Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    They're clearly wrong though.

Let me ask you this:

How can you explain how there's almost no local transmission amongst countries who obsessively wear masks outside?

Look at China as an example:

No one was wearing masks in Wuhan, and the virus exploded. When everyone in China learnt about this, they all started wearing masks. Massive cities like Shanghai and Beijing, which never went into lockdown, got barely any cases.

So the only difference between Wuhan and Shanghai is people wore masks in Shanghai.

You can actually see in the HSE person's answer that he doesn't understand why people are wearing masks. It's not about preventing you from getting infected, it's about preventing you from infecting others. That's why masks stop local transmission.

Here's a simple video showing how masks stop your germs from spreading:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYJvU81DKgk

I doubt your claim that no one in Wuhan was wearing masks before the outbreak. In fact you seem to be contradicting yourself in your post. People in China and other eastern Asian countries are accustomed to wearing masks in public and generally follow the correct procedures. I doubt the same can be said for the majority people in other countries particularly in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i was told by someone who reads up on this a good bit that pubs and restauraunts wont open until november at the earliest is this true? schools not back for the next school year until janaury 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Realistically, it's highly unlikely that there will be any vaccine publicly available until next year.

Totally agree. I'm more optimistic than most here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,289 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i was told by someone who reads up on this a good bit that pubs and restauraunts wont open until november at the earliest is this true? schools not back for the next school year until janaury 2021

Not a chance on either front, haven't seen either predictions being mentioned anywhere.

Government sources in papers today's suggesting limited schooling might resume within the next 2 months

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's a guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭pgj2015

my cousin owns a few pubs, she reckons they will be open in July at the earliest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Current LVA advice is if the HSE approves then early July for pubs. Worst case scenario if the virus worsens is Halloween, however there is another LVA meeting tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

pgj2015 wrote: »
    my cousin owns a few pubs, she reckons they will be open in July at the earliest.

Any chance she'd have a few of us over for a lock-in tonight?

Relax, it's a joke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I would think that if the rate of virus cases stabilises over the summer that schools and colleges will reopen in September. Restaurants may reopen before then but with restrictions in place. Pubs may not open again until 2021.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I would be nearly certain thars its not true. Social distancing will become the norm for everybody. There will be difficulties but it will become the norm. Pubs will have limits set on them with regard to seating and standing, same with restaurants. Schools might have to have some 'stagger' days but 'normality' will resume before 2021.

• Advertisement

pgj2015 wrote: »

Had been told the same myself by a publican who would be prominent on LVA committees. It's a wait and see but they're hopefully of July.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I would be nearly certain thars its not true. Social distancing will become the norm for everybody. There will be difficulties but it will become the norm. Pubs will have limits set on them with regard to seating and standing, same with restaurants. Schools might have to have some 'stagger' days but 'normality' will resume before 2021.

Almost impossible to do social distancing in a pub. I've actually heard that alcohol hinders people's decision making faculties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I would assume restaurants for takeaway will reopen soon enough, but pubs can't as we already know lots of transmissions happen there (no masks, close contact).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Dickie10

july would be fantastic for galway races . pubs in galway will have even bigger numbers that week.

july would be fantastic for galway races . pubs in galway will have even bigger numbers that week.

Absolutely not going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

KiKi III wrote: »
    Almost impossible to do social distancing in a pub. I've actually heard that alcohol hinders people's decision making faculties.

Not for me. I make better decisions with each pint. God I miss pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

Not a hope. 2020 is a write off.

Not a chance the races are going to be on, wont be happening.

Even when pubs do reopen it'll be limited capacity and reduced hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Absolutely not going to happen.

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,697 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I would expect pubs to be the last to open , no reason schools should not open before pubs, ther are many that think schools should open soon, as children are not badly effected and it is a source of childcare for needed health care workers -

Pubs like nightclubs/concerts are probably the hardest places to practice safe social distancing, so I would expect them to be last to open, and they are not really an essentiality like education and food.

• Advertisement

easypazz wrote: »
    Why?

Over 130,000 people attended Ballybrit for the Galway Races last year. That doesn't include people who just went to Galway for the sesh and didn't head out to the racecourse. There's absolutely no chance we'll be having gatherings of that size in the next 3-4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Can't see pubs opening this side of Xmas. In fact I'd say they'd be in the boat as concerts/large sports events etc... and be very last to go back to normality.

Over 130,000 people attended Ballybrit for the Galway Races last year. That doesn't include people who just went to Galway for the sesh and didn't head out to the racecourse. There's absolutely no chance we'll be having gatherings of that size in the next 3-4 months.

If there are zero cases in June then there is no justification not to have the races.

Reduce capacity so people can keep their distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

niallo27 wrote: »
    A quick Google and I found no posts saying they think there will be no vaccine.

I am going to watch few episodes of money heist...maybe by then you will find the info about the 80% chance of a vaccine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If there are zero cases in June then there is no justification not to have the races.

Capacity will be reduced to zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Why?

This thing called the Corona Virus, have you not heard about it?

It has different names it's also known as Covid 19. Donald Trump calls it the Chinese Flu cos it started in ChiNa...Chi...NA.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Can't see pubs opening this side of Xmas. In fact I'd say they'd be in the boat as concerts/large sports events etc... and be very last to go back to normality.

If there are no cases then no need to keep them closed if schools, colleges, creches, gyms, swimming pools etc. are open.

You've obviously never been to the Galway Races if you think it's the kind of environment where social distancing is possible.

You're also loolah if you think we're going to go from almost 10,000 cases (confirmed) to zero in the next three months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

There is no chance of zero cases in June.

No chance.

Any semblance of normality will not involve mass crowds for a start. You shouldn't need to be told that.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    Capacity will be reduced to zero.

Says who?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement