term then you're dreaming.

We also have a indigenous economy.

I don't see that. I think people advocating for restrictions to continue are very much referring to short term (a few weeks) rather than indefinitely.

If someone said that the current restrictions were to last until the end of April, would you consider it excessive?

No, and I don't think into May is overly excessive either, but they can't continue indefinitely. There very much are people who think they should continue until there are zero cases, or close to zero, some of them posting on here.

No, and I don't think into May is overly excessive either, but they can't continue indefinitely. There very much are people who think they should continue until there are zero cases, or close to zero, some of them posting on here.

There's outliers at both ends.
    There are also some posting that what had been done so far has been excessive.

Personally, I think if we get the rate of infection to a point where Tony Holohan thinks it is as good as we can achieve, and if we have more confidence in the availability and speed of testing, we will be in a position to consider removing restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Nermal

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/04/09/leaked-home-office-call-reveals-uk-government-wants-economy-to-continue-running-as-we-will-all-get-covid-19-anyway/

UK government gradually facing up to reality: suppression will not work, lockdown must be ended, mitigation is the only plan that properly balances economic and public health outcomes.

How long before the WHO figures it out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,877 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I expect that Leo will announce the current level of restrictions to be extended till the end of the month - 50/50 on whether the Gardai get to keep their new powers until then as well.

Anything beyond that without a huge spike in the numbers in the meantime, won't be accepted. Read an article earlier that said Gardai have noticed that people are already becoming tired of the restrictions as it is.

Nermal wrote: »
    https://bylinetimes.com/2020/04/09/leaked-home-office-call-reveals-uk-government-wants-economy-to-continue-running-as-we-will-all-get-covid-19-anyway/

UK government gradually facing up to reality: suppression will not work, lockdown must be ended, mitigation is the only plan that properly balances economic and public health outcomes.

How long before the WHO figures it out?

Any link to a site that isn't a virtual conspiracy forum by any chance no?

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I expect that Leo will announce the current level of restrictions to be extended till the end of the month - 50/50 on whether the Gardai get to keep their new powers until then as well.

Anything beyond that without a huge spike in the numbers in the meantime, won't be accepted. Read a article there that said Gardai have noticed that people are already becoming tired of the restrictions as it is.

It's evident people are becoming tired, this was part of Dublin today apparently.

https://twitter.com/padraig_reilly/status/1248361832533950465

Which means, that as long as restrictions are needed, in my mind, the Gardai need to have the power to enforce them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I am me123 wrote: »
    Anyone know what time the Taoiseach's announcement is on T.V. tomorrow?

not sure, will it be an update on the Covid situation or to announce that he has hit a certain amount of followers on instagram I wonder....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

It's evident people are becoming tired, this was part of Dublin today apparently.

Which means, that as long as restrictions are needed, in my mind, the Gardai need to have the power to enforce them.

Usually the sorts you see still going around in groups or generally not being socially responsible are the ones who don't have a fear of the law or Gardai in general. And it's those who the Gardai are less likely to tackle than your regular taxpaying no criminal record motorist for example who may be delivering groceries to a vulnerable/elderly relative...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    not sure, will it be an update on the Covid situation or to announce that he has hit a certain amount of followers on instagram I wonder....

Who would you like to have been Taoiseach over the last month?

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Usually the sorts you see still going around in groups or generally not being socially responsible are the ones who don't have a fear of the law or Gardai in general. And it's those who the Gardai are less likely to tackle than your regular taxpaying no criminal record motorist for example who may be delivering groceries to a vulnerable/elderly relative...

Have you any evidence whatsoever that Gardai are going to impinge on someone delivering groceries to someone in need. Anything remotely approaching a verifiable source please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

For those who have booked holidays this summer

https://www.facebook.com/1483134401925485/posts/2533706953534886?sfns=mo

NIMAN wrote: »
    You really don't like the government, do you!

You seem to spend so much time tearing into them.

Are you anti gov or anti FG?

no, just the standard of governance here is appalling. I know it might seem like I harp on about it relentlessly. But I deal with a lot of foreigners, try to education myself on how things work in other countries etc. I mean the people who are running the show now, are the same crowd, who brought you the worlds most expensive hospital, the health service that even before Covid, was said to be strecthed and not fit for purpose! Their total "kick the ball down the road" on every front, its going to have consequence... the brilliant idea to commemorate the black and tans. I mean the list is endless. You want me to say , I have faith in them? they are appalling and they are economically inept!

Itman brings up about the financial > economic > societal damage. look , they are in a bind, they are. BUT , BUT when we are a few months down the road and this gets analysed, how shall I pout this, its like we are all eating the very expensive meal now, enjoying the moment. Not many are thinking of the implications down the road! Just wait for it! When they start cutting welfare again etc, like the last bust, jesus, I think Ill ditch all technology and self isolate for years, if / when recession mach 2, possibly one facilitated or made worse by current actions, comes around!

There's outliers at both ends.
    There are also some posting that what had been done so far has been excessive.

Personally, I think if we get the rate of infection to a point where Tony Holohan thinks it is as good as we can achieve, and if we have more confidence in the availability and speed of testing, we will be in a position to consider removing restrictions.

The best possible scenario would be if widespread antibody testing discovered that it's true that enormous swathes of the population have already been infected and the number of cases is 14-15 times higher than thought, meaning the death rate is far lower than they thought and that lots of people are already immune. That would do a lot for people's mental health and would mean that lots of people could get back to work and something approaching normal life, although given how ill some (youngish) people I know have gotten with this virus, it seems a bit far fetched.

That's pretty much the only way I can see this not being an almighty ****show for the next two years.

Anything beyond that without a huge spike in the numbers in the meantime, won't be accepted. Read an article earlier that said Gardai have noticed that people are already becoming tired of the restrictions as it is.
    My own son is a member of the force, he described people who are normally compilant as getting pissed off. He's based in a large midland town. I suspect another two weeks will be the limit before there is a push back against the restrictions especially as the evidence of which demographic is at risk is public knowledge. People need an exit plan based on best case and worst case scenario.

doesnt surprise me, saying that they dont have a gameplan is idiocy, even if they dont! its just going to increase restlessness and anger. Just say " we have time frames in mind, for an unwinding of the restrictions" then update us whenever they were going to anyway!

if people think baby steps towards improvement are around the corner, it will be a lot more pallatable...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/government-to-announce-extension-of-covid-19-restrictions-1.4225521?mode=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Another 2 weeks as expected, possibly 3 until after May bank holiday and Gardai to have the current powers extended to cover this period. Plans also have begun on the phased lifting of restrictions

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/padraig_reilly/status/1248361832533950465

There are lots of flats/social housing around there. Strangely enough, poor people do need to eat and that means going to the shops to get food.

I don't know why Padraig thinks it's alright to be there taking photos, totally unnecessarily, while shaming people for being outside. How is it their fault that the street is so busy?

This shaming of people for daring to be on a busy street is fcking weird and creepy. I was on a busy street earlier, because I needed to go to the pharmacy to get paracetamol for terrible stomach pains, and other people were doing similar things. I suppose Padraig would have photographed and shamed me, too. He must think we all have drones to deliver us things.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement