Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,877 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

thebaz wrote: »
    For those wanting restrictions on the elderly cocooning to be lifted :-

The death toll rose by 28 to 263 with the deceased yesterday having a median age of 84 years of age.

So how about the elderly continue to cocoon and the rest have restrictions lifted somewhat then?

Seems a reasonable compromise at this point. Keeping everyone locked up regardless of circumstance or health status is wearing very thin

The death toll rose by 28 to 263 with the deceased yesterday having a median age of 84 years of age.

Who wants that? Restrictions should be gradually relaxed from 5 May for everyone but the elderly and at risk. We need to get the economy going again, while making sure that the ICU isnt overwhelmed. It will be tough on the elderly, if they have to cocoon until there is a vaccine, but it is the only way to move on from this without burning down the whole economy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Hardly bashing when it's true. Schools are closed. They have been for some time now. They won't open again. The time is never made back up. Unions won't allow it. 7 months off at full pay. Goodnight Irene

The teachers aren't off. Some of them are providing classes over video conferencing: some are setting and correcting assignments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,697 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    So the elderly continue to cocoon and the rest have restrictions lifted somewhat then?

Seems a reasonable compromise at this point. Keeping everyone locked up regardless of circumstance or health status is wearing very thin

The rest are not having restrictions lifted - we are all in lockdown for 3 weeks -
    Look at the data , the people that this virus is killing is the elderly (average age 84), so keep them cocooned is the correct call - everyone is suffering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,747 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Baz - what does median age mean?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Phoebas wrote: »
    The teachers aren't off. Some of them are providing classes over video conferencing: some are setting and correcting assignments.

Stop, don't ruin it for him .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Ace2007 wrote: »

Half are above that age and half are below that age.
    Whereas the mean (or average) age would be all the ages added together and divided by the number of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,877 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The rest are not having restrictions lifted - we are all in lockdown for 3 weeks -
    Look at the data , the people that this virus is killing is the elderly (average age 84), so keep them cocooned is the correct call - everyone is suffering

Top paragraph was a suggested alternative :)

We can't just keep everyone locked in indefinitely. We need to protect those who are vulnerable through isolation but the rest of us need to be able to get back to work and everything else the economy depends on

its been answered better by many , but simply - average age

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Top paragraph was a suggested alternative :)

We can't just keep everyone locked in indefinitely. We need to protect those who are vulnerable through isolation but the rest of us need to be able to get back to work and everything else the economy depends on

agree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Not the average age. See my post above.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Easy to sort out foreign travel, no one without an immunity cert allowed in or out.

You are in fairyland "Immunity cert" :pac::pac::D Also people will accept a 2nd lock down when they start dying en mass and hospitals start buckling under the pressure... they wont have any choice but to..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Penfailed

This \/\/\/

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

KaneToad wrote: »
    Half are above that age and half are below that age.
    Whereas the mean (or average) age would be all the ages added together and divided by the number of people.

I know what it means, but from Baz answer it's clear that he doesn't.

it is an average , not getting into a statistal debate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

14, 25, 41, 65, 87, 100

I add 41 to 65 then divide by 2 - here, 106/2 = 53.

53 is your median.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,822 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

No. It isn't.

Median is the middle number in a range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Cupatae wrote: »
    You are in fairyland "Immunity cert" :pac::pac::D Also people will accept a 2nd lock down when they start dying en mass and hospitals start buckling under the pressure... they wont have any choice but to..

Better tell the Australian government that's their plan to get back to 'normal' that's it fairytale stuff so.
    Won't be a second lockdown, the vulnerable will be expected to cocoon, young people won't accept putting their lives on indefinite hold for older people they have no connection with.

it is an average , not getting into a statistal debate

But you can't say that the average age of those dying is 84, when that's not what is reported

I know what it means, but from Baz answer it's clear that he doesn't.

oh, sorry for politly trying to ansewr your question , should have ****ing ignored

The original quoute (below) I put in was lifted from the Indo

• Advertisement

oh, sorry for politly trying to ansewr your question , should have ****ing ignored

Yes but you going round saying it's the elderly that's dying, but you don't know that - you are assuming that

Yes but you going round saying it's the elderly that's dying, but you don't know that - you are assuming that

well if the median age those dying is 84 , it is primarily fatal for the elderly , no ???

ps I realise it is not just the elderly , it is very fatal for adults who are immuno-suppressed or those with certain undelying health conditions which can be any age,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Which makes them all quite elderly. ?. Outliers however might be as young as toddlers with a few centenarians thrown in. The median is judged on the middle of a range of numbers. Who's the oldest ? Who's the youngest ? That's be equally uninformative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭flashforward

Surely there is already a teacher basing thread for you to post that jibe in?

Where is this thread you speak of??
    I'd love to get in on the action

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,822 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Better tell the Australian government that's their plan to get back to 'normal' that's it fairytale stuff so.
    Won't be a second lockdown, the vulnerable will be expected to cocoon, young people won't accept putting their lives on indefinite hold for older people they have no connection with.

I can think of at least 2 older people every young person has quite a strong connection with.
    Possibly 4 for many.

Not to mention the compassion and empathy they have for other members of society aside from just being directly connected with them.

Which makes them all quite elderly. You start getting teenagers dying and that median will shrink fast. Outliers might be in their late nineties and a few in their sixties.

Ok I will do a very simple example, .

14, 14, 16, 80, 94, 98, 100

the median above is 80

the median below is 80

77,78,79, 80, 94, 98,100

The median age doesn't change you see for teenagers dying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I know plenty in my family who will actively go out and try to contract this if antibody tests work and you can get some kind of ‘certificate’ to allow normal life to resume. We have actually talked about that prospect

Good Jesus

Which makes them all quite elderly. ?. Outliers however might be as young as toddlers with a few centenarians thrown in. The median is judged on the middle of a range of numbers. Who's the oldest ? Who's the youngest ? That's be equally uninformative.

it seams to be very rare that fatalities occur under 20 , from what I have read, does happen but very rare (thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Tandey

Phoebas wrote: »

Primary school teachers most certainly are off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Why is median used instead of average and has an actual figure been given for average age of deaths.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement