Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Ace2007 wrote: »
    If you work in an office you will know that people work when they have colds because the work needs to be done, it's not right, and as you say it should change, but more than likely it wont'.

I think it will. Orgs will be more comfortable with working from home, managers with not having people in the office knowing they can be productive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

oceanman wrote: »
    I don't have a counterargument, I just don't think any government would risk it so soon.... think of the fallout if they get it wrong!

It will come down to the numbers, deaths / new cases / ICU beds.

Restrictions on arrivals into the country will happen soon, with strict quarantine.

Everybody overseas now has fair warning to get home if that is where they want to ride this out.

There needs to be some easing by month end, unless the numbers are bad, and getting worse.

Gael23 wrote: »
    Obviously if you are high risk and in poor health you are going to remain indoors. But it’s not good for people’s mental health to be cocooned indefinitely

Of course its not but they can't mix safely in the community until this has passed so the options are either take your chances in the community or remain at home safely.

But the rest of us need to get back at it so we can provide for them and start to rebuild the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

easypazz wrote: »
    Its been longer than that. The measures introduced last week would have made an extra little bit of difference but the social distancing has been around over 2 weeks now.

Yeah as ably demonstrated in howth, sally gap, Bray head and various other popular sites around Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

/\/ollog wrote: »
    To be devils advocate; people die all the time with or without a virus that attacks the respiratory system.

People die from things that can't be cured or treated.
    They typically don't die in Europe because we have run out of basic healthcare equipment and workers.

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    Yeah as ably demonstrated in howth, sally gap, Bray head and various other popular sites around Ireland.

While I saw pictures of lots of cars and busy carparks I didn't see people mixing outside their own family group.

With all these places closed it may mean a bigger congregation in city centre outdoor areas, thus a greater spread of risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

While I saw pictures of lots of cars and busy carparks I didn't see people mixing outside their own family group.

With all these places closed it may mean a bigger congregation in city centre outdoor areas, thus a greater spread of risk.

You didn't see the long tight queues for ice cream and chips at Bray, Glendalough, Howth etc, so.

Ger Roe wrote: »
    You didn't see the long tight queues for ice cream and chips at Bray, Glendalough, Howth etc, so.

I agree that was wrong, a proper queue system, well policed, with the 2 metre rule would solve that one.

Responsibility rests with the operator, and if you don't comply you get shut down.

People are getting used to the 2 metre rule better now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭bladespin

As testing ramps up the numbers will jump too but it's the number of hospitalizations they're concerned about,. once that's under control then some restrictions will be lowered, suspect it'll be very gradual though, distancing will remain for a good while yet.

I agree that was wrong, a proper queue system, well policed, with the 2 metre rule would solve that one.

Responsibility rests with the operator, and if you don't comply you get shut down.

People are getting used to the 2 metre rule better now too.

They are for sure but you can't lay peoples behavior outside of a business on the business itself, personal responsibility has to be taken into account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

storker wrote: »
    It's overrated. :D

I really is, I've always thought this though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Blueshoe wrote: »
    You can and it will. If restrictions are eased too much and too quickly and we end up with a second wave of infections the sh1t will really hit the fan.

This "lockdown" we are having here is mild compared to some of our euro neighbors.

No its not mild in comparison. It is the same as the UKs & most countries you are allowed out to shops for necessary groceries. It's very similar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    No its not mild in comparison. It is the same as the UKs & most countries you are allowed out to shops for necessary groceries. It's very similar.

It is mild though. Look at Spain, France and Italy.

It's a mild lockdown. People need to suck it up at get on with it. One week in and people are showing what they are really made of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

GreeBo wrote: »

They where truly disgraceful scenes. Those days are now numbered thankfully and it looks like the vast majority are onboard.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's a mild lockdown. People need to suck it up at get on with it. One week in and people are showing what they are really made of.

Are people in France, Spain and Italy not allowed out for food or medicine?

Having to provide proof of your reasons for being outside and ID for where you live is about the only difference.

In Spain you can still go to the hairdresser, Italy you can go to a bar and have a drink, work, shops, they do have a curfew system in place and non essential travel, very like here actually

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Frankly it's pathetic to hear some of the comments. People need to grow up and hunker down for the forseeable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Yes look at them? One week in and you are showing what you are really made of fantasizing about a 10 year lock down and not understanding it's not easy for elderly and a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

/\/ollog wrote: »
    To be devils advocate; people die all the time with or without a virus that attacks the respiratory system.

Well we'll all die someday mate. This is about managing it so that the health service doesn't get overrun while they try to create effective treatments an vaccines

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Red Alert wrote: »
    Simon Harris curiously made a comment that there was a limit to how long people could put up with extreme level of restrictions as we currently have. Already we’re seeing in Italy that people are starting to get restless. So two big questions:

1) on Easter Sunday, do you think there will be further restrictions, no change with just an extension or some relaxation?

2) what will be the first thing rolled back?

My own guess would be: extension for at least 1 week. Then to allow some businesses like DIY shops to reopen, perhaps allow gatherings of 2/3 people, maybe a token increase on 2km.

It depends on the stats. If, and it's a big if, new infections go to zero by Easter Sunday then a minimum of 14 days extra would be applied to cover recovery. Then a staged unlock would be done, leading to schools being opening mid May to mid June. Cafes and restaurants will be reopened with limited seating and large gatherings (from weddings to sports events) will be severely limited until June at a minimum. Country back to complete normal by Tuesday.

Which Tuesday? Probably one in July/August.

That's my guess. Full lockdown can only go on for a month, max.

However, people will probably be instinctively practicing social distancing and increased hygiene long after the lockdown finishes.

Flights will still be very limited until we stop seeing cases in Europe. I wouldn't be holding out hope of a foreign holiday this year, sadly. However, more people will probably holiday within Ireland, helping to kickstart tourism again. Restaurants, hotels, cinemas and cafes will be packed.

Just pulling this out of my proverbial btw, but they are reasonable guesses.

• Advertisement

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Yes look at them? One week in and you are showing what you are really made of fantasizing about a 10 year lock down and not understanding it's not easy for elderly and a lot of people.

10 year lockdown? Who mentioned that?

I'm dealing with the government restrictions put in place to save lives and get things back on track as soon as possible.
    Some are on here complaining because they don't think it's fair or they can't meet Mary for a cup of tea.

It's a global pandemic the like none of us have seen before. Some are showing themselves up as selfish crybabies. Mental health is important no doubt but the countries healthcare system not collapsing and the army carting dead bodies through our cities is more important right now.

Stay home, drink tea and watch Netflix.
    Ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

One week in? This is my 4th week working from home and limiting my social interactions. I've been going running once a day and shopping once a week and thats been it for nearly 4 weeks now and while I'm fine really it is starting to affect me mentally. We are sucking it up and getting on with it, but it can't go on forever or society will start to break down as is beginning to happen in Italy now. Theres instances of domestic murders and suicide occuring there now and there's been one or two here as well.

With new cases numbers dropping here at some point in the next few weeks we are going to reach a point where the lockdown will be inflicting more damage on society than the virus.

Edit: Also its come to my attention in the last few weeks that there's loads of sad bastards in this country who live like this all the time and are delighted that we've all been brought down to their level. Might be easy for those people but it isn't for the rest of us who have lives and want to get bck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Are people not doing this anyway? If you feel a cough etc. avoid vulnerable people, stay home from work if feasible, and dont visit a nursing. These are things we should be doing anyway. Maybe post this peak it will become more normal.

No they do not and it was never so obvious to me as it was last year. I ended up on antibiotics twice, in hospital once and caught everything else going last winter when I was pregnant. Do you think that stopped people calling to the house spluttering and coughing, even though they knew I was catching everything and also having a toddler in the house that wasn't in childcare so also susceptible because they weren't exposed to the normal bugs kids get, not a chance. They seemed to think that their visit was more important than me trying to stay healthy. People are selfish and self-centred at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

bladespin wrote: »
    In Spain you can still go to the hairdresser, Italy you can go to a bar and have a drink, work, shops, they do have a curfew system in place and non essential travel, very like here actually

There is nothing like this here. Couple of cars just passed my house while writing this post..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

10 year lockdown? Who mentioned that?

I'm dealing with the government restrictions put in place to save lives and get things back on track as soon as possible.
    Some are on here complaining because they don't think it's fair or they can't meet Mary for a cup of tea.

It's a global pandemic the like none of us have seen before. Some are showing themselves up as selfish crybabies. Mental health is important no doubt but the countries healthcare system not collapsing and the army carting dead bodies through our cities is more important right now.

Stay home, drink tea and watch Netflix.
    Ffs

You just dont get it do you. Netflix, your right, that will save everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

This madness has to end Sunday week, the economic and social impact is devastating.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

MadYaker wrote: »
    Edit: Also its come to my attention in the last few weeks that there's loads of sad bastards in this country who live like this all the time and are delighted that we've all been brought down to their level. Might be easy for those people but it isn't for the rest of us who have lives and want to get bck to them.

there's a large amount of these people in this forum.

niallo27 wrote: »

No you just don't get it. You have been told to stay in by the government. Support front line workers, the elderly and society as a whole during this period and get on with it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

niallo27 wrote: »
    and tea, dont forget tea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

On the RTE One O'Clock News, Simon Coveney's words were cited by a reporter (not directly) as suggesting they are going to extend the current measurers. They are meeting this afternoon to consider the strategy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement