Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

I think that people will follow instructions for another three weeks. But there is zero chance of any substantial level or compliance after that if there is not some relaxation of restrictions and a clear picture of what ‘normal’ looks like for the rest of the year

Why would there be 0 chance after 3 weeks? its the people themselves that benifit from it??? i dont get that mentality at all.

It should be done for as long as it takes to get rid of it or control it, and in the long run we will be better off for a small bit of suffering now, half arseing the effort cause people cba will just keep us in it longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The European countries that are loosening their restrictions may very soon tighten up on them again if there is a large spike in deaths and ICU admissions.

They won't tighten them again. Once the lockdown is lifted it's gone. Too much damage if you open and lock repeatedly, both socially and economically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Yeah yeah but im ENTITLED to go to the beach or have a barbecue, it's sunny out ffs.
    Maybe but bang goes the kids entitlement to a post Leaving Cert holiday to Corfu.
    Altogether now "its not fair"

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Have you got a link to that? Cos from everything I've seen there's not enough antibodies left in peoples blood to make these tests reliable..

Also if it is the case that there's a miracle antibody detection test, I can imagine a lot of people going out to get infected so once recovered can claim immunity and are able to go on without restriction.

I know plenty in my family who will actively go out and try to contract this if antibody tests work and you can get some kind of ‘certificate’ to allow normal life to resume. We have actually talked about that prospect

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

AdamD wrote: »
    Yeah if the june bank holiday is brought up as a reason for the next delay..

The government filled me with no confidence whatsoever there. What is the actual plan? Delay? Eradicate? Varadkar said there's a worry if they lift it too soon the virus will spread again. Sorry, the virus will spread again no matter when they lift this. So there has to be a full reasoning behind delaying this (hospital capacity presumably) but they haven't given the public any information on targets or how that would be measured.

"We haven't got the organisational skills, planning or initiative to do proper contact tracing, testing, temperature checks and quarantine at airports, or ability to manufacture or obtain enough masks for everyone to allow the kind of gradual re-opening and return to normality other countries in Europe are doing or planning right now, so we're just going to extend and see what happens in the UK then follow them like lemmings".

Basically.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

They have none. They are terrified about being branded as murderers by social-media morons - avoiding this seems to be the extent of the 'plan'.

They are more concerned with their own political reputations than by actually leading and making tough decisions - there will be a price to be paid for all this..

We're just going to have to learn to accept our standard of living is going to be decimated for a while.

No four/five holiday trips abroad every year. No takeouts every two nights because we are too lazy to cook. No new iPhones every year. No new cars every year or so "bought" on the never-never of lease-back. No more blowing €100 on a night out.

Pensions are going to be hit badly. Mortgages will have to be shifted to multi-generational ones.

But we will survive and rebuild. We did it after WW1 and Spanish flu. And after WW2.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

Until may 5 and no exit plan
    I don’t care what people say on here - our political leaders will destroy this country

We will exit this with minimum deaths and an economy in the grave and it will be 100% the fault of every elected member of the dail

Spineless

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I think that people will follow instructions for another three weeks. But there is zero chance of any substantial level or compliance after that if there is not some relaxation of restrictions and a clear picture of what ‘normal’ looks like for the rest of the year

I think quiet a few will break the restrictions now, there is no plan in place. A lot of people will have lost confidence after today and I dont blame them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

So disappointing to have Simon Harris not being truthful. He stated on TV AM that the Garda powers were only given reluctantly & that the Cabinet really didn't want to allow them & only did so for the Easter weekend.

Now they instantly forget that & extend the powers for another three weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Edgware wrote: »
    Maybe but bang goes the kids entitlement to a post Leaving Cert holiday to Corfu.

Teachers are the real winners in all of this. Full whack for 5 months work (with little breaks in-between Christmas, Halloween etc)

Anyway that's a different story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Idbatterim wrote: »
    LOOOOOOOLLLL! the irish government working on a plan.

I bet it's not a cunning plan. Or even yanno... a plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

They won't tighten them again. Once the lockdown is lifted it's gone. Too much damage if you open and lock repeatedly, both socially and economically.

They will tighten them when cases explode again and their hospitals get overcome, that's the plan. Open and close until the vaccine/cure

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Cupatae wrote: »
    Why would there be 0 chance after 3 weeks? its the people themselves that benifit from it??? i dont get that mentality at all.

It should be done for as long as it takes to get rid of it or control it, and in the long run we will be better off for a small bit of suffering now, half arseing the effort cause people cba will just keep us in it longer.

Yes but the vast majority will not benefit from it, we are doing it to protect the few, which is the right thing to do but for how long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Cupatae wrote: »

The income supports are in for 12 weeks. They had this lockdown factored in but it was too much to announce in one go.
    I could see a relaxation of lockdown that might allow some small businesses start up but under strict control.
    Taoiseach Micheal Martin will probably announce that early in May.

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Teachers are the real winners in all of this. Full whack for 5 months work (with little breaks in-between Christmas, Halloween etc)

Surely there is already a teacher basing thread for you to post that jibe in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Edgware wrote: »

"Tis the gubberments fault"

BanditLuke wrote: »
    They will tighten them when cases explode again and their hospitals get overcome, that's the plan. Open and close until the vaccine/cure

Wouldn't happen, people won't accept another lockdown. The vulnerable will be expected to cocoon themselve. Rest of society carries on with day to living.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Sean 18 wrote: »
    But the problem is when the lockdown is over foreign travel could start it all up again

100% correct it only takes one case to start the whole process again. The only way is complete lockdown until a vaccine is found in around 12 months time.

We can’t stay going like this until then as there will be nothing left if they do.

This whole lockdown is turning in a farce. If our government and advisory committee had opened their eyes in time and protected our nursing homes from the mess they are in now. We’d have lost less than half the number we have to date.

For god sake only last week they stopped agency care workers from attending numerous nursing homes in the same day/week.

Why can’t they think outside the box for once and try to preempt things instead of closing the door when the horse is long gone down the road.

Easy to sort out foreign travel, no one without an immunity cert allowed in or out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,697 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Have you got a link to that? Cos from everything I've seen there's not enough antibodies left in peoples blood to make these tests reliable..

Also if it is the case that there's a miracle antibody detection test, I can imagine a lot of people going out to get infected so once recovered can claim immunity and are able to go on without restriction.

Dr Fauci :-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O2emFh8WIc

ps I cant see many people going out to delibertly get the virus, bluntly be a bit stupid to do, and I'm not one of the extremly terrified by it all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Nollog

I don’t care what people say on here - our political leaders will destroy this country

We will exit this with minimum deaths and an economy in the grave and it will be 100% the fault of every elected member of the dail

Spineless

And we were told Fine Gael were the economy masters.

Surely there is already a teacher basing thread for you to post that jibe in?

Hardly bashing when it's true. Schools are closed. They have been for some time now. They won't open again. The time is never made back up. Unions won't allow it. 7 months off at full pay. Goodnight Irene

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Hardly bashing when it's true. Schools are closed. They have been for some time now. They won't open again. The time is never made back up. Unions won't allow it. 7 months off at full pay. Goodnight Irene

Second teacher bashing post. Are you just on a wind up or have you anything constructive to add?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Discodog wrote: »
    So disappointing to have Simon Harris not being truthful. He stated on TV AM that the Garda powers were only given reluctantly & that the Cabinet really didn't want to allow them & only did so for the Easter weekend.

I think it was always the plan for the Gardaí to have their powers extended for at least another month and probably much longer. The Easter weekend announcement was only made to give the public time to get gradually accustomed to the new situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,877 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So 3 more weeks.

I've been at this since the week before paddy's day and I have no symptoms, can work from home and have managed shopping etc just fine.

But I'm not at home and leaving my own place empty for another few weeks is a concern. I am thinking of getting work to adjust the address on the cover letter they issued to all staff and go and check on things soon. I can remote onto my plex server and all is working so I haven't been robbed - yet - but the chances increase the longer this goes on I reckon.

Of course, if I go there's the chance of not getting back which would be a problem too.

Extremely frustrating considering the actual risk involved in the return trip is zero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Discodog wrote: »

He was crystal clear that he was prepared to extend them.
    Anyone who had the idea that those powers were only for a few days was lying to themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,697 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

For those wanting restrictions on the elderly cocooning to be lifted :-

The death toll rose by 28 to 263 with the deceased yesterday having a median age of 84 years of age.

Second teacher bashing post. Are you just on a wind up or have you anything constructive to add?

Stop replying then.

"Have you something constructive to add" Who are you?
    You haven't posted a constructive view all day. You are spending your time telling people that their opinions are wrong.
    Muted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

thebaz wrote: »
    Dr Fauci :-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O2emFh8WIc

ps I cant see many people going out to delibertly get the virus, bluntly be a bit stupid to do, and I'm not one of the extremly terrified by it all

As a cousin of mine said who recently got it. With all the symptoms he had put together he literary had nothing left, thankfully he recovered. Had an awful dose. I think i’ll be doing the cowards way, hiding from it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Spineless

What would you rather? More deaths and a booming economy? The world is going to enter a recession regardless of what Leo and the lads do.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement