Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Jenbach110 wrote: »
    Would it be worth extending the restrictions for maybe 20 years? A just in case approach.
    The only pressing issue would be that Liverpool would then be 50 years waiting on a title

This kinda sh1tposting doesn’t make your opinions seem very informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Anyone hazard a guess where religious ceremonies would fit into this timeline? Going by purely public health grounds, they should probably be near the end alongside the concerts etc. but that would probably cause uproar. Could you have 'socially distanced' masses I wonder...

Not a problem
    https://gulfnews.com/photos/news/worship-takes-the-wheel-at-german-good-friday-drive-in-1.1586534037737

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Say I have a restaurant with 60 seats.

Social distancing of 1m min means I have to take 40 seats away. Everyone is fearful of crowds so few are bothering to venture out. How does this work exactly?

If everyone is fearful of venturing out you will no issues with social distancing in your restaurant. You can serve the few that do easily. What is the issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Say I have a restaurant with 60 seats.

Social distancing of 1m min means I have to take 40 seats away. Everyone is fearful of crowds so few are bothering to venture out. How does this work exactly?

You can have 5 seats but no staff can come close to the table to take the order or place the food on the table. Staff also can't handle the cutlery. Kitchen staff cannot handle the food that will be brought out to people either unfortunately.

So really you will have a restaurant with 5 unset tables. People will have to come in and cook for themselves, set the table and then clean up afterwards. They will then tap a card at a till operated from behind a plastic wall.

But the next people won't be able to touch the cutlery , kitchen equipment or food handled by the first crowd so you can have 5 customers a day and will have to surgically clean everything at the end of the day.

Blueshoe wrote: »
    You can have 5 seats but no staff can come close to the table to take the order or place the food on the table. Staff also can't handle the cutlery. Kitchen staff cannot handle the food that will be brought out to people either unfortunately.

So really you will have a restaurant with 5 unset tables. People will have to come in and cook for themselves, set the table and then clean up afterwards. They will then tap a card at a till operated from behind a plastic wall.

But the next people won't be able to touch the cutlery , kitchen equipment or food handled by the first crowd so you can have 5 customers a day and will have to surgically clean everything at the end of the day.

You do realise take aways and restaurants doing take aways are open throughout the country right now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

niallo27 wrote: »
    You do realise take aways and restaurants doing take aways are open throughout the country right now.

They deliver out to your house. Nobody is calling in to sit down

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

The day we have 14 deaths we are told that there is a real danger of a second wave if we open too quickly
    Proof if you needed that our government and the health professional advising them need to be questioned more seriously

The sooner we get a new legal government the better

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭Jenbach110

KiKi III wrote: »
    This kinda sh1tposting doesn’t make your opinions seem very informed.

It was sarcasm loaded response.
    I hoped someone might get a smile from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Were you very young in 2008??

To this day
    People still go on about the banks
    And fianna Fáil
    And the Green Party
    And the water charges
    And the usc
    And worst of all how Brian lenihan was treated

I understand many young people are ignorant of what happened back then
    It was hell, for me it was the not knowing daily what would collapse, what jobs would go
    unfortunately those days are back again

I don’t want to argue or embarrass you or other posters but it is best we talk openly about what awaits all of us
    LOL you’re embarrassing no one but yourself pal with your “there will be blood” hysterical fúckwittery.

Blueshoe wrote: »
    They deliver out to your house. Nobody is calling in to sit down

People are calling to collect their food, you said people would have to cook their own food though plus would you not expect clean cutlery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Were you very young in 2008??

To this day
    People still go on about the banks
    And fianna Fáil
    And the Green Party
    And the water charges
    And the usc
    And worst of all how Brian lenihan was treated

I understand many young people are ignorant of what happened back then
    It was hell, for me it was the not knowing daily what would collapse, what jobs would go
    unfortunately those days are back again

I don’t want to argue or embarrass you or other posters but it is best we talk openly about what awaits all of us

People still whining about 2008 need to cop themselves on. With your attitude you’re not going to achieve anything. Be positive. Need to trust that the steps taken by government and Europe to support economy will soften the blows coming and help recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,923 ✭✭✭billyhead

Will the likes of gyms, hairdressers, pubs be the last to reopen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,745 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

The day we have 14 deaths we are told that there is a real danger of a second wave if we open too quickly
    Proof if you needed that our government and the health professional advising them need to be questioned more seriously

Is that so you can just attack them for whatever happens?

Anyone hazard a guess where religious ceremonies would fit into this timeline? Going by purely public health grounds, they should probably be near the end alongside the concerts etc. but that would probably cause uproar. Could you have 'socially distanced' masses I wonder...

Interesting point. Few attend mass any more so social distancing would be easy in large churches.

I would like to see that implemented as soon as is possible, mass going was a great source of social unity for the elderly and hopefully that can return. Minus handshaking and the communion bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

I don’t think there is anything illegal about our government is there?

I think restaurants will open after May 5 with limited seating. Pubs definitely not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,745 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Just to understand you correctly,

earlier on you wanted everything to reopen, now your reading some post and it provides "Proof", that there is a danger of second wave, when in reality we haven't even gone through the first wave - but your head is so far buried in the sand you don't even realise this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

niallo27 wrote: »
    If everyone is fearful of venturing out you will no issues with social distancing in your restaurant. You can serve the few that do easily. What is the issue.

There's a minimum cost to open a restaurant.

If you're not meeting it, then it's cheaper to stay closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

With the amount of cases increasing can't see relaxation of restrictions any time soon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

billyhead wrote: »
    Will the likes of gyms, hairdressers, pubs be the last to reopen?

Whatever about hairdressers pubs and gyms would certainly be in that category.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

The new government will include the current caretakers you’re sounding more and more daft the more you come out with

There's a minimum cost to open a restaurant.

If you're not meeting it, then it's cheaper to stay closed.

That's true, but the ones that are already open for takeaway already have a lot of the costs taken on board.

I'd say 30-50% of tables open, you're paying the chef, KP etc anyway, probably worth the cost of a waitress or two to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Interesting point. Few attend mass any more so social distancing would be easy in large churches.

I would like to see that implemented as soon as is possible, mass going was a great source of social unity for the elderly and hopefully that can return. Minus handshaking and the communion bit

So to adapt the old prayer, it would be a case of "nobody beside me, nobody before me, nobody behind me." Would mass really be mass without communion though?

Yeah, never mind the fact that most people who regularly go to mass are the most at risk group from the virus.

Yeah, never mind the fact that most people who regularly go to mass are the most at risk group from the virus.

Ive spoken to someone in the vunerable category who would be happy to take the risk eventually.

At what point do the restrictions become a worse fate than Covid itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

irishgeo wrote: »
    The lockdown restrictions should be showing in the cases now after we get rid of the German backlog.

Apparently the tests that went to Germany were from early to mid march. I've been tracking the percentage change of new cases since this began and if we ommit the German lab test back even only 3 weeks we get:

23rd to 29th March average % change in new cases is +16.47%
    30th March to 05th April average % change new cases is + 9.61%
    06th April to 12th April average % change new cases is +6.92%

You can see that the increase in new cases is dropping. The percentage increases are the only ones I'm counting, not inputting anything else so it's a basic model. I'm aware that the testing is not perfect and there are delays, but these are the figures on a high level and can't be snuffed at. I might input daily deaths into a separate one but would want to input other data to make the data more meaningful

Ive spoken to someone in the vunerable category who would be happy to take the risk eventually.

At what point do the restrictions become a worse fate than Covid itself?

A point far beyond "you need to miss mass for the next three weeks but you can watch it on the telly."

A point far beyond "you need to miss mass for the next three weeks but you can watch it on the telly."

So you suggest 3 weeks?
    Well thats fine I was going to suggest implementing social distancing at mass towards July. Anyone can handle 3 weeks thats not an issue at all

So you suggest 3 weeks?
    Well thats fine I was going to suggest implementing social distancing at mass towards July. Anyone can handle 3 weeks thats not an issue at all

Well yeah, that's how long current restrictions are in place.

After that, I expect churches will open to limited congregations with people most at-risk choosing to stay home.

My 91 year old granny hasn't been to mass in years, she's not able. But she enjoys listening to it.

• Advertisement

So to adapt the old prayer, it would be a case of "nobody beside me, nobody before me, nobody behind me." Would mass really be mass without communion though?
    Very poetic.

Mass could be adapted for communion though! Its just an optiom for some normality to be restored for a vunerable group.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement