Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rusty the athlete

I`m talking about measures such as the 2km limit for exercise being reduced to zero, journeys even if they are to foodstores or chemists being reduced to 1 or 2 days a week. Also increasing the fines and /or prison sentences for those who still ignore the rules.

What utter BS. How do you enforce it? A gard outside everyone's house? How do you know how many food trips we make and who would keep count? Do you seriously want to criminalize people who go shopping or take exercise? Must be the dumbest post ever posted to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SNNUS

[QUOTE=rusty the athlete;Must be the dumbest post ever posted to this thread.[/QUOTE]

Stick around there is good form...

robinph wrote: »
    If someone works in an office then can't think why they couldn't get setup to work from home. Maybe they are not setup to do so yet, but the technology exists and not a big task to do.

If needed then any office jobs can be made to people taking it in turns to turn up to the office for half a week at a time and work from home the other days.

Beginning to suspect the 50/50 thing is how all software roles will go after this one tbh. It's just viable to do that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/economic-outlook-q2-gdp-lower-unemployment-jump-coronavirus-impact-goldman-2020-3%3famp

Please read and try and understand nothing will be the same again
    If we don’t act now to protect our local economy we will suffer greatly

Remember what trump said a few weeks ago - Ireland does a lot of good work for us in pharma but it’s time those companies come home
    The second part was barely reported by the media but the pressure on those companies to bring r&d back to the states will be too much now

Can those who are behind this lockdown please even admit what is coming And explain why they still believe in this lockdown madness

I can guess why posters here are so gung ho on this lockdown, we all can
    It’s why most did not answer my question on what their personal situations are

Pure and utter selfishness

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭facehugger99

pgj2015 wrote: »
    i have a neighbour, he must be in his 80s, he doesnt give a fcuk about this virus, he going driving, visits his family etc

I would be the same to be honest, this crap of peoples kids coming to their parents house shouting from a mile away, its a sad way to live. then you have people in their 20's who are afraid to get it.

There's a lot of that going on.

Lads portraying themselves as being these great defenders of the elderly. Nothing but a handy cloak to mask their own fears.

• Advertisement

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/economic-outlook-q2-gdp-lower-unemployment-jump-coronavirus-impact-goldman-2020-3%3famp

Please read and try and understand nothing will be the same again
    If we don’t act now to protect our local economy we will suffer greatly

Remember what trump said a few weeks ago - Ireland does a lot of good work for us in pharma but it’s time those companies come home
    The second part was barely reported by the media but the pressure on those companies to bring r&d back to the states will be too much now

Can those who are behind this lockdown please even admit what is coming And explain why they still believe in this lockdown madness

I can guess why posters here are so gung ho on this lockdown, we all can
    It’s why most did not answer my question on what their personal situations are

Pure and utter selfishness
    Honestly, I wouldn't trust you with a dog. Let alone how to manage a pandemic situation, it's just non stop outrage even though the entire world is on lockdown. You'd think it was unique to us.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    i have a neighbour, he must be in his 80s, he doesnt give a fcuk about this virus, he going driving, visits his family etc

Good for him, I'm glad he is using his common sense and maintaining his physical and psychological health at the expense of whatever the benefits that this so called cocooning is supposed to bestow.

The irony is the hairdressers will probably be the very last and the only essential one of the three. You can get pissed at home while you cook dinner but the hair issue will start to become more than a meme.

No one will die if they don't get their hair done for a while.

Honestly, I wouldn't trust you with a dog. Let alone how to manage a pandemic situation, it's just non stop outrage even though the entire world is on lockdown. You'd think it was unique to us.

Another personal attack
    Please answer my question
    You are for the lockdown no matter the economic fallout
    What is your personal situation
    Where do you work
    Where do you live
    Are you renter or homeowner

No one will die if they don't get their hair done for a while.

My wife attacked my mop with scissors yesterday and now I look like a cross between a coconut and pineapple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭History Queen

Another personal attack
    Where do you work
    Where do you live

I'm curious as to why you have issue with people not wanting to get this virus? You quoted another poster talking about people in their 20s being fearful of getting this. Is that not natural? I'm in my early 30s, no underlying conditions, though I am pregnant. I'm trying my best not to get this virus for many reasons: fear of passing it to more vulnerable members of my family, lack of information on possible long term results of the illness, fear of harming my son, fear of harming my unborn child. Is it not natural and normal to want to avoid illness, particularly one with so many unknowns?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭JRant

JTMan wrote: »
    The Irish Times has some details here on how restrictions are likely be lifted after the May holiday weekend.

Restrictions lifted on:
    - Some retail outlets.
    - DIY and garden stores
    - Easing on the requirement of those over 70 to cocoon. This could allow for exercise outside of the home at certain times.
    - Smaller construction sites

"Many months later":
    - Office allowed reopen BUT ...

"For the foreseeable future” (until there is a vaccine?)
    - Work from home

I guess offices will be allowed reopen but if staff can work from home then work from home will stay mandatory for a long time to come.

Hopefully larger construction sites are allowed open soon after too.

There's a distinct whiff of a Leo focus group coming off that article, which is nothing more than a kite flying exercise.

Maybe Leo should get out in front of the people of this country and let us know what the plan is. No more movie quotes or poetry lessons, just simple facts that people can use to start making plans.

Simple things like, if you can open up construction and hardware shops then the schools and creches need to follow suit.

I have a feeling they want to keep offices closed longer because they don't want to open schools or creches before the next school year.

The 2km restrictions have to go as well. It was a daft one to begin with and was only introduced because of social media images of Muppets at beaches and such.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,924 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Another personal attack
    Where do you work
    Where do you live

How are any of those relevant in anyway?

I'm curious as to why you have issue with people not wanting to get this virus? You quoted another poster talking about people in their 20s being fearful of getting this. Is that not natural? I'm in my early 30s, no underlying conditions, though I am pregnant. I'm trying my best not to get this virus for many reasons: fear of passing it to more vulnerable members of my family, lack of information on possible long term results of the illness, fear of harming my son, fear of harming my unborn child. Is it not natural and normal to want to avoid illness, particularly one with so many unknowns?

Fully understandable by your personal situation
    Some questions are you public or private employee
    Your partner is public or private employee
    Are u a homeowner
    This so I can understand your position fully

JRant wrote: »

The 2km restrictions have to go as well. It was a daft one to begin with and was only introduced because of social media images of Muppets at beaches and such.

If some retail reopens (which I think it probably will) and tradesmen be allowed to work, then it goes without saying I think that the 2km restriction will be unworkable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I think they will have to allow the cocooned group a short walk outside soon ., We look out the window here and not a soul to be seen , the roads are quiet most of the day with the odd walker out exercising .There is no reason why a 70 year old could not take a walk avoiding any contact and be vigilant . Even if they did meet another they can cross the road and be 5- 6 metres away .The vast majority in that group are well aware they have to be extra careful not to be close to anyone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

What utter BS. How do you enforce it? A gard outside everyone's house? How do you know how many food trips we make and who would keep count? Do you seriously want to criminalize people who go shopping or take exercise? Must be the dumbest post ever posted to this thread.

Not even close to it. IMO the dumbest posts come from the head in the sand/nothing to see here merchants of which there are no shortage of on this and other covid-19 threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

2nd wave on the way in China. Relaxing lockdown has failed.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronavirus-live-pandemic-uk-updates-21856696

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭brick tamland

If some retail reopens (which I think it probably will) and tradesmen be allowed to work, then it goes without saying I think that the 2km restriction will be unworkable

Its unenforceable at the moment. Its relying on people just needing to use common sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

BanditLuke wrote: »

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronavirus-live-pandemic-uk-updates-21856696

Did you even read the article? It’s from Chinese nationals returning to China.

• Advertisement

Another personal attack
    Where do you work
    Where do you live

I already gave you my personal situation as did many posters over the course of the thread. I'm 29, renting an apartment and work in Cork. I've faced a 20% reduction in my salary. I've got a chronic illness but not in a cocooning category.

I don't favour an unrestricted lockdown but I don't believe anyone does in this thread... There is gonna be economic fallout but that applies to the entire globe. Eg my current company expects drastic revenue drops because of the international situation.

Ultimately I think a lockdown is entirely necessary, yes we're gonna be economically hit but it's far better than throwing the vulnerable to wolves basically. And the fact that frontline workers would be put in even greater danger. So get over yourself tbh.

I imagine the lockdown will be dropped in a few weeks but also many restrictions are gonna remain with us for the foreseeable. This is a global change and not just related to some isolated Irish economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭brick tamland

You didn't ny even read it did you. Zero about it been related to lifting of resriction. Its not even in that part of China where they lifted them. Ususl hysyerical tripe

Did you even read the article? It’s from Chinese nationals returning to China.

Eh yeah hence why relaxing the lockdown and letting them back in was a bad idea. Maybe you need to read what i posted before jumping to conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

The restrictions should not be lifted till a vaccine is made available to the entire world.
    I believe the current restrictions will be still in place for the next 1-2 years.

And who will put food on the table, pay the bills, keep the world turning? Pure madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/economic-outlook-q2-gdp-lower-unemployment-jump-coronavirus-impact-goldman-2020-3%3fampPlease read and try and understand nothing will be the same again
    If we don’t act now to protect our local economy we will suffer greatly Remember what trump said a few weeks ago - Ireland does a lot of good work for us in pharma but it’s time those companies come home The second part was barely reported by the media but the pressure on those companies to bring r&d back to the states will be too much now Can those who are behind this lockdown please even admit what is coming And explain why they still believe in this lockdown madness.I can guess why posters here are so gung ho on this lockdown, we all can
    It’s why most did not answer my question on what their personal situations are Pure and utter selfishness

Do you always write such complete and utter drivel? Replacing reality with your own deranged fiction really doesn't make for any type of coherent argument no matter which way you look at.

The current restrictions are there to lower the rates of infection and to stop our health system collapsing and impairing our society for a much longer than any time limited period. We are not the only country facing this crisis. And of course things are going to change as a result - thats a given. Get a grip ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I don't care anymore these restrictions are pox.

the chance to make a change has passed. they allowed trips to Italy and Cheltenham and the infected to visit here (Italy in particular) .
    On that note I find it odd no reports of mass infections within the Chinese community in Ireland given the Chinese new year was in Jan and some Chinese did go home to visit for that.

There were illnesses before and there will be illnesses again. The idea of being locked up to avoid them is bull****. Are we going to do this every time something happens .

I'm fortunate I can work from home but thousands are living on the dole with debts mounting up. For what?
    What debts are the state adding to the national debt? Years of high taxation ahead for us all.
    quality of life is more important than any of this ****e.

Take precautions for sure, wear a mask. clean your hands and don't snot on things. Stay in if you are fearful . But life should go on for the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Eh yeah hence why relaxing the lockdown and letting them back in was a bad idea. Maybe you need to read what i posted before jumping to conclusions.

Irish Nationals can return right now, there is no restriction on it. In fact, the government are running planes in some cases to bring them back. Please clarify how it is related to the relaxation of restrictions?

paw patrol wrote: »
    I don't care anymore these restrictions are pox.

the chance to make a change has passed. they allowed trips to Italy and Cheltenham and the infected to visit here (Italy in particular) .
    On that note I find it odd no reports of mass infections within the Chinese community in Ireland given the Chinese new year was in Jan and some Chinese did go home to visit for that.

There were illnesses before and there will be illnesses again. The idea of being locked up to avoid them is bull****. Are we going to do this every time something happens .

I'm fortunate I can work from home but thousands are living on the dole with debts mounting up. For what?
    What debts are the state adding to the national debt? Years of high taxation ahead for us all.
    quality of life is more important than any of this ****e.

Take precautions for sure, wear a mask. clean your hands and don't snot on things. Stay in if you are fearful . But life should go on for the rest of us.

It's to avoid a surge. You mightn't care about saving as many as we can but thankfully many do including our government. Stay at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,600 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

So China have reported 108 new cases overnight.
    That’s with the strictest lockdown on the planet.
    C19 is not going away anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Schools can be opened and maintain a limited social distancing by don't have any school trips, limit interactions between the year groups, staggered break times etc. The teachers can manage to handle keeping apart from each other. That limits the spread immediately through the entire school such that there is more chance of noticing and shutting down that particular school for a couple of weeks. The pupils at the school are generally all going to be from the local area. If there is a rise in cases in that area then shut down the local schools for a couple of weeks.

The risk to the wider community comes from the parents mixing with a wider geographic area on their commutes into work and the time they then spend sat in their offices, they bring it back home, it spreads to another family via school and then to a completely different geographic area from a different family who work in a different town 40 miles in the other direction.

Needs a major re-think in how everyones work and lives are carried out, but we're not getting out of this anytime soon unless changes are made. Continue with office workers having to work from home wherever possible, or limiting time in their offices. Manual worker have to be completely redesigned in how close people can work next to each other but still getting things done, having people in on shifts with only half the staff in at a time, but all depends on the type of work. If they can't figure out how to make it work then society just has to accept that type of work/ product isn't going to happen anymore.

Shops on high streets can re-open and have limited people in at a time. Major shopping centres have to change their loading bays at the back of each shop into the entrances and people can then get into the shops in limited numbers at a time, but nobody is going in a milling around inside. You can then operate the queuing system for each shop individually outside.

Lots of impossible things need to be figured out, but there isn't any other fix coming any time soon. New ways of living our lives need to be figured out whilst keeping distance from each other.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement