Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

thebaz wrote: »
    Very sorry for your loss - but fully agree about lack of discussion from anyone questioning current dictate, coming from WHO, on possible alternatives like Sweden and South Korea , I agree with what we are doing for now , for next 2 weeks , but the lack of discussion on the impact of all this on our society , particularly the young , lack of social contact and impending Mother of all recessions, and so little talked about this impact , which could be as bad if not worse than virus itself.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/09/coronavirus-could-push-half-a-billion-people-into-poverty-oxfam-warns

It does seem that behind closed doors in politics these concerns are being raised however, and I hope I don’t sound like I’m wearing a tin foil hat when I say this, there appears to be an effort to contain those discussions in the media and in public. Makes sense given the lack of engagement with the press prior to the law implementation

I wonder though if that grace period is over given the coverage in the press today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

How often are you going to a shop.

Anyone going more than once a week - is doing this wrong.

Wrong. You shouldn't be leaving your house. You need to prove (via certificate) that you cannot get your groceries delivered, or else you are in pure violation of the measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

KiKi III wrote: »
    Ummm. You’ll have to go to a supermarket because you’ll need food. You’ve just said you’ve made two unnecessary trips to off licenses and you’re trying to say you’re taking the safer option?

God KiKi you yo yo from making perfect sense to saying things like this. Jesus. You’d do well in Nazi Germany. Alcohol is not essential but neither is petrol.. neither is 50% of food items. Just give groul to us and shut the super markets. Let people have the little luxuries they can in this crazy UNPRECEDENTED time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,877 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Risteard81 wrote: »
    I have a God-given right actually.

This sounds to me more like a potential problem with drink rather than insisting upon "rights"

The obsession with having a pint in these threads just suggests that the reports of us moving away from a drink culture society are premature.

I like a pint too occasionally (I drank as much as every 20 year old when I was younger), but I wouldn't be obsessing about when the pub will reopen or my local off license closing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Fixed that there for you ;-)

I appreciate your positive attitude and I do too pander the same use of the word temporary. However it’s a fluid word that in the current climate can’t and isn’t being defined therefore creating a state of quantum permanence.

Saying that used too much brain power. I need a drink now! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

People have to go to the supermarket anyway. This is an additional, unnecessary visit.

I can guarantee if off licences closed you’ll be queuing at the supermarket a lot longer. People will go specifically for booze. Stop talking nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rusty the athlete

Phoebas wrote: »
    You clearly have an alternative solution. What is it?

Its called common sense.Yesterday I went out for a 4 or 5 km bike ride because I knew I would encounter hardly anybody from beginning to end. I passed one lady cycling on the other side of the road and a fellow cocoonee walking, who I maintained a safe distance of at least 4m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    This sounds to me more like a potential problem with drink rather than insisting upon "rights"

The obsession with having a pint in these threads just suggests that the reports of us moving away from a drink culture society are premature.

I like a pint too occasionally (I drank as much as every 20 year old when I was younger), but I wouldn't be obsessing about when the pub will reopen or my local off license closing

Boards.ie is not essential. Perhaps you should be prosecuted for using it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,697 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

faceman wrote: »

I wonder though if that grace period is over given the coverage in the press today

What particular coverage in press are you referencing ?

ps do you think the Press were banned from talking about lockdown strategy, as a means of getting people to adhere to lockdown, so as to flatten curve and thus relieve stress on healthcare system ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,925 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Its a global pandemic - once people are going along with the government restrictions - they can do what they want with their remaining freedoms they have, once it has no impact on others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

There are a number of economists guiding the government. I know one of them. They came up with the €350/week social welfare plan and the employee retention plan for businesses.

What businesses do you think could/should open?

Memos been received by the company I work for security industry , indicate construction industry will commence a return to work the week of the bank holiday in may,lager site's are been recommended to work 24 hours a day where possible with 3 eight hour shifts .
    Reducing the numbers of workforce on sights at any given time.
    This would make sense as the largest numbers on the emergency government payment are from construction and construction companies could in fact hire more workers to keep a rotation going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

What utter BS. You have no idea of when a vaccine arrives and no idea of the psychological and physical deterioration that this wretched cocooning is causing. It could be 12 months or more before a vaccine arrives. I presume you find its acceptable to incarcerate cocoonees for this length of time. You should reread your posts before submitting such garbage.

Or we may never find a vaccine, Rusty.

The common cold is a coronavirus that we have never found a vaccine for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Its called common sense.Yesterday I went out for a 4 or 5 km bike ride because I knew I would encounter hardly anybody from beginning to end. I passed one lady cycling on the other side of the road and a fellow cocoonee walking, who I maintained a safe distance of at least 4m.

Bike rides.
    That's not really a solution for elderly and at risk people though, is it?

The problem with common sense is that it's not that common.

Wrong. You shouldn't be leaving your house. You need to prove (via certificate) that you cannot get your groceries delivered, or else you are in pure violation of the measures.

What?

You are aware that tesco are sending emails requesting people leave online slots for vulnerable customers and come to the stores instead.

Even if you can get a slot it's 2+ weeks away and no guarantee you'll get all you ordered at that point anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

faceman wrote: »
    The media paints a very grim picture this morning of what the future holds. That coupled with the Times article on Thursday about the story of the signing of the new laws highlight that we are facing tough road ahead, one that will leave us scarred in ways that aren’t being talked about right now.

I attended an online funeral yesterday for someone I should have been present for. His own son couldn’t attend the funeral due to international travel restrictions.

We are merely existing right now and it’s a grim existence at that.

Surviving isn’t living

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I can guarantee if off licences closed you’ll be queuing at the supermarket a lot longer. People will go specifically for booze. Stop talking nonsense.

Why would someone who has to go to the supermarket anyway make a separate trip for alcohol? That’s what’s nonsense.

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Surviving isn’t living

Yes it is. Right now surviving is the goal. So that we can resume “living” in a broader sense of having an enjoyable, fulfilling life later.

Its a global pandemic - once people are going along with the government restrictions - they can do what they want with their remaining freedoms they have, once it has no impact on others.

This line keeps coming out when the "need" for drinking is questioned

My attitude is, drink if you like, but stop making it out to be an "necessity" or "essential" part of life/freedom too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I’m not going to go down the whole xenophobia route like Richie here but keeping off licences open makes sense.

It takes the pressure off supermarket queues when people want to buy just alcohol- I wouldn’t arguing for their closure as you just transfer more people I to supermarkets

Yes it is. Right now surviving is the goal. So that we can resume “living” in a broader sense of having an enjoyable, fulfilling life later.

Absolute rubbish.

• Advertisement

ZX7R wrote: »
    Memos been received by the company I work for security industry , indicate construction industry will commence a return to work the week of the bank holiday in may,lager site's are been recommended to work 24 hours a day where possible with 3 eight hour shifts .
    Reducing the numbers of workforce on sights at any given time.
    This would make sense as the largest numbers on the emergency government payment are from construction and construction companies could in fact hire more workers to keep a rotation going.

I think construction will be the first industry to open back up. Because unlike a bag of cans, it actually is critical.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Or we may never find a vaccine, Rusty.

The common cold is a coronavirus that we have never found a vaccine for.

The common cold doesn`t kill huge numbers of people in a short period of time. If it did I`m sure a vaccine would have been developed a long time ago.

What?

You are aware that tesco are sending emails requesting people leave online slots for vulnerable customers and come to the stores instead.

Even if you can get a slot it's 2+ weeks away and no guarantee you'll get all you ordered at that point anyway

Order enough for 2+ weeks then there is no issue. Or else you are in direct contravention of the measures and contributing to spreading the virus.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish.

In a very literal sense, you are alive. You are living. The people who have died of the coronavirus are not living. Sorry you have trouble adjusting to this reality.

I think construction will be the first industry to open back up. Because unlike a bag of cans, it actually is critical.

Critical to what?

I’m not going to go down the whole xenophobia route like Richie here but keeping off licences open makes sense.

It takes the pressure off supermarket queues when people want to buy just alcohol- I wouldn’t arguing for their closure as you just transfer more people I to supermarkets

I'm not being xenophobic. I was simply pointing out the irony that they're predominantly foreign companies which the State is herding people through at the expense of practically all indigenous businesses.

I have also pointed out that Leo is personally responsible for the destruction of Debenhams (which is foreign-owned since they purchased Roches). So I'm absolutely not being xenophobic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Why would someone who has to go to the supermarket anyway make a separate trip for alcohol? That’s what’s nonsense.

Because some people seem to be under the impression that it`s their God given right to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

The common cold doesn`t kill huge numbers of people. If it did I`m sure a vaccine would have been developed a long time ago.

The actual reason no vaccine has been created for the common cold is because of the huge number of strains there are.

This is BS. Everyone has to go to the supermarket anyway. Putting a couple of bottle of wines in the trolley doesn’t increase pressure on anything.

Mad how threatened people feel by the idea of less access to alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,925 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

This line keeps coming out when the "need" for drinking is questioned

My attitude is, drink if you like, but stop making it out to be an "necessity" or "essential" part of life/freedom too.

Fair enough - I get your pint.

But - there is so much other stuff going on that is far from essential.

Multiple shopping trips.
    Airports open
    Ferry travel
    Garden centres
    Take Aways open
    Dog walking - and their dog **** everywhere.
    Newsagents
    Hardware stores
    Movement outside house
    Deliveries not to do with food

Yes - you go to next level if required - but either lockdown is working or not and you make choices based on data - not out of ideology

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement