Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

Nonsense.

At the moment it's primarily an economic issue. There are almost 100 people out of work for every positive case in the country at the moment and the vast majority of these positive cases have zero to mild symptoms.

You don't consider Covid-19 to be a medical issue? It beggars belief how one could be so resolutely ignorant of the grim realities that face the elderly and immuno suppressed. What are they, sacrificial lambs for economic progress? These people have families who care about them, how are they supposed to feel if a loved one is lost. You ought to be ashamed of yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,925 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

KiKi III wrote: »
    Have you got a link for 95-98% compliance? Or is it a guess on your part?

A guess - but there seems to be an exaggeration of non compliance (IMO)

Any comment on your own shopping trips ? How many in say 2 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Thought so.

Thought so.

Shopping trips ?

Again - have you evidence of significant non compliance - I'm incredibly impressed by the effort - except excessive shopping trip and Dog walks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Say I decided to sit down in the sunshine in the park and take in some sun, would you and your like not take pictures and complain to the Gardai?

It's the same people complaining about that as the ones complaining about off licenses.

I'd sir down 2.1 metres away from you and say hello

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Reporting people for breaking the law isn’t a new thing, and it happens in the most free countries in the world.

Sure, these things aren’t *ordinarily* seen as wrong, but we’re not living in ordinary times.

But you don't really know if people are breaking the 'rules' or not. You don't know if the little group in the park is a household, you are just assuming they are not.

I'm all for reporting obvious breaches (e.g. House parties) but any pictures i have seen on Social media of people in parks (and subsequent outrage in comments) I haven't actually been able to spot any clear breaches.

This culture of 'window phantoms' and 'keyhole Kates' spying on what other people are doing and working themselves into a tizzy about it is not a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Thought so.

How many times do you go to the shops, butches, etc a week?

You’ve been asked and not answered

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

What do you do about 'vulnerable' people who are currently sharing a house with those who you envisage as going about their normal business?

Move them out, shelter them, these are unprecedented times. We should all stop because a small minority cannot just isolate and watch netflix for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rusty the athlete

I've been clear that if a supermarket will deliver to your home, you are in direct contravention of guidelines.

Ja wohl mein kommandant.

Any comment on your own shopping trips ? How many in say 2 weeks?

I hear the kids from the neighbourhood playing together outside every day. A figure for non-compliance would be near impossible to determine.

Someone on the radio in Wexford today said an awful lot of holiday homes have lit up in the last day or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Blueshoe wrote: »
    I'd sir down 2.1 metres away from you and say hello

But someone might take a picture and with lack of a focus and distance judgement it might look like we are less than 1 metre apart.

Most people couldn't tell what 2 metres is anyway.

But you don't really know if people are breaking the 'rules' or not. You don't know if the little group in the park is a household, you are just assuming they are not.

I'm all for reporting obvious breaches (e.g. House parties) but any pictures i have seen on Social media of people in parks (and subsequent outrage in comments) I haven't actually been able to spot any clear breaches.

This culture of 'window phantoms' and 'keyhole Kates' spying on what other people are doing and working themselves into a tizzy about it is not a good thing.

This is it for me - I think we are doing remarkable , but singular events are turned into a national crisis by social media.

The worst behavior is shoppers - by a long long way..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Idbatterim wrote: »
    look, it can suck for all of us, or it can suck for some of us! I wont be surprised in a few months, if and the **** probably will hit the fan properly, the government are facing huge anger, that they made this crisis, far worse than it needed to be. Time will tell...

In a few months, probably sooner than that, the present government will have been replaced by another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭brickysession

I live in an area where young people tend to congregate when the sun starts shining.

I saw it getting a bit busier during the week. I seriously considered calling the Garda station not on any particular individual, but to come down and patrol the area more generally.

If you think less of me for that (considering I didn’t even follow through and do it) I can live with that, doubt I’ll be losing any sleep.

Just out of curiosity, if you see a 2 or more adults walking in close proximity will you call the Garda Station also? Our younger members of society got singled out a few weeks back but I doubt very few if any of them drove the cars that swarmed the whole country on Mothers day!!

Everyday in my area I see adult men and women alike from different households meeting to go for a walk or run, how do I know this, well because I live in a town where I kind of know most people. This is impossible to police.

We all want out of this as soon as possible and would like to think that people would do the right thing but it seems that not all of adult society can not be trusted to be responsible and adhere to the restrictions. This crisis is bringing out the best and worst in society and I really hope the good keeps outweighing the bad.

Stay safe everyone and try to do the best you can and maybe it will be over sooner rather than later.

But someone might take a picture and with lack of a focus and distance judgement it might look like we are less than 1 metre apart.

Or in a similar vein to the nearly all this thread- they could prob not tell what 2 metres is when they are queuing but they sure as hell could point out how everyone else isn’t 2 metres when driving by

Well, we’re in agreement then for the most part.

Having said that, if you see someone breaking the window of a car or house to get into it, it’s always possible he is the rightful owner and simply forgot his keys and has no other way in - you’d probably report it though if, on balance, you thought it was a thief.

Or in a similar vein to the nearly all this thread- they could prob not tell what 2 metres is when they are queuing but they sure as hell could point out how everyone else isn’t 2 metres when driving by

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,986 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think pubs and clubs will be very slow to reopen. I mean how could the publican impose social distancing, and sure isn't social interraction (along with a few drinks) the whole purpose of going to the pub? Same for cafes and restaurants although they might be able to separate the tables a bit more.

I dunno, it's a grim time we are going through, but so far we are ok and alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Yeah, I think essential should mean essential and I wouldn’t include off licenses in this.

Very easy to pick up your beers and a paper at the supermarket.

It's a licencing issue

If you shut off licences you have to close the drink aisle in supermarkets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    It's a licencing issue

If you shut off licences you have to close the drink aisle in supermarkets

The response almost writes itself......

• Advertisement

Well, we’re in agreement then for the most part.

Having said that, if you see someone breaking the window of a car or house to get into it, it’s always possible he is the rightful owner and simply forgot his keys and has no other way in - you’d probably report it though if, on balance, you thought it was a thief.

How many shopping trips are you doing a week.

Your refusal to answer makes me concerned ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

We are living in unprecedented times, why some people can't or won't follow simple guidelines is mildly frustrating. Unfortunately there is no cure for stupid.

Simple guidelines are the ones I always tend to scrutinise most.

Let the authorities know about those yids Oskar and don't try hiding them like a fool. Move to the back of the bus Rosa where your kind belong you dumb bitch. No it all revolves around planet Earth Nicolaus you absolute amadán.

I don't anybody should ever 'follow' anything. I think they should instead concur on a rationale basis with a suggested approach. Where there is no rationale or a flaw in the rationale, I won't blame people. In fact, I am rather grateful to the outliers all through human history. I'd be swinging through trees in the jungle only for them.

In this war, we have armchair generals who have fighter jets and tanks posted all over off licences, open-air parks, and garden centres while the enemy does blitzkrieg in our hospitals and nursing homes.

Just out of curiosity, if you see a 2 or more adults walking in close proximity will you call the Garda Station also?

Well, in the end I decided not to call them at all. But to answer your question, no I certainly wouldn’t call the Gardai for that.

I’m talking about an area where - in better times - when the weather gets good people come to hang out. There are usually a few skateboarders, maybe someone with a guitar, and lots of international people because there’s a language school nearby.

It’s usually a really good atmosphere, almost like a festival on a really good day. On those days there would often be a couple of Gardai patrolling and I’ve often thought “this area is a real handy number for a Garda to patrol” because there’s rarely any hassle.

Last week, I saw it gradually getting busier and busier and I thought about ringing the station and letting them know they might want to send someone down. It wasn’t the Stasi level stuff people on here are envisioning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Government press conference due at 4pm.

I haven’t answered because it’s irrelevant? And none of your business? What difference does it make to this discussion?

Well, in the end I decided not to call them at all. But to answer your question, no I certainly wouldn’t call the Gardai for that.

I’m talking about an area where - in better times - when the weather gets good people come to hang out. There are usually a few skateboarders, maybe someone with a guitar, and lots of international people because there’s a language school nearby.

It’s usually a really good atmosphere, almost like a festival on a really good day. On those days there would often be a couple of Gardai patrolling and I’ve often thought “this area is a real handy number for a Garda to patrol” because there’s rarely any hassle.

Last week, I saw it gradually getting busier and busier and I thought about ringing the station and letting them know they might want to send someone down. It wasn’t the Stasi level stuff people on here are envisioning.

Were you on the way to the shops again ?

Well if it’s more than one then he’s got a chronic eating disorder and his obesity & probable diabetes are an affront to and a drain on the rest of us

I haven’t answered because it’s irrelevant? And none of your business? What difference does it make to this discussion?

Because you are being very judgmental and dictatorial .

Shopping is the most dangerous activity that Irish people are doing by a long distance. And from your posting, I'm sensing you are shopping too much. I could be wrong ?

In the context of a fair discussion , with everyone sharing their experiences - it is a reasonable question.

Were you on the way to the shops again ?

If this is the level of discussion you’re capable of, I’ll leave you to it. Have a good afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Great craic here by the canal in rathmines, plenty boozing and even a dude playing guitar, happy days

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement