Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭keybordWarrior

Well, theres the plan. Kick the can down the road, make no decisions and point to evidence of others. Cowards.

Stupidest post so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Did Leo mention anything about what will happen after the 5th of May

Nobody knows yet. They are looking for the 48 hour turn around and hope it will happen. Who knows if they get it down before then there could be a relaxation sooner

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

brutes1 wrote: »
    No plan obviously . No proposals. No future

I wonder what the over 70s think, have they been asked or are they just to be treated as antiques locked away ?

I know two over 70s who live near me and have asked them this. While obviously they would prefer not to have the restrictions in place they understand the need for them and have no intention of violating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Did Leo mention anything about what will happen after the 5th of May

No more fluff, absolutely clueless.

polesheep wrote: »
    Three weeks won't hold. Certain elements of the restrictions can me maintained that are within the governments control, such as closing most places of employment, but the breakdown will begin with those people who cause trouble at the best of times and will spread from there. If they had announced two weeks they might have got away with it, but three more weeks won't wash. One to two weeks and asking people to double down would have been better.

Don't believe you're right. Also realistically don't want loads going out for a bank holiday weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

im supprised at 3 weeks. desperately needed but a lot harder to accept than 2 weeks and then another week .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

I'd say your the life and soul at parties. BYOB of course.

Ah the standard Irish response to anyone who doesn't really give a sh1te about alcohol.
    How long did it take you to think that one up?

Indeed I'm not at all the life and soul of a party I'm sure you'll be glad to know. But then I don't place any value on being so being a quiet introvert, and my fiancé and friends love me for who I am. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,517 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Listening to Tony Holohan, the restrictions will not be lifted until the testing turnaround times are brought down to less than 24 hours to aid contact tracing and real time reporting.

There is a long way to go yet considering people are currently waiting up to 10 days for test results.

I have been one of the doom & gloom merchants from the outset of the situation in China, I saw all this coming, wasn’t popular among people I know for my forecast. However, I do see light at the end of the tunnel. I believe that readily available and reliable antibody tests are going to be one major key to our freedom. Watching a documentary program I recorded last night, I can see development of this test is being speeded along, and one morning we will wake up to the news of its availability. It’s administration is likely to be under plan already, so as soon as it’s announced it will be likely less than two weeks before we can access it. Would likely be initially offered to those in frontline, then to those who had previously experienced symptoms, followed by others. Those who test antibody positive and totally clear of symptoms for over two weeks are likely to be allowed full freedoms by wearing a badge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,214 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Greentopia wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't care if they all closed and never re-opened, but downside is of course people would lose their jobs.

And one of the few outlets people have left would be gone, your pious, ivory tower arrogance is disgusting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

I have been one of the doom & gloom merchants from the outset of the situation in China, I saw all this coming, wasn’t popular among people I know for my forecast. However, I do see light at the end of the tunnel. I believe that readily available and reliable antibody tests are going to be one major key to our freedom. Watching a documentary program I recorded last night, I can see development of this test is being speeded along, and one morning we will wake up to the news of its availability. It’s administration is likely to be under plan already, so as soon as it’s announced it will be likely less than two weeks before we can access it. Would likely be initially offered to those in frontline, then to those who had previously experienced symptoms, followed by others. Those who test antibody positive and totally clear of symptoms for over two weeks are likely to be allowed full freedoms by wearing a badge.

I hear you'll have to wear a star on your arm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭Pretzill

3 more weeks will be tough particularly for those cocooning (not all over 70) and for those of us whose jobs may have been terminally affected.

I do see some light at the end of the tunnel though and hope that will be true in three weeks time. Maybe this thread could be closed until then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,214 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

im supprised at 3 weeks. desperately needed but a lot harder to accept than 2 weeks and then another week .

They cant let people get ideas about May bank holiday like they did with easter, its the only option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

VinLieger wrote: »
    They cant let people get ideas about May bank holiday like they did with easter, its the only option

that's true I suppose. but the people stupid enough to go galivanting around like that are not going to respect these restricions anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭JoeCole26

Listening to Tony Holohan, the restrictions will not be lifted until the testing turnaround times are brought down to less than 24 hours to aid contact tracing and real time reporting.

There is a long way to go yet considering people are currently waiting up to 10 days for test results.

Surely we are way past the stage of contact tracing when we are getting into the multiple hundreds of reported cases a day? How is it even possible to contact all people who may have come into contact with someone who has tested positive here. It's obvious what is going on - Delay delay delay as long as possible until somehow we can build up health supplies and manage the number of ICU bed etc. But the problem is we will never be at a stage where we will be able to cope with demand nor can we cope with the dragged out process.

Only solution imo is to do 2/3 weeks of isolation, 2/3 weeks of soft openings for most shops and repeat the cycle. Over 70s must cocoon until the end of June.

Seems to me the Government have no long term strategy here. Constantly saying "it's changing everyday, it's unprecedented etc." is not helping the fact they should have a clear 3/6/12month plan loosely outlined already. That's what I would be focusing on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

Minister McHugh should have a translator.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

I really dislike this trait we have developed in the last week of spying and telling on people because of assumptions not facts.
    Especially for things that ordinarily are not seen as wrong.

It's not healthy for the people spying and definitely not healthy for society as a whole.

I wouldn't say spying is a good thing, but there's some evidence to show that applying social pressures to conform can have a beneficial effect in society if it's done for the overall betterment of that society. I could point to one or two countries in Europe where it's the norm and has resulted in well organised, clean and efficient countries.

It's a big reason why Sweden didn't have to clamp down hard on restrictions for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Pretzill wrote: »
    3 more weeks will be tough particularly for those cocooning (not all over 70) and for those of us whose jobs may have been terminally affected.

I do see some light at the end of the tunnel though and hope that will be true in three weeks time. Maybe this thread could be closed until then?

What light?

From March 12th to 28th is 16 days

Now 28th to 5th of May 39 days of further restrictions

No real plan for 5th of May

We're doing really well but well enough

Rinse and repeat before the 5th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Was there any change in shopping restrictions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Don't believe you're right. Also realistically don't want loads going out for a bank holiday weekend.

What about the June bank holiday? The August bank holiday? The October bank holiday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Cyrus wrote: »
    the restrictions will start to be lifted, if not on Sunday, then the following weekend,

itll be a gradual thing and we may end up taking one step forward and two back at points but rest assured thats what will happen,

This hasn't aged well...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,697 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

brutes1 wrote: »
    No plan obviously . No proposals. No future

I wonder what the over 70s think, have they been asked or are they just to be treated as antiques locked away ?

This lockdown is primaily been extended to benefit the over 70's , since it is the elderly who are most at risk - what are you suggesting let the elderly carry on as normal , while the less at risk majority are forced to endure a lockdown and economic misery , and let casualty count soar - seriously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

No further restrictions just an expansion to the 5th of May

Three extra weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Allinall

YFlyer wrote: »

I don’t think there were any changes to the restrictions.

However, I get the impression they will be enforced more strictly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭Pretzill

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    What light?

I meant in relation to our health service getting through the pandemic - without everything going to sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I have been one of the doom & gloom merchants from the outset of the situation in China, I saw all this coming, wasn’t popular among people I know for my forecast. However, I do see light at the end of the tunnel. I believe that readily available and reliable antibody tests are going to be one major key to our freedom..

Were't those Antibody tests supposed to be ineffective?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/05/coronavirus-testing-kits-could-be-unreliable-uk-scientists-say

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I think you are being wildly optimistic as to a reliable and fast antibody test being widely available anytime soon

In what timeframe do you anticipate this?

YFlyer wrote: »

No, not that I comprehended.

Stheno wrote: »
    I think you are being wildly optimistic as to a reliable and fast antibody test being widely available anytime soon

In what timeframe do you anticipate this?

If I gave my scientific secrets away i’d have to kill you :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

polesheep wrote: »
    What about the June bank holiday? The August bank holiday? The October bank holiday?

Yeah if the june bank holiday is brought up as a reason for the next delay..

The government filled me with no confidence whatsoever there. What is the actual plan? Delay? Eradicate? Varadkar said there's a worry if they lift it too soon the virus will spread again. Sorry, the virus will spread again no matter when they lift this. So there has to be a full reasoning behind delaying this (hospital capacity presumably) but they haven't given the public any information on targets or how that would be measured.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement