Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭Jenbach110

jmayo wrote: »
    Kermit you are wasting your time trying to explain stuff to some people.

There are more than a few posters, and people out there, who see this as a problem that affects someone else and not them.
    They see it as a major concern for older elderly people and those with compromised immune systems, etc.
    They are young healthy and thus don't see why there are restrictions on them.
    And they look at what effects it is having on their pockets and their future earnings.

You have muppets that think the numbers should fall overnight once lockdown of some sort is in place.
    You have those that think the hospitals will be fine as it is only old and sick people that will need to get treatment.
    And they will be conveniently locked away out of sight.
    Sure anyway the staff can't get it as they are healthy. :rolleyes:

Then you have the ones that think the rules should not apply to them.
    They have right to sit in park on their own, go visit beach or beauty spot.
    But they never think what happens when all the other me feiners decide to do likewise.:rolleyes:

Some of these believ they have a right to go visit their holiday home.
    And why the fook should the natives mind standing in a long queue for essentials in a local shop as afteral the blowins will only be in there for a minute to get their ice creams.

Yes that sh** has supposedly happened in small village in South East.

You have a staggering amount of generalisations here.

I have seen very few posters suggesting they want go to a beach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭donaghs

In other words we are buying time for the HSE to get it's house in order.
    They currently have no idea if the restriction measures have been working because the tests coming back are from people infected weeks and in some cases months ago.

That's how I understand it.

You only get test if you contact GP and they refer you. Thousands of tests were cancelled also. https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/thousands-have-tests-cancelled-after-change-to-target-those-at-greater-risk-39080350.html

How do you make a realistic model with this data?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

road_high wrote: »
    And there in lies the problem. We have not performed well with testing. Did no one calculate how much reagent, kits and lab capacity we had before opening all these “test centres” that have been often idle?

I think there was poor understanding of the capabilities, the reagent is only part of the problem Germany, S.Korea, Australia, UAE and a few other countries didn’t suffer to the same extent from the same lack of testing.

Sure Leo said Ireland should follow S.Korea model. The difference is S.Korea had a diverse arsenal of up to date high throughput Instrumentation, they were not relying on one platform supplier of smaller instruments that is more common in other countries that resulted in the bottle necks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Jenbach110 wrote: »
    Why would you be in favour of something like this?

I never stated I was in favour of them. I`m saying they could become necessary if people ignore the restrictions that are already in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Even Spain are lifting restrictions come Monday .
    They are easing restrctions, not lifting them.

Spain have had far more stringent restrictions than Ireland. Only grocery stores and pharmacies have been open there.

Meanwhile our list of 'essential' services is pretty comprehensive. The manufacturing sector is still in operation. Spain are only allowing their factories to open from Monday - most of them never closed here.

It says a lot about the make up of opinion on this thread.

The first one liner post with no back up or link or context get 4 Thanks. The second far more comprehensive post gets only 1 Thank (so far) from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

niallo27 wrote: »
    When a poster says about lifting restrictions, they mean relaxing the restrictions a certain degree and not completely remove them.

We tried relaxed and requesting people to do stuff.
    A lot ignored it so it became tighter.
    donaghs wrote: »
    gr

No one knows how bad things can get, but deliberating sending the world into a new Great Depression, goes beyond "what effects it is having on their pockets and their future earnings".

The last recession started in 2008, most people didn't feel the effects till 2009. Four weeks into the lockdown, people are taking pay cuts, business are closing for good. You don't think this could have serious health/mortality implications for people?

Again, its about figuring out an exit strategy, gradually opening up, accepting that this virus here to stay, that we can't make a vaccine in a year.

That we may have to accept a slightly higher death rate this year, to try and prevent a situation in future where we can no longer provide health care for everyone for how many years the next recession/depression takes.

So if Ireland opens up we will prevent a worldwide depression.

I just love how this is now dressed up about having to open up to save our future health care system or save the mental health of those in lockdown. :rolleyes:
    Why the fook can't people just have the balls to admit they just care about themselves and not pretend they care about the health of anyone, now or in the future.

BTW we won't have much of a healthcare system when we have dying doctors and nurses resulting from a totally overwhelmed healthcare system if this virus is just allowed go almost totally unchecked.

Jenbach110 wrote: »
    You have a staggering amount of generalisations here.

I have seen few posters suggesting they want go to a beach.

Well before we had tight restrictions on travel beaches were crawling with people.
    We had beauty spots overrun with dumped cars, blocking emergency personnel access.
    And even this weekend we have small communities full of holiday home owners.

So they may be generalisations to you, but they are based on facts.

And we had poster all week complaining about not being allowed sit in the park.

A fair few people are thick and appear to think the requests didn't apply to them.
    Then they became rules and regulations because asking a lot of thickos nicely did not work.
    And even since they became rules, some thickos still think they are above the law.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

You only get test if you contact GP and they refer you. Thousands of tests were cancelled also. https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/thousands-have-tests-cancelled-after-change-to-target-those-at-greater-risk-39080350.html

How do you make a realistic model with this data?

Yes and by only testing those 'at greater risk' we are missing the majority and getting ridiculously inflated hospitalisation, ICU and death rates.

I just hope in 3 weeks that we can get to a point where, as we were told, we would 'test,test test' and get 15,000 tests per day with a quick turn over from referral to results.

Otherwise we will just continue to get false and wishy-washy statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

jmayo wrote: »
    We tried relaxed and requesting people to do stuff.
    A lot ignored it so it became tighter.

So if Ireland opens up we will prevent a worldwide depression.

I just love how this is now dressed up about having to open up to save our future health care system or save the mental health of those in lockdown. :rolleyes:
    Why the fook can't people just have the balls to admit they just care about themselves and not pretend they care about the health of anyone, now or in the future.

BTW we won't have much of a healthcare system when we have dying doctors and nurses resulting from a totally overwhelmed healthcare system if this virus is just allowed go almost totally unchecked.

Well before we had tight restrictions on travel beaches were crawling with people.
    We had beauty spots overrun with dumped cars, blocking emergency personnel access.
    And even this weekend we have small communities full of holiday home owners.

So they may be generalisations to you, but they are based on facts.

And we had poster all week complaining about not being allowed sit in the park.

A fair few people are thick and appear to think the requests didn't apply to them.
    Then they became rules and regulations because asking a lot of thickos nicely did not work.
    And even since they became rules, some thickos still think they are above the law.

I think you need to go for a walk and stop posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,809 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Singapore and Hong Kong have been forced to reintroduce restrictions that had been lifted due to a rise in cases.

No western country wants to get in to this cycle of opening up and shutting down a week or two later. It would be horrendous.

This is about buying time to a vaccine ultimately and how to best manage in the interim.

We need to get our house in order in terms of testing and intervention as Dr Holohan keeps saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭seamusk84

I just want to get a haircut and then have an afternoon pint in the pub after my walk.

Bloody hell I miss the simple things!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Yes and by only testing those 'at greater risk' we are missing the majority and getting ridiculously inflated hospitalisation, ICU and death rates.

I just hope in 3 weeks that we can get to a point where, as we were told, we would 'test,test test' and get 15,000 tests per day with a quick turn over from referral to results.

Otherwise we will just continue to get false and wishy-washy statistics.

Exactly.

It’s not talked about as much on here but widespread testing with results in 48 hours max (ideally 24) plus scaled up contact tracing will be crucial to the easing of restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

In a recession, public healthcare will have cut-backs. Nobody wants this, but its happened every time. Lots of people won't be able to afford private health insurance. Suicides, substance abuse, etc etc.

Life expectancy will suffer, depending on how bad the recession is. The question is where, but at some point, the economic devastation and its impact on the mortality rate will be worse than Covid.

The worlds population is currently highest in history.

If this virus was naturally occurring (rather than conspiracy by China) then it’s a test of nature, the strong will survive the virus and the fallout.

Everyone wants to be in the strong camp and that’s the problem, who here is willing to sacrifice their family so everyone else can have theirs?

SNNUS wrote: »
    You are sentencing everyone to prison even though they are following the guidelines. The 5% who can't be policed will not change no matter what restrictions are put in place . stop scaremongering those who are conforming.

Why should anyone who is obeying the current restrictions be afraid of facing prison and/or fines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Singapore and Hong Kong have been forced to reintroduce restrictions that had been lifted due to a rise in cases.
    No western country wants to get in to this cycle of opening up and shutting down a week or two later. It would be horrendous.
    This is about buying time to a vaccine ultimately and how to best manage in the interim.
    We need to get our house in order in terms of testing and intervention as Dr Holohan keeps saying.

You've asked and answered your own statements in that post..

It's a fact that the world is going to go through a cycle of lockdowns > lifting of restrictions > rise in cases > lockdowns > lifting.. and so on... that's the accepted way this is going to play out.
    Otherwise it will be a full lockdown until a vaccine is found, which could be this time next year.

KiKi III wrote: »
    Exactly.

It’s not talked about as much on here but widespread testing with results in 48 hours max (ideally 24) plus scaled up contact tracing will be crucial to the easing of restrictions.

How far away are we from this, for a country that produces so much high end medical devices we are terrible at rolling out measures like these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Between drones, robots etc, many of the vulnerable don't even need to come into contact with people ! Of course , we will be years behind!

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2020/0407/1129013-drones-robots-automation-coronavirus/

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Why should anyone who is obeying the current restrictions be afraid of facing prison and/or fines?

Yes the current restrictions, you mentioned zero exercise and limited shops runs.. They are not the current restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

How far away are we from this, for a country that produces so much high end medical devices we are terrible at rolling out measures like these.

Harris says next week but it’s hard to know how true that is at this stage.

It’s a global competition for the tests and reagent; I don’t think it’s so much to do with us being crap.

KiKi III wrote: »
    Harris says next week but it’s hard to know how true that is at this stage.

It’s a global competition for the tests and reagent; I don’t think it’s so much to do with us being crap.

I would fear for us to have anything like this in place by may 5th. I do think come the 5th they have to give the people some bit of incentive that all this is working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

2011 wrote: »
    Not quite.
    There is a lot of confusion about this term.

Take a set of numbers:

Mean = average = add all the numbers together and divide by the number of numbers.

Median = list all of the numbers in numerical order from smallest to largest and the median is the middle value.

Mode = the number that occurs most times

Yes I seen one obviously googled, copied and pasted post about this somewhere, but no explanation.

• Advertisement

SNNUS wrote: »
    Yes the current restrictions, you mentioned zero exercise and limited shops runs.. They are not the current restrictions.

As I already stated I hope those stricter measures don`t become necessary but if too many muppets continue to ignore what is in place now there is a high likelihood that they will.

Those who back this indefinite lockdown
    How are you coping with what faces the economy
    Are you not worried about your job and you children’s future
    I need to know more about posters so I can understand there reasoning

Can I ask what is your personal situation
    Before lockdown were you working in private sector, a student, on benefits, a public sector employee, receiving a pension, a renter, a mortgage holder, where you live

I work in finance, live in rural tipp, bought my home outright with money I earned working in Australia in mining,
    We are still working and my job is safe but I expect to be told to take a 20% pay cut next month
    And in December I expect government to raise taxes across the board and to slash public expenditure
    The effects will be brutal and that is why we need to open immediately
    The results of 2008 in my local town Were harrowing with many unemployed and suicides jumped but it took 3 years for me to accept that the main result of 2008 was rural Ireland took one hell of a beating and government did not care
    The longer the lockdown lasts the very real chance What wealth is left in small towns and villages will disappear forever.
    Instead of 10,000 or 20,000 dead nationally you will have many villages and towns turned into wastelands and the results of that will be with us for many years to come

We must open up fully For the good of the nation

I'm 29,rent an apartment and have faced a 20% salary cut. I also have a chronic illness but realistically wouldn't be in the cocooning category. I view the lockdown as entirely necessary and every economy is gonna crash from this. Nobody is backing an indefinite lockdown btw but most with any sense view it as incredibly dangerous to restart it in the morning. I'm still working btw but our profit margins will be hit by the global economy and this applies to a huge amount of businesses.

And also you seem to have a complete disregard for both the lives of the vulnerable and those on the frontlines.

As I already stated I hope those stricter measures don`t become necessary but if too many muppets continue to ignore what is in place now there is a high likelihood that they will.

So you think it's fair to punish the 99% because of the 1%, thank **** you are not in charge.

So you think it's fair to punish the 99% because of the 1%, thank **** you are not in charge.

If the one percent manage to negatively impact the situation, yes absolutely. It's not a matter of punishing, it's a matter of not collapsing our entire healthcare system and causing immense damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I'm 29,rent an apartment and have faced a 20% salary cut. I also have a chronic illness but realistically wouldn't be in the cocooning category. I view the lockdown as entirely necessary and every economy is gonna crash from this. Nobody is backing an indefinite lockdown btw but most with any sense view it as incredibly dangerous to restart it in the morning. I'm still working btw but our profit margins will be hit by the global economy and this applies to a huge amount of businesses.

And also you seem to have a complete disregard for both the lives of the vulnerable and those on the frontlines.

Ignore him. He's just another sock puppet that has popped up on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭skallywag

Take a read of his post again, I think you may have possibly misunderstood?

As long as people actually behave themselves and do what the government is asking, then further measures should not be needed.

I think we may be thanking our lucky stars as well that you are not at the wheel, eh?

If the one percent manage to negatively impact the situation, yes absolutely.

You dont see any dangers or issues with this.

skallywag wrote: »
    Take a read of his post again, I think you may have possibly misunderstood?

As long as people actually behave themselves and do what the government is asking, then further measure should not be needed.

I think we may be thanking our lucky stars as well that you are not at the wheel, eh?

No, I know exactly what he is saying. There will always be a percentage that wont care about the rules. Do you actually think 100% of people will comply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Ignore him. He's just another sock puppet that has popped up on here.

Mod: @TheCitizen - if you have an issue with a post, report it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭skallywag

Do you actually think 100% of people will comply.

I think that other countries seem to have a far better level of compliance with restrictions than Ireland does. Take a look to Germany or Austria for example, they have been asked to do similar and somehow seem to be able to behave a lot better than Ireland, for whatever reason.

I would have no issue whatsoever with compliance being enforced with a heavier hand.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement