Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Penfailed

manniot2 wrote: »
    The USA have a lower death per million of population than Ireland does.

Oh, okay then. Trump is doing an amazing job...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

manniot2 wrote: »
    The USA have a lower death per million of population than Ireland does.

Crap in, crap out. Data is a little meaningless at this stage. And comparing US to Ireland, even more so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭facehugger99

niallo27 wrote: »
    Hopefully we will get some sort of timeline tommorrow, if they told us the numbers were at a certain level in 2 weeks then certain restrictions would be lifted, then people would listen and there would be a huge effort to cooperate but we know this wont happen. It will be just more clueless fluff with everyone terrified to make a decision. I know trump is a lunatic but is he any worse than the gutless shower we have.

Too concerned about the optics and terrified to make a decision.

We will all pay for this in the coming years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭billyhead

Why did the liked of McDonald's for example have to close up shop. Needless result in unemployment. They could have continued with the drive thru. Not that i like their food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Too concerned about the optics and terrified to make a decision.

We will all pay for this in the coming years.

Hang on. They MADE a decision. That's why we're in a lockdown of sorts.

We will all pay for this in the coming years regardless of ANY decision made. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. The whole world will be going into a recession worse than the financial crash in 2008. That's not going to be down to a decision that Leo made.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Penfailed wrote: »
    Oh, okay then. Trump is doing an amazing job...

It's quite obvious no one is doing an amazing job. History will be the judge of who did it better. There was some spectacular mistakes made here. The CMO not protecting the nursing homes, going as far as castigating the nursing homes for unilaterally restricting visitors, the handling of the return of people from Cheltenham/ premier League matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

billyhead wrote: »
    Why did the liked of McDonald's for example have to close up shop. Needless result in unemployment. They could have continued with the drive thru. Not that i like their food.

Risk to their staff and general public. Would you like to be the staff member roostered for the window of the drive through? Of that staff in those kitchens cant observe social distancing - all for crap money so someone can have their McD fix?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

There was a frantic “close it all down” mania about three or 4 weeks ago. All outlets that tried their best to keep open were ostracised via social media. Raw business dropped off massively as well. There was a kind of naivety that this was going to be over in a few weeks and it was a small term sacrifice. Of course that isn’t what’s turned out to be the case unfortunately.
    I’d put DIY and hardware stores, coffee shops doing take aways in the same category.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Hardware shops should definitely be open. All this time on our hands, what better way to keep people home if they have projects to work on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭secman

Difficulty was the kitchens in those premises are typically very confined and as such the staff required to run a service could not adhere to social distancing .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

We're hardly gonna be on lockdown for the month of May as well are we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭donaghs

terrydel wrote: »
    I dont see anyone suggesting that.
    When the modelling shows that the levels of infection requiring hospital admission are below the level the health system can comfortably cope with, theyll be relaxed.
    The crying and moaning after two weeks is hilarious tho.

It debatable what our health system can comfortably cope with. Making practical suggestions about doing things differently, e.g. so we still have a health system in future, is not crying and moaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

gozunda wrote: »
    Risk to their staff and general public. Would you like to be the staff member roostered for the window of the drive through? Of that staff in those kitchens cant observe social distancing - all for crap money so someone can have their McD fix?

There always a risk in any food presentation- E. coli, salmonella, countless other potential illnesses. What should be done is very best practice to avoid and keep to an absolute minimum the risk of infection. Drive thru would be a help in that regard. This isn’t going away anytime soon so we better get used to it

Until May bank holiday I feel, I think they will be looking at serious unrest / disobedience if they try to go beyond that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

This is turning into a bit of a mess now.
    Peak always seems to be two weeks away.

I don't know where you are getting this from. Indications are that we have a relatively flat curve and won't see a dramatic peak of a very high number of deaths over a few days. Instead we will probably have a longer period of lesser deaths over the next two weeks. Most of these deaths will be people infected prior to introduction of restrictions. While the doom merchants love the headlines about ICUs filling up, we actually have significant capital beyond them so the health service has coped relatively well so far. Indications are that we will get over the peak without getting overwhelmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

They said that they couldn't ensure social distancing of their staff.

Shame because a once a week McDonalds treat would help ease the monotony of the lockdown for families with kids.

secman wrote: »
    Difficulty was the kitchens in those premises are typically very confined and as such the staff required to run a service could not adhere to social distancing .

Personally I think the national waistline may improve from the closure of fast food premises, but I don't understand McD's / Supermacs closing when I see independent take aways still open and one in particular in my home town operates with a kitchen smaller than the one in my home. People inside crammed together waiting for their orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭JoeCole26

100%. Leo & Co. started off well but the numbers being published lately are just way too slow in terms of people getting the virus. We need people, who can statistically recover from it, to get it. This slow slow approach means we will be in lockdown for a while with this current Government calling the shots. A reduction in restrictions in middle of May will help us all get back on track sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

secman wrote: »

Burger King remains open

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

JoeCole26 wrote: »
    We need people, who can statistically recover from it, to get it.
    How do you make sure only young, healthy people get it while nobody else does?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,328 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Penfailed wrote: »
    The fact that, "the shower we have," aren't lunatics demonstrates that Trump is worse. C'mon. Trump is actually dangerous. He said the virus was a hoax at the start. Have you seen the stats for New York?

New York was because of the governor. Up until fairly late he was advising life as usual. Now he realizes that was a mistake and, fair play to him, he has stepped up and taken action. How each state does is because of the governor and the measures they put in place. Some are doing better than others. Thank **** because if trump actually did call the shots for the entire country we'd all be ****ed.

Have you seen the stats for the country outside of New York? A country of 300 million+ people? So far not as bad as it could have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The vulnerable and high risk have to protect themselves in order to avoid it. There is very little the wider population can do for them, they have to protect themselves. Lockdown is an attempt to contain the virus, it does not eliminate it. The risk remains for these people until we either develop a vaccine or achieve herd immunity. The other 80+% of the population will have to earn a living and generate the economic activity required to pay for the health care the remainder will need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Nermal

We can’t ‘make sure’ that doesn’t happen. All we can do is try reasonable steps to minimise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    I don't know where you are getting this from. Indications are that we have a relatively flat curve and won't see a dramatic peak of a very high number of deaths over a few days. Instead we will probably have a longer period of lesser deaths over the next two weeks. Most of these deaths will be people infected prior to introduction of restrictions. While the doom merchants love the headlines about ICUs filling up, we actually have significant capital beyond them so the health service has coped relatively well so far. Indications are that we will get over the peak without getting overwhelmed.

I would have expected the current restrictions to have flattened the curve as they say but everyday at the daily update the peak always seems to be 10 days to two weeks away.

The fact is they probably have no idea when the peak will be but as I said we can’t keep going indefinitely like this.
    Someone needs to make a plan. These experts we are listening to every day are doing a good job in tough circumstances but when it gets down to facts and figures you can see the are lost quoting “I don’t have this to hand ,I don’t know etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

doylefe wrote: »
    Hardware shops should definitely be open. All this time on our hands, what better way to keep people home if they have projects to work on.

the supply to those shops is badly broken at best, the shelves would be getting empty by now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    The vulnerable and high risk have to protect themselves in order to avoid it. There is very little the wider population can do for them, they have to protect themselves. Lockdown is an attempt to contain the virus, it does not eliminate it. The risk remains for these people until we either develop a vaccine or achieve herd immunity. The other 80+% of the population will have to earn a living and generate the economic activity required to pay for the health care the remainder will need.

People cannot just get back to work and potentially continue to spread the virus. Until new infections dry up almost completely there will be no return to normality

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I would have expected the current restrictions to have flattened the curve as they say but everyday at the daily update the peak always seems to be 10 days to two weeks away.

The fact is they probably have no idea when the peak will be but as I said we can’t keep going indefinitely like this.
    Someone needs to make a plan. These experts we are listening to every day are doing a good job in tough circumstances but when it gets down to facts and figures you can see the are lost quoting “I don’t have this to hand ,I don’t know etc.

The current restrictions have flattened the curve in terms of ICU admissions they said as much yesterday but 2 weeks isn't enough to have done it sufficiently, we need another 2-3 weeks up to the may bank holiday of these measures to be sure that the curve is suffiently flattened and that the hospitals aren't at breaking point. After that May bank holiday is when I would expect restrictions to start to be gently eased for the next month or so with everything open my late June.

Also if you watched yesterdays press conference they said the whole idea of this is not to have a surge per say that's the whole point of flattening the curve that you never get this big peak of infection or hosptialisation

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Blueshoe wrote: »
    People cannot just get back to work and potentially continue to spread the virus. Until new infections dry up almost completely there will be no return to normality

Unfortunately that's not going to happen. It was said yesterday that a point will come whereby the virus wont be completely eradicated but that normal life will have to resume

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

JoeCole26 wrote: »
    100%. Leo & Co. started off well but the numbers being published lately are just way too slow in terms of people getting the virus. We need people, who can statistically recover from it, to get it. This slow slow approach means we will be in lockdown for a while with this current Government calling the shots. A reduction in restrictions in middle of May will help us all get back on track sooner rather than later.
    Unfortunately I think this is the case.
    But I think their approach so far was right; we needed time to ramp up the health services for it and we probably need more time still to get a large stock of antibody tests.

There are going to be very difficult decisions for the government coming with them opening up certain sectors of the economy and groups of people to risk and when they are asking us to track our movements using phone apps etc.
    It's easy enough when there's a sense that were all in it together for the greater good, but it's going to be trickier when the response becomes more targeted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I would have expected the current restrictions to have flattened the curve as they say but everyday at the daily update the peak always seems to be 10 days to two weeks away..

There's a bunch of number crunchers at the dept. of health inputting numbers into Microsoft Excel on their PC's to give the current graph, and it's only as good as the info they are typing into it, and that info at the start was very small and they're only adding extra test results and info on deaths from the hospital now so the graph is probably a couple of weeks behind where it should be..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement