Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

KiKi III wrote: »
    You can also get booze in most small local Centras? You’re proving my point more than your own. Offy not necessary.

Honestly you must get sick of being so constantly moany

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

If they deliver. It is. It is an unnecessary trip.

STAY AT HOME.

If everyone did exactly as you said lets see how long your out of date steak or chicken would reach your door.

Once again for the 1001th time shopping DOES NOT break the restriction rules. Stop posting false info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Wrong. Google about withdrawal, can make people very ill and can cause death.

Home brewing? kits bought online. Or admit you have a problem, ring the GP and get medical advice needed.

Losing count of how many 'won't someone think of the alcoholics' posts and comments I've seen here and elsewhere on social media at the mere thought of off-licences being shut. As if further evidence was needed we have a serious alcohol abuse problem in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

What are people's thoughts on off-licences being allowed to remain open when you can buy alcohol in a supermarket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Acosta

sterz wrote: »
    What are people's thoughts on off-licences being allowed to remain open when you can buy alcohol in a supermarket?

Why would anyone have an issue with that? Close stand alone offies and you have a lot more people crammed into your local centra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

If you need to, or have ever gone to, an off licence and not bought your wine as part of your weekly shop - then you are a raging alcoholic whose alcohol dependency is a burden on the rest of us and should not be tolerated.

Or something like that anyway.

You’re not allowed enjoy it tho- you are only dependent on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I get the feeling that people complaining about going outside are people who have nice big gardens and balconies.
    People complaining about others doing multiple shops are those with big cars and probably a garage to store their purchases.

They don't realise that not everyone is as lucky as them

I live rurally with lots of open space around me. I cannot imagine what being expected to live in a confined space like a small apartment with limited access to an open space is like. I would not presume to tell anyone how to cope at the moment. I see my own wife struggling despite the pluses we have. She has not seen her parents in weeks, off work due to the virus. One of the businesses deemed non essential, yet it was for her sense of well being. I know she would really struggle mentally if we were city dwellers. I fell sorry for anyone that is struggling to cope mentally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,925 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Greentopia wrote: »
    Home brewing? kits bought online. Or admit you have a problem, ring the GP and get medical advice needed.

Losing count of how many 'won't someone think of the alcoholics' posts and comments I've seen here and elsewhere on social media at the mere thought of off-licences being shut. As if further evidence was needed we have a serious alcohol abuse problem in this country.

In fairness we have a much worse Covid problem.

If everyone did exactly as you said lets see how long your out of date steak or chicken would reach your door.

Once again for the 1001th time shopping DOES NOT break the restriction rules. Stop posting false info.

You need to read posts from Timmy alot further back. He is now being a parody of those who want more closures.

For the record, my question was rhetorical.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

I get the feeling that people complaining about going outside are people who have nice big gardens and balconies.
    People complaining about others doing multiple shops are those with big cars and probably a garage to store their purchases.

They don't realise that not everyone is as lucky as them

Nothing stopping you from going outside .There are apps that pin your location and give you a 2km radius. You can take off for a walk and enjoy the weather. I'm just about to head out myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

As a nation we love our drink. Some may say it's sad, but its true.

If the offys and the pubs closed at the same time - the level of unrest and noncompliance would likely be worse imo.

And it would be problematic for supermarkets and could make social distancing there unmanageable.

In fairness we have a much worse Covid problem.

Covid- short term problem (or at least 18 months max), alcoholism long term. Which do you think really costs the exchequer and society more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,925 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Covid- short term problem (or at least 18 months max), alcoholism long term. Which do you think really costs the exchequer and society more?

Covid - by the scale never seen before.

You can get meat in the Supermarket, close all butchers? You can get a newspaper in the Supermarket , closes all newsagents? Some even sell road fuel , close filling stations?
    Sure why not more people on Social Welfare and well larger queues outside Supermarkets.
    Good idea?

Covid - by the scale never seen before.

1918 pandemic says otherwise.

For the record, my question was rhetorical.

Ffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

1918 pandemic says otherwise.

How many died? Was it 50 million? How many people have died of alcohol since 1918? If you have figures and facts i’ll happily agree.

Ffs!

Prehaps just make your point instead of trying to be dramatic. Just a suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Aldi supermarket is 1.1 km away and close at 8 pm. Local off licence is 550m and the next one is 850m away. They both close at 10 pm.

• Advertisement

Personally I wouldn't care if they all closed and never re-opened, but downside is of course people would lose their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

You can get meat in the Supermarket, close all butchers? You can get a newspaper in the Supermarket , closes all newsagents? Some even sell road fuel , close filling stations?
    Sure why not more people on Social Welfare and well larger queues outside Supermarkets.
    Good idea?

Most of the small shops and convenience stores are open and most petrol stations have alcohol as well. If offies disappeared entirely I don't think I'd miss them at all

How many died? Was it 50 million? How many people have died of alcohol since 1918? If you have figures and facts i’ll happily agree.

At least 50 million worldwide.

Total number of deaths from alcohol since 1918 is very hard to say and I'm not quite bored enough to work it all out taking into account things like a world war, prohibition, population increase etc

A quick google search tells me 3 million died in 2016- https://www.who.int/news-room/detail/21-09-2018-harmful-use-of-alcohol-kills-more-than-3-million-people-each-year--most-of-them-men

Even taking into account those factors that must mean far more than the 50 million dead from the Spanish flu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Nothing stopping you from going outside .There are apps that pin your location and give you a 2km radius. You can take off for a walk and enjoy the weather. I'm just about to head out myself

Say I decided to sit down in the sunshine in the park and take in some sun, would you and your like not take pictures and complain to the Gardai?

It's the same people complaining about that as the ones complaining about off licenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Most of the small shops and convenience stores are open and most petrol stations have alcohol as well. If offies disappeared entirely I don't think I'd miss them at all

Local petrol station is 300m beyond local off licence. The petrol station have a limited selection of wines and our more expensive than the off licences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,448 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Personally I wouldn't care if they all closed and never re-opened, but downside is of course people would lose their jobs.

I'd say your the life and soul at parties. BYOB of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Blueshoe wrote: »
    I thought the online slots were for the elderly and those without transport?

Food shopping is within the guidelines

So it going to the off license but you still have a problem with it.

YFlyer wrote: »
    Local petrol station is 300m beyond local off licence. The petrol station have a limited selection of wines and our more expensive than the off licences.

Some people like to cause misery for others and will always try and find an opportunity. The present crisis is like all their Christmases at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

I expect restrictions until end of April
    Then the restrictions will be relaxed until fully gone by end of may

The cure cannot be worse then the disease - something trump is getting hammered for saying it 4 weeks and we will all say it

Yep. That'd be my thinking too. I can't see these restrictions being relaxed until the end of this month at the earliest. Might take until somewhere between June and July before we're fully back up and running again. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Some people like to cause misery for others and will always try and find an opportunity. The present crisis is like all their Christmases at once.

It’s you who is assuming that people who take a different view to you are doing so out of badness; a desire to inflict misery as you put it.

For pretty much all people who want a tighter lockdown, the goal is that restrictions are eased sooner for everyone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement