Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Another 21 days of restrictions

Apparently they are working on a plan

Not convincing in that regard

LOOOOOOOLLLL! the irish government working on a plan, they will start commissioning several reports, that will never be used! thats their plan. Oh sorry, that is a bit harsh!

They will be sat with their fingers crossed, hoping by some mirable, a vaccine is found very soon. If there is one thing we know, its that the politicians here are absolute spoofers, with no vision or plan.

They are in a lose / lose situation in a way. By doing what they are doing, they are goind to be accused in a few weeks / months of damaging the economy and you could make an argument, society, far more than was necessary... If they didnt run health like a **** show, which they got destroyed for at election, we would have more ICU beds and medical staff etc. They have reaped what they have sowed in their own way!

you'd wonder, was the middle ground, to simply go back to the previous restrictions...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

thebaz wrote: »
    This lockdown is primaily been extended to benefit the over 70's , since it is the elderly who are most at risk - what are you suggesting let the elderly carry on as normal , while the less at risk majority are forced to endure a lockdown and economic misery , and let casualty count soar - seriously

Both my parents are in their 70’s. Both have heart conditions. Even so they are as fit and as active as me. But if this lockdown was lifted i know it would wipe them out that simple. That’s the type of carnage we could be faced with.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

What could be the downside to announcing the continuation of the current restrictions for another 2 weeks, followed by a review? Even if they know it's going to be continued again it would soften the blow and possibly help with compliance. I intend to keep sticking with the restrictions as I have been, but I'd be lying if there wasn't a part of me that said to hell with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

VinLieger wrote: »
    And one of the few outlets people have left would be gone, your pious, ivory tower arrogance is disgusting

:D

Muh beeeeeeerrrr!!!!

Give it a rest. I gave my honest opinion. I'm not telling people not to go to offies, I'm not calling on them to close. Even though I have a right to state whatever opinions I like about it. Don't like what I have to say? move on.

It's always amusing to state an opinion about alcohol that runs counter to the accepted popular narrative in this country and see the ones whose lives are so narrow and impoverished that living for the weekend in the pubs or getting wasted with the slabs o beer is all they live for, and start frothing at the mouth at the mention of tighter controls on alcohol. Sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

AdamD wrote: »
    So there has to be a full reasoning behind delaying this (hospital capacity presumably) but they haven't given the public any information on targets or how that would be measured.

I would imagine that it's until the development of a system of far more rapid contact tracing testing and results and also devising an effective treatment strategy to reduce the mortality rate of it by some degree.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

YFlyer wrote: »
    Was there any change in shopping restrictions?

No change in any of the restrictions other than to continue until at least 5th May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,697 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Tenzor07 wrote: »

The anti-body testing system will be available in US in 2 weeks , should be a reliable one which it needs to be , given issues with Chinese PPE do not think I would rely on ther anti-body test - needs to be very accurate as , they will be used initially by healthcare workers, giveng them a green light to work with infected patients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Wouldn’t an antibody test that enabled me to “wear an immune badge of honour” not just incentivize people to get infected ASAP lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

nj27 wrote: »
    What could be the downside to announcing the continuation of the current restrictions for another 2 weeks, followed by a review? Even if they know it's going to be continued again it would soften the blow and possibly help with compliance. I intend to keep sticking with the restrictions as I have been, but I'd be lying if there wasn't a part of me that said to hell with it.

They would lose what little trust they have and a lot of good will if they started taking people for fools like you suggest , even if that is not your intention

Tenzor07 wrote: »

They are only in development. It’s ongoing. Lots of these types of tests have been developed to be reliable in the past, this is on fast-track. I was most encouraged by the Horizon Special, it showed how the test is being developed, and how they are to make it reliable. It’s nicely in progress and nothing like it will ever have had as much investment as this. Multiple people in multiple locations are doing this, testing, testing, testing as we eat, breathe and sleep. We must be optimistic about this just as there was just cause for our pessimism that this crisis would evolve to where it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,697 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Both my parents are in their 70’s. Both have heart conditions. Even so they are as fit and as active as me. But if this lockdown was lifted i know it would wipe them out that simple. That’s the type of carnage we could be faced with.

That was point, I find it annoying people compianing about Cocooning for the elderly, when it is ther to benefit them , don't get it - its tough on everyone young and old and we all have elderly relatives, as well as young ones who are suffering a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

They have duped the people by reducing this to two options: Lockdown or your loved ones die. Naturally we would all choose for our loved ones to live. What they haven't done is tell the people what other options there are. We are being led like donkeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Yeah if the june bank holiday is brought up as a reason for the next delay..

The government filled me with no confidence whatsoever there. What is the actual plan? Delay? Eradicate? Varadkar said there's a worry if they lift it too soon the virus will spread again. Sorry, the virus will spread again no matter when they lift this. So there has to be a full reasoning behind delaying this (hospital capacity presumably) but they haven't given the public any information on targets or how that would be measured.

They have none. They are terrified about being branded as murderers by social-media morons - avoiding this seems to be the extent of the 'plan'.

They are more concerned with their own political reputations than by actually leading and making tough decisions - there will be a price to be paid for all this..

youd wonder how long this will told, I mean most people have zero respect for Fg and FF. Three weeks? FFS!

I can see it now, PO'D , Varadkar and a few others sat in a room, working this all out, Varadkar with his head in his phone , seeing how many Gram followers he has, PO'D asking if there is anything to be said, for another mass. Another minister proposing a report...

They have none. They are terrified about being branded as murderers by social-media morons - avoiding this seems to be the extent of the 'plan'.

They are more concerned with their own political reputations than by actually leading and making tough decisions - there will be a price to be paid for all this..

I love the predicatibility of it all and I can link back to god knows how many pages back, they will always take, what they perceive to be the easiest route out. They think it is now, yeah just wait. This is still semi novel and we are at the table enjoying the lovely meal, but this bill will arrive soon!

This bull**** is exactly what I had feared and I expressed those fears, several days ago on this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Sean 18

5th of may announcement will be till after the June bank holiday then after June the August bank holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Nermal

What is the actual plan?

The plan is to shut down the country, at the cost of billions, in order to get us down to a manageable level of cases (though we won't tell you what that is, or how long it will take).

Then, we'll try to make sure everyone with the virus infects less than one other person.

Even though half the people who have it, don't know they have it.

And when you test people, 30% of the time when people have it, your test says they don't.

Oh and by the way, if restrictions are lifted enough for you to have a semblance of a normal life, it's actually infectious enough that you'll give it to more than five other people.

We're still working on the Powerpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Micky 32 wrote: »

Yeah yeah but im ENTITLED to go to the beach or have a barbecue, it's sunny out ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Sean 18 wrote: »
    5th of may announcement will be till after the June bank holiday then after June the August bank holiday

Absolutely and it more than likely will be needed if people don't follow instructions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Not a hope of it. Wuhan is back in business and other some European countries are starting to loosen restrictions.

3 short weeks will pass and the position will be reassessed with a likely loosening of the restrictions.

By the looks of it some people were struggling after 2 weeks so hopefully they can continue to hold firm for another 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Wuhan is back in business

Yeah...but it's been going on there since December (maybe earlier). It's now April. Do you expect 3 months of lockdown/restrictions?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Wouldn’t an antibody test that enabled me to “wear an immune badge of honour” not just incentivize people to get infected ASAP lol.

Well that desire indeed could happen among the normally fit and healthy. However any infection can kill anybody if you are unlucky. There would have to be measures to counter this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

After 3 weeks the virus will still be in the community like every other virus. We will have to co exist with and people are going to get it and die from it.

PP wouldn't gave them favourable odds of compilance after the May bank holiday. Chances will have to be taken for the greater good.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Sean 18

Not a hope of it. Wuhan is back in business and other some European countries are starting to loosen restrictions.

3 short weeks will pass and the position will be reassessed with a likely loosening of the restrictions.

By the looks of it some people were struggling after 2 weeks so hopefully they can continue to hold firm for another 3.

But the problem is when the lockdown is over foreign travel could start it all up again

Penfailed wrote: »
    Yeah...but it's been going on there since December (maybe earlier). It's now April. Do you expect 3 months of lockdown/restrictions?

We had the benifit of knowing what was coming and acted quickly enough while China had to act on their feet.

Don't forget one of the main reasons the whole region was locked down for so long was to stop the virus spreading throughout China. They isolated the area.

Completely different situations

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

The European countries that are loosening their restrictions may very soon tighten up on them again if there is a large spike in deaths and ICU admissions.

But the problem is when the lockdown is over foreign travel could start it all up again

Temporarily ban foreign travel. Problem solution

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Absolutely and it more than likely will be needed if people don't follow instructions.

I think that people will follow instructions for another three weeks. But there is zero chance of any substantial level or compliance after that if there is not some relaxation of restrictions and a clear picture of what ‘normal’ looks like for the rest of the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

thebaz wrote: »
    The anti-body testing system will be available in US in 2 weeks , should be a reliable one which it needs to be , given issues with Chinese PPE do not think I would rely on ther anti-body test - needs to be very accurate as , they will be used initially by healthcare workers, giveng them a green light to work with infected patients.

Have you got a link to that? Cos from everything I've seen there's not enough antibodies left in peoples blood to make these tests reliable..

Also if it is the case that there's a miracle antibody detection test, I can imagine a lot of people going out to get infected so once recovered can claim immunity and are able to go on without restriction.

• Advertisement

The European countries that are loosening their restrictions may very soon tighten up on them again if there is a large spike in deaths and ICU admissions.

They might yeah or they might not.

Are you watching the daily updates from the Austrian government and learned about their particular situation?

I doubt they are doing it on a guess. Sure who knows let's see

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement