Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

JL555 wrote: »
    It's a very good question, why are they closed?, however our solicitor confirmed this with us this week and the bank will not accept anything right now unless it was been through the PRAI. I'm really peed off as this is the last item we needed to complete the purchase of our house, which in all likelihood will not happen now. We have pretty much everything else signed, but I'm sure the bank can find a way to wriggle out of a signed contract, loads of people in this situation I'm sure. It's a complete balls!!!

I used to work for them years ago, they were located in the four courts. So maybe all the four courts offices have been shut? I have friends and family who work for civil service though and they are all still working at some capacity however, so why the PRAI is totally offline is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I work in a position listed on the essential services , won’t say what it is, but I see what is happening and no one in government or the media is discussing it

Had a client last Wednesday have his mortgage pulled just as he was drawing down
    The man was heartbroken, spoke to him by phone, he asked me straight out would he ever see the mortgage
    I told him honestly but calmly the answer was no
    This man had suffered and lost everything in 2008 including his marriage and had worked his way back the last 10 years to qualify for a modest mortgage
    He broke down on the phone, being honest I nearly broke myself
    This is a true story and due to this governments incompetence this same faith awaits thousands of other hopeful buyers

Well I don't know the exact circumstances but I would like to be hopeful that when this nightmare passes someone like him may re-apply and qualify again just as he had done. One big thing that is missing in the whole thing is a bit of hope and people need that. Otherwise what are all these sacrifices for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

KiKi III wrote: »
    I'm categorically not having this conversation again today.

Scroll back about 50 pages on the thread, I said everything I have to say on the topic yesterday.

It was a question if you can't answer it no problem. It was you who made mention of closing newsagents a few comments ago. Doesn't make sense tbh. Why do you want more people on the dole?

Well if you linked my whole post, that is just one major issue not being discussed

The government are not informing the public of what awaits then economically if we stay closed
    If they were straight up the public would say open it up we will take our chances

I know it's not going to be good. People are in dream-world if they think we can maintain the current levels of social expenditure from a mothballed economy and society. It's impossible.
    The exceptional Social Welfare payments can only be very temporary and can't be extended indefinitely. I'd have gone with some limited re-openings yesterday. I don't see how choralling the public solely into a limited range of supermarkets is any different from social distancing in a DIY store. Or allowing customers call/click and collect items from said stores.

MOH wrote: »
    There's two eejit couples from Cork sitting in the common area of my apartment complex drinking mojitos all afternoon. Discussing what they'd go back to the girls' house (which is about 3k away - from the loud conversation it sounded like only one, maybe two of them actually lives here). And what time flatmates were arranging the later plans for. While whinging about the lockdown. And how onerous it is that they can't visit home (but the guards aren't there all the time and you might be lucky) and when it might end.

And thanks to muppets like that lockdown will continue it'll be at least two months since I've seen a single face I know by the time restrictions are eased.

This country is largely populated by utter idiots. They generally fall into two categories. The kind who'll drive to Limerick to buy a trampoline. And the kind who'll follow the rules and basic common sense. I'm sick of being an idiot for other people's benefit

Drew Harris, Garda Commissioner said tonight that the vast majority of people in Ireland are following the restrictions. Stop whinging for Gods sake. This country is NOT largely populated by utter idiots!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Why did he have it pulled?

House was 120K loan of 90k
    sin stated land registry was closed and so could not proceed
    But aib wont proceed as that same house will be worth at most 75K if even in a few months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

I would like to acknowledge the super effort that the frontline staff are doing the last few weeks and into future, heroes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

road_high wrote: »
    Pretty much- I know and I think we all do, couples living the dream and had been working hard and earning very good livings- one may be in Construction/trades, the other working as a Hairdresser/Beauty/leisure trade. Mansion of a home with a hefty mortgage, one or two new SUVs on the drive, kids in tow used to the very best of everything. Now they're both at home, if lucky getting the Covid welfare payment for now. Hoping and praying this nightmare might end soon. Yes, the banks may be fobbed off for a few months. Or rent on a premises put on a hold. But nearly two months into this total shutdown, how long will those kind of repayments stay on ice?
    Another couple I know one had been front of house in Gym (god knows when they'll reopen?). Other works in the Golf industry ( a real pain on the arse that did think he was essential to the planet but that's another issue and wouldn't wish him to lose his job). They have a mortgage, fine house and cars and kids. These are the kind of real people caught in the fall out.
    I'm lucky in the sector I work in is an essential component of the supply sector. But who's to say what the future could bring?

Yes, know of similar stories, self employed and mortgage, now can’t work has plenty of customers waiting on him but can’t open, he is desperately upset. Another self employed person working from home ok for now but doesn’t know long term. Another one an employee in a biggish company, closed for now but hoping to get back. I’m still working but again who knows. Another one on an apprenticeship, now sitting at home, no idea whether he’ll get back to finish his apprenticeship. These are just a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

But aib wont proceed as that same house will be worth at most 75K if even in a few months

So why can't he go ahead and buy the house at 75k in a few months with a much smaller mortgage?

Does he still have a job/employment? Might end up better off if he could get it cheaper.

• Advertisement

citysights wrote: »
    Yes, know of similar stories, self employed and mortgage, now can’t work has plenty of customers waiting on him but can’t open, he is desperately upset. Another self employed person working from home ok for now but doesn’t know long term. Another one an employee in a biggish company, closed for now but hoping to get back. I’m still working but again who knows. Another one on an apprenticeship, now sitting at home, no idea whether he’ll get back to finish his apprenticeship. These are just a few.

That's why my heart sank yesterday listening to Varadkars ****e. Those poetry quotes are useless to the ordinary person. I and we all know the disruption and worry that is causing and the it felt like the knife was pushed in a bit further yesterday.
    I'm not happy that the state was on top of the Nursing home, hospital and PPE situations. Not to mention the disappointing performance over testing. Why promise 15,000 tests per day when you don't have the capacity to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

I work in a position listed on the essential services , won’t say what it is, but I see what is happening and no one in government or the media is discussing it

Had a client last Wednesday have his mortgage pulled just as he was drawing down
    The man was heartbroken, spoke to him by phone, he asked me straight out would he ever see the mortgage
    I told him honestly but calmly the answer was no
    This man had suffered and lost everything in 2008 including his marriage and had worked his way back the last 10 years to qualify for a modest mortgage
    He broke down on the phone, being honest I nearly broke myself
    This is a true story and due to this governments incompetence this same faith awaits thousands of other hopeful buyers

It's pretty much the exact situation I find myself in, I won't go through the timeline of events but to say the last decade has been difficult is an understatement, albeit things have been slowly but surely getting better. I really thought this time I had built things back to a solid foundation and now this mess.You can only control what you do yourself and hope to be smart and do the right things in life, but I really do not know where to go after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Yes. The idea being that if you merely think of the economy you are some far right animal akin to Boris Johnson and Donald Trump. Notice the accusation of me having 'right-wing sensibilities' because I pointed this out.

Right wing in this instance is probably the wrong term, short sighted panic stricken bollocksology would be more accurate.

You'd have had Tory parties in the UK in the past for example that were Right Wing but tbf would have had people of substance that would have dealt much better with a crisis like this Covid crisis than the feckless eejit Johnson.

In this country and I'm not an FG voter we've had good leadership in this. Unfortunately for the people of the UK and US they've got utter incompetent bollocks' at the helm. The criticism of the Irish caretaker government on this thread is there for all to see. Short sighted, idiotic Trump/Johnson like bollocksology.

Drew Harris, Garda Commissioner said tonight that the vast majority of people in Ireland are following the restrictions. Stop whinging for Gods sake. This country is NOT largely populated by utter idiots!

Indeed, roads etc are practically empty. The vast vast majority are out on essential related trips.
    Lets not sink to the realms of absolute lockdown paranoia so much of the country are indulging in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Right wing in this instance is probably the wrong term, short sighted panic stricken bollocksology would be more accurate.

You'd have had Tory parties in the UK in the past for example that were Right Wing but tbf would have had people of substance that would have dealt much better with a crisis like this Covid crisis than the feckless eejit Johnson.

In this country and I'm not an FG voter we've had good leadership in this. Unfortunately for the people of the UK and US they've got utter incompetent bollocks' at the helm. The criticism of the Irish caretaker government on this thread is there for all to see. Short sighted, idiotic Trump/Johnson like bollocksology.

Very few are outright hostile to them. Criticism is a vital part of democracy. Each and everyone of this government (and FF / SF for not playing political football) have families and friends that they're worried about. You can trawl my previous posts to find references to Fianna Fail gangsters, Varadker's shallowness and shinnerbots. You'll find plenty.

In a way I think we've been served well by having a proxy government where no-one knows who really should be in charge. Without the fuss, we've landed with a kind of national government that's run by consensus, not who fixed the most potholes in Leitrim or where you stood on the water charges.

For all my gripes, I think it's working out. How it ends up, nobody knows.

And me not even drunk yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

That's why my heart sank yesterday listening to Varadkars ****e. Those poetry quotes are useless to the ordinary person. I and we all know the disruption and worry that is causing and the it felt like the knife was pushed in a bit further yesterday.
    I'm not happy that the state was on top of the Nursing home, hospital and PPE situations. Not to mention the disappointing performance over testing. Why promise 15,000 tests per day when you don't have the capacity to do that?

The current government exceeded my expectations in terms of how they handled the situation with COVID-19. They moved fast, took bold decisions, increased social welfare for those affected and are taking a hit to save lives.
    No-one want a lockdown and an economic shock but it is the only solution until we get the desired results.
    Either way people will be unhappy, if the government apply a lockdown people will be moaning about it, if the government don't take any actions then people will fear for their health...the current measures are necessary and temporary.

People are complaining but the lockdown is here until the 5th of May with a possible extension. People can moan as much as they want but the law is the law and it applies to all regardless if you agree or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Very few are outright hostile to them. Criticism is a vital part of democracy. Each and everyone of this government (and FF / SF for not playing political football) have families and friends that they're worried about. You can trawl my previous posts to find references to Fianna Fail gangsters, Varadker's shallowness and shinnerbots. You'll find plenty.

In a way I think we've been served well by having a proxy government where no-one knows who really should be in charge. Without the fuss, we've landed with a kind of national government that's run by consensus, not who fixed the most potholes in Leitrim or where you stood on the water charges.

For all my gripes, I think it's working out. How it ends up, nobody knows.

And me not even drunk yet.

There has been populist Trump like scum like Murphy in Wexford and Grealish in Galway and that Peter Casey chancer that won a lot of votes in a Presidential election but thankfully so far in this country we haven't gone down the toilet like electorates in the US and UK have done. The people of the US and UK will now reap what they sew for electing chancers like Trump and Johnson.

alwald wrote: »
    The current government exceeded my expectations in terms of how they handled the situation with COVID-19. They moved fast, took bold decisions, increased social welfare for those affected and are taking a hit to save lives.
    No-one want a lockdown and an economic shock but it is the only solution until we get the desired results.
    Either way people will be unhappy, if the government apply a lockdown people will be moaning about it, if the government don't take any actions then people will fear for their health...the current measures are necessary and temporary.

People are complaining but the lockdown is here until the 5th of May with a possible extension. People can moan as much as they want but the law is the law and it applies to all regardless if you agree or not.

I know. And I respect that. Also while critical of the government on aspects, they've done a lot better than many others and moved fairly fast.

I can't see the social welfare level lasting, it isn't possible. No more than in the next 6 months it'll be possible to keep going at the levels of public spending we have been enjoying. Frivolities like welfare bonuses are out the window and I would envisage a cut to the standard allowances too. The longer we are shutdown the more inevitable these become, sadly.

I know. And I respect that. Also while critical of the government on aspects, they've done a lot better than many others and moved fairly fast.

I can't see the social welfare level lasting, it isn't possible. No more than in the next 6 months it'll be possible to keep going at the levels of public spending we have been enjoying. Frivolities like welfare bonuses are out the window and I would envisage a cut to the standard allowances too. The longer we are shutdown the more inevitable these become, sadly.

I honestly think that this level of social welfare won't last more than 3 months max...we will see a reduction but it won't happen in few weeks.
    My hope is that all businesses, except those involved in hospitality, will go back to normal, with social distancing measures, by July/August and that it will be done gradually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I see several countries , Denmark , Austria , Norway , Czech Rep are about to relax, in a small way some of the restrictions , I can’t see us being too far behind that curve.

I think we could ease up on the 2Km a bit , and open Diy and garden centres , within strict rules , the current sickness levels ICU levels are essentially as a result of the first set of restrictions two weeks ago , since we haven’t seen ICU overwhelmed in any meaningful wa6 ( we now have 500 beds and about 125 -150 in use ) and we also have the further restrictive lockdown measures to further lower icu demand , we could begin a small reduction in restrictions

Still keep beaches , beauty spots closed , no travel say over 10 km and reopen certain stores

• Advertisement

BoatMad wrote: »
    I see several countries , Denmark , Austria , Norway , Czech Rep are about to relax, in a small way some of the restrictions , I can’t see us being too far behind that curve.

Based on Worldometers Norway and Austria have gone through their peak period about 2 weeks ago, and have a flat curve at the moment. The same thing cannot be said about Denmark and the Czech Rep...it is going to be interesting to follow these countries in the next 2 to 3 weeks and learn from their progress.

Edit: I agree that shops such as DIY should also open, with the condition of putting in place social distancing measures, as really the likelihood of infection is the same as supermarkets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

alwald wrote: »

Normally the laws are made by the people we elect. We did not elect this government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

polesheep wrote: »
    Normally the laws are made by the people we elect. We did not elect this government.

So who should be making the decisions?

So are you saying that the decisions made by the current government in charge are unlawful and unconstitutional?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Perhaps the parties currently running a mile from government should be held to account for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,747 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Pretty much- I know and I think we all do, couples living the dream and had been working hard and earning very good livings- one may be in Construction/trades, the other working as a Hairdresser/Beauty/leisure trade. Mansion of a home with a hefty mortgage, one or two new SUVs on the drive, kids in tow used to the very best of everything. Now they're both at home, if lucky getting the Covid welfare payment for now. Hoping and praying this nightmare might end soon. Yes, the banks may be fobbed off for a few months. Or rent on a premises put on a hold. But nearly two months into this total shutdown, how long will those kind of repayments stay on ice?
    Another couple I know one had been front of house in Gym (god knows when they'll reopen?). Other works in the Golf industry ( a real pain on the arse that did think he was essential to the planet but that's another issue and wouldn't wish him to lose his job). They have a mortgage, fine house and cars and kids. These are the kind of real people caught in the fall out.
    I'm lucky in the sector I work in is an essential component of the supply sector. But who's to say what the future could bring?

This is not the thread for it - but the way you go on about the first couple for instance - they are living a lifestyle that perhaps they didn't need - the mansion of a house, 2 SUV's, kids enjoying the best of everything. Did this couple not learn anything from the crash in 2008?

It's very easy to blame governments/banks etc - but at what stage do people not have to take responsibility for their actions. Why didn't that couple maybe just get a normal size house, maybe not have 2 SUV's etc. Why do their kids think they need to best of everything. Why did they decide to get the hefty mortgage?

Why is it fair that some people who live beyond their means think that the banks should act with kindness when we get out of this mess, (all for the banks doing nothing during the mess), but if the couple learned nothing from the 2008 crash and thought of a rainy day fund - ideally 6 months worth of expenses), then they will never learn. One thing hopefully they do realise is that health is wealth.

I have friends who won't buy a house because they see it as being in debt for 30 years as a bad thing - I think throwing money away on rent is madness but they like the freedom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,747 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Continuous assessment. Everybody at least passes the useless exam. Interviews / matriculation exams for the colleges.
    Worst comes to worst they can have a gap year while the system sorts itself out. Given that most graduates have degrees in something they don't know why they chose in the first place it might produce a more talented generation. Less event managers and systems analysts. Less people allergic to cats and dogs training to be vets because the points are massive.

Off-topic, but one idiot I grew up with trained to be a marine biologist - he couldn't swim and was afraid of water. Last time we met, he was a hell of a barman.
    The Leaving Cert is only important to those it's inflicted upon.

You can't do the continuous assessment part when the school year in pretty much over, I asked the poster for a solution to the problem we are in, because he says the actions of the government are shameful. It's easy to sit on the arm chair and give out - but there is not solution that anyone can come up with that is fair for the LC this year.

Not a peep out of the Mary lou one once the **** hit the fan- not so long ago she was touring the nation telling us how “she’d won the election”.
    Surely herself and all the other wasters could come together via Teams to push forward a grounding for a new government of “change” we were told was badly needed? As before the majority lies outside FG or FF yet not one of them can be bothered governing. A shocking outcome and clear contempt for those (arguably very deluded voters) that democratically elected them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Is it even a lockdown night if KiKi and Lainey aren’t fighting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Ace2007 wrote: »
    You can't do the continuous assessment part when the school year in pretty much over, I asked the poster for a solution to the problem we are in, because he says the actions of the government are shameful. It's easy to sit on the arm chair and give out - but there is not solution that anyone can come up with that is fair for the LC this year.

Well, I assume some of the teachers have a vague recollection of the kids capabilities over the year.

As for the matriculation bit, let the colleges set the entry exams. While their parents are in danger of losing their livelihoods or at least having them set back somewhat, a poxy litttle exam is of little consequence.

If one outcome of this pandemic is the end of the be-all and end all LC then I'll pop the champagne now. It's ruined enough people down the decades. I'm not one of them - I'm a fast study but I saw plenty of lives wrecked by the thing.

I wouldn't worry about the emotional little students rolled out for the cameras - they'll all become teachers and safely back in school for life in a few years no matter what.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement