Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Penfailed

the idea that everyone stays in lockdown until a vaccine arrives is simply ridiculous and mental.

I haven't seen anyone on this thread suggest this as a possibility.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,697 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Y Otherwise Supermarket trips are NOT NEEDED.

Supermarket trips may not be needed for you, but for the vast majoity of people they are - even in Communist China , they were allowed go to Supermarket - Ther is a chance that a lot people will die from starvation, than the virus , in particular in the developing world, causing much higher deaths than we have seen so far. I give up here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    "Bad at shopping"? Stop being a dick. Have you ever been poor? Clearly not.

Also, yes, some people are addicted to alcohol. They may die from withdrawals. Again, I would say, stop being a dick.

I have a huge amount of direct experience with alcoholism. And it seems like a lot of people on here are flirting with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,925 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

KiKi III wrote: »
    The flaw in your logic is that the 60 minute shop has to happen anyway, because you will need to buy food whether you buy alcohol or not.

I told you - you can get your shopping in a small local shop.

I think the truth of this for the Irish is , they just love going to shops and are using trips to the big shop as something to do .

I'll ask you again - how often are you going to a Big shop ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

And this goes back to my point about the patronising nonsense of holier than thou people.

You could do all your meat shopping in Tesco too so by your logic butchers should all close.

I think the point was that food shops are essential as per government guidelines.
    Buying booze is not essential. You won't die without it.
    Buying from the potted plant shop isn't essential either.

Only essential shops need to be open. Stand alone Off licences aren't essential. If you want booze buy it while you food shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SNNUS

If the supermarket delivers to your home, going to one is not needed. Not sure why this is so hard to understand.

Yes Timmy you really are not getting it..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

This thing is bad enough without closing down something else, there is **** all open, there is **** all places to go to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

Reading through some of the last few posts the thread has gone a bit A wall. Sounds like a few here are trying to carve out careers for themselves as shopping planners and dictate every facet of people’s lives in the process..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

If the supermarket delivers to your home, going to one is not needed. Not sure why this is so hard to understand.

Did you try it? Did they tell you how long delivery can be? I heard a couple of weeks at one stage, unless things have improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Blueshoe wrote: »
    I think the point was that food shops are essential as per government guidelines.
    Buying booze is not essential. You won't die without it.
    Buying from the potted plant shop isn't essential either.

Only essential shops need to be open. Stand alone Off licences aren't essential. If you want booze buy it while you food shop.

And my point is your butchers, small local shop is the same so you have to follow the logic through

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

And this goes back to my point about the patronising nonsense of holier than thou people.

You could do all your meat shopping in Tesco too so by your logic butchers should all close.

We should be keeping as many providers open as possible once physical distancing can be achieved. Closing some of these businesses (as I can only refer to them as loons) is madness. Once the doors shut the likelihood of them surviving is none existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

If we're going to be living with this for at least 18 months, the next phase must involve the fit and healthy section of society building up a level of immunity to this disease. The economic effect of this will also allow us to sustain the people most vulnerable to it, while reducing their chances of catching it from people who have already recovered from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

SNNUS wrote: »
    Yes Timmy you really are not getting it..

Show your workings.

I told you - you can get your shopping in a small local shop.

I think the truth of this for the Irish is , they just love going to shops and are using trips to the big shop as something to do .

I'll ask you again - how often are you going to a Big shop ?

You can also get booze in most small local Centras? You’re proving my point more than your own. Offy not necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

niallo27 wrote: »
    This thing is bad enough without closing down something else, there is **** all open, there is **** all places to go to.

Christ you would swear that was the point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭muddle84

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Hang on and I'll get a big fúck off freezer and put it in the middle of a one bedroom apartment.

Make sure its at least 2m in length so that whatever poor soul you get to carry up the stairs or whatever is needed doesn't have to break the guidelines to help you!

You won't die without it.

Wrong. Google about withdrawal, can make people very ill and can cause death.

And my point is your butchers, small local shop is the same so you have to follow the logic through

They can stay open. They are selling food. Buy booze there too if they sell it.

Stand alone off licenses are not necessary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

It would be nice if a moderator brought this thread back on track.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Christ you would swear that was the point!

Exactly and still people are not happy, they want more shutdown, these restrictions are working, stop trying to add more misery to peoples lives.

• Advertisement

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Wrong. Google about withdrawal, can make people very ill and can cause death.

You shouldn't use Google.
    Firefox is better

Off licenses sell food as well.

KiKi III wrote: »
    You can also get booze in most small local Centras? You’re proving my point more than your own. Offy not necessary.

They are. They keep people in business.

You’re really grasping at straws now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

citysights wrote: »
    Reading through some of the last few posts the thread has gone a bit A wall. Sounds like a few here are trying to carve out careers for themselves as shopping planners and dictate every facet of people’s lives in the process..
    It's not just here. There's a small but vocal faction online who are dying for their countries to institute dictatorships and start locking up people who dare to step outside their homes. And who'd love to be able to call the police as their own personal civil enforcement team against people who break the rules.

I expect it's some kind of misguided fetish that wouldn't feel nearly as appealing if it actually happened.

So do pubs. Yet here we are. They are closed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I’m not sure are you just intentionally avoiding the obvious logic here but anyways- you can get your meat in a Tesco or Dunnes so if the logic us that unnecessary trips need to be reduced then you have to carry that through to everything & channel all shopping into supermarkets.

The logic that you can pick up your wine in Tesco also applies to your pork chops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,925 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I think this is it

The government are saying what we are doing is working.
    The major problems are government procedures , equipment and testing.

People asking for further measures are just trying to exert control over a situation we can not control.

It is either working or not - the government need to be clear.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist - but got worried when the figure yesterday was exactly 500 - coming up to the B/H weekend , if we have a drop by Tuesday to the likes of 200/300 , what is going on.

But stop Dog Walks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

I personally have no issue with closing off licenses because I buy my booze mostly in the local shop or Supermarket, however if you do order off-licenses to close then you would have to close local butchers, fishmongers, greengrocers etc.
    I believe they are all referred to as 'speciality food and beverage shops'.

Doing that would be just like sticking up two fingers to small local businesses.

In all likelihood smaller shops are probably 'safer' anyway as they can more easily restrict movements,enforce social distancing and keep the place clean (especially if everything is behind the counter).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Did you try it? Did they tell you how long delivery can be? I heard a couple of weeks at one stage, unless things have improved.

For the 3rd time... Book your slot now, order enough that is financially viable to keep you going until the next booking slot.

The idea that people are spreading the virus in a supermarket because they want a prawn linguine with FRESH past is outrageous.

Just order online when the slot is there and order enough.

Otherwise, you are contravening the guidelines and the neighbours are within their right to call the Gardai.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement