Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

niallo27 wrote: »
    How can you be so sure, people are starting to turn already. I would say a larger percentage will not wait indefinitely.

So what will these people do? Go out and start up the economy again themselves? Some idiots may go out and cause trouble but the Garda and army should be able to deal with the.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭bladespin

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    What fatal, incurable and easily transmissable viruses were we exposed to before Covid?

Yes, there are plenty of other virus and bacteria out there that can be fatal, for some even a peanut or the sting of a wasp can do it.

Every day without even opening a door we're exposing ourselves to risks.

I'm not dismissing Covid in anyway but thinking we were perfectly 100% safe day to day before it is not true.

Suffer, bollocks. People asked to stay at home and claim the social for a few months.

100 years ago you'd be getting blown up in a field in France. :rolleyes:

My point is that people are so mollycoddled nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Ace2007 wrote: »
    So Gael, let's say we do another 2/3 weeks of this - and we are more or less in the same boat, and people look across at the UK or the US and see thousands of people dying every day - do you honestly think the Irish be like, let's do away with the restrictions, or do you think they will be like, let's plough on through this - it could get a whole lot worse if we ease up now.

Ease the restrictions, not remove them
    The world keeps turning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Good luck with that. My estimation would be September or even December before business as usual.

We haven't even reached the peak of what's in store for us, and who knows how many weeks it will take before a decline.

Well indeed, and realistically I would concur with your estimations, but things will get much better much sooner in 'lord quackintons' mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

How can you be so sure, people are starting to turn already. I would say a larger percentage will not wait indefinitely.

Who's "starting to turn"? A few lads who haven't had their beards trimmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Well so be it, this isn't a nice situation, we can't just make it go away. We may, gasp!, for the first time in human history, have to suffer a little!

Yes we may have to suffer, so let's try and get on with our lives after a few more weeks of this. People lived through world wars with thousands dieing but didnt hide away. They lived their lives but we are all so ****en soft now that we cant take a few thousand dieing. You see how you can spin everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Wow, cool, only another three weeks ✓

The then back to normal by end of May, brill.

Can't wait.

I’d start mentally preparing yourself for a much longer period before “back to normal”.

Wuhan went into a lockdown much more restrictive than ours on 23 January and started easing restrictions only last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

So what will these people do? Go out and start up the economy again themselves? Some idiots may go out and cause trouble but the Garda and army should be able to deal with the.

Actually there is no law for the gardai to implement here. You can walk wherever you want to really. You can drive wherever you want to also.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Who's "starting to turn"? A few lads who haven't had their beards trimmed?

Lot of people on here say it cant go on indefinitely, are you that naive to think that their wont be unrest if this goes on for months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Well so be it, this isn't a nice situation, we can't just make it go away. We may, gasp!, for the first time in human history, have to suffer a little!

Hopefully not everyone is so caviler at the thought of bequeathing future generations with a basket-case of a Country.

There are a huge number of indigenous small and medium businesses clinging to survival by a thread. The economic repercussions of flushing their futures down the toilet to appease a few social-media, hysteria-merchants is one which has the capacity to destroy hundreds of thousands of lives for years to come.

Actually there is no law for the gardai to implement here. You can walk wherever you want to really. You can drive wherever you want to also.

Gardaí were given the power to detain those flouting the restrictions in the emergency legislation passed last week if I’m not mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

niallo27 wrote:

Any source of the people turning already? Genuine question as I haven't seen anything in the news about it.
    Most people will put the interest of the country first...those who don't are just brainless idiots IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Gael23 wrote: »
    Ease the restrictions, not remove them
    The world keeps turning.

So which restriction are you going to ease - let people roam around in large numbers again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Lot of people on here say it cant go on indefinitely, are you that naive to think that their wont be unrest if this goes on for months.

It will go on for months (unless new or existing drugs work on it) The sooner people grow up and except it the better.

I was responding to the person saying "people are starting to turn" whatever he meant by that, I assume he meant people will go out and start rioting or something, which is illegal.

KiKi III wrote: »
    Gardaí were given the power to detain those flouting the restrictions in the emergency legislation passed last week if I’m not mistaken.

Not yet and in fairness they can't enforce it, if the numbers breaking the rule is high

Hopefully not everyone is so caviler at the thought of bequeathing future generations with a basket-case of a Country.

There are a huge number of indigenous small and medium businesses clinging to survival by a thread. The economic repercussions of flushing their futures down the toilet to appease a few social-media, hysteria-merchants is one which has the capacity to destroy hundreds of thousands of lives for years to come.

How can you accuse others of hysteria while being so hysterical yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

I’d start mentally preparing yourself for a much longer period before “back to normal”.

Wuhan went into a lockdown much more restrictive than ours on 23 January and started easing restrictions only last week.

We are not Wuhan though, and things here are not too bad.....yet.

The numbers will dictate how things look at the end of April, May is the earliest we will start to see a roll back...if the numbers are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

alwald wrote: »
    I think you should say that you can't take what we have now and not the society...the society will do what's necessary for the best of the country regardless of the time required.
    There's a reason why we tell kids how many sleeps till Santa! We too need that 7-10 days blanky every so often during this. If we get to the end of April without any sign of an end there is a far higher risk people will begin to flout the restrictions.

• Advertisement

BanditLuke wrote: »
    It will go on for months (unless new or existing drugs work on it) The sooner people grow up and except it the better.

I think by middle of May we be back in the office. 6 weeks of this and the country is bankrupt so will have no choice.

alwald wrote: »
    Any source of the people turning already? Genuine question as I haven't seen anything in the news about it.
    Most people will put the interest of the country first...those who don't are just brainless idiots IMO.

Well the reaction on this thread is a good starting point, why would it be in the news. Again nobody is saying restrictions should be lifted, we just think its unsustainable long term when others say we should lockdown indefinitely.

Not yet and in fairness they can't enforce it, if the numbers breaking the rule is high

Yes, they can. As we have seen in other countries with roadblocks and support from the army. Hopefully people just cooperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I was responding to the person saying "people are starting to turn" whatever he meant by that, I assume he meant people will go out and start rioting or something, which is illegal.
    I suspect it means leaning towards being less compliant. Not an issue at present IMO but 3 more weeks down the line ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

MadYaker wrote: »
    The UK are completely fcuked thanks to their clowns in government. Boris "I shake hands with coronavirus patients" Johnson so there's no point comparing us to them as we have done a much better job, hence new case numbers here dropping and deaths spiralling out of control in the UK, chalk and cheese.

It aint hope over reality. Soon all the thousands of patients awaiting major surgery who were dumped out of hospital are going to start having serious problems and will die if they don't get surgeries and other treatment. This is just one of a plethora of issues that this lockdown will start to throw up in the coming weeks. Some loosening is inevitable at the end of the month.

Of all the Big countries, I'm not convinced that the UK is fcuked > when compared to Spain, Italy, France & the USA.

Yes, they can. As we have seen in other countries with roadblocks and support from the army. Hopefully people just cooperate.

Where do you think they will contain these people for breaking the law?
    Not talking about myself.

easypazz wrote: »
    We are not Wuhan though, and things here are not too bad.....yet.

The numbers will dictate how things look at the end of April, May is the earliest we will start to see a roll back...if the numbers are good.

The reason things are not too bad here yet is because of the restrictions you’re so keen to get rid of.....

Of all the Big countries, I'm not convinced that the UK is fcuked > when compared to Spain, Italy, France & the USA.

Problem for the Uk is they are only testing when you get admitted to the hospitals. So no idea of the clusters or locations of the virus

Where do you think they will contain these people for breaking the law?
    Not talking about myself.

They would probably show them to their homes and slap them with a hefty fine.

I find it unlikely this will happen, most people in the real world are happy to cooperate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

Give them 2 weeks with the help of the military and the streets will be clean of all idiots.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement