Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Say I decided to sit down in the sunshine in the park and take in some sun, would you and your like not take pictures and complain to the Gardai?

It's the same people complaining about that as the ones complaining about off licenses.

No, but if you were there with five of your pals and it seemed unlikely you were all from the same household I’d consider it.

I’ve thought about it a few times over the last week but haven’t done it, and I doubt there’s a need to now with the increased Garda presence around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

KiKi III wrote: »
    It’s you who is assuming that people who take a different view to you are doing so out of badness; a desire to inflict misery as you put it.

For pretty much all people who want a tighter lockdown, the goal is that restrictions are eased sooner for everyone.

These restrictions are working though but they are testing a lot of peoples patience. It's working, there has to be a balance.

niallo27 wrote: »
    These restrictions are working though but they are testing a lot of peoples patience. It's working, there has to be a balance.

That makes sense and it’s fair enough that people have different takes on different levels of restrictions. I just think it’s unfair to suggest that people who are in favour of tighter restrictions are doing so out of malice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

No, but if you were there with five of your pals and it seemed unlikely you were all from the same household I’d consider it.

I’ve thought about it a few times over the last week but haven’t done it, and I doubt there’s a need to now with the increased Garda presence around the place.

Wow!

That tells me all I need to know about you and it's not good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

thebaz wrote: »
    What particular coverage in press are you referencing ?

ps do you think the Press were banned from talking about lockdown strategy, as a means of getting people to adhere to lockdown, so as to flatten curve and thus relieve stress on healthcare system ?

This is just armchair speculation on my part. There is a dire need for public conformity which means shutting down any discussion or free thinking on wider implications. The media have not published much on the topic of sustainability and conformity until today, but of course must do it by painting a grim picture to spurn public thinking. Even boards.ie is seeing the necessity for limiting free thinking on the topic; a thread I started on morality was locked. (That’s all those mod conspiracy theories shot down, see we’re not always in agreement :)).

The problem we are seeing right now is that common sense is flying out the window, something that in itself will cause a thought revolution as some begin to think “ah hang on, this isn’t right”. You can see it in this thread as people pointlessly argue over whether off licenses should be open and someone else saying you shouldn’t have your windows open as you’re spreading the virus.

Don’t get me wrong. We all support the lockdown. In theory anyway. But the reality is we all have a limit and a threshold where we feel it applies to us as an individual.

The next 2 weeks are a critical juncture on a number of fronts.

1) continue control of virus (priority 1 obviously)

2) maintenance of public support for continued lockdown.

3) consideration of stricter enforcement or controls (Similar to Spain/Italy) if lockdown extends further

4) making a path that eases restrictions but maintains public support throughout. (If people are arguing over off licenses now imagine what it will be like if Johnny’s job is considered first to reopen but Tommy’s isn’t)

5) general election. Yep there will be another and will FG call it if they’re enforcing restrictions at the same time? Politicians are politicians at the end of the day

Might just be me rambling of course and I should open the whiskey. That I bought in an off license. Wearing no gloves. On my second visit to the shop.

(Kidding about the whiskey bit)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

That makes sense and it’s fair enough that people have different takes on different levels of restrictions. I just think it’s unfair to suggest that people who are in favour of tighter restrictions are doing so out of malice.

Ah we know its not out of malice, I just think further restrictions would piss off the 95% of people who are following the guidelines because of the 5% who are not. You would be punishing the people who want to fix this and in my opinion it would cause a lot more to break restrictions and cause a lot of anxiety in society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Most of the small shops and convenience stores are open and most petrol stations have alcohol as well. If offies disappeared entirely I don't think I'd miss them at all

Ok, but that’s you.
    That’s not everybody

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

It’s you who is assuming that people who take a different view to you are doing so out of badness; a desire to inflict misery as you put it.

For pretty much all people who want a tighter lockdown, the goal is that restrictions are eased sooner for everyone.

Perhaps not you but there are many calling for the current restrictions to remain until the number of new cases is almost zero or there are no more deaths, etc. The fact is that these things aren't going to happen for quite a while, restrictions or not. Global pandemics don't just end like that. We are going to have to live with the virus for a at least a year, probably longer, tighter restrictions now won't change that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

In fairness we are getting mixed messages from the state. Holohan encourages people to report people. Harris said it’s not about reporting people.

Ultimately the decision rests with you

Wow!

That tells me all I need to know about you and it's not good.

I live in an area where young people tend to congregate when the sun starts shining.

I saw it getting a bit busier during the week. I seriously considered calling the Garda station not on any particular individual, but to come down and patrol the area more generally.

If you think less of me for that (considering I didn’t even follow through and do it) I can live with that, doubt I’ll be losing any sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Reading the comments here, alot seem to forgot this crisis won't last for ever but people that know them may remember their behaviour afterwards and that applies to everyone no matter what your opinion is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Lads take a read of this and you wonder about my cynicism with the morons in charge here? this just gets better and better

The Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection wishes to confirm that there are no plans in place to share data we receive as part of an immigrant’s application for a #COVID19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment with GNIB or the Department of Justice and Equality.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058068997

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

I live in an area where young people tend to congregate when the sun starts shining.

I saw it getting a bit busier during the week. I seriously considered calling the Garda station not on any particular individual, but to come down and patrol the area more generally.

If you think less of me for that (considering I didn’t even follow through and do it) I can live with that, doubt I’ll be losing any sleep.

I really dislike this trait we have developed in the last week of spying and telling on people because of assumptions not facts.
    Especially for things that ordinarily are not seen as wrong.

It's not healthy for the people spying and definitely not healthy for society as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Reading the comments here, alot seem to forgot this crisis won't last for ever but people that know them may remember their behaviour afterwards and that applies to everyone no matter what your opinion is.

Agreed. I'll remember the people that couldn't heed some simple instructions to stay indoors unless they had essential trips to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,925 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Just again to ask - how many times a week do you go to the shops ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I just think it’s unfair to suggest that people who are in favour of tighter restrictions are doing so out of malice.

Mostly, they're doing it out of fear; a selfish emotion at the best of times.

What's the end goal of tighter restrictions - no more infections?

What happens when restrictions get lifted and there are more cases - back into lockdown?

Makes zero sense and followed to its logical conclusion will result in a complete collapse of society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Some people like to cause misery for others and will always try and find an opportunity. The present crisis is like all their Christmases at once.

True. They're delighted pubs aren't serving today.

By only going to the off licence, I'm limiting my points of contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,823 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Lads take a read of this and you wonder about my cynicism with the morons in charge here? this just gets better and better

The Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection wishes to confirm that there are no plans in place to share data we receive as part of an immigrant’s application for a #COVID19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment with GNIB or the Department of Justice and Equality.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058068997

Sounds like you are conflating this with another hobby horse of yours.

Covid-19 is a medical issue.
    If you were being questioned about a speeding offence, do you think the Garda would need to know about that itch that you had to get looked at.

I really dislike this trait we have developed in the last week of spying and telling on people because of assumptions not facts.
    Especially for things that ordinarily are not seen as wrong.

It's not healthy for the people spying and definitely not healthy for society as a whole.

Reporting people for breaking the law isn’t a new thing, and it happens in the most free countries in the world.

Sure, these things aren’t *ordinarily* seen as wrong, but we’re not living in ordinary times.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

faceman wrote: »
    This is just armchair speculation on my part. There is a dire need for public conformity which means shutting down any discussion or free thinking on wider implications. The media have not published much on the topic of sustainability and conformity until today, but of course must do it by painting a grim picture to spurn public thinking. Even boards.ie is seeing the necessity for limiting free thinking on the topic; a thread I started on morality was locked. (That’s all those mod conspiracy theories shot down, see we’re not always in agreement :)).

The problem we are seeing right now is that common sense is flying out the window, something that in itself will cause a thought revolution as some begin to think “ah hang on, this isn’t right”. You can see it in this thread as people pointlessly argue over whether off licenses should be open and someone else saying you shouldn’t have your windows open as you’re spreading the virus.

Don’t get me wrong. We all support the lockdown. In theory anyway. But the reality is we all have a limit and a threshold where we feel it applies to us as an individual.

The next 2 weeks are a critical juncture on a number of fronts.

1) continue control of virus (priority 1 obviously)

2) maintenance of public support for continued lockdown.

3) consideration of stricter enforcement or controls (Similar to Spain/Italy) if lockdown extends further

4) making a path that eases restrictions but maintains public support throughout. (If people are arguing over off licenses now imagine what it will be like if Johnny’s job is considered first to reopen but Tommy’s isn’t)

5) general election. Yep there will be another and will FG call it if they’re enforcing restrictions at the same time? Politicians are politicians at the end of the day

Might just be me rambling of course and I should open the whiskey. That I bought in an off license. Wearing no gloves. On my second visit to the shop.

(Kidding about the whiskey bit)

Plus the testing regime has to be sorted out pronto, there have been statements all week by Holohan and co that without same/next day testing and results, they will not advocate lifting restrictions

If lack of a proper testing regime results in longer restrictions through no fault of the publics, people will just lose faith in the system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

We are living in unprecedented times, why some people can't or won't follow simple guidelines is mildly frustrating. Unfortunately there is no cure for stupid.

You’re confusing stupidity with selfishness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

For the 3rd time... Book your slot now, order enough that is financially viable to keep you going until the next booking slot.

The idea that people are spreading the virus in a supermarket because they want a prawn linguine with FRESH past is outrageous.

Just order online when the slot is there and order enough.

Otherwise, you are contravening the guidelines and the neighbours are within their right to call the Gardai.

Mod: Between making up guidelines contrary to government advice, and pushing those as official advice, and continuing with "lockdown fetishes" despite warnings yesterday, I've had enough with you.

Do not post in this thread again.

Seems to me that there are two unarguable facts here
    1. We have to start to get the economy moving in May / June, albeit gradually and with social distancing and working from home, or we will have nothing to come back to
    2. We have to protect the health service and stop too many people needing ICU beds

Seems to me that there is only one way to try to marry those two seemingly contradictory objectives: we gradually reopen the economy but those at risk have to stay home. Until a vaccine, even if that is a year away. We can keep special supermarket hours for them for as long as it takes.

It will suck for people over whatever age is deemed ‘at risk’ by the medics, and those individuals with health conditions. The pubs might eventually open, but people over a certain age might be banned from going into them. I mean that will be f****** awful for those people

But I just don’t see any other option if we are not to just set fire to our country in an effort to stop the spread

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Sounds like you are conflating this with another hobby horse of yours.

Covid-19 is a medical issue.
    If you were being questioned about a speeding offence, do you think the Garda would need to know about that itch that you had to get looked at.

Nonsense.

At the moment it's primarily an economic issue. There are almost 100 people out of work for every positive case in the country at the moment and the vast majority of these positive cases have zero to mild symptoms.

For every person who'd wound up in an ICU bed there have been hundreds who've wound up on the dole queue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,925 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

We are living in unprecedented times, why some people can't or won't follow simple guidelines is mildly frustrating. Unfortunately there is no cure for stupid.

Just to question this - because many of the online stuff like - Ferries with English - Holiday homes in Wexford have been debunked by official sources.

Are we not maybe in 95 to 98 % compliance.

You see people giving you a look - or checking you out when on a walk , it is the very thing they are doing.
    This is permitted.

Is the lack of compliance a bit over stated and magnified by modern social media ?
    o
    I think the Irish compliance is fairly impressive to be honest.

Just to question this - because many of the online stuff like - Ferries with English - Holiday homes in Wexford have been debunked by official sources.

Are we not maybe in 95 to 98 % compliance.

You see people giving you a look - or checking you out when on a walk , it is the very thing they are ding.

Is the lack of compliance a bit over stated and magnified by modern social media ?

I think the Irish compliance is fairly impressive to be honest.

Have you got a link for 95-98% compliance? Or is it a guess on your part?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

1. We have to start to get the economy moving in May / June, albeit gradually and with social distancing and working from home, or we will have nothing to come back to
    2. We have to protect the health service and stop too many people needing ICU beds

Seems to me that there is only one way to try to marry those two seemingly contradictory objectives: we gradually reopen the economy but those at risk have to stay home. Until a vaccine, even if that is a year away. We can keep special supermarket hours for them for as long as it takes.

It will suck for people over whatever age is deemed ‘at risk’ by the medics, and those individuals with health conditions. The pubs might eventually open, but people over a certain age might be banned from going into them. I mean that will be f****** awful for those people

But I just don’t see any other option if we are not to just set fire to our country in an effort to stop the spread

What do you do about 'vulnerable' people who are currently sharing a house with those who you envisage as going about their normal business?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,823 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Nonsense.

At the moment it's primarily an economic issue. There are almost 100 people out of work for every positive case in the country at the moment and the vast majority of these positive cases have zero to mild symptoms.

I know you have an agenda. It is why you are posting here instead of the main thread.

Every organisation, country, government and company sees this as a medical issue which is having economic consequences.

Stop trying to put the cart before the horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

look, it can suck for all of us, or it can suck for some of us! I wont be surprised in a few months, if and the **** probably will hit the fan properly, the government are facing huge anger, that they made this crisis, far worse than it needed to be. Time will tell...

• Advertisement

What do you do about 'vulnerable' people who are currently sharing a house with those who you envisage as going about their normal business?

There will be difficult situations for sure, and it will put those vulnerable people at some risk unless they can be isolated. But I don’t see another way

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement