Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

What KiKi is saying though is that they can get booze in a Supermarket.

What she wants is to close more businesses, doing even further damage to the economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I know what they are saying but you’ll cause more people flocking to supermarkets

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I'm far from an expert on these matters but it is fairly obvious the current lockdown can't continue indefinitely but I can imagine another month or two of these restrictions.
    Apart from reducing transmission rates it gives the hospitals a chance to implements procedures and work practices, and also to be honest learn how to cope. This is unprecedented, hospital staff and administrators need time to get up to speed on new procedures as well as treat current patients.
    I think we shut down at the right time, if it was earlier we might have less cases but also less opportunity to learn and harder to keep public on board.
    We were luck with the timing, cancelling the st Patrick's day parades was essential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

If we go with lifting some restrictions, what businesses should we open now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭appledrop

Currentluly 1 hour in queue to get into supermarket.

I seriously think things will start breaking down soon if this continues. I've already seen 3 people argue with security.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

appledrop wrote: »

I seriously think things will start breaking down soon if this continues. I've already seen 3 people argue with security.

You will always get Thermos-Heads that will do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Simply not going to happen and was even said by Harris yesterday. Social distancing might be in place but not these measures.

To quote what was said,
    "In relation to the roadmap, there is going to be a point in this country where we will have to live alongside the virus, for want of a better phrase, where sadly people will still get sick and sadly some people will still die but it is at a rate that is sustainable for our doctors to manage,"

Said it in a few places but if the rate of spread is to 1 person and it was around 6 before the current restrictions in place. In very rough terms that means a 6 fold increase in load on the health service 2 weeks on from a relaxing of restrictions. Maybe with masks cocooning and better compliance of the previous measures you get that to 3 fold. But of course 3 people will have passed it onto 3 each and so forth until testing catches them etc .
    At the minute ICU is near their original capacity, have they doubled or tripled it?

Its way to risky at the min obviously and same in 2 weeks. You'd need to see a clear downward trend for a week or two before easing current restrictions. Things are on a slow but steady rise at the min and one of the key indicators (cases per day) is a total mess.

It's fine to say we can't hack another 2weeks of this but not many of us are going to be comfortable let out in the open if the math doesn't make sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Phoebas wrote: »
    And what happens in August, September, October ....

I can't see any scenario where we don't have significant restrictions until the vaccine is rolled out.

As far as the most at risk groups are concerned restrictions of some sort will remain in place for at least the next 12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

KiKi III wrote: »
    I haven’t suggested restricting alcohol. I specifically said you can get your beers in your local supermarket. No need for independent off licenses to be open.

So just boost supermarkets profits further yet at the expense of every other business.

Catch yourself on.

And I have a right to drink if I want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,925 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I haven’t suggested restricting alcohol. I specifically said you can get your beers in your local supermarket. No need for independent off licenses to be open.

This is daft talk.

Independent off licenses are being run, way way better than even lidl and tescos.

And then this will just put more pressure on bigger outlets.

Also - people go to off licenses for a very specific quick shop - people go to shops to get out of boredom and to walk around and try buy other stuff like pizza ovens and clothing and paint and games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

If we go with lifting some restrictions, what businesses should we open now?

Hardware/ Garden centres anywhere with good social distancing methods.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Risteard81 wrote: »
    So just boost supermarkets profits further yet at the expense of every other business.

Catch yourself on.

You only have the option because the government say it's ok to sell and consume alcohol in this country. It's legal here.

You don't have a god given right. You have permission

What time will there be an announcement on the restrictions today?

It hasn`t been announced yet but probably in the early evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

appledrop wrote: »

Tbf you're going to a supermarket at midday when a lot of people are out of work and those in work probably have today off. Not sure what you were expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I know what they are saying but you’ll cause more people flocking to supermarkets

People have to go to the supermarket anyway. This is an additional, unnecessary visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,925 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Blueshoe wrote: »
    You only have the option because the government say it's ok to sell and consume alcohol in this country. It's legal here.

Jesus drank wine - I'm sure his Father does and the primary function of Sunday Mass is the celebration of drinking wine. The last supper was drinking wine - this weekend.

So you actually have a God given right - even more, an instruction. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Jesus drank wine - I'm sure his Father does and the primary function of Sunday Mass is the celebration of drinking wine. The last supper was drinking wine - this weekend.

So you actually have a God given right - even more, an instruction. :D

I'm too old for fairy tales thanks

Catch yourself on.

I haven’t suggested you don’t. I am suggesting buying whatever booze you’d like at the same time that you buy your food.

Relax with the outrage. Crack open a beer right now for all I care, it’s 5 o’clock somewhere.

I have a God-given right actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

sterz wrote: »
    Tbf you're going to a supermarket at midday when a lot of people are out of work and those in work probably have today off. Not sure what you were expecting.

Supermarket at 12 on Good Friday... oh I wonder what the queue will be like...

It'll be 1930 this evening for me and Ill walk straight in.
    Life's too short to be waiting an hour in a queue for a supermarket

• Advertisement

No different than you don’t have a God given right to post bollox on here. You have permission to do so.

This is daft talk.

Independent off licenses are being run, way way better than even lidl and tescos.

And then this will just put more pressure on bigger outlets.

Also - people go to off licenses for a very specific quick shop - people go to shops to get out of boredom and to walk around and try buy other stuff like pizza ovens and clothing and paint and games.

How much research have you done on this? As far as I can tell lidl are running things superbly. Well ran one in one out policy.

Off licences tend to be small and cramped, people pick up bottles and put them down again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

That creates another potential problem

Catch yourself on.

Do you think pubs should be reopened now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭kalych

Hardware/ Garden centres anywhere with good social distancing methods.

Do you work for / own a garden center, is that why you are pushing this?

I haven’t suggested you don’t. I am suggesting buying whatever booze you’d like at the same time that you buy your food.

Relax with the outrage. Crack open a beer right now for all I care, it’s 5 o’clock somewhere.

So you've ignored my point about increasing supermarkets profits further whilst simultaneously cutting off everyone else's income streams.

Funny how I said newsagents AND off licences should close because people can buy their papers and booze in supermarkets.

Literally no one is upset about the idea of shutting newsagents but a big emotional reaction to the idea of closing the offy.

Do you think pubs should be reopened now?

No business should be ordered to close.

The self-appointed regime in Dublin would be better closing permanently.

How much research have you done on this? As far as I can tell lidl are running things superbly. Well ran one in one out policy.

Off licences tend to be small and cramped, people pick up bottles and put them down again.

So adding the queues to supermarkets ( which would be a lot if off licenses closed) is the solution? Anyway pointless debate because off licences will never be closed.

• Advertisement

So you've ignored my point about increasing supermarkets profits further whilst simultaneously cutting off everyone else's income streams.

Lots of people across a lot of sectors have been laid off. I’ve lost a large portion of my income. It’s certainly sad but I don’t see why off licence workers would be exempt.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement