Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

The Chief medical officer told the nursing homes organisation they should not act unilaterally by stopping visitors to nursing homes. He f**ked that up spectacularly , guess where the clusters are? Mr Holohan CMO if you are interested.

Any link to to this specific statement?

Just for the sake of argumentation: https://nhi.ie/covid-19-coronavirus-nursing-home-care/ dated the 6th of March

With infinite money and people who were sheep they could release us in to the wild around 2025. Sense and sensibility would say that play was idiotic.

2025 ?? what drugs are you on tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    100% this. Do they want freedom or mass deaths? They need to choose

Lockdowns are to mitigate a virus, not stop it

This is going to go: surge --> lockdown --> lower daily cases and deaths --> restrictions lifted --> surge --> lockdown --> lower daily cases and deaths --> restrictions lifted --> surge --> lockdown --> lower daily cases and deaths --> restrictions lifted ...

For how long? Who knows. But probably a lot longer than any of us expected

The people arguing against what your saying literally cant understand that simple logic. To them, if it doesn't instantly work and defeat the virus for good its of no use...

"Let the old die and fire the auld economy back up lads! the lockdowns havent worked instantly!"

Cupatae wrote: »
    The people arguing against what your saying literally cant understand that simple logic. To them, if it doesn't instantly work and defeat the virus for good its of no use...

Shock, horror others have a different opinion. Welcome to life and the real world.
    It must be great to be an expert with a knowledge of the future.

• Advertisement

Shock, horror others have a different opinion. Welcome to life and the real world.
    It must be great to be an expert with a knowledge of the future.

I asked you politely not to comment on my posts anymore :D:D

P.s You could heed your own advice good lad.

Firstly these words were on the 10th of March, when Ireland had 34 cases only and he said and I quote "Asked whether schools would be closed to curb the spread of the virus, the State’s chief medical officer Dr Tony Holohan said such a measure could be deployed “at some point in time” depending on what happened, “but that time is not necessarily now”.

Blanket restrictions in place on visiting at nursing homes and some hospitals, aimed at curbing the risk of infection, should be lifted, Dr Holohan said.

Dr Holohan said visitor restrictions – which were introduced in private nursing homes across the State earlier this week – had a major impact on residents, for whom social interaction was a key part of wellbeing.

While restrictions might be necessary in a particular nursing home depending on circumstances, Dr Holohan said there was no case for across-the-board restrictions. “We want to avoid introducing measures before they are really necessary,” he said.
    "

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-biggest-daily-increase-as-10-new-cases-confirmed-1.4198481

I am not defending anyone but on the 10th of March pubs were full, schools were open and life was normal so there was no restrictions whatsoever...did I miss anything??

Cupatae wrote: »
    I asked you politely not to comment on my posts anymore :D:D

P.s You could heed your own advice good lad.

If you did I didn't see your request so no problem I won't respond to you again , I hope you can reciprocate.

alwald wrote: »
    Firstly these words were on the 10th of March, when Ireland had 34 cases only and he said and I quote "Asked whether schools would be closed to curb the spread of the virus, the State’s chief medical officer Dr Tony Holohan said such a measure could be deployed “at some point in time” depending on what happened, “but that time is not necessarily now”.

Blanket restrictions in place on visiting at nursing homes and some hospitals, aimed at curbing the risk of infection, should be lifted, Dr Holohan said.

Dr Holohan said visitor restrictions – which were introduced in private nursing homes across the State earlier this week – had a major impact on residents, for whom social interaction was a key part of wellbeing.

While restrictions might be necessary in a particular nursing home depending on circumstances, Dr Holohan said there was no case for across-the-board restrictions. “We want to avoid introducing measures before they are really necessary,” he said.
    "

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-biggest-daily-increase-as-10-new-cases-confirmed-1.4198481

I am not defending anyone but on the 10th of March pubs were full, schools were open and life was normal so there was no restrictions whatsoever...did I miss anything??

How was Italy on the 10th of March?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

How was Italy on the 10th of March?

Circa 10k cases, 631 deaths.

Still wasn't in lockdown.

• Advertisement

Circa 10k cases, 631 deaths.

Still wasn't in lockdown.

How's life in America. My response to you every time you respond. Only in CAPs.

How's life in America. My response to you every time you respond.

Still haven't figured out how discussions work I see.

Life in America is similar to Ireland at the moment. Lots of unknowns, nervousness but overall still, where I am, a recognition that the health of society is what is most important.

Still haven't figured out how discussions work I see.

Life in America is similar to Ireland at the moment. Lots of unknowns, nervousness but overall still, where I am, a recognition that the health of society is what is most important.

HOWS LIFE IN AMERICA.
    Each and every time you respond ;-)

HOWS LIFE IN AMERICA.

Add a question mark if you really want to know, otherwise it just looks like you are shouting in to the void.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

This thread is a joy to read. Everyone being respectful of other opinions and finding common ground in a sensible manner.
    If only society as a whole was like this, it would make combating this virus much more organised and successful.

What part of you do not get to speak for everyone do you not understand?

Didn't you speak for all young people not caring about elderly they have no connection with and not putting there lives on hold ECT... Earlier in the thread ?

Do you try to be a hypocrite or does it just happen naturally for you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i think restrictions will be lifted slowly from may 5th , every fortnight, schools will remain shut, leaving certs maybe back late may for two weeks of a heads up on LC then sent packing for the summer not a hope teachers will be in over summer. rest of kids schools out at end of may id say, all the home schooling done in line with school year. i think things will be up and running agin by mid june, pubs the lot. over 70s will be advised to cocoon. herd immunity will mean we prob wont have huge death surge after the next fortnight. i think the surge is now.

It seems leaving cert has been postponed until late July - August which is ambitious enough.

Just can’t see pubs being reopened by June, the pub environment goes against the whole fabric of social distance and even though the numbers might improve they closed down the country for 6 weeks and they are not going wreck that by opening pubs...same goes for international travel and international visitors.

Herd immunity only work if over 60% population have immunity, so correct case numbers would need to be over 2.5million cases where at the moment it’s only 6500 but we know it’s a lot higher but no where near it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

HOWS LIFE IN AMERICA.

Mod: No you won't. Don't post in the thread again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

Those who back this indefinite lockdown
    How are you coping with what faces the economy
    Are you not worried about your job and you children’s future
    I need to know more about posters so I can understand there reasoning

Can I ask what is your personal situation
    Before lockdown were you working in private sector, a student, on benefits, a public sector employee, receiving a pension, a renter, a mortgage holder, where you live

I work in finance, live in rural tipp, bought my home outright with money I earned working in Australia in mining,
    We are still working and my job is safe but I expect to be told to take a 20% pay cut next month
    And in December I expect government to raise taxes across the board and to slash public expenditure
    The effects will be brutal and that is why we need to open immediately
    The results of 2008 in my local town Were harrowing with many unemployed and suicides jumped but it took 3 years for me to accept that the main result of 2008 was rural Ireland took one hell of a beating and government did not care
    The longer the lockdown lasts the very real chance What wealth is left in small towns and villages will disappear forever.
    Instead of 10,000 or 20,000 dead nationally you will have many villages and towns turned into wastelands and the results of that will be with us for many years to come

We must open up fully For the good of the nation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Before lockdown were you working in private sector, a student, on benefits, a public sector employee, receiving a pension, a renter, a mortgage holder, where you live

I work in finance, live in rural tipp, bought my home outright with money I earned working in Australia in mining,
    We are still working and my job is safe but I expect to be told to take a 20% pay cut next month
    And in December I expect government to raise taxes across the board and to slash public expenditure
    The results of 2008 in my local town Were harrowing with many unemployed and suicides jumped but it took 3 years for me to accept that the main result of 2008 was rural Ireland took one hell of a beating and government did not care
    The longer the lockdown lasts the very real chance What wealth is left in small towns and villages will disappear forever.
    Instead of 10,000 or 20,000 dead nationally you will have many villages and towns turned into wastelands and the results of that will be with us for many years to come

Nope there will not be austerity - government will not raise taxes.

Ecb rate is -.75% we will borrow along with every other country in the world who will print money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Nope there will not be austerity - government will not raise taxes.

Ecb rate is -.75% we will borrow along with every other country in the world who will print money.

If you believe that then I can ask have you lived in Ireland very long? The default button here has always been to raise taxes on the usual cash cows. I can’t see why it’ll be any different this time. The costs will be massive.
    I’m very worried about the economy like a previous poster outlined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Penfailed

When? ...and when you say, "fully," do you mean everything? Pubs, gigs, football matches, etc?
    "For the good of the nation." What about all the people who will inevitably die? It won't matter if the whole country opens up fully now anyway. The damage is already done...globally. It's a global economy now.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

I’m a single, self-employed person who isn’t a homeowner. I’m from rural Ireland and I live in Dublin and I love both places. This crisis has probably shot my chance of buying a house any time soon to bits. I work in a field that is often one of the first to see budget cuts in situations like this.

Of course I’m scared for my financial future. Far more so than I am scared of catching the virus myself. I’m in my early 30s with no underlying medical issue so I’d more than likely be absolutely fine.

But I can’t just think about it in terms of me.

We rebuilt after 2008 and we’ll rebuild again. The rural communities you’re talking about protecting are full of older people at great risk of this virus.

I’m in the private sector, Mid 30s in the chemical industry and on a decent salary with good benefits. I’ve managed to keep working away as we are part of the critical supply chain. I’ve got a modest enough house and mortgage.
    I was in the public service last recession on fixed term and lost my job that time. So I’m naturally very cautious and terrified of this as I did suffer but not in the severe way others like you outline did.
    I too am very worried. There’s so many jobs not coming back anytime soon and i know personally the lives and responsibilities behind each of these. People not in their wildest dreams would be out of work
    I support a short term lockdown but think the current ones are overly severe eg hardware stores and the like could easily be open and or offer click/call and collect. I feel there’s little balance going on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

They haven't a notion of just opening up everything at once, it would land us back to square one and we would end up with a much longer lockdown.

It's better in the long run to take the pain now and gradually get back to normal over a few months.

They haven't a notion of just opening up everything at once, it would land us back to square one and we would end up with a much longer lockdown.

It's better in the long run to take the pain now and gradually get back to normal over a few months.

No one is advocating that. But small reopenings would be good for the economy and the nations morale also

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

road_high wrote: »
    No one is advocating that. But small reopenings would be good for the economy and the nations morale also

What are small reopenings? Which business types?

I see hardware centres being mentioned over and over.
    Anything else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭appledrop

I really dont understand why hardware shops couldnt open in a controlled manner.

After spending 2 weeks queuing for over an hour for groceries + definitely not properly controlled for social distance, how could going to a huge B&Q warehouse for supplies be putting you more st risk?

It would give people something to do. People are cracking up at home. A lot of people take holidays at Easter + some employers have still enforced this even though nowhere to go + nothing to do. At least if they could do a few jobs around the house it would be worth it when this is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Chances of infection on a trip like that? Assuming he's driving and it's left outside or social distance practiced, next to none.

I don't get the outrage

Indeed less outrage plz!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Blueshoe wrote: »
    What are small reopenings? Which business types?

I see hardware centres being mentioned over and over.
    Anything else?
    Hardware stores/coops/general stores - there are quite a lot of these around, most are big and spacious, and would be useful for those of us who have a lengthy DIY list but no supplies

Electronics & electrical stores - lot of these are warehouse type operations and are able to practice social distancing.

Bookshops & newsagents - plenty of people reading atm who might have run out of material

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement