Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭BrianD3

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    So 3 more weeks.

I've been at this since the week before paddy's day and I have no symptoms, can work from home and have managed shopping etc just fine.

But I'm not at home and leaving my own place empty for another few weeks is a concern. I am thinking of getting work to adjust the address on the cover letter they issued to all staff and go and check on things soon. I can remote onto my plex server and all is working so I haven't been robbed - yet - but the chances increase the longer this goes on I reckon.

Of course, if I go there's the chance of not getting back which would be a problem too.

Extremely frustrating considering the actual risk involved in the return trip is zero
    I'm in a similar situation. Haven't been robbed as far as I'm aware but who knows what's happening. Grass not cut at all this year either. The only risk associated with me checking on my property would be if my car broke down en route and I had to interact with a tow truck driver.

There is a clause in the regs that allows you to travel if you have a "reasonable excuse" (this is separate to defined essential travel) but it is not clear what a reasonable excuse would be. And not much point asking in this forum given the number of unreasonable people here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Ok I will do a very simple example, .

14, 14, 16, 80, 94, 98, 100

the median above is 80

the median below is 80

77,78,79, 80, 94, 98,100

The median age doesn't change you see for teenagers dying

I get you. I corrected the OP. I think the point all three of us are proving is we have no idea how young the people can be. It would be helpful for the idiots tossing bangers across the road from me right now. If they knew that teenagers are not immune.

Your first range would terrify them. The second would result in "Meh".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I can think of at least 2 older people every young person has quite a strong connection with.
    Possibly 4 for many.

Not to mention the compassion and empathy they have for other members of society aside from just being directly connected with them.

I asked you four times yesterday to refrain from commenting to me can you please respect my request.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Better tell the Australian government that's their plan to get back to 'normal' that's it fairytale stuff so.
    Won't be a second lockdown, the vulnerable will be expected to cocoon, young people won't accept putting their lives on indefinite hold for older people they have no connection with.

Dont speak for all young people, because i certainly would put up with more lockdown if it meant saving people at risk, and id be fairly certain most people i know would do the same, i dunno what breed of people you know..

Lets see how it goes for them before preaching that it will work 100%, as of right now "immunity stickers" are a fairytale.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Tandey wrote: »
    Primary school teachers most certainly are off.

They would have been off this week and next for the Easter holidays anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,747 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

I get you. I corrected the OP. I think the point all three of us are proving is we have no idea how young the people can be. It would be helpful for the idiots tossing bangers across the road from me right now. If they knew that teenagers are not immune.

Your first range would terrify them. The second would result in "Meh".

Exactly my point - sick read posts that it's only the very elderly that are dying, when in fact we actually have no idea - we only know that 50% of those dying are over a certain age, and hence could be classified as elderly, - the other 50%, could be folk in their 60's, or 30's - or mixture.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I asked you four times yesterday to refrain from commenting to me can you please respect my request.

Can you just not put this particular poster on ignore?

Cupatae wrote: »
    Dont speak for all young people, because i certainly would put up with more lockdown if it meant saving people at risk, and id be fairly certain most people i know would do the same, i dunno what breed of people you know..

Lets see how it goes for them before preaching that it will work 100%, as of right now "immunity stickers" are a fairytale.

'breed of people'? There are no spearate breed or species of people just those that have a different outlook on life to you.

Can you just not put this particular poster on ignore?

Unfortunately I can't, ignore doesn't work for me on the touch site.

Better tell the Australian government that's their plan to get back to 'normal' that's it fairytale stuff so.
    Won't be a second lockdown, the vulnerable will be expected to cocoon, young people won't accept putting their lives on indefinite hold for older people they have no connection with.

Got a link to that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Primary school teachers most certainly are off.

They're on the scheduled Easter break right now, along with their students, but otherwise they are working from home the same as many of the rest of us.

I'm all in favour of a bit of teacher bashing, buts let's have a little bit of a basis for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Tandey

Phoebas wrote: »
    They're on the scheduled Easter break right now, along with their students, but otherwise they are working from home the same as many of the rest of us.

I'm all in favour of a bit of teacher bashing, buts let's have a little bit of a basis for it.

What work are all of the primary school teachers doing at home and what is your source?

Kids that I know that are in primary schools haven’t had any correspondence from their teachers since they were forced to stay at home. Thats a basis.

I’m not teacher bashing I’m giving factual information.

So from reading that article, it's not the Australian government that is supporting the idea, instead it's some health experts.... doesn't exactly show you in good light - you read one thing, and then take a completely different meaning and then post in online.
    While the Australian Government isn't actively pursuing the idea, some health experts have thrown their support behind it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

What work are all of the primary school teachers doing at home and what is your source?

Kids that I know that are in primary schools haven’t had any correspondence from their teachers since they were forced to stay at home. Thats a basis.

I've a girl in junior infants, she gets worked emailed each week and other stuff arts/crafts etc maybe every second week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Love how George Lee is discounting the original restrictions as if that time didn't count

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Are all those kids in the one school?
    I know quite a few teachers who are in correspondence with their classes and providing some good home activities for primary level.

Every school is different I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,821 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This is a public discussion forum. You want to put content on it, expect it to be commented upon/discussed.

So from reading that article, it's not the Australian government that is supporting the idea, instead it's some health experts.... doesn't exactly show you in good light - you read one thing, and they a completely different meaning and then post in online.

So you are happy with one group of health experts ( Irish) but not with another( Australian). Do you think I care whether you perceive me in a good light or not. We are not required to submit our comments for peer review before we post here .
    Feel free to search outside this site for claims you see made .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

KaneToad wrote: »
    Not the average age. See my post above.

It is one of the average ages.

Mean, median and mode are all averages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,877 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

BrianD3 wrote: »
    I'm in a similar situation. Haven't been robbed as far as I'm aware but who knows what's happening. Grass not cut at all this year either. The only risk associated with me checking on my property would be if my car broke down en route and I had to interact with a tow truck driver.

There is a clause in the regs that allows you to travel if you have a "reasonable excuse" (this is separate to defined essential travel) but it is not clear what a reasonable excuse would be. And not much point asking in this forum given the number of unreasonable people here.

I might ring the local garda station later and get their take on it, seeing as they're the ones enforcing the restrictions

Getting home is probably fine as I'd be told to go get there anyway. The problem is I'm sequestered here to support immediate family who wouldn't have any other way of getting around easily (hence why I've been doing it) under the circumstances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Sorry for posting a Gemma O'D tweet but this has actually been going on in Sheriff St the last few days, my partner's flat looks onto that street from the IFSC and was sending me videos too from her balcony. People in the rougher spots don't seem to be adhering to the rules at all, which would be fine if it didn't potentially affect the rest of us.

https://twitter.com/gemmaod1/status/1248214951174516736

'breed of people'? There are no spearate breed or species of people just those that have a different outlook on life to you.

Yeah i dont think highly of people that would put elderly people at risk and not care simply because they have no connection with em...i dont think that is what this country is about and i think the vast majority would do there best even if it meant more lockdown.

You come across as very pretentious to me honestly and all about yourself, Alot of the stuff you are preaching as fact has already been shown by other posters as nonsense. Asking for people not to comment on the stuff you post then...

I've a girl in junior infants, she gets worked emailed each week and other stuff arts/crafts etc maybe every second week

The stuff she gets weekly, would that take a teacher long assign to a class do you think?

So you are happy with one group of health experts ( Irish) but not with another( Australian). Do you think I care whether you perceive me in a good light or not. We are not required to submit our comments for peer review before we post here .
    Feel free to search outside this site for claims you see made .

I was merely pointing out that you said the Australian government were doing something, with no back up - and then posted a link that showed that the Australian government weren't actually doing it.

I was merely pointing out that you said the Australian government were doing something, with no back up - and then posted a link that showed that the Australian government weren't actually doing it.

Dont ruin the fairytale for him.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

polesheep wrote: »
    What about the June bank holiday? The August bank holiday? The October bank holiday?

Don’t mention Christmas

Cupatae wrote: »
    Yeah i dont think highly of people that would put elderly people at risk and not care simply because they have no connection with em...i dont think this is what this country is about and i think the vast majority would do there best even if it meant more lockdown.

You come across as very pretentious to me honestly and all about yourself, Alot of the stuff you are preaching as fact has already been shown by other posters as nonsense. Asking for people not to comment on the stuff you post then...

As I pointed out to you there is no such thing as separate breed of people just others who have a different view of life than you . I 'm not preaching anything as fact I'm giving my opinion just like you are. It may not be 100% correct but unlike some I'm not on a wind up mission.
    Lastly I asked one person to stop badgering me not people just one. A simple and easily respected request just as if you asked me not to pass comment on your posts I would have no problems doing so.

Are all those kids in the one school?
    I know quite a few teachers who are in correspondence with their classes and providing some good home activities for primary level.

Every school is different I suppose

Over 3 schools. They are given a list of things to do but it’s only for example page 7 exercise a.b.c etc.. they don’t have to submit it for the teacher.
    That’s a 10 minute job for a teacher for each class I reckon. Just curious what they do the rest of their “working” week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Love how George Lee is discounting the original restrictions as if that time didn't count

The media is the mouthpiece. As I said on another thread, media studies is going to one very interesting subject when this is over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement