Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I know what they are saying but you’ll cause more people flocking to supermarkets

Simple example of two people posting like experts and ignoring or missing the very simple fact you outline above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Simple example of two people posting like experts and ignoring or missing the very simple fact you outline above.

People. Have. To. Go. To. Supermarkets. Anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

The common cold doesn`t kill huge numbers of people in a short space of time. If it did I`m sure a vaccine would have been developed a long time ago.

The viruses evolve too quickly. More likely is that we’ll end up with a batch of yearly vaccines based on best guess of strains, like with flu. There won’t be a once off vaccine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Because some people seem to be under the impression that it`s their God given right to do so.

What would God say about this whole thing? Has anyone even asked that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Risteard81 wrote: »
    I'm not being xenophobic. I was simply pointing out the irony that they're predominantly foreign companies which the State is herding people through at the expense of practically all indigenous businesses.

Which predominantly foreign companies would those be? Name them.

• Advertisement

KiKi III wrote: »

WRONG. Stop contributing to the spread of the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Why would someone who has to go to the supermarket anyway make a separate trip for alcohol? That’s what’s nonsense.

Maybe because they have lots of food and no alcohol so it makes sense to go to the off licence instead of the supermarket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Tesco, Lidl, Aldi. Countless others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

This is BS. Everyone has to go to the supermarket anyway. Putting a couple of bottle of wines in the trolley doesn’t increase pressure on anything.

Mad how threatened people feel by the idea of less access to alcohol.

It’s not bullsh*t
    It’s mad how patronising people get when it comes to alcohol- as if wanting to enjoy it is some kind of sin.

With your logic off licences should exist at all, or butchers- everything should be channelled through supermarkets.

People can still get their wine in their supermarket if they choose to or if they only need wine they can go to an off licence and not clog up the supermarket

He’s talking about Aldi and Lidl, conveniently ignoring Dunnes, SuperValu, Spar, Centra etc that are open and Irish-owned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Fair enough - I get your pint.

But - there is so much other stuff going on that is far from essential.

Multiple shopping trips. Not worth the queuing so most people aren't going alot
    Airports open Hardly anyone travelling anywhere
    Ferry travel Hardly anyone travelling anywhere
    Garden centres Where?
    Take Aways open People have to eat
    Dog walking - and their dog **** everywhere. You clearly don't own a dog
    Newsagents Food, cigarettes (for some), newspapers are essential
    Hardware stores Where?
    Movement outside house Limited to 2km
    Deliveries not to do with food What sort of deliveries?

Yes - you go to next level if required - but either lockdown is working or not and you make choices based on data - not out of ideology

Look forward to your responses

• Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I’m not going to go down the whole xenophobia route like Richie here but keeping off licences open makes sense.

It takes the pressure off supermarket queues when people want to buy just alcohol- I wouldn’t arguing for their closure as you just transfer more people I to supermarkets
    This is BS. Everyone has to go to the supermarket anyway. Putting a couple of bottle of wines in the trolley doesn’t increase pressure on anything.

Mad how threatened people feel by the idea of less access to alcohol.

I agree. there's been some hilarious stuff on this thread at times, this above is another beaut. I like a glass of wine or a few beers. You don't need to an off license for it, it's better range and value in the supermarkets usually. It is weird that off licenses remain open when hardware stores and garden centres are told to close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Allinall

Risteard81 wrote: »

I have also pointed out that Leo is personally responsible for the destruction of Debenhams (which is foreign-owned since they purchased Roches). So I'm absolutely not being xenophobic.

Get off the stage, would ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,925 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

The risk is time based - you can go in and out of off licenses and local shops in seconds - Supermarkets have 1/2 hour long queues and will be worse if small shops closed.

Why are you saying people have to go to "Supermarkets" - this is not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

One of the frustrating things about figuring out a relaxation of restrictions is the time lag between testing and the present day. It's like playing chess by mail, with present day decisions being based on things that happened over a week ago. The general public's already high time preference is really being tested by the notion of an eventual relaxation of measures based on a future drop in cases, which themselves are based on backdated figures.

I think anything beyond another two weeks of the current measures will see a widespread drop off in compliance. It would probable be wise to put forward some kind of hypothetical timeline for how X restrictions could be reduced based on the achievement of X conditions, to really hammer home the fact that while the lockdown is a major drag, it is temporary. Sucking it up for a defined period of time is a lot easier than being in limbo and waiting for a daily report on cases and deaths.

It’s not bullsh*t
    It’s mad how patronising people get when it comes to alcohol- as if wanting to enjoy it is some kind of sin.

With your logic off licences should exist at all, or butchers- everything should be channelled through supermarkets.

People can still get their wine in their supermarket if they choose to or if they only need wine they can go to an off licence and not clog up the supermarket

I have no issue with people drinking alcohol. I have an issue with people making unnecessary journeys.

How hard is it to buy your booze alongside your food shop?

TheCitizen wrote: »
    I agree. there's been some hilarious stuff on this thread at times, this above is another beaut. I like a glass of wine or a few beers. You don't need to an off license for it, it's better range and value in the supermarkets usually. It is weird that off licenses remain open when hardware stores and garden centres are told to close.

Going to the supermarket is absurd. They deliver. Anyone going is in breach of the regulations, afaic.

If someone doesn't have a large freezer on order to store large volumes of food, they are in direct contravention of the spirit of these guidelines.

No it’s common sense you fail to grasp the concept off. Close the off licence and prepare to wait outside the supermarket longer by creating more groups of people in one area.

I have no issue with people drinking alcohol. I have an issue with people making unnecessary journeys.

How is the construction industry critical (unlike a bag of cans)?

The risk is time based - you can go in and out of off licenses and local shops in seconds - Supermarkets have 1/2 hour long queues and will be worse if small shops closed.

Why are you saying people have to go to "Supermarkets" - this is not true.

People need food.

People can buy as much booze as they want in the same place they get food.

This isn’t hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

No it’s common sense you fail to grasp the concept off. Close the off licence and prepare to wait outside the supermarket longer by creating more groups of people in one area.

I'm totally agreeing with you :pac:

It is not that hard but the same logic can be applied to so many other things and the same argument existed prior to this crisis.

I don’t see what going into an offie changes once people are socially distancing.

People need food.

People can buy as much booze as they want in the same place they get food.

This isn’t hard.

They can also get frozen food delivered, and they should (by now) have a large freezer to store it. If they don't, I'd question their commitment to these lockdown measures.

So you do your shopping in Dunnes lets say. You have stocked up mostly , but next day you might run short on bread or milk. So do you wait until next weeks shop or go to the local shop to buy the bread and milk or add to the huge queue at the supermarket just for those 2 items? It can apply to alcohol too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,877 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Order enough for 2+ weeks then there is no issue. Or else you are in direct contravention of the measures and contributing to spreading the virus.

Ah enough with the hysteria. Seriously now. Yes people need to take precautions and be careful when out, but Helen Lovejoy dramatics help no one.

Not everyone has American sized fridge freezers or presses everywhere. Many are living in small apartments or renting a room. Or at home in a crowded house that were pretty full pre-Covid.

I've been restricting movements since the week before Paddy's Day and doing OK without getting sick or spreading anything thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

If the virus is allowed to spread unchecked it will devastate the economy regardless. Do you really think people will be visiting shopping centres, attending large events or spending time in the company of others if there are thousands of infections daily and hundreds of deaths over a sustained period of time? There would be extreme panic which would effectively lead to a shutdown anyway.

^ This person gets it. Shame 90% of the board fails to grasp common sense and instead posts opinions that are based purely on wants and desires.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

They can also get frozen food delivered, and they should (by now) have a large freezer to store it. If they don't, I'd question their commitment to these lockdown measures.

Are you in the freezer sales business or what?
    Over and over about the freezer. Nobody is buying one from you ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Going to the supermarket is absurd. They deliver. Anyone going is in breach of the regulations, afaic.

If someone doesn't have a large freezer on order to store large volumes of food, they are in direct contravention of the spirit of these guidelines.

:confused: Where do you live? Most supermarkets don't deliver that i know of. There is no breaching of regulations going to the supermarket. What are you on about?

So you do your shopping in Dunnes lets say. You have stocked up mostly , but next day you might run short on bread or milk. So do you wait until next weeks shop or go to the local shop to buy the bread and milk? It can apply to alcohol too.

Exactly my point aswell

• Advertisement

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Are you in the freezer sales business or what?

No. If you don't have one, I'm questioning the commitment of those suggesting that a supermarket visit is essential (when it's not) to the lockdown measures.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement