Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,581 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Lads its such a nice day outside, why are ye on here arguing?

It's all some of these people have!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Unless every single person you seen pictured on social media, by someone with clearly nothing better to do than twitch curtains, stopped and talked face-to-face with everyone they encounter, for the required time it is said for the virus to spread, then I think you are being slightly over-dramatic.

Down in St Annes Park for a good while today. Good crowd around, but everyone keeping their distance and being sensible while enjoying the sun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

gmisk wrote: »
    People in Ireland still taking the p#ss with journeys.
    Some guy caught going from Tipperary to limerick to buy a ....trampoline...

Jesus christ who gives a **** what one idiot did? It's completely unreflective of the efforts the majority of us are making. In the grand scheme of things it will have zero impact on the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Chances of infection on a trip like that? Assuming he's driving and it's left outside or social distance practiced, next to none.

I don't get the outrage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Nermal

We’ll definitely see a bounce in the new cases figure if this type of behaviour continues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,747 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Chances of infection on a trip like that? Assuming he's driving and it's left outside or social distance practiced, next to none.

I don't get the outrage

Because he's not suppose to be out and about.

A man was killed in a 2 car crash in Kildare today, this despite the fact there should be little no traffic on the roads - another example of a live loss needlessly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭uptherebels

I don't get the outrage

Why would you make those assumptions? If he felt it was okay to ignore the restrictions in place, why do you feel he would be bothered with any other precations.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Obsessed with Trump? bloody nonsense. He happens to be the President of perhaps the biggest most powerful country in the world, are we supposed to ignore him just so the likes of you can't throw out that "you're obsessed" nonsense?

There is no need to sensationalise this issue.

We concentrate on the immediate medical emergency and when the situation is under the control of the health service and our health service won't suffer a meltdown, you then make a call on restarting the economy and getting people's lives back on track.

Trump will sensationalise it, that's the way he operates and it's the sort of unnecessarily aggressive and panic stricken bollocksology that some posters on this thread are coming out with. Well done, ye sound like a bunch of Trump fanboys.

I really don't see what relevance it has other than for you to bang on about how rubbish he is. Yes he sensationalises things. As he's done since before he even got elected with other issues. I mean are you surprised? The blokes a headcase yet you always bring him up for no reason at all, other than to lead a charge of guilt by association.

I've seen none of this Trump-esque 'bollocksology'. I see you talking of fan boys again also though haha!

The question is, as it's always been in these discussions, is for how long can the current restrictions remain until they become counter productive. I fail to see what random clips of trump add to answering that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I really don't see what relevance it has other than for you to bang on about how rubbish he is. Yes he sensationalises things. As he's done since before he even got elected with other issues. I mean are you surprised? The blokes a headcase yet you always bring him up for no reason at all, other than to lead a charge of guilt by association.

I've seen none of this Trump-esque 'bollocksology'. I see you talking of fan boys again also though haha!

There's loads of sensationalism on this thread, I'm hoping that sort of panic stricken sensationalism will have zero effect on the decision makers in this country and in Europe. Trump is an absolute bollocks and I'm going to call him that every time he comes out with that sort of crap and I don't see why you have an issue with that if it's the case you brand him a headcase yourself?
    The question is, as it's always been in these discussions, is for how long can the current restrictions remain until they become counter productive. I fail to see what random clips of trump add to answering that question.

I'm putting him up there in an attempt to illustrate the need to not sensationalise this issue and to not give in to alarmist and panic stricken prognostications of the long term economy that we've seen on this thread. We need to support our health service, give it time to tool up and then put the economy back into action. We need to keep our heads, we don't need Trump like bullshít, that's the last thing we need and there's been plenty of it in this thread.

Somewhere that hasn't taken the 'if you think of the economy your a big selfish prick approach' and actually taken it into consideration.

Are you saying that's the approach being taken in Ireland? That's not the case at all. More bollocksology.

• Advertisement

Are you saying that's the approach being taken in Ireland? That's not the case at all. More bollocksology.

No Ireland has not taken that approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

But what's the alternative to that?! It's either cocoon the people at most risk until it's safe enough for them to rejoin society, or make everyone stay at home for that length of time. It's not about whether it's 'fair' or not, it's about trying to keep as many people alive as possible while also keeping the country running as best as possible.

How else do you think it's going to work? There's absolutely no logic behind anything you say, honestly.

It was all about whether it was fair when it was you though. When it was you bemoaning two weeks of not being allowed sit in the park.

My only point here is that you’re 100% in favour of cocooning people for 18 months when you were literally describing it as “not living” after less than two weeks of doing it yourself.

My only solution is that we continue to follow the guidance of the government, the HSE and the WHO so I’m not sure how I’m the one lacking in logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

Presidents and prime ministers in Europe and across the pond want people to go to work to get the economy going, pay taxes and whatnot. That's fine but what's the plan of action to ensure the safety of those going to work either in their work places, in public transport (the LUAS for example is packed in the morning) and in the streets?

No Ireland has not taken that approach.

Well what are you blathering about then? Irrelevant gibberish.

And btw, they're digging mass graves in New York City, how is it irrelevant what their President says and how he is sensationalising the issue just because to say so irks your Right Wing sensibilities.

There's loads of sensationalism on this thread, I'm hoping that sort of panic stricken sensationalism will have zero effect on the decision makers in this country and in Europe. Trump is an absolute bollocks and I'm going to call him that every time he comes out with that sort of crap and I don't see why you have an issue with that if it's the case you brand him a headcase yourself?

I'm putting him up there in an attempt to illustrate the need to not sensationalise this issue and to not give in to alarmist and panic stricken prognostications of the long term economy that we've seen on this thread. We need to support our health service, give it time to tool up and then put the economy back into action. We need to keep our heads, we don't need Trump like bullshít, that's the last thing we need and there's been plenty of it in this thread.

What Trump-like bull****? It is a matter of fact that the longer swathes of the economy are shut down the worse the effects on the economy both in the short and long-term. I've seen Noone dispute this. The question is at what point the economic impacts, and all that entails, becomes too big an issue to continue the current measures. Donald Trump adds nothing to this discussion.

Well what are you blathering about then? Irrelevant gibberish.

And btw, they're digging mass graves in New York City, how is it irrelevant what their President says and how he is sensationalising the issue just because to say so irks your Right Wing sensibilities.

Read Idbatterims post and maybe you'll understand better then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

What Trump-like bull****? It is a matter of fact that the longer swathes of the economy are shut down the worse the effects on the economy both in the short and long-term. I've seen Noone dispute this. The question is at what point the economic impacts, and all that entails, becomes too big an issue to continue the current measures. Donald Trump adds nothing to this discussion.
    Wondering myself what Trump has got to do the discussion .Is the calling of Trump names and derogatory terms an attempt to project the same insults onto posters here by association do you think?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/harris-sets-new-target-for-when-some-coronavirus-restrictions-could-be-lifted-39120744.html

If true Fine Gael will be despised by the country
    Politicians cannot hide behind the medical profession
    The scientists and health professionals will never end the lockdown

We need Someone brave to step forward and end this compete nonsensical position we are in

End all restrictions and let people decide if they want to isolate themselves
    And let the hard workers get back to work to rebuild this economy the weak willed have let fall into a serious recession

Time to pick aside, Get with us or go and hide

Wondering myself what Trump has got to do the discussion .Is the calling of Trump names and derogatory terms an attempt to project the same insults onto posters here by association do you think?

Yes. The idea being that if you merely think of the economy you are some far right animal akin to Boris Johnson and Donald Trump. Notice the accusation of me having 'right-wing sensibilities' because I pointed this out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/harris-sets-new-target-for-when-some-coronavirus-restrictions-could-be-lifted-39120744.html

We need Someone brave to step forward and end this compete nonsensical position we are in

And let the hard workers get back to work to rebuild this economy the weak willed have let fall into a serious recession

Perhaps our brave new leader will have a toothbrush moustache. Watch the news, lad - our barren rock depends on the global economy recovering. We depend far more on the Googles of this world than we do on Uncle Diageo. Not ideal, but a fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

End all restrictions and let people decide if they want to isolate themselves.
    And who then decides who gets turned away at the hospitals?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Yes. The idea being that if you merely think of the economy you are some far right animal akin to Boris Johnson and Donald Trump. Notice the accusation of me having 'right-wing sensibilities' because I pointed this out.

Its almost as if ye are doing the exact same thing... except in reverse! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,747 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Recent polls show support for FG is up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

Phoebas wrote: »

The health professionals - basically do their job to the best of their ability

Phoebas wrote: »

The people saying nonsense like that, im convinced dont really no what it is they are asking for...some could do with seeing what happens in reality, they might not be so quick to condemn 1000s to death. Clearly watching the devastation that happened in Italy wasn't enough.

The health professionals - basically do their job to the best of their ability

The same health care professionals are the ones telling you what your asking for is a bad idea.

The reality is at risk people are going to have to coccoon until there is a vaccine, or at least an effective treatment.

Some sort of treatment is key that would prevent the vast majority from needing ventilators. Once we have that we can open up the economy. Before that I can't see it.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    A man was killed in a 2 car crash in Kildare today, this despite the fact there should be little no traffic on the roads - another example of a live loss needlessly.

... and? Were you looking for the road safety forum ?

Why would you make those assumptions? If he felt it was okay to ignore the restrictions in place, why do you feel he would be bothered with any other precations.?

You probably don't want to look at adverts.ie.

I sold a phone on it the other day, I left it outside and he put money in the letterbox. No problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Cupatae wrote: »
    The same health care professionals are the ones telling you what your asking for is a bad idea.

This thread is basically divided between people who want to tell health professionals what to do and people who want to be told what to do by the health professionals.

And no, that doesn't mean we don't care about the economy. You can care about two things and have a primary focus on the one that is most immediately being damaged.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement