Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

It's evident people are becoming tired, this was part of Dublin today apparently.

https://twitter.com/padraig_reilly/status/1248361832533950465

Which means, that as long as restrictions are needed, in my mind, the Gardai need to have the power to enforce them.

Being seeing loads of pictures like that from around Dublin the last couple of days. We are losing the battle and the selfish are winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,823 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

There are lots of flats/social housing around there. Strangely enough, poor people do need to eat and that means going to the shops to get food.

I don't know why Padraig thinks it's alright to be there taking photos, totally unnecessarily, while shaming people for being outside. How is it their fault that the street is so busy?

This shaming of people for daring to be on a busy street is fcking weird and creepy. I was on a busy street earlier, because I needed to go to the pharmacy to get paracetamol for terrible stomach pains, and other people were doing similar things. I suppose Padraig would have photographed and shamed me, too. He must think we all have drones to deliver us things.

I can't figure you out.

You simultaneously seem to think that restrictions are necessary but also that everyone should be able to carry on as normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Who would you like to have been Taoiseach over the last month?

honestly, possibly varadkar, because he is used to the role and may be seen as a safe set of steady hands... its good for contination at a time like this, where regardless of the parties in government, outcomes in different areas, would likely be the same regardless who is in there, because of how consuming this will be, in terms of time and resources BUT , BUT, I honestly dont think there would be much / any difference with outcome, regardless of leader, as they are only following advice from others...

I doubt they do anything against "expert" recommendation, as it would leave them open to problems down the line, if things worked out worse than expected. Politcians here, are about as far from Trump and Johnson as you can get, no leadership, spineless yes men, decide on what to do, by looking at opinion polls on the journal. This time, having a very conservative political set up, has helped our situation...

There are lots of flats/social housing around there. Strangely enough, poor people do need to eat and that means going to the shops to get food.

I don't know why Padraig thinks it's alright to be there taking photos, totally unnecessarily, while shaming people for being outside. How is it their fault that the street is so busy?

This shaming of people for daring to be on a busy street is fcking weird and creepy. I was on a busy street earlier, because I needed to go to the pharmacy to get paracetamol for terrible stomach pains, and other people were doing similar things. I suppose Padraig would have photographed and shamed me, too. He must think we all have drones to deliver us things.

There are groups of people that's why it's relevant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Being seeing loads of pictures like that from around Dublin the last couple of days. We are losing the battle and the selfish are winning.

the likes of those catching it and out there in that photo on Talbot street, they are the ilk, that will try to sue Mr Corona virus if they catch it! they should ask Maria Bailey for advice on solicitors...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/government-to-announce-extension-of-covid-19-restrictions-1.4225521?mode=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Another 2 weeks as expected, possibly 3 until after May bank holiday and Gardai to have the current powers extended to cover this period. Plans also have begun on the phased lifting of restrictions

Living with the virus is the only option, best to keep up the social distancing and try to cocoon the most vulnerable groups as much as possible. Makes sense to slowly open up the economy again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

How are people selfish for going out to buy food or get some air/exercise?! Most of those people have supermarket bags.

Getting tired of people sitting in their nice houses with nice gardens and online deli deliveries shaming people who have to go outside for food, exercise or both.

I went for a short walk this evening because I felt groggy from working and being inside, and the pavement was pretty busy....do you know why? Because like these people, I live in a crowded inner city area and everyone else was doing the same!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Talking to someone who had a relative working high up in a paneuropean food distribution company. Difficulty getting drivers to transport the fresh fruit and vegetables across Europe. Also there are issues with harvesting as most migrant workers are unavailable. Lots of produce going to waste. Worrying times.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    honestly, possibly varadkar, because he is used to the role and may be seen as a safe set of steady hands... its good for contination at a time like this, where regardless of the parties in government, outcomes in different areas, would likely be the same regardless who is in there, because of how consuming this will be, in terms of time and resources BUT , BUT, I honestly dont think there would be much / any difference with outcome, regardless of leader, as they are only following advice from others...

I doubt they do anything against "expert" recommendation, as it would leave them open to problems down the line, if things worked out worse than expected. Politcians here, are about as far from Trump and Johnson as you can get, no leadership, spineless yes men, decide on what to do, by looking at opinion polls on the journal. This time, having a very conservative political set up, has helped our situation...

It's just bizarre to me how anyone can use Johnson or Trump as examples as leadership.

Johnson - Proudly announced that he had been shaking hands at a hospital. Ended up in ICU
    Trump - Called it a hoax, said it would disappear after a few days, is advocating for medication manufactured by a company in which he has a stake.
    Varadkar - Advocated strong message, set example by signing up to work as a Dr

I can't figure you out.

You simultaneously seem to think that restrictions are necessary but also that everyone should be able to carry on as normal.

I can't figure you out.

How do you think people are supposed to survive if they can't go out to get food or medicine?

There is a massive difference between not going to the pub or having gatherings and not stepping outside your front door at all, for any reason.

There aren't really 'groups' of people except maybe the kids in the foreground. It's a busy street. Do you not understand how it's basically impossible to maintain the correct distance if you live in a crowded city? I certainly don't want to be walking down a busy street or shopping with people right next to me or having joggers panting in my face if I go for an evening walk, but sometimes I just have no choice.

• Advertisement

How do you think people are supposed to survive if they can't go out to get food or medicine?

How is this even a question? People are allowed out for these purposes.
    There is a massive difference between not going to the pub or having gatherings and not stepping outside your front door at all, for any reason.

Again, you can go out for essential purposes and, to exercise.
    Seriously, do you not understand the regulations?
    There aren't really 'groups' of people except maybe the kids in the foreground. It's a busy street. Do you not understand how it's basically impossible to maintain the correct distance if you live in a crowded city? I certainly don't want to be walking down a busy street or shopping with people right next to me or having joggers panting in my face if I go for an evening walk, but sometimes I just have no choice

I think that someone who is a professional photographer contributing images to national media is capable of deciphering what is likely essential or ambivalent behavior. Why do you think they are publicizing this? As a joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

The thoughts of not drinking cans on the barge make me very sad. I’m not getting any younger, the years are precious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭acequion

lainey,you're wasting your time talking to some of the people here! The righteousness, narrow mindedness and plain mean spirit is quite breathtaking. The complete refusal to understand that people have to go out, people have to buy food and medicine. And in fact for some people,the whole thing is overwhelming difficult. But it's easier for the ignorant to label and pigeon hole.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If you live in the city, this is what going to the shop is going to look like. I don't think some people understand that. You've literally told these people they can only go ithin 2km of their houses to shop, they live in a densely populated area, they can't avoid this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think that someone who is a professional photographer contributing images to national media is capable of deciphering what is likely essential or ambivalent behavior. Why do you think they are publicizing this? As a joke?
    So the professional photographer is giving out about the street being busy, whilst being out on the same street. Later in his reply to comments says that somebody carrying a new pillow shows they weren't out for essential activity - whilst this guy is out to take a ****ing photograph? Self awareness is clearly lacking in this chap

acequion wrote: »
    lainey,you're wasting your time talking to some of the people here! The righteousness, narrow mindedness and plain mean spirit is quite breathtaking. The complete refusal to understand that people have to go out, people have to buy food and medicine. And in fact for some people,the whole thing is overwhelming difficult. But it's easier for the ignorant to label and pigeon hole.:rolleyes:

I presume you are referring to me.
    Maybe you too do not understand the regulations.

You can go out for essentials.
    You can go out to exercise within 2km of your home.

Hope tomorrow is better for you now that you know these facts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Red Alert wrote: »
    Simon Harris curiously made a comment that there was a limit to how long people could put up with extreme level of restrictions as we currently have. Already we’re seeing in Italy that people are starting to get restless. So two big questions:

1) on Easter Sunday, do you think there will be further restrictions, no change with just an extension or some relaxation?

2) what will be the first thing rolled back?

My own guess would be: extension for at least 1 week. Then to allow some businesses like DIY shops to reopen, perhaps allow gatherings of 2/3 people, maybe a token increase on 2km.

If the people are restless let them out, let the hospitals be over run and let em all die, then we ll have herd immunity, give the people what they ask for.

People seem to be of the mentality, that this covid is happening to someone else... and wont happen them...

If its there business... well you wont need one if your dead and you certainly wont be running one if your in hospital for weeks with covid.

But if its too much of an inconvenience to stop a life threatening then just let the people at it give em what they want put it to a vote so they cant cry after aswell and know they did it too themselves.

AdamD wrote: »
    So the professional photographer is giving out about the street being busy, whilst being out on the same street. Later in his reply to comments says that somebody carrying a new pillow shows they weren't out for essential activity - whilst this guy is out to take a ****ing photograph? Self awareness is clearly lacking in this chap

Is this one of those profound conundrums like 'If the photograph wasn't taken, are those people really there?'

Include the photographer in it if you like, same point applies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Anyone caught breaking the rules, should be given a fine, but on top of that be put to the lowest priority of help, there families included. Should they contract Covid, if they want to disrespect everyone else by being selfish they should be heavily punished.

And what do you think the people in the photo are doing?

Do you not understand that this is what a street looks like when people in an urban area all go out to the shops to buy food?

Same reason as all the others - to take the moral high ground and publicly shame. Tons of people doing this in London to basically create fake news that people aren't taking distancing seriously. The vast, vast majority of people in London are doing extremely well with this, regardless of social class or living situation, and a lot of people are in challenging situations here. A couple of people sitting down in a park for 5-10 minutes for a breather after exercise is not a risk or a problem.

Most people don't want to get sick. They're visibly anxious and on edge and they're trying to do what they need to do and get back home. I guess it just makes the rich people with gardens feel better about themselves as they cruise past in their nice cars and look at all the poor people who have to carry all their shopping home 'crowding' the pavements.

• Advertisement

If you live in the city, this is what going to the shop is going to look like. I don't think some people understand that. You've literally told these people they can only go ithin 2km of their houses to shop, they live in a densely populated area, they can't avoid this.

Stop talking sense.

It's mind boggling how many people are just failing to grasp this.

Have ye never been to a city?!

In groups?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,877 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's the same attitude as in this thread from some - virtue signalling for likes whilst simultaneously taking a pop at others. Unfortunately it's the way of the "modern" Western world nowadays.

Bottom line here is that there will come a point where a majority (who won't suffer any lasting effects even if they do get it based on the stats) will hit breaking point with these restrictions and start to ignore it. It's already started

The Government needs to be planning for a controlled return to some sort of normality while protecting those who are at risk. Trying to extend the restrictions much more than the end of the month just won't be possible IMO

Cupatae wrote: »
    Anyone caught breaking the rules, should be given a fine, but on top of that be put to the lowest priority of help, there families included. Should they contract Covid, if they want to disrespect everyone else by being selfish they should be heavily punished.

Agreed. There are people in that photo standing around in each others faces chin wagging. Go do your shopping by yourself and fvuk off home.

It's unreal people can't grasp this

I presume you are referring to me.
    Maybe you too do not understand the regulations.

You can go out for essentials.
    You can go out to exercise within 2km of your home.

Hope tomorrow is better for you now that you know these facts.

I don't know why you're being so rude and patronising when you're the one with the massive comprehension problem.

If you live in the inner city and are not permitted to go outside it in a car, then the 2km radius around your home is likely to be very busy and crowded, because it's.....a city. Read that back several times.

Do you get it yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

If the people are restless let them out, let the hospitals be over run and let em all die, then we ll have herd immunity, give the people what they ask for.

People seem to be of the mentality, that this covid is happening to someone else... and wont happen them...

If its there business... well you wont need one if your dead and you certainly wont be running one if your in hospital for weeks with covid.

But if its too much of an inconvenience to stop a life threatening then just let the people at it give em what they want put it to a vote so they cant cry after aswell and know they did it too themselves.

Spot on.

The UK deaths are many who had this attitude.

And listened to buffoon Boris saying its grand let it run through us.

Now 800 a day are in body bags.

Weldone lads, real brave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Er, 80% have mild symptoms.

So I guess you're a medical professional right?

You may be interested in knowing that the 80% figure comes from the findings of a joint World Health Organization-China mission of 25 infectious disease experts. According to the report published the 80% refers to those who experienced "mild to moderate" infection of COVID-19

According to reseach the description of "mild to moderate" doesn't mean patients with symptoms of COVID-19 have it easy.
    You may well not fit any one classification exactly. You may be between two. You may move from mild to moderate symptoms, then back to mild. You may have symptoms from more than one group. Illness is like that.

When huge numbers of people are affected, they will not all fit perfectly into simple group classifications of mild, moderate or severe. But if your symptoms are predominantly of mild disease with, say, one or two moderate features, you may be 'mild to moderate'.

https://patient.info/news-and-features/coronavirus-what-are-asymptomatic-and-mild-covid-19

Mild cases can develop into moderate cases if the viral infections in patients' respiratory tracts worsen.

Of note even in 'mild' cases- symptoms may include fever, coughing, lethargy and feeling extremly sick and may involve the onset of pneumonia in cases progressing to moderate symptoms.

Some more info here:

https://patient.info/news-and-features/coronavirus-what-are-asymptomatic-and-mild-covid-19

What is being deemed 'mild' by some actually means you shouldn't require actual hospitalization - not that it's going to be a walk in the park...

Did you get your idea of family punishment from the abhorrent practice the Israeli IDF engages in called 'collective punishment' ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

My thoughts: These current (non-urgent movements, roadblocks) restrictions to be relaxed in 2 weeks (crap I know), back to everything closed for another 2-3 weeks with social distancing, things like "non essential" shop being open after that with strict social distancing rule and occupancy restrictions for a month. Pubs etc open after that with further strict restrictions. Coming into Autumn, the odds are of a relapse into global spread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement