Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Cupatae wrote: »
    Its almost as if ye are doing the exact same thing... except in reverse! :eek:

What calling him far left? I'm not, never have.

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/harris-sets-new-target-for-when-some-coronavirus-restrictions-could-be-lifted-39120744.html

If true Fine Gael will be despised by the country
    Politicians cannot hide behind the medical profession
    The scientists and health professionals will never end the lockdown

We need Someone brave to step forward and end this compete nonsensical position we are in

End all restrictions and let people decide if they want to isolate themselves
    And let the hard workers get back to work to rebuild this economy the weak willed have let fall into a serious recession

Time to pick aside, Get with us or go and hide

That guideline of R0 being less than one is pretty fair. You're easily shocked, that's what most viewed it as...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/harris-sets-new-target-for-when-some-coronavirus-restrictions-could-be-lifted-39120744.html

If true Fine Gael will be despised by the country
    Politicians cannot hide behind the medical profession
    The scientists and health professionals will never end the lockdown

We need Someone brave to step forward and end this compete nonsensical position we are in

End all restrictions and let people decide if they want to isolate themselves
    And let the hard workers get back to work to rebuild this economy the weak willed have let fall into a serious recession

Time to pick aside, Get with us or go and hide

OK. I propose your good self should step forward and solve the problem. lord quackinton for Taoiseach.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Nermal

KiKi III wrote: »
    This thread is basically divided between people who want to tell health professionals what to do and people who want to be told what to do by the health professionals.

And no, that doesn't mean we don't care about the economy. You can care about two things and have a primary focus on the one that is most immediately being damaged.

It's divided between people still in touch with reality and those who believe we need keep under-65s indoors in case they catch a virus that has the same chance of killing them as a 9 mile car journey. To satisfy your credentialism:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.05.20054361v1

One day, when the establishment regains sanity and changes course, you'll deny that you ever thought this was a good idea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

Perhaps our brave new leader will have a toothbrush moustache. Watch the news, lad - our barren rock depends on the global economy recovering. We depend far more on the Googles of this world than we do on Uncle Diageo. Not ideal, but a fact.

Nice attempt at a dodge but you are playing with someone who actually works in This field
    We are affected by the world economy but this country rebuilt itself after 2008 like no other country did
    We actually were having real growth
    We are a hard working and intelligent people and we are not completely bound by how other economies are doing
    The longer the state is borrowing billions to pay welfare with no exit plan and no honesty on who will repay this debt
    Let’s open the building sites, get key state bodies like the land registry, courts, probate open
    The leaving cert should be done in early July

In short get behind us or get out of the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Cupatae wrote: »
    The people saying nonsense like that, im convinced dont really no what it is they are asking for...some could do with seeing what happens in reality, they might not be so quick to condemn 1000s to death. Clearly watching the devastation that happened in Italy wasn't enough.
    There are a certain cohort that are incapable of seeing further than one step ahead with the result that they think they know exactly what to do and everyone else just isn't getting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,462 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Phoebas wrote: »
    There are a certain cohort that are incapable of seeing further than one step ahead with the result that they think they know exactly what to do and everyone else just isn't getting it.

There are a lot who get so caught up in concerns about the economy they seem to forget there's still a deadly virus on the rampage out there....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,747 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

... and? Were you looking for the road safety forum ?

No, but I replied to a poster saying there is no harm to be out in a car, well some poor soul has died today because people could not respect what the government have asked of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Breaking point today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Nice attempt at a dodge but you are playing with someone who actually works in This field
    We are affected by the world economy but this country rebuilt itself after 2008 like no other country did
    We actually were having real growth
    We are a hard working and intelligent people and we are not completely bound by how other economies are doing
    The longer the state is borrowing billions to pay welfare with no exit plan and no honesty on who will repay this debt
    Let’s open the building sites, get key state bodies like the land registry, courts, probate open
    The leaving cert should be done in early July

In short get behind us or get out of the way

You do realise that if the economy opened back up tomorrow in Ireland, it's f*cked anyway due to the incoming depression?
    Ireland doesn't dictate the global economy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Ace2007 wrote: »
    No, but I replied to a poster saying there is no harm to be out in a car, well some poor soul has died today because people could not respect what the government have asked of them.

So you know that neither of those drivers should have been on the road? Care to share your knowledge of why they were out and about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

You do realise that if the economy opened back up tomorrow in Ireland, it's f*cked anyway due to the incoming depression?
    Ireland doesn't dictate the global economy.

Ireland also has an indigenous economy, I thought this was well known.

Ireland also has an indigenous economy, I thought this was well known.

I think most of our major players are still going in that regard though, farming, ICT, pharma etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Bizarre guy. Your reporting on a pandemic . Should use Twitter as a professional platform. No chance this would happen with Sky News, CNN and maybe even RTE.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1249041891510964226

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Nermal wrote: »
    It's divided between people still in touch with reality and those who believe we need keep under-65s indoors in case they catch a virus that has the same chance of killing them as a 9 mile car journey. To satisfy your credentialism:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.05.20054361v1

One day, when the establishment regains sanity and changes course, you'll deny that you ever thought this was a good idea.

It's not news that this virus primarily effects older people and those with underlying conditions so I'm not sure what kind of 'gotcha' moment you think you pulled off there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

I think most of our major players are still going in that regard though, farming, ICT, pharma etc.

No they are not, indigenous businesses like motoring trade, hotels, opticians to name but a few are closed now and it’s not just about major players anyway. There are real people behind these businesses whose livelihood is now on the line. Imagine the stress of that. The country was really getting it’s on feet again through the hard work and goodness of Irish people and now look at where we are heading. Add to that leaving cert students not knowing where they are going as regards their leaving cert. I’ve a nephew doing his leaving cert seriously distressed not knowing whether he’s coming or going and probably many thousands more like him. It’s shameful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

citysights wrote: »
    No they are not, indigenous businesses like motoring trade, hotels, opticians to name but a few are closed now and it’s not just about major players anyway. There are real people behind these businesses whose livelihood is now on the line. Imagine the stress of that. The country was really getting it’s on feet again through the hard work and goodness of Irish people and now look at where we are heading. Add to that leaving cert students not knowing where they are going as regards their leaving cert. I’ve a nephew doing his leaving cert seriously distressed not knowing whether he’s coming or going and probably many thousands more like him. It’s shameful.

Yeah but we've put in a great 2 weeks and just 3 more weeks to go :rolleyes:

trades and opticians etc are always required but hotels, tourism, etc are f*cked for the foreseeable future no matter what we do really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I don’t know where this is headed but it’s bad news economically and a result socially. Not to repeat the bleedin obvious, but the longer this severe lockdown goes on, the more irreparable damage that is done - meaning massive cutbacks to social welfare supports and all other expenditures including health.

road_high wrote: »
    I don’t know where this is headed but it’s bad news economically and a result socially. Not to repeat the bleedin obvious, but the longer this severe lockdown goes on, the more irreparable damage that is done - meaning massive cutbacks to social welfare supports and all other expenditures including health.

I don't think this can be avoided no matter what we do at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

never have so few asked so much of so many.

discuss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Can’t see the €350 per week level lasting much longer, if it goes beyond originally planned that’ll have to be pared back, same as the Jobseekers

never have so few asked so much of so many.

discuss

Is that not what we've been discussing for the last 302 pages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

road_high wrote: »

It is really bad news and people are already very worried, as you say who is going to pay for all this, mean while able bodied people who want to work sit at home twiddling their thumbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,924 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Your usual cheery self today. I dont know of any reports i just read it on the guardian.
    robbiezero wrote: »
    Down in St Annes Park for a good while today. Good crowd around, but everyone keeping their distance and being sensible while enjoying the sun.

Was also there and on coast.

Was. Excellent, people all improving.

When we actually study this and contact trace, you will find people were getting this at this phase from

1) work
    2) shopping
    3) care facilities/medical facilities
    4) mixing outside your family unit

Outside walks will hardly feature, yet people obsessed on line.

Government done well to hold against the hysteria

(Imo)

Is that not what we've been discussing for the last 302 pages?
    yeah but i thought i'd sum it up with a clever reworking of the Churchill speech

yeah but i thought i'd sum it up with a clever reworking of the Churchill speech

Certainly adds a touch of class to the discussion.

Certainly adds a touch of class to the discussion.

well i am wearing a monocle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,747 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

There are real people dying, but that doesn't stop posters saying forget about that lets just the economy back on it's feet.

What is your solution for the LC? The is a pandemic that no country in the world is on top of - yet you call in shameful - give me a solution for the LC that every student will be happy with

• Advertisement

well i am wearing a monocle

Put some clothes on!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement