Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,823 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I don't know why you're being so rude and patronising when you're the one with the massive comprehension problem.

If you live in the inner city and are not permitted to go outside it in a car, then the 2km radius around your home is likely to be very busy and crowded, because it's.....a city. Read that back several times.

Do you get it yet?

This is getting ridiculous.
    Are you saying that that section of the city is comparably busy to before there were restrictions?

I mean, what is it that you want? More restrictions to reduce the crowd on inner city streets, or less restrictions because it is so challenging for people to live while being restricted?

Because you seem to be simultaneously arguing for both.

Or do you just want someone to say that this is tough, it is tough for everyone and it is tough for you but hopefully it won't last long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,141 ✭✭✭✭briany

When they reopen the pubs, the thirst is going to be so mighty, that half the places around the country will be jammed before any responsible publican can even say, "But, please, observe the social distancing guidelines!"

Staying 6 foot away from each other almost defeats the purpose of going to a pub on a Saturday night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Did you get your idea of family punishment from the abhorrent practice the Israeli IDF engages in called 'collective punishment' ?

i got it from seeing people deliberately spitting on cops/healthcare workers to infect them and groups showing a complete disregard for everyone else.. some people only understand the boot unfortunately and the bleedin heart approach doesnt work too well with those kind, so ya them and there families if keep disregarding everyone elses safety there is real repercussions for them they might not be so quick with there scumbag behavior then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

briany wrote: »
    When they reopen the pubs, the thirst is going to be so mighty, that half the places around the country will be jammed before any responsible publican can even say, "But, please, observe the social distancing guidelines!"

Staying 6 foot away from each other almost defeats the purpose of going to a pub on a Saturday night.
    I wouldn't like the first pint of the black in my local. I might wait an extra day, allow for a 'good flow'.

Cupatae wrote: »
    i got it from seeing people deliberately spitting on cops/healthcare workers to infect them and groups showing a complete disregard for everyone else.. some people only understand the boot unfortunately and the bleedin heart approach doesnt work too well with those kind, so ya them and there families if keep disregarding everyone elses safety there is real repercussions for them they might not be so quick with there scumbag behavior then.

Happily ideas as abhorrent as yours will never get further than this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

This is getting ridiculous.
    Are you saying that that section of the city is comparably busy to before there were restrictions?

No! It's less busy than before. Why would I be saying otherwise?
    I mean, what is it that you want? More restrictions to reduce the crowd on inner city streets, or less restrictions because it is so challenging for people to live while being restricted?

Because you seem to be simultaneously arguing for both.

Or do you just want someone to say that this is tough, it is tough for everyone and it is tough for you but hopefully it won't last long.

I'm saying that some of these regulations are actually making the problem worse for people in densely populated areas. If you can only go 2km from your home, then it's going to make the 2km around your home pretty dangerous if you can't go to the shop for food without people jogging and bumping into you. Lots of parks in London have reopened because of this - closing the green spaces just made it more dangerous and risky because of forcing everyone into a smaller and smaller area. It's not rocket science.

I'm not even saying to get rid of restrictions, I'm saying to stop shaming people who live in urban areas and literally have no choice but to walk on a busy street to do what they need to do. Framing it as 'selfish' is absurd.

Happily ideas as abhorrent as yours will never get further than this thread.

Yeah i bet you are happy, says more about you than anything else, but who knows maybe there will be more severe punishment for scum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

I wouldn't like the first pint of the black in my local. I might wait an extra day, allow for a 'good flow'.

A proper drinker and a proper thinker ;)

Yeah i bet you are happy, says more about you than anything else, but who knows maybe there will be more severe punishment for scum.

Says nothing about me, I don't believe in collective punishment it's abhorrent and also against international law. Find someone else to have a row with.

Timistry wrote: »
    A proper drinker and a proper thinker ;)

Let the amateurs in first, canaries in the mine if you will. ;-)

• Advertisement

Says nothing about me, I don't believe in collective punishment it's abhorrent and also against international law. Find someone else to have a row with.

You replied to me... not collective punishment just a way of prioritizing people, they are free to get care elsewhere or look after themselves :) or you know..just stop being scumbags...

Maybe a few boots like this would sort a few aswell.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1241846240503087105

No! It's less busy than before. Why would I be saying otherwise?

I'm saying that some of these regulations are actually making the problem worse for people in densely populated areas. If you can only go 2km from your home, then it's going to make the 2km around your home pretty dangerous if you can't go to the shop for food without people jogging and bumping into you. Lots of parks in London have reopened because of this - closing the green spaces just made it more dangerous and risky because of forcing everyone into a smaller and smaller area. It's not rocket science.

I'm not even saying to get rid of restrictions, I'm saying to stop shaming people who live in urban areas and literally have no choice but to walk on a busy street to do what they need to do. Framing it as 'selfish' is absurd.

In relation to one of the parks which is opening, they made this statement (bold is mine)
    The council said it has developed a number of control measures to find a way to reopen the park to help support the mental health and wellbeing of residents. However, it remains possible that the park may shut again if people are seen to be ignoring social distancing rules.

Everyone acknowledges the need for space (hence being permitted to go out), but some are taking the mick.
    It is better to be restrictive of everyone in this instance rather than to not have any restrictions. (I'm not advocating for any more serious restrictions than those which we have right now, only that people accept them for what they are and try to abide by them).

Greater Manchester Police shut down nearly 600 private parties last weekend. I would hazard that there are a lot more people inclined to ignore the law then there are being excessively impinged by the restrictions to the point their mental health is seriously affected.

You replied to me... not collective punishment just a way of prioritizing people, they are free to get care elsewhere or look after themselves :) or you know..just stop being scumbags...

Maybe a few boots like this would sort a few aswell.

That's from Brazil apparently. Not even sure if it is anything to do with Covid-19.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Nermal wrote: »
    https://bylinetimes.com/2020/04/09/leaked-home-office-call-reveals-uk-government-wants-economy-to-continue-running-as-we-will-all-get-covid-19-anyway/

UK government gradually facing up to reality: suppression will not work, lockdown must be ended, mitigation is the only plan that properly balances economic and public health outcomes.

How long before the WHO figures it out?

I noticed this also popped up on daily mail and that person was referring to civil servants in the passport office who he was trying to persuade to go back into work by saying "you've as much chance of getting it at work as at home" I'd assume what he meant was the passport department probably doesn't directly face the public if it's like ours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,328 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Well today here in the US, the message is starting to shift away from lockdown and talk is about reopening in the coming weeks. Even the CDC director has been on CNN talking about certain areas who dont have significant numbers of cases getting back to school and work. They have also relaxed the guidelines about self isolation for 2 weeks after exposure down to 1 week. I think it will be a good while though before individuals feel comfortable going back to our old ways of non social distancing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,357 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

briany wrote: »

Sadly the pubs won’t be back open for a good while anyway. The Lemon and Duke fella was on the news saying it’ll be “months rather than weeks” shut for pubs. Owner of our local thinks the same. Shops and restaurants will open ahead of pubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Well today here in the US, the message is starting to shift away from lockdown and talk is about reopening in the coming weeks. Even the CDC director has been on CNN talking about certain areas who dont have significant numbers of cases getting back to school and work. They have also relaxed the guidelines about self isolation for 2 weeks after exposure down to 1 week. I think it will be a good while though before individuals feel comfortable going back to our old ways of non social distancing though.

Good weather is on the wing. All those cooped up New Yorkers and Miami folk are going to want to go sightseeing from Idaho to Nebraska. You'd need to be talking about closing state lines.

I mean, open Alaska but what is the effing point of opening Vermont if half NYC descends on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Hopefully we will get some sort of timeline tommorrow, if they told us the numbers were at a certain level in 2 weeks then certain restrictions would be lifted, then people would listen and there would be a huge effort to cooperate but we know this wont happen. It will be just more clueless fluff with everyone terrified to make a decision. I know trump is a lunatic but is he any worse than the gutless shower we have.

Will be interesting to see what states do when compared with Federal guidelines. Trump is focused on economy first, some governors have already committed to keeping the current situation until early May where I am and I think I read somewhere that they had already guidelines in place until June.

Will be interesting to see what states do when compared with Federal guidelines. Trump is focused on economy first, some governors have already committed to keeping the current situation until early May where I am and I think I read somewhere that they had already guidelines in place until June.

Well the governor where I am has committed to April 30 at least. Honestly, after that though, a shutdown is pretty unsustainable. Hundreds of thousands of people are out of work already in my city, which depends on tourism (vegas). If it goes on into late May and June we're in big trouble.

• Advertisement

Well the governor where I am has committed to April 30 at least. Honestly, after that though, a shutdown is pretty unsustainable. Hundreds of thousands of people are out of work already in my city, which depends on tourism (vegas). If it goes on into late May and June we're in big trouble.

I think the way things are going, there will be restrictions sooner rather than later. Trump is making a lot of noise about sports teams being ready and wanting to get back playing and if they get to that point then they might as well open the floodgates.

Vegas would certainly be a place that would not want to be closed down for too long, but, health has to take priority. Time will tell.

I think the way things are going, there will be restrictions sooner rather than later. Trump is making a lot of noise about sports teams being ready and wanting to get back playing and if they get to that point then they might as well open the floodgates.

Vegas would certainly be a place that would not want to be closed down for too long, but, health has to take priority. Time will tell.

The sports teams will be playing behind closed doors, initially at least, and they will be regularly testing players, as in before each game. they will be going ahead in the coming months for sure or at least that's the plan right now. Too much money depends on it. There's talk of moving the NBA here to Vegas to finish out the season too.

Suppose we'll see what happens in the coming months and if the summer heat really does slow down the spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭JoeCole26

In my opinion, the simple fact of the matter is, sooner rather than later they are going to have to relax restrictions in order for the <60year old group to start contracting the virus and recovering. That is the only logic end to this saga - a combination of some sort of herd immunity and protecting the vunerable. Keeping tight restrictions in place for months on end isn't feasible from a mental health ,economic and virus management perspective. I think you will start to see a lifting of restrictions towards the end of May, with the majority of business back to normal by mid/end of July (pubs included) in order for schools to return in September and life to get back on track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

niallo27 wrote: »
    Hopefully we will get some sort of timeline tommorrow, if they told us the numbers were at a certain level in 2 weeks then certain restrictions would be lifted, then people would listen and there would be a huge effort to cooperate but we know this wont happen. It will be just more clueless fluff with everyone terrified to make a decision. I know trump is a lunatic but is he any worse than the gutless shower we have.

I mean, the professor in charge of the governments modelling said yesterday that unless new cases reaches 0, he wont recommend lifting restrictions. It's up to the Leo and Harris to make the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

It's all new to them too, everyone is winging it across the globe.

I doubt we'll get a timeline, sure the virus isn't going anywhere.

I think it could be a while yet before we see restrictions lifted properly. They might drip feed us the odd bit here and there but we won't get anything substantial.

We could ease off and let the virus take hold but that'll do damage to our economy also, they're stuck between a rock and a hard place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

SteM wrote: »
    The Irish economy is not in a bubble. We're tied to the world economy. If you think relaxing restrictions tomorrow will help our economy in anything other than short term then you're dreaming.

Take the construction industry, there are hundreds of millions of Euro worth of construction contracts in place employing a couple of hundred thousand people. All of these contracts are on hold, racking up huge additional costs and the employees out of work so collecting welfare payments from the exchequer instead of paying tax in to it, plus we get much needed buildings and infrastructure out of it. Getting them back to work as soon as possible will make a significant difference to the economy here. I'm sure there are other non-essential industries which can provide significant economic activity not directly linked to the wider world economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

This is turning into a bit of a mess now.
    Peak always seems to be two weeks away.

It’s obvious now that the government and advisory committee made a bad call with the current lockdown.

There’s too many people working and on the move.

This needed the hard lockdown two weeks ago. Medical ,carers and food distribution and supermarkets only.
    Everything else should have been stopped two weeks ago.

We’re going to be messing around with a half arsed lockdown for 6 months at the way things are going now.

What they are trying to do by keeping non essential so called essential businesses open is like trying to shove water up a hill in regards suppressing the virus and is only extending the current restrictions

I reckon another 3-4 weeks and people will just have enough of this soft route with no end date in sight.

We can’t carry on like this indefinitely. The way Philip Nolan was talking yesterday was maybe the true ideal scenario but it’s not possible or feasible to stay half locked down for another 6-9 months.
    May bank holiday is the most people will put up with I think and it’s going to be a tough job to expect people stay locked up after that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

JoeCole26 wrote: »
    In my opinion, the simple fact of the matter is, sooner rather than later they are going to have to relax restrictions in order for the <60year old group to start contracting the virus and recovering. That is the only logic end to this saga - a combination of some sort of herd immunity and protecting the vunerable. Keeping tight restrictions in place for months on end isn't feasible from a mental health ,economic and virus management perspective. I think you will start to see a lifting of restrictions towards the end of May, with the majority of business back to normal by mid/end of July (pubs included) in order for schools to return in September and life to get back on track.

There seems to be a question of whether those who get the virus actually have immunity. Reports out of China is that a group of those who had recovered tested positive again, and another group who have recovered had no detectable antibody. The only comfort is the worlds smartest scientists are working on the same problem and hopefully they pull us through with a solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I know trump is a lunatic but is he any worse than the gutless shower we have.

The fact that, "the shower we have," aren't lunatics demonstrates that Trump is worse. C'mon. Trump is actually dangerous. He said the virus was a hoax at the start. Have you seen the stats for New York?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭manniot2

Penfailed wrote: »
    The fact that, "the shower we have," aren't lunatics demonstrates that Trump is worse. C'mon. Trump is actually dangerous. He said the virus was a hoax at the start. Have you seen the stats for New York?

The USA have a lower death per million of population than Ireland does.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement