Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

So just because the over 60's and people/families with underlying conditions have to self isolate everybody should? They'll have to wait for a vaccine unfortunatly.

I'm all for everyone to self isolate until the curve flattens but after that we need to get back to normal. Older people and people with underlying conditions will have to continue to self isolate until a vaccine is announced.

You most certainly don’t have to skip back to the pub while the vulnerable stay indoors so you can

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

KiKi III wrote: »
    Right, but why are you so focused on the number today and determinedly ignoring the spike to 33 yesterday?

Yes, if the numbers were 14 and lower over the next 7 days that would be very encouraging but you need to brace yourself for the fact that that’s fairly unlikely.

If I had said to you 6 days ago, that I think the number is going be less than that daily figure of 36 over the next 5 days in fact I think it will more than half what would you have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Jenbach110 wrote: »
    The curve by all accounts is flattened.
    In fact the infamous curve is now a hole

Jesus would you mind giving the government and Patrick Holohan a call and letting them know?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Has anyone seen any stats on how people contracted it .

I don't think it's possible to be more specific than 'community transmission' in a lot of cases

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

niallo27 wrote: »
    If I had said to you 6 days ago, that I think the number is going be less than that daily figure of 36 over the next 5 days in fact I think it will more than half what would you have said.

How will it change your opinion if tomorrow’s death figure is 40-50? Will it alter your opinion? It seems like your mind is made up one way or the other.

I’d be delighted if the figure stayed at 14 and lower but I don’t think that’s going to be the case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 MaureensFry

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    You most certainly don’t have to skip back to the pub while the vulnerable stay indoors so you can

No when the curve flattens we should get back to normal. No point staying at home for 18 months when its mostly the elderly and people with underlying conditions affected. They can get the vaccine then.

No point in everyone suffering. There is no cure for Covid-19 or vaccine yet. We won't get rid of the virus.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Lets say you've a leaky roof
    Would you
    A) Partially repair the roof with a bit of sellotape and a towel and leave it for a few months
    or
    B) would you repair it fully asap?

Which method of repair will cause less damage overall do you think?

Hang on you can repair this asap, please tell us how you expect to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

The curve by all accounts is flattened.
    In fact the infamous curve is now a hole

An analysis of the figures from the last 2 weeks to support your comment would be very welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Hopefully by the end of May we can get back to normal with still some restrictions in place. E.G you can't leave your county of residence unless for work, people who can work from home still can.

Pubs and restraunts should be allowed to open and all other businesses.

Let the over 60's and people with underlying conditions self isolate until a vaccine is announced.

Pubs and restaurants will be lucky to be back open by September. They'll be among the very last last to open (very last will be festivals and large scale events, or there's a chance they'll never return)

Some people are living in La La Land with thinking some normality in these sectors will be here within 6-8 weeks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

According to Dr Tony Friday, median age of deaths was 80, mean was70 iirc and the range was from 32 to 102

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,927 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Hang on you can repair this asap, please tell us how you expect to do this.

A roof? Yeah I know a guy.

You seem to have been unable to read my full question. Please try again really hard this time niall I know its a hard question but option A or B? Which is better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Stheno wrote: »
    According to Dr Tony Friday, median age of deaths was 80, mean was70 iirc and the range was from 32 to 102

As mentioned here:
    Tony mentioned a Mean of 70 in Friday's Press conference (Median 82 IIRC)

I posted it on the main thread as I heard it

Here you go, this is the only recorded proof of it I can find:

https://www.clareecho.ie/confusion-on-total-covid-19-cases-in-ireland-with-69-people-diagnosed-in-clare/

Of the deaths to date, 70% were in a hospitalised setting, the median age was 82 and the mean age was 70. The age of those who have died range from 32 to 105

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭Jenbach110

Lets say you've a leaky roof
    Would you
    A) Partially repair the roof with a bit of sellotape and a towel and leave it for a few months
    or
    B) would you repair it fully asap?

Which method of repair will cause less damage overall do you think?

No you would address the specific localised damaged area of the roof and repair it.

Using your example the approach that has been taken to the restrictions would be equivalent of putting an umbrella over Ireland to prevent the rain falling in the 1st place.

The side effects of the umbrella blocking light and rain will cause more devastation than a leaky roof, but at least your attic is dry

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

So just because the over 60's and people/families with underlying conditions have to self isolate everybody should? They'll have to wait for a vaccine unfortunatly.

I'm all for everyone to self isolate until the curve flattens but after that we need to get back to normal. Older people and people with underlying conditions will have to continue to self isolate until a vaccine is announced.

No because everyone says we isolate them until is over and that is that. How about mental health issues and suicides that people seem so concerned with when its them asked for some pain for a long term gain.

I am not saying this current lockdown can continue but when it does lessen it will be with conditions. Those who can work from home should continue. Construction sites will have to have strict k clean routines and concerns pubs clubs and sport gathering will be still stopped or behind closed doors. Holidays abroad next year

No when the curve flattens we should get back to normal. No point staying at home for 18 months when its mostly the elderly and people with underlying conditions affected. They can get the vaccine then.

No point in everyone suffering. There is no cure for Covid-19 or vaccine yet. We won't get rid of the virus.

Good luck with getting back to normal if you lock up all the over 60’s
    Teachers , nurses , doctors , etc etc many many 60 year old are fully functioning part of society

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

As mentioned here:

Thanks I was working off memory

KiKi III wrote: »
    How will it change your opinion if tomorrow’s death figure is 40-50? Will it alter your opinion? It seems like your mind is made up one way or the other.

I’d be delighted if the figure stayed at 14 and lower but I don’t think that’s going to be the case.

It's not, it's not. Am I not allowed to be optimistic that the whole country going into lockdown has actually worked. You expect the death count to increase, we are deeper into the lockdown, I dont see why it should increase.

No you would address the specific localised damaged area of the roof and repair it.

Using your example the approach that has been taken to the restrictions would be equivalent of putting an umbrella over Ireland to prevent the rain falling in the 1st place.

The side effects of the umbrella blocking light and rain will cause more devastation than a leaky roof, but at least your attic is dry

So option B. That is what we are doing. Actual repair not a half assed job but proper repair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Jesus Christ. How many times does it need to be stated that the point of the restrictions is to slow the spread of the virus enough so that the health services are not overwhelmed like what has happened in other countries? We know there is no cure until if and when a vaccine is developed.

A roof? Yeah I know a guy.

You seem to have been unable to read my full question. Please try again really hard this time niall I know its a hard question but option A or B? Which is better

B obviously but unlike your roof, this virus can not be fixed completely asap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The lockdown restrictions should be showing in the cases now after we get rid of the German backlog.

Teachers , nurses , doctors , etc etc many many 60 year old are fully functioning part of society

These nurses and doctors are working now anyway, as for teachers over 60, I would have no issue with allowing the vast majority of them retire but that is for another discussion.

If you allow one whole group off to the pub you only increase the period of isolation for the other group

This is a not the basis of an argument. No one is asking to go to a pub. Being able to buy paint perhaps or travel further than 2km from home.

Nobody want the pubs to be reopened any time soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

irishgeo wrote: »
    The lockdown restrictions should be showing in the cases now after we get rid of the German backlog.

If they have more tests we can only assume that there will be more positives as cases that would have previously been missed are found.

We can only hope to see a slow down in deaths and ICU/Hospitalised cases.

B obviously but unlike your roof, this virus can not be fixed completely asap.

So if you wont half ass a roof repair you shouldn't half ass this. A rush to remove restrictions will cause more damage and make the whole thing last longer.

Well if those are not in isolation now, why arent they?

So option B. That is what we are doing. Actual repair not a half assed job but proper repair.

You do know with this analogy, any drop of decent rain the roof will start to leak again. Do you just keep paying the same guy to fix it.

This is a not the basis of an argument. No one is asking to go to a pub. Being able to buy paint perhaps or travel further than 2km from home.

Nobody want the pubs to be reopened any time soon

Actually the poster I was answering was asking for the pubs to be opened . Hence my discussion on that subject

You do know with this analogy, any drop of decent rain the roof will start to leak again. Do you just keep paying the same guy to fix it.

Not if its a decent guy in the first place who does it right.

• Advertisement

Well if those are not in isolation now, why arent they?

Because they are not over 70 ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement