Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Blueshoe wrote: »
    What are small reopenings? Which business types?

I see hardware centres being mentioned over and over.
    Anything else?

Garden centres would fall under the same category. It would be more appropriate for the individuals actually working in different areas to advise than me I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Thingymebob

I hope they’ll do a very gradual opening up, but it’s easy for most people to say ‘open with social distancing principles in practice’.

Himself works in a workshop, about 400sqm with just 4 people onsite. They use PPE as part of their jobs regardless. In theory they could re-open easily but it’s the associated activities, deliveries, customer interactions etc that will prove to be problematic.

Me, I’m in an office based role. My own office is shared with five others. My desk is beside the office entry door, no one can give me 75cm let alone 2m when passing my desk. I walk out into the hallway, and I’m immediately in contact with potentially 4,000 people who are based in my building.

I think it’s difficult to make blanket statements as it’s challenging to measure all work places equally.

Also, you’ve got a lot of individual employees who won’t fit the mould easily either. Telling a group to go back to work, yet if they don’t have access to their usual supports like childcare will be problematic. We don’t have children, but I’m considered vulnerable due to medication and two autoimmune conditions. On a day to day basis I’m good, everything under control, but this isn’t normal day to day. I don’t want the world shut down permanently either.

I’ll be honest, I wouldn’t want to be a politician or senior advisor because I think whatever is done, there will be criticism in years to come,

appledrop wrote: »
    I really dont understand why hardware shops couldnt open in a controlled manner.

After spending 2 weeks queuing for over an hour for groceries + definitely not properly controlled for social distance, how could going to a huge B&Q warehouse for supplies be putting you more st risk?

It would give people something to do. People are cracking up at home. A lot of people take holidays at Easter + some employers have still enforced this even though nowhere to go + nothing to do. At least if they could do a few jobs around the house it would be worth it when this is over.

My local Woodies DIY is a massive store. Many times the size of an Aldi or Lidl with way less customers. Social distancing is no problem now or pre crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Those who back this indefinite lockdown
    How are you coping with what faces the economy
    Are you not worried about your job and you children’s future
    I need to know more about posters so I can understand there reasoning

Can I ask what is your personal situation
    Before lockdown were you working in private sector, a student, on benefits, a public sector employee, receiving a pension, a renter, a mortgage holder, where you live

I work in finance, live in rural tipp, bought my home outright with money I earned working in Australia in mining,
    We are still working and my job is safe but I expect to be told to take a 20% pay cut next month
    And in December I expect government to raise taxes across the board and to slash public expenditure
    The effects will be brutal and that is why we need to open immediately
    The results of 2008 in my local town Were harrowing with many unemployed and suicides jumped but it took 3 years for me to accept that the main result of 2008 was rural Ireland took one hell of a beating and government did not care
    The longer the lockdown lasts the very real chance What wealth is left in small towns and villages will disappear forever.
    Instead of 10,000 or 20,000 dead nationally you will have many villages and towns turned into wastelands and the results of that will be with us for many years to come

We must open up fully For the good of the nation

:pac: It's like that arcade game where you bash a pop up shark with a hammer and another one pops up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Blueshoe wrote: »
    What are small reopenings? Which business types?

I see hardware centres being mentioned over and over.
    Anything else?

Building sites, these projects will be the first to be pulled unless started soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

The end of today was meant to be original end of lockdown

24 days to go to the next deadline

Prob 21 to the next announcement of another extension

Doing really well folks just not well enough

Rinse and repeat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Rinse and repeat

The more some people ignore the current restrictions the longer they will remain in place. As an old boss of mine used to say it`s not rocket science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭appledrop

Rinse and repeat

God when its put like that its very depressing.

I think if they had of starting opening say just hardware shops this week it would give people some hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

road_high wrote: »
    No one is advocating that. But small reopenings would be good for the economy and the nations morale also

The guy I quoted said everything should open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Rinse and repeat

Our stats have improved dramatically since the announcement of the lockdown. The growth of the virus has been slowed significantly. Next step is seeing the flattening and decrease of numbers.

• Advertisement

The more some people ignore the current restrictions the longer they will remain in place. As an old boss of mine used to say it`s not rocket science.

100%

Hard on those who are doing what we are instructed

Some people just don't care

There was a story yesterday that the guards stopped a fella travelling from Tipp to Limerick to buy a trampoline

KiKi III wrote: »
    Our stats have improved dramatically since the announcement of the lockdown. The growth of the virus has been slowed significantly. Next step is seeing the flattening and decrease of numbers.

I'm not sure we have seen the benefit of the lockdown yet as testing and test results are a few weeks behind

Prob the March 12th - 28th restrictions

Hopefully the lockdown can be seen shortly

That's bull****, you cant keep punishing the majority because of a tiny minority. It wont work, some people will ignore the current restrictions no matter what the situation or penalties.

100%

Hard on those who are doing what we are instructed

Some people just don't care

There was a story yesterday that the guards stopped a fella travelling from Tipp to Limerick to buy a trampoline

Are trampolines highly infectious or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭donaghs

It has to end at some point, even if its a result of public anger from mass unemployment. The unemployment rate in the US has gone from 3.5% in Feb, to 13% this week. The fastest ever unemployment growth in US history. We are all on some stage of the recession/depression pipeline.

How does a government or health service function without a tax base?

Again very few are- there’s nothing open. Travel is severely restricted. It’s impossible to ignore the restrictions as you can’t go to a closed pub, shopping centre or blockaded beach.
    If the current restrictions don’t curb the disease then we have a big problem because there’s nothing else left to do

niallo27 wrote: »
    That's bull****, you cant keep punishing the majority because of a tiny minority. It wont work, some people will ignore the current restrictions no matter what the situation or penalties.

In that case the current penalties need to be strictly implemented and if that doesn`t work introduce harsher measures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭Touchee

Early 30s, already took a 20% paycut, can work from home but the company’s business model is the sale of products to businesses that are now closed for the foreseeable future, which means jobs losses and more paycuts in the near future.

Rent is €2200 per month, so we are quite worried, hopefully restrictions will start to be lifted after 5th May.

If we both lose our jobs, we could barely cover the rent.

It’s hard to say what is the right course of action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

niallo27 wrote: »
    Are trampolines highly infectious or something.

I heard the Virus just keeps bouncing back....

In that case the current penalties need to be strictly implemented and if that doesn`t work introduce harsher measures.

What would you like? Socially isolated hard labour?

• Advertisement

I'm not sure we have seen the benefit of the lockdown yet as testing and test results are a few weeks behind

Prob the March 12th - 28th restrictions

Hopefully the lockdown can be seen shortly

What do expect to get from our testing system? Its wasnt as bad as the UK, but its only testing people who are referred by GPs with symptoms. And as you can see anecdotally and on boards.ie, lots of people have had their test delayed by weeks, and then cancelled. What conclusion about Covid in Ireland can you hope to get from the data on "cases"?

Again very few are- there’s nothing open. Travel is severely restricted. It’s impossible to ignore the restrictions as you can’t go to a closed pub, shopping centre or blockaded beach.
    If the current restrictions don’t curb the disease then we have a big problem because there’s nothing else left to do

There are actually several more restrictions that could be implemented if it`s decided they are necessary.

Touchee wrote: »
    Early 30s, already took a 20% paycut, can work from home but the company’s business model is the sale of products to businesses that are now closed for the foreseeable future, which means jobs losses and more paycuts in the near future.

Rent is €2200 per month, so we are quite worried, hopefully restrictions will start to be lifted after 5th May.

If we both lose our jobs, we could barely cover the rent.

It’s hard to say what is the right course of action.

Tens of thousands like you unfortunately or worse. Unemployment could easily top 30-40% if this goes much longer at least shorter term

There are actually several more restrictions that could be implemented if it`s decided they are necessary.

Such as? And let us know why they’re necessary from a medical standpoint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

What would you like? Socially isolated hard labour?

Better than letting thick cúnts spread it wildly. Do you generally oppose the idea of following regulations and restrictions?

donaghs wrote: »
    What do expect to get from our testing system? Its wasnt as bad as the UK, but its only testing people who are referred by GPs with symptoms. And as you can see anecdotally and on boards.ie, lots of people have had their test delayed by weeks, and then cancelled. What conclusion about Covid in Ireland can you hope to get from the data on "cases"?

Well the cases, hospitals admissions and deaths are being used to extend the restrictions

Hopefully they can increase testing and decrease results time to get better fugures

If they are using positive results to extend restrictions they need to be as accurate as possible

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭Jenbach110

For what reason were the restrictions continued until May 5th?
    ICU still has bed capacity, death rates are managable.
    Was that not our goal?
    Why would hardware outlets need to remain closed?
    A variety of business could be restarted.
    Is there any chance these restrictions could be reviewed?

Basically that we are doing very well but not where we need to be to lift restrictions

appledrop wrote: »
    God when its put like that its very depressing.

I think if they had of starting opening say just hardware shops this week it would give people some hope.

Indeed. They doubled down on the restrictions with a big truncheon instead.

• Advertisement

Nope there will not be austerity - government will not raise taxes.

Ecb rate is -.75% we will borrow along with every other country in the world who will print money.

Amazing no-one thought of this before in world history?

Sounds like Stagflation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement