Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Blueshoe wrote: »
    They can stay open. They are selling food. Buy booze there too if they sell it.

Stand alone off licenses are not necessary

Stand alone off licenses take away the numbers flocking to Supermarkets who only want alcohol. Better physical distancing, it's not hard to understand also keeps people still in employment supporting their families and paying tax, a valuable commodity the state needs.
    If you have an issue with alcohol that's your prerogative but don't use a crisis to push a personal agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I think this is it

The government are saying what we are doing is working.
    The major problems are government procedures , equipment and testing.

People asking for further measures are just trying to exert control over a situation we can not control.

It is either working or not - the government need to be clear.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist - but got worried when the figure yesterday was exactly 500 - coming up to the B/H weekend , if we have a drop by Tuesday to the likes of 200/300 , what is going on.

But stop Dog Walks :D

Why stop dog walking? Once it’s done by oneself and social distancing is maintained then what’s the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Steer55 wrote: »
    Same here with Laya. Just wondering now that all private hospitals have for now being coopted into the public system, are they going to refund us?

I'd say they are hoping it would slip under the radar and things would get back to normal and no one would question. The longer this goes on, the more business like these with Monthly subscriptions are going to come under severe pressure. Gyms are another one in the same boat. Even car insurance if families have several cars and they're all parked up. Business paying public liability for non existent customers. This whole thing is a Pandoras box.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Exactly and still people are not happy, they want more shutdown, these restrictions are working, stop trying to add more misery to peoples lives.

Almost like they are enjoying the present crisis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

I’m not sure are you just intentionally avoiding the obvious logic here but anyways- you can get your meat in a Tesco or Dunnes so if the logic us that unnecessary trips need to be reduced then you have to carry that through to everything & channel all shopping into supermarkets.

The logic that you can pick up your wine in Tesco also applies to your pork chops

I don't really care where you get it. Stand alone Off licences are not necessary and should be closed. It's Ireland you can buy alcohol in many shops. You can also buy food while you are there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

I go for a big shop once a week. The queue takes about 20 to 40 minutes now. I have a car. That allowed my to buy 5kgs (10 cans) worth of alcohol with a shop. I was able to roll my big shop to the both of my car, drive my car home and unload my car in manageable portions and my house has the room to store the food.

I am not blind though. I know there are people in society who don't live near a supermarket, who don't own a car. There are people who have to cycle and walk to to the shop. They have to carry what they buy. They have to buy more days worth of food now ,if they want to avoid spending so long in the supermarkets and the associated queues every few days. They don't have the space in the cupboard to store the food nevermind the alcohol that the household or more people will consume over a week. They walk to the local off licence to buy the drink on their day off, consume it and throw the containers away.

Closing off licences is classist. It hits the poor disproportionately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Stand alone off licenses take away the numbers flocking to Supermarkets who only want alcohol. Better physical distancing, it's not hard to understand also keeps people still in employment supporting their families and paying tax, a valuable commodity the state needs.
    If you have an issue with alcohol that's your prerogative but don't use a crisis to push a personal agenda.

We'll need Gardai to check trolleys to make sure that people are not going to the supermarket just to buy booze.
    They'll have to come up with some acceptable 'food to booze' ratios.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Exactly and still people are not happy, they want more shutdown, these restrictions are working, stop trying to add more misery to peoples lives.

I swear there's a large and vocal cohort that actually get off on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭irishgeo

For the 3rd time... Book your slot now, order enough that is financially viable to keep you going until the next booking slot.

The idea that people are spreading the virus in a supermarket because they want a prawn linguine with FRESH past is outrageous.

Just order online when the slot is there and order enough.

Otherwise, you are contravening the guidelines and the neighbours are within their right to call the Gardai.

Your talking ****. If everyone ordered online the 3 supermarkets my town who do online delivery wouldn't cope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

For the 3rd time...

Otherwise, you are contravening the guidelines and the neighbours are within their right to call the Gardai.

Probably for the 1000th time by now ..... going to the supermarket for shopping IS NOT contravening the guidlines so stop spouting nonsense.

• Advertisement

You can buy it with your food shopping. Don't all businesses employ people, pay tax and whatever else you said? Yet only essential ones are open
    Ie food shops. Buy your booze there. One trip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

road_high wrote: »
    I swear there's a large and vocal cohort that actually get off on it.

I believe I coined Lockdown fetishists phrase... they might not be enjoying it, but the thought of others struggling with it gives them pleasure.

I don't really care where you get it. Stand alone Off licences are not necessary and should be closed. It's Ireland you can buy alcohol in many shops. You can also buy food while you are there

I agree so we close butchers too- you agreed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,925 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

St.Spodo wrote: »
    If we're going to be living with this for at least 18 months, the next phase must involve the fit and healthy section of society building up a level of immunity to this disease. The economic effect of this will also allow us to sustain the people most vulnerable to it, while reducing their chances of catching it from people who have already recovered from it.

This is the talk in media the last few days - a form of mad thinking that has got legs in desperate times.

These young healthy people are going to live in some sort alternative world and not interact with the rest of society - live in some encampment just east of the IFSC (or somewhere) , not go to the same shops, or even live in their own homes with their own families , they are not going to get on the same busses or live in the same 2 km circles. They are not even going to have business owners or managers near them.

Kind of crazy idea doing the rounds in media.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Probably for the 1000th time by now ..... going to the supermarket for shopping IS NOT contravening the guidlines so stop spouting nonsense.

If they deliver. It is. It is an unnecessary trip.

STAY AT HOME.

I agree so we close butchers too- you agreed?

No they sell food

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,925 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Why stop dog walking? Once it’s done by oneself and social distancing is maintained then what’s the problem?

Dog **** and people let their dog off a lead - that then runs over at kids.

You can buy it with your food shopping. Don't all businesses employ people, pay tax and whatever else you said? Yet only essential ones are open

Order it onine. 0 trips. Why do YOU need 100% more trips than is necessary?

We'll need Gardai to check trolleys to make sure that people are not going to the supermarket just to buy booze.
    They'll have to come up with some acceptable 'food to booze' ratios.

A Chief constable in the UK landed himself in hot water with a similar suggestion. At present the government is enjoying compilance from the majority, some of the posters here from what I can see want to antagonise others for their own personal amusement. I choose to ignore the more obvious WUMs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Acosta

Indeed. I've been to an off licence a couple of times since the lockdown kicked off and both times I was the only one in there. Better for health and anxiety.

• Advertisement

So just because it suits you then everyone should be forced to do it?

What about people with no car?
    Should they buy all their booze in the supermarket and carry it home even if they have an off license next door?

No they sell food

But that breaks your own “one trip” logic.

I see you’re just being disagreeable for the sake of it- fair enough.

Have a good day

You are onto something. Dogs, kids, the fit and healthy, a mass culling. Only then can the restrictions be lifted and the lockdown lovers remain inside forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,877 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Almost like they are enjoying the present crisis.

Nah it's the usual thing nowadays - look at how virtuous I am! Aren't I good? Now look at all these losers who aren't getting it. Attack them. Show them how wrong they are! Make them admit it so I feel validated :rolleyes:

Social media has it's uses, but it's a magnet for such types of people.

Kids? Wtf are groups of kids doing out?

I believe I coined Lockdown fetishists phrase... they might not be enjoying it, but the thought of others struggling with it gives them pleasure.

Yes it's the thought of others being restricted and hopefully as miserable and same as they are that they get off on. Punishment like fines and Garda harassment are just the icing on the cake.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,053 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've been clear that if a supermarket will deliver to your home, you are in direct contravention of guidelines. If you live where a supermarket will deliver, any visit to one is NOT NEEDED.

Drop this point now

They are trying to reserve home deliveries for those who have to self-isolate or those who can't get to shops when open due to work and other commitments

Even then the system is clogged up and Tesco stopped taking orders at one stage as they could not fulfil in a reasonable timescale

Please do not place your own interpretation on rules and then preach that to everyone else

Any questions, PM me - do not respond to this post in-thread

I get the feeling that people complaining about going outside are people who have nice big gardens and balconies.
    People complaining about others doing multiple shops are those with big cars and probably a garage to store their purchases.

They don't realise that not everyone is as lucky as them

So you want to throw more people onto SW? For what purpose other than your own personal agenda.
    I see no reason to destroy the livihoods of thousands of people when it is not necessary to do so. You really need to have a word with yourself.
    Anyone like your friend I'm finished dealing with your....well I won't use the word. I'm sure you can guess what it is.

• Advertisement

Order it onine. 0 trips. Why do YOU need 100% more trips than is necessary?

I thought the online slots were for the elderly and those without transport?

Food shopping is within the guidelines

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement