Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

KiKi III wrote: »
    Because we had a spike yesterday. Over 700 new cases today too.

You’re only looking at the bits of data you like.

I'm looking at the stable death numbers, the new cases is all over the place. We have tests back from germany and delayed testing, it's a joke. Deaths is the only stats we can go on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭Jenbach110

Because we had a spike yesterday.

But its the data thats available, and its 14 deaths.

Now if this decrease continues or remains stable in a trend over the next 7 days, I dont think the current level of restrictions remain justifiable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 MaureensFry

Hopefully by the end of May we can get back to normal with still some restrictions in place. E.G you can't leave your county of residence unless for work, people who can work from home still can.

Pubs and restraunts should be allowed to open and all other businesses.

Let the over 60's and people with underlying conditions self isolate until a vaccine is announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

What makes you think three nights in ICU is quick?

The average stay with Covid in ICU is 7-14 days I believe

We're clearly not following Italy's path and haven't been for some time now. Who in recent days has been saying we will have a similar experience to Italy?

It's perfectly plain to see what the measures we have introduced have significantly flattened the curve here. Our peak may be delayed but it will be nothing like Italy's.

Whose path are we following so. Has anybody a clue what we are hoping for or to be optimistic for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

niallo27 wrote: »
    I'm looking at the stable death numbers, the new cases is all over the place. We have tests back from germany and delayed testing, it's a joke. Deaths is the only stats we can go on.

But the death numbers haven’t been stable. We had a spike of 36 a few days ago then it was in the 20s for a few days then another spike at 33 yesterday and now 14 today.

Very encouraging but there is no trend in the number of deaths decreasing yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,210 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Because we had a spike yesterday. Over 700 new cases today too.

Its an artifical spike due to the German labs running through the backlog hopefully once we get through it we will go back to under 400 daily

Jenbach110 wrote: »
    But its the data thats available, and its 14 deaths.

Now if this decrease continues or remains stable in a trend over the next 7 days, I dont think the current level of restrictions remain justifiable.

Right, but why are you so focused on the number today and determinedly ignoring the spike to 33 yesterday?

Yes, if the numbers were 14 and lower over the next 7 days that would be very encouraging but you need to brace yourself for the fact that that’s fairly unlikely.

Hopefully by the end of May we can get back to normal with still some restrictions in place. E.G you can't leave your county of residence unless for work, people who can work from home still can.

Let the over 60's and people with underlying conditions self isolate until a vaccine is announced.

Do you honestly think over 60 and people with underlying conditions can isolate for up to 18 months ? It is almost unthinkable that so many people could live without family contact . Plus many many with underlying condition have small children who would also then need to be isolated for the same period

VinLieger wrote: »
    Its an artifical spike due to the German labs running through the backlog hopefully once we get through it we will go back to under 400 daily

That’s true, and also encouraging news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,927 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Do you honestly think over 60 and people with underlying conditions can isolate for up to 18 months ? It is almost unthinkable that so many people could live without family contact . Plus many many with underlying condition have small children who would also then need to be isolated for the same period
    And then the people bemoaning the lockdown will claim the lockdown is bad for mental health while wanting to impose a larger permanent lockdown on others so they can sate their greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

I don’t understand this question to the poster. Because it is difficult for over 60s to isolate and immunocompromised everyone should?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

Cupatae wrote: »
    Are you incapable of understanding why these things are in place?

Who'd run this police state? id imagine most gardai would walk rather than impose gestapo rules you seem to think will be... you forget there families are under the same rules aswell. Stop being daft and over the top with absolute nonsense.

Well we are being forced to isolate ourselves as is by the state and the Gardaí so I assume the same people doing this To us now would continue doing it to over 70s

many people in Ireland now are acting like sheep
    Why are they choosing this option is actually selfishness
    They have skin in the game and won’t he honest about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

What makes you think three nights in ICU is quick?

I think I read that the average is 15 nights.

Builders are an interesting example. Apparently a lot of building work relies on a buddy system where two people work together. Other than that distancing is possible but hard to enforce as it isn't part of normal routine.

Right, but why are you so focused on the number today and determinedly ignoring the spike to 33 yesterday?

Yes, if the numbers were 14 and lower over the next 7 days that would be very encouraging but you need to brace yourself for the fact that that’s fairly unlikely.

Because its measured data that we have.

Anything regarding death rate rising by any amount is speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

pjohnson wrote: »
    And then the people bemoaning the lockdown will claim the lockdown is bad for mental health while wanting to impose a larger permanent lockdown on others so they can sate their greed.

What greed, this is absolute rubbish. People have jobs, livelihoods, homes to pay for, the longer the lockdown goes on for the harder it will be to recover. Simple.

I don’t understand this question to the poster. Because it is difficult for over 60s to isolate and immunocompromised everyone should?

No , everyone stays in until the curve flattens . What the poster is suggesting is to open pubs etc thus letting the virus spread again , but that’s ok cos we lock the vulnerable in while the rest pop to the pub

There is also encouraging data around the rate of hospitalisation and need for ICU if these numbers are correct which it seems they are.

https://mobile.twitter.com/datavizireland?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1248292473476198400&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fembed.scribblelive.com%2Fwidgets%2Fembed%2Fpost.aspx%3Fpost-id%3D1187710614

If this is right, the restrictions are working really well. We should resist the illogical but tempting urge to say “these restrictions should be lifted because they are working really well.”

That would only result in us going back into another lockdown again, which would be really hard to take. Let’s get the job done now.

Yeah I share your approach here.

It seems the theory is, we cant isolate the vulnerable because its inhumane so we can only isolate everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

No , everyone stays in until the curve flattens . What the poster is suggesting is to open pubs etc thus letting the virus spread again , but that’s ok cos we lock the vulnerable in while the rest pop to the pub

I heard one of the many experts say that pubs would be last on the list as any distancing is impossible. The same applies to concerts, sports etc.

• Advertisement

Because its measured data that we have.

Anything regarding death rate rising by any amount is speculation.

That still doesn’t explain why you’ll only look at today’s deaths and not the trend over the last week. You’re only seeing what you want to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 MaureensFry

So just because the over 60's and people/families with underlying conditions have to self isolate everybody should? They'll have to wait for a vaccine unfortunatly.

I'm all for everyone to self isolate until the curve flattens but after that we need to get back to normal. Older people and people with underlying conditions will have to continue to self isolate until a vaccine is announced.

The curve by all accounts is flattened.
    In fact the infamous curve is now a hole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It seems the theory is, we cant isolate the vulnerable because its inhumane so we can only isolate everyone.

Long term you can’t anyway. That’s the approach the UK tried to take in order to protect the economy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

VinLieger wrote: »

Artificial is the wrong word. They are true cases that should have been added to totals in days past.

While they've distorted the numbers over the last few days there's nothing to suggest we're near peak and numbers are decreasing.

No , you isolate everyone for a much shorter period than 18 months .
    If you allow one whole group off to the pub you only increase the period of isolation for the other group

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

You are mad if you think pubs and clubs will open. The 2 meter distance is here to say for the foreseeable future. Restaurants that can keep people apart can open and a restriction on amount in a shop at 1 time.

Why 14, they were 36 six days ago, we have not gone over that figure since. These numbers are supposed to increase rapidly. I'm not under any illusion that it's going away but this has to be a huge sign of optimism.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

Has anyone seen any stats on how people contracted it . I imagine it's probably more relevant for those.who contracted in the last 2 weeks . Really a question around community transmission . I like most am following all the guidelines , but if I found out tommorow I had it , I could say it was likely from Supermarket as it's the biggest risk in my weekly routine. That said I'm ultra careful wiping all produce etc.. This information could inform others as to where they might need to protect themselves better , akin to Burglary stats helping people protect themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,927 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lets say you've a leaky roof
    Would you
    A) Partially repair the roof with a bit of sellotape and a towel and leave it for a few months
    or
    B) would you repair it fully asap?

Which method of repair will cause less damage overall do you think?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement