Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

It is not that hard but the same logic can be applied to so many other things and the same argument existed prior to this crisis.

I don’t see what going into an offie changes once people are socially distancing.

It’s an unnecessary trip. It’s interacting with extra people. You might be following all the guidelines but you can’t guarantee that others will.

We’re all being asked to keep our trips to an absolute minimum and I just can’t see going into an off licence or newsagents when you could do it all in one trip as essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

nj27 wrote: »
    One of the frustrating things about figuring out a relaxation of restrictions is the time lag between testing and the present day. It's like playing chess by mail, with present day decisions being based on things that happened over a week ago. The general public's already high time preference is really being tested by the notion of an eventual relaxation of measures based on a future drop in cases, which themselves are based on backdated figures.

I think anything beyond another two weeks of the current measures will see a widespread drop off in compliance. It would probable be wise to put forward some kind of hypothetical timeline for how X restrictions could be reduced based on the achievement of X conditions, to really hammer home the fact that while the lockdown is a major drag, it is temporary. Sucking it up for a defined period of time is a lot easier than being in limbo and waiting for a daily report on cases and deaths.

Totally agree unless we have something to aim for a lot of people will just say it doesnt matter what i do as this government havent the balls to make a decision so why should i bother following all these restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

KiKi III wrote: »
    People need food.

People can buy as much booze as they want in the same place they get food.

This isn’t hard.

You're totally missing the point. There are a lot of people in this country who drink a lot. They buy booze every day depending on their needs. They would need an extra trolley to cover their needs and their weekly food.

Keeping off-licences open is not adding to the problem, it's helping reduce strain on supermarkets.

The pubs are already closed. You can't all of a sudden wave a magic wand and dissolve the alcohol consumption problem in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

They can also get frozen food delivered, and they should (by now) have a large freezer to store it. If they don't, I'd question their commitment to these lockdown measures.

Hang on and I'll get a big fúck off freezer and put it in the middle of a one bedroom apartment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

It’s an unnecessary trip. It’s interacting with extra people. You might be following all the guidelines but you can’t guarantee that others will.

We’re all being asked to keep our trips to an absolute minimum and I just can’t see going into an off licence or newsagents when you could do it all in one trip as essential.

Ok but you have to follow that unnecessary trip logic too and start to restrict the amount of times people go to the supermarket- if they don’t do a 7-10 day shop in one go then any subsequent trips are unnecessary also

• Advertisement

Micky 32 wrote: »
    So you do your shopping in Dunnes lets say. You have stocked up mostly , but next day you might run short on bread or milk. So do you wait until next weeks shop or go to the local shop to buy the bread and milk or add to the huge queue at the supermarket just for those 2 items? It can apply to alcohol too.

Who’s so bad at shopping that they can’t plan out what they need for the next few days and buy it?

If you go shopping and you buy a certain amount off alcohol to do the week and it’s gone the following day, your issue isn’t social distancing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Exactly my point aswell

According to kik maybe we should close the small shops too because we’ll be shopping at the supermarket.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Hang on and I'll get a big fúck off freezer and put it in the middle of a one bedroom apartment.

There are some good deals going at the minute apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,697 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

No. If you don't have one, I'm questioning the commitment of those suggesting that a supermarket visit is essential (when it's not) to the lockdown measures.

Food is absolutlty essential , not everyone can afford to do massive wholsale shops - Shops and supermarkets are absolutlty essential, unless you want the less well off to start starving as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

TheCitizen wrote: »
    :confused:Where do you live? Most supermarkets don't deliver that i know of. There is no breaching of regulations going to the supermarket. What are you on about?

I've been clear that if a supermarket will deliver to your home, you are in direct contravention of guidelines. If you live where a supermarket will deliver, any visit to one is NOT NEEDED.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Park it outside the door. Then get a stool and a shotgun and drink cans out of the freezer. "How's your lockdown goin" you say to passers by. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,925 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Look forward to your responses

Well you are just giving your opinion - all them suggestions could be further restricted,

For example - 0 km outside house.
    No Dog walking
    No travel at all
    Cook your own food from your massive shopping
    No online shopping except food
    1 trip to supermarket per household every 2 weeks
    No car journeys at all - unless work

So - you only do stuff based on benefits, the objective is to return freedoms / restrict to the required level, if there is no benefit or the gain is so small, to the prevention of spread - you don't do the action.

It isn't based on subjectivity.

If it was - I'd have no Dog Walks to start.

Who’s so bad at shopping that they can’t plan out what they need for the next few days and buy it?

If you go shopping and you buy a certain amount off alcohol to do the week and it’s gone the following day, your issue isn’t social distancing.

Ok should we suggest to close the small shop business aswell as the off licences?

Micky 32 wrote: »
    According to kik maybe we should close the small shops too because we’ll be shopping at the supermarket.

If the logic is followed through then butchers, off licences, small shops, etc have to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I've been clear that if a supermarket will deliver to your home, you are in direct contravention of guidelines. If you live where a supermarket will deliver, any visit to one is NOT NEEDED.

Should I wait three weeks for a slot for delivery ?

You won't need a big one if you live in a one bed apartment, I assume you are most 2 people. A regular size one will be enough for 2 weeks (current delivery timeline). Otherwise Supermarket trips are NOT NEEDED.

Bear in mind folks, these aren’t the government guidelines but the ones Timmy made up off the top of his head.

iamwhoiam wrote: »

You should order now for that slot. Any trip after that is not needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,925 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

People need food.

People can buy as much booze as they want in the same place they get food.

This isn’t hard.

IF someone can shop in 2 minutes among small numbers versus 60 mins with large numbers

Who is at higher risk ?
    The maths of risk isn't hard.

If the logic is followed through then butchers, off licences, small shops, etc have to go

Only if you consider food and alcohol to be equally necessary. And if you do, I’d suggest that’s a problematic perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Those aren't the guidelines Timmy. The guidelines allow for going to the supermarket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,234 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

You do know it is literally weeks upon weeks to get a delivery slot?
    The guidelines allow you to visit a supermarket....so it isn't in contravention of the guidelines to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

kalych wrote: »
    I can add that at this time of incredible pressure on our healthcare professionals daily working 16 hours shifts to save lives we owe them that much to listen to experts, not disgruntled people with too much time on their hands.

An emotive response is a waste of your time writing and mine reading.

IF someone can shop in 2 minutes among small numbers versus 60 mins with large numbers

Who is at higher risk ?
    The maths of risk isn't hard.

The flaw in your logic is that the 60 minute shop has to happen anyway, because you will need to buy food whether you buy alcohol or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,328 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

"Bad at shopping"? Stop being a dick. Have you ever been poor? Clearly not. It may come as a surprise that some people don't have the means to buy enough for the next few days.

Also, yes, some people are addicted to alcohol. They may die from withdrawals. Again, I would say, stop being a dick

Yes it goes back to my point about alcohol dependent people. They won’t wait for the next shopping.

Only if you consider food and alcohol to be equally necessary. And if you do, I’d suggest that’s a problematic perspective.

And this goes back to my point about the patronising nonsense of holier than thou people.

You could do all your meat shopping in Tesco too so by your logic butchers should all close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,877 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Yea and as I mentioned above, tesco are actively encouraging people to leave delivery slots for the vulnerable

From an email this week..
    Think, before you click.

At Tesco our online shopping delivery service has seen huge demand in recent weeks and delivery slots are a precious resource right now for customers who cannot visit our stores.

Your custom is important to us but at this time we’re asking our valued online shopping customers who can shop in store, to think before you click. This is to free up slots for those customers who are not able to come in store.

Bear in mind folks, these aren’t the government guidelines but the ones Timmy made up off the top of his head.

If the supermarket delivers to your home, going to one is not needed. Not sure why this is so hard to understand.

• Advertisement

I’ve a genuine concern that you might choke on your own smugness here kiki

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement