Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

How long do most people think physical distancing will be implemented for? Not the general closures and movement restrictions, but the 2m distancing? That alone has significant implications for a lot of things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭Jenbach110

They don't, unless you have your head buried in the sand. My parents were daily mass goers who now embrace television/radio as an alternative medium under the current circumstances. Your first sentence reads as a work of fiction.

You have pulled a comment out of context.
    It may read as a work of fiction to you, I was making suggestions for implementing something far in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

They don't, unless you have your head buried in the sand. My parents were daily mass goers who now embrace television/radio as an alternative medium under the current circumstances. Your first sentence reads as a work of fiction.

You'd also have to consider that a huge proportion of our priests should be cocooning for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I don't think that is true, I think there are many of the older generation who might say, **** it I'm healthy enough I'm not going live my life hidden away if they are still stuck like this in a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,924 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

JL555 wrote: »
    Apparently the tests that went to Germany were from early to mid march. I've been tracking the percentage change of new cases since this began and if we ommit the German lab test back even only 3 weeks we get:

23rd to 29th March average % change in new cases is +16.47%
    30th March to 05th April average % change new cases is + 9.61%
    06th April to 12th April average % change new cases is +6.92%

You can see that the increase in new cases is dropping. The percentage increases are the only ones I'm counting, not inputting anything else so it's a basic model. I'm aware that the testing is not perfect and there are delays, but these are the figures on a high level and can't be snuffed at. I might input daily deaths into a separate one but would want to input other data to make the data more meaningful

This all looks good - and hopefully it keeps going down, but you need to be nearer the 2 % mark and we are a long way off that and like anything of this nature , the drop will drop as we get nearer the lower levels. You can already see that trend in your drops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,923 ✭✭✭billyhead

niallo27 wrote: »
    I don't think that is true, I think there are many of the older generation who might say, **** it I'm healthy enough I'm not going live my life hidden away if they are still stuck like this in a few months.

True. Some very old people will just prefer to chance it and if they get it so be it. They would probably feel it is what it is. They don't want to live the last year's of their life in a goldfish bowl. Sure you could be run over by a bus in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

Were you very young in 2008??

To this day
    People still go on about the banks
    And fianna Fáil
    And the Green Party
    And the water charges
    And the usc
    And worst of all how Brian lenihan was treated

I understand many young people are ignorant of what happened back then
    It was hell, for me it was the not knowing daily what would collapse, what jobs would go
    unfortunately those days are back again

I don’t want to argue or embarrass you or other posters but it is best we talk openly about what awaits all of us

2008 and it’s aftermath was not good. Obviously some on here will be too young to remember but yes, people lost their jobs, mass unemployment, wage deflation in some sectors which to this day have never recovered greatly, bailing out the banks, arrival of the troika, and other things like usc etc. etc.

Time moved on and things gradually improved. And yes Nobody in their right mind would want to go back there. Also forgot to mention mass emigration another aftermath of 2008.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Ireland is too small to section it off like that. Wouldn't work

And yet even if it is too small, the virus hasn't overwhelmed the entire country. Large clusters on the east coast and in nursing homes, but it doesn't seem to be widespread, which I find encouraging.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

billyhead wrote: »
    True. Some very old people will just prefer to chance it and if they get it so be it. They would probably feel it is what it is. They don't want to live the last year's of their life in a goldfish bowl. Sure you could be run over by a bus in the morning.

My MIL will be one of these, she goes away 6/7 times a year and was lucky to get back from Spain around the 21st March, suffers from serious FOMO, goes to the opening of an envelope.

She's got a hip replacement, that she never did proper physio for, needs another one, chronic smoker, functioning alcoholic, morbidly obese with a recurrent erupting hernia.

Even with all of these she'd go to a pub for her friends second cousins 13th wedding anniversary.

I expect once restrictions are lifted, she'll be out and about (she lives in rural mayo) and tbh probably dead within a couple of months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I am in the 65/70 age . I genuinely think if someone told me i couldn’t see my family or hold my grandchildren for a long period I would weigh up my options
    I am fit , healthy , look after my grandchildren before Covid , drive , travel , meet friends for dinner , go for long walks , swim etc.
    I think I might take the risk as not seeing my family or holding them close would kill us both here . We will do as told now and if they say another month we will do that but its very difficult to even contemplate much longer without a deep depression setting in
    I imagine a lot of my family and friends would feel the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

JL555 wrote: »
    23rd to 29th March average % change in new cases is +16.47%
    30th March to 05th April average % change new cases is + 9.61%
    06th April to 12th April average % change new cases is +6.92%

How much of that percentage change is due to the fact that the number is based on the previous week?
    eg: After 16% increase, a smaller percentage increase equals the same number of people infected as before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I am in the 65/70 age . I genuinely think if someone told me i couldn’t see my family or hold my grandchildren for a long period I would weigh up my options
    I am fit , healthy , look after my grandchildren before Covid , drive , travel , meet friends for dinner , go for long walks , swim etc.
    I think I might take the risk as not seeing my family or holding them close would kill us both here . We will do as told now and if they say another month we will do that but its very difficult to even contemplate much longer without a deep depression setting in
    I imagine a lot of my family and friends would feel the same

I can understand the incredibly difficult position you're in. But what happens when you become a burden on the health care system as do many others who feel the same way as you. What happens when you infect your family (and god forbid they don't make it), or they infect you- fine you're willing to take the risk but then who do you pass it on to before you realise you're sick. How would your family feel with the burden of knowing one of them were responsible for your death? Isn't all that the problem at the end of the day?

The many elderly people in my family feel the opposite to the above. They all believe they have many years left in them, even if that's unlikely in some cases, and want to do everything necessary in the medium term to ensure they get to live those many years. They feel there's still plenty of life to live under the restrictions and believe it's mad that people can't suck it up for a year or so to get this sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

The many elderly people in my family feel the opposite to the above. They all believe they have many years left in them, even if that's unlikely in some cases, and want to do everything necessary in the medium term to ensure they get to live those many years. They feel there's still plenty of life to live under the restrictions and believe it's mad that people can't suck it up for a year or so to get this sorted.

Suck it up for a year or so? If only it was that simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

this time people are choosing to embrace the crisis and just like the 2008 scapegoats they will not be spared.

Who were the 2008 scapegoats?

Suck it up for a year or so? If only it was that simple.

That's what they think! Not widespread shut downs of business, but physical distancing and staying within your household unless essential.

Stateofyou wrote: »
    I can understand the incredibly difficult position you're in. But what happens when you become a burden on the health care system as do many others who feel the same way as you. What happens when you infect your family (and god forbid they don't make it), or they infect you- fine you're willing to take the risk but then who do you pass it on to before you realise you're sick. How would your family feel with the burden of knowing one of them were responsible for your death? Isn't all that the problem at the end of the day?
    If you lock a whole generation away they will eventually become a burden . Stiffening joints , mental deterioration , lack of freshair for some , lack of stimulation etc etc.
    And the very same risk of passing it on applies to every age group by the way
    The elderly are not more likely to carry it , or pass it on , they are more likely to suffer badly from it all right

How would you feel if you were out and about and passed it on to a pregnant woman ? Passing it on is not exclusive to the older generation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

That's what they think! Not widespread shut downs of business, but physical distancing and staying within your household unless essential.

You can't have all businesses open and people staying within their homes unless essential, most business aren't essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

That's brilliant, let's isolate them to keep them safe and let the younger and healthier people get on with getting back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Jenbach110 wrote: »
    Very poetic.

Mass could be adapted for communion though!

Maybe with one of these:

NY-AS109_CHURCH_G_20110106184702.jpg

Regular sunday mass might be manageable in a lot of places but I struggle to see how you could impose meaningful social distancing at funerals if you relax the current restrictions

• Advertisement

Stateofyou wrote: »

Attitudes like this are perhaps one of the more demoralising effects of the virus. Its the shaming of the elderly who are petrified to become a burden.

I can only say everyone has a right to a life and there is worse things than death itself. Not living is one of them, none of us are living until restrictions are lifted, the elderly included.

At what point do the restrictions become a worse fate than Covid itself?

That's brilliant, let's isolate them to keep them safe and let the younger and healthier people get on with getting back to normal.

Do you think honestly that just by sheltering the older generation you can suddenly pop out and back to normal and nothing will happen you ? It is out there snd carried by every age group .Having the older generation stay indoors is not going to protect you out there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Attitudes like this are perhaps one of the more demoralising effects of the virus. Its the shaming of the elderly who are petrified to become a burden.

I can only say everyone has a right to life and there is worse things than death itself. Not living is one of them, none of us are living until restrictions are lifted, the elderly included.

At what point do the restrictions become a worse fate than Covid itself?

You've asked this question a couple of times and I'd be interested to hear your own answer to it.

Yes they would be ok with that. They all live with younger healthier people though. The housing crisis has affected all of their families. Some have children living with them, a lot live with children. That will have to be addressed. It would also mean the care workers, home helps, nurses etc would remain a massive risk to the elderly if they didn't maintain restrictions. That's a big cause for concern to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

Ive spoken to someone in the vunerable category who would be happy to take the risk eventually.

I spoke to the tooth fairy and was told that no-one should take a risk with COVID-19. I am actually using the same level of argumentation as yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,372 ✭✭✭pgj2015

just watched the rte news there, first time i have seen it in a while. jesus, i wont be watching it again for a long long time. what did we have yesterday here 34 deaths? only 14 today, did they mention that as a positive? did they $hite. its all doom and gloom. i voted fine gael in the election but im getting sick of Leo with his doom and gloom attitude as well, I think when this is all over people are going to associate him with this hardship and it wont end well for him.

he was the same way on 17th march, hes not really someone that gives you hope is he? so depressing listening to him.

alwald wrote: »
    I spoke to the tooth fairy and was told that no-one should take a risk with COVID-19. I am actually using the same level of argumentation as yourself.

Someone is human, the tooth fairy aint.

Anyhow, it was a family member

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

pgj2015 wrote: »
    just watched the rte news there, first time i have seen it in a while. jesus, i wont be watching it again for a long long time. what did we have yesterday here 34 deaths? only 14 today, did they mention that as a positive? did they $hite. its all doom and gloom. i voted fine gael in the election but im getting sick of Leo with his doom and gloom attitude as well, I think when this is all over people are going to associate him with this hardship and it wont end well for him. he was the same way on 17th march, hes not really someone that gives you hope is he? so depressing listening to him.

You might want to stick with Donald Trump's daily briefings so...

Yes they would be ok with that. They all live with younger healthier people though. The housing crisis has affected all of their families. Some have children living with them, a lot live with children. That will have to be addressed. It would also mean the care workers, home helps, nurses etc would remain a massive risk to the elderly if they didn't maintain restrictions. That's a big cause for concern to them.

Also in my area anyway a huge amount of retired nanas and grandads mind grandchildren after school . So the back to normal means lots of workers have no childcare . The school pick up and drop off are very often done by grandparents m
    In my own family of 5 siblings four of us mind grandchildren or pick up from school for working parents

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

pgj2015 wrote: »
    just watched the rte news there, first time i have seen it in a while. jesus, i wont be watching it again for a long long time. what did we have yesterday here 34 deaths? only 14 today, did they mention that as a positive? did they $hite. its all doom and gloom. i voted fine gael in the election but im getting sick of Leo with his doom and gloom attitude as well, I think when this is all over people are going to associate him with this hardship and it wont end well for him.

he was the same way on 17th march, hes not really someone that gives you hope is he? so depressing listening to him.

I would much rather watch and listen to him than the orange buffoon across the Atlantic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement