Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,747 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

road_high wrote: »
    Not a peep out of the Mary lou one once the **** hit the fan- not so long ago she was touring the nation telling us how “she’d won the election”.
    Surely herself and all the other wasters could come together via Teams to push forward a grounding for a new government of “change” we were told was badly needed? As before the majority lies outside FG or FF yet not one of them can be bothered governing. A shocking outcome and clear contempt for those (arguably very deluded voters) that democratically elected them all.

There are too many politicians elected to sit in opposition, if FG/FF can't get enough independents/Greens or SD (lets group them as "others" to on in with them, then under what circumstances where these "others" willing to actually be in government, as if they all came together they could form a government with SF - but it seems that they don't want to do that either.

Actually madness to think we can elected someone and then they can be like na don't want to be in government, I'm happy to sit in opposition, as life is easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

kravmaga wrote: »
    Yes but Poland just like the Czech Republic locked down their respective borders faster than any other European country including ourselves

Ive been in both countries many times over the years and when they plan to do something they do it, unlike in Ireland , too much talk no action.

Both countries are well ahead of Ireland and have had a lower death rate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_Poland

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_the_Czech_Republic

I know all about Poland my wife is polish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Ace2007 wrote: »
    There are too many politicians elected to sit in opposition, if FG/FF can't get enough independents/Greens or SD (lets group them as "others" to on in with them, then under what circumstances where these "others" willing to actually be in government, as if they all came together they could form a government with SF - but it seems that they don't want to do that either.

Actually madness to think we can elected someone and then they can be like na don't want to be in government, I'm happy to sit in opposition, as life is easier.

We actually do need an opposition. It'll be a stronger one with SF there and far safer for them. God help us if they had to do something. It might even prove unpopular.

We actually do need an opposition. It'll be a stronger one with SF there and far safer for them. God help us if they had to do something. It might even prove unpopular.

While we need an opposition, you have a certain cohort of groups that will never enter government - if your not going to have the balls and stand up and be counted, do you have a right to sit in opposition and constantly give out?

SF know that they do not want to be in government right now, or even in the next 2/3 years - they know it's political suicide - and hence you rarely hear of them these days, but the problem they have is that if FF/FG don't get a government and we get another election - they will have to decide - do we run enough candidates to potential go into government, and if not - how do they handle that in the media - because they perform so well last time. I actually think they wold lose seats if there was another election, but again that wouldn't mind, as would mean not being in government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Well, I assume some of the teachers have a vague recollection of the kids capabilities over the year.

As for the matriculation bit, let the colleges set the entry exams. While their parents are in danger of losing their livelihoods or at least having them set back somewhat, a poxy litttle exam is of little consequence.

If one outcome of this pandemic is the end of the be-all and end all LC then I'll pop the champagne now. It's ruined enough people down the decades. I'm not one of them - I'm a fast study but I saw plenty of lives wrecked by the thing.

I wouldn't worry about the emotional little students rolled out for the cameras - they'll all become teachers and safely back in school for life in a few years no matter what.

I agree , in the scheme of things the LC is not significant , many options are only , predicted grades , autumn exams , delay college dates, bring back the matriculation etc. It’s simply not difficult to solve. There are seriously bigger fish to fry , like ensuring there’s an economy to go back too etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

BoatMad wrote: »
    I see several countries , Denmark , Austria , Norway , Czech Rep are about to relax, in a small way some of the restrictions , I can’t see us being too far behind that curve.

All of these countries have sensibly closed their borders. Ours are still completely open and until that continues, the virus is still coming in and lockdown will have to continue

keynes wrote: »
    All of these countries have sensibly closed their borders. Ours are still completely open and until that continues, the virus is still coming in and lockdown will have to continue

Traffic into Ireland is down 95% and those countries did not hermetically seal their borders either

Ours are not “ completely open “ that’s nonsense ( see traffic figures ) , the virus is in the community , the issue here isn’t imported virus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

This is not the thread for it - but the way you go on about the first couple for instance - they are living a lifestyle that perhaps they didn't need - the mansion of a house, 2 SUV's, kids enjoying the best of everything. Did this couple not learn anything from the crash in 2008?

It's very easy to blame governments/banks etc - but at what stage do people not have to take responsibility for their actions. Why didn't that couple maybe just get a normal size house, maybe not have 2 SUV's etc. Why do their kids think they need to best of everything. Why did they decide to get the hefty mortgage?

Why is it fair that some people who live beyond their means think that the banks should act with kindness when we get out of this mess, (all for the banks doing nothing during the mess), but if the couple learned nothing from the 2008 crash and thought of a rainy day fund - ideally 6 months worth of expenses), then they will never learn. One thing hopefully they do realise is that health is wealth.

I have friends who won't buy a house because they see it as being in debt for 30 years as a bad thing - I think throwing money away on rent is madness but they like the freedom.

Throwing money away on rent hang on here , you are getting something in return . secondly if a house you are interested in buying, drops a hundred k in a year , while you rent, you still think it's a waste renting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

This is fake news :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

While we need an opposition, you have a certain cohort of groups that will never enter government - if your not going to have the balls and stand up and be counted, do you have a right to sit in opposition and constantly give out?

SF know that they do not want to be in government right now, or even in the next 2/3 years - they know it's political suicide - and hence you rarely hear of them these days, but the problem they have is that if FF/FG don't get a government and we get another election - they will have to decide - do we run enough candidates to potential go into government, and if not - how do they handle that in the media - because they perform so well last time. I actually think they wold lose seats if there was another election, but again that wouldn't mind, as would mean not being in government.

I doubt there'll be an election nor a full five year government either. Probably a FF/FG coalition to steamroll through some very tough financial measures and dodge any blame by force of numbers.

Leo has admitted he's not interested in being a politician past the age of 50 (he's barely one now but I do believe him on that) and Micheal Martin will be in the big chair by May. He'll retire (possibly to the Park). New generation by then (with no Leaving Certs) and Mary Lou might have sufficiently banished the ghosts of the past to get the election she wants.

That's based on absolutely nothing because we're all going to die in the Plague.

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Throwing money away on rent hang on here , you are getting something in return . secondly if a house you are interested in buying, drops a hundred k in a year , while you rent, you still think it's a waste renting?

The people I mention in passing, have no intention of buying now or in the future - they predict that there will be countless recession between now and when they are old, and have the attitude why bother getting yourself into hundreds of thousands of euro in debt, and then have the worry if you can't pay it.

But my point in mentioning them was, why should those who buy a house and be totally irresponsible in there finances (based on the example in previous post, i.e. living well above their means), be bailed out by the banks financially in some way, whereas someone renting, will have to pay the same renting will get pretty much no leeway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

We are an island, we need to import stuff. Either by air or sea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

We are an island, we need to import stuff. Either by air or sea.

Yeah, goods not people.

Cupatae wrote: »
    Yeah, goods not people.

Isolation for 2 weeks , job done. Where would expect ex patriots to go?
    Were you happy for medics to return home, how do you think they got here, teleportation?

Isolation for 2 weeks , job done. Where would expect ex patriots to go?
    Were you happy for medics to return home, how do you think they got here, teleportation?

Yeah cause its all medics coming thru...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Yeah, goods not people.

People still need to travel, whether you like it or not. Plenty of Irish coming home.

The lockdown fervour from some people is unbelievable. Curtain twitchers and little Hitler's having a field day with these measures.

Yeah, goods not people.

Very few actually travelling

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    People still need to travel, whether you like it or not. Plenty of Irish coming home.

The lockdown fervour from some people is unbelievable. Curtain twitchers and little Hitler's having a field day with these measures.

You are assuming its only irish people, for the rest of the waffle about curtain twitchers and hitler... grow up for urself.

Yeah cause its all medics coming thru...:rolleyes:

I dealt with the first part of your response with isolation for 2 weeks. Where do you expect returning citizens to go, try and answer that without an adolescent emoji.

You are assuming its only irish people, for the rest of the waffle about curtain twitchers and hitler... grow up for urself.

So what if it isn't. People still need to travel, end of.

The world is still turning and essential people are still working and travelling. Get over yourself. Look after yourself and your own, don't mind what others are doing

• Advertisement

It's pathetic the behaviour and attitude of some. I hope they get a moment of reality and realise this won't last forever but their behaviour will be remembered by those that know them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

BoatMad wrote: »
    Very few actually travelling

Couldn't give two sh1ts how many are travelling. Question is, how many of these are FORCED into taking a test. That is the problem.

Danno wrote: »
    Couldn't give two sh1ts how many are travelling. Question is, how many of these are FORCED into taking a test. That is the problem.

Probably none, since they're not even testing people with symptoms at this stage.

If you're in an at risk group you should be completely isolating yourself as much as you can. The rest of us should be socially distancing, but working and living our lives as much as normal in line with govt rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

It's pathetic the behaviour and attitude of some. I hope they get a moment of reality and realise this won't last forever but their behaviour will be remembered by those that know them.

Agreed. I'll remember the people that couldn't heed some simple instructions to stay indoors unless they had essential trips to make.

Can you clarify who you are talking about and what behavior specifically? I believe ive seen quite a few posters on here post about your unpleasant negative posting style and you ve the neck to criticize others, shoot down every opinion that is different to yours, and then when you are factually proven wrong "Your Australia rant" you ask posters not to comment on your posts. :rolleyes:

So what if it isn't. People still need to travel, end of.

The world is still turning and essential people are still working and travelling. Get over yourself. Look after yourself and your own, don't mind what others are doing

Irish people cant travel to holiday homes within Ireland but your grand with ship loads coming from england... and naive enough to believe theya re all essential... wise up a small bit will ya.

If its not 100% essential they shouldn't be coming here end of.

Irish people cant travel to holiday homes within Ireland but your grand with ship loads coming from england... and naive enough to believe theya re all essential... wise up a small bit will ya.

If its not 100% essential they shouldn't be coming here end of.
    Ship loads? 26 people I believe are coming into Rosslare this weekend on Irish Ferries. All are deemed essential travel apparently.

Either way it's none of your business. Call the gardai if you have any issues. I'm sure you have your local station on speed dial.
    . Five passengers are due to travel on Saturday, seven on Sunday and fourteen on Monday.

He said that those passengers who have already travelled to Ireland from Wales were deemed to be taking essential travel.

“Some passengers were on the ferry because they couldn’t fly home, so people were meeting them at the port. We had people in a UK reg who were Irish, they were moving back to Ireland because they had lost work and then we had a couple of engineers coming over to fix equipment.

Can you clarify who you are talking about and what behavior specifically? I believe ive seen quite a few posters on here post about your unpleasant negative posting style and you ve the neck to criticize others, shoot down every opinion that is different to yours, and then when you are factually proven wrong "Your Australia rant" you ask posters not to comment on your posts. :rolleyes:
    Ok to work through your comment, I dealt with my Australian comment, immunity passports are being looked in Europe. Today's Indo, even posted a link further back. Only asked one poster not to comment to me Tell me how, I have no interest in being lectured by someone living vin America as to how I should feel under a lockdown in Ireland but I already said this to you.
    Lastly one poster accused me of being unpleasant and has apologised by PM.
    Hope this has dealt with your comment.

Ship loads? 26 people I believe are coming into Rosslare this weekend on Irish Ferries. All are deemed essential travel apparently.

Either way it's none of your business. Call the gardai if you have any issues. I'm sure you have your local station on speed dial.

Wonder how many of em will be tested and put in isolation, and ill decide whats my business not you.

• Advertisement

Ok to work through your comment, I dealt with my Australian comment, immunity passports are being looked in Europe. Today's Indo, even posted a link further back. Only asked one poster not to comment to me Tell me how, I have no interest in being lectured by someone living vin America as to how I should feel under a lockdown in Ireland but I already said this to you.
    Lastly one poster accused me of being unpleasant and has apologised by PM.
    Hope this has dealt with your comment.

You completely missed the first part can you work through that aswell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement