Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Cupatae wrote: »
    Apologies that came across abit more blunt than intended.

No problem ! The written word sometimes can be taken wrongly .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Cupatae wrote: »
    Very good points infairness, i think our biggest Achilles heel is how connected the world is now a days, with travel so readily available to everyone as we have all seen a virus can cross the globe at the drop of a hat.

But at the same time it is also far easier to get information out across the globe or just a country or even city to shut certain things down at a moments notice. If we are prepared to then we can respond far quicker than it was possible to 100 years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

robinph wrote: »
    But at the same time it is also far easier to get information out across the globe or just a country or even city to shut certain things down at a moments notice. If we are prepared to then we can respond far quicker than it was possible to 100 years ago.

Yeah true, definitley a double edge sword, I think the sharing of information and cooperation between the science community will certainly speed up any vaccine research.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What is likely to be the position on things like business conferences?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Gael23 wrote: »

Hopefully they’ll mostly be cancelled for good. Vast majority of them are just pointless jollies for executives.

In the immediate term, probably a rise in digital alternatives.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

A thing of the past.

Unlikely to happen again within a couple of years, possibly ever, as why would you fly people in from around the world to sit in the same room with a bunch of other people when you can just do it from home.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I was due to go to one in May. It's entirely online now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭Jenbach110

KiKi III wrote: »
    Hopefully they’ll mostly be cancelled for good. Vast majority of them are just pointless jollies for executives.

Its so alarming that people enjoying themselves has completely stopped for a likely substantial period of time, and posters are welcoming that accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

I think we're heading towards a critical juncture come May 5th.

I think one way or another they're going to have to start easing the restrictions because this lockdown is starting to really negatively effect some people's mental health.

Now naturally we can't just go straight back to normal in 3 weeks time and stopping the virus must take ultimate priority. However the psychological effects of lockdown are going to have to be considered as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

alwald wrote: »
    Make of my post what you want but I don't make C-19 decisions based on dreams/wishes but rather reality and scientific advice. End of this point for me.

I think you might want to revise some of that scientific advice and have a quick revisit of that reality considering you seem to believe the odds of getting back to normality, getting a vaccine etc are around 1 in 139,838,160.

Seriously, you’re kinda all over the place with this, I mean you have previously said on this thread how you would love to go back to normal as soon as possible but now wanting to get back to normality is dangerous and the odds of that are as per above anyway.

Get out, enjoy the weather as best ye can, and I mean that genuinely, this whole things is driving people up the wall in fairness.

• Advertisement

Jenbach110 wrote: »
    Its so alarming that people enjoying themselves has completely stopped, and posters are welcoming that accordingly.

This is a complete and utter mischaracterisation of what I said.

Expanding my view on business conferences to include any way people enjoy themselves is silly.

But foolish me more so, replying and giving the troll another snack.

robinph wrote: »
    A thing of the past.

Unlikely to happen again within a couple of years, possibly ever, as why would you fly people in from around the world to sit in the same room with a bunch of other people when you can just do it from home.

I’m part of a social grouping which involves ~200 people gathering twice a year. We can do certain things remotely for a while but it’s not a sustainable long term solution

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

KiKi III wrote: »

In the immediate term, probably a rise in digital alternatives.

God what a ridiculous thing to say. Business, science, and academic conferences are really important not just for networking but for the sharing of knowledge and practice. Silly thing to say.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I’m part of a social grouping which involves ~200 people gathering twice a year. We can do certain things remotely for a while but it’s not a sustainable long term solution

Is this related to your work?

I think one way or another they're going to have to start easing the restrictions because this lockdown is starting to really negatively effect some people's mental health.

Now naturally we can't just go straight back to normal in 3 weeks time and stopping the virus must take ultimate priority. However the psychological effects of lockdown are going to have to be considered as well.

Agreed, it’s putting a wedge between families and that can’t go on any longer than May 5th

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

You're right, we won't be going back to normal for a long time, personally I fully expect to be working from home for several months more.

Press conference today:

14:39
    Simon Harris: "We need to focus on the here and now. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Rather than say 'what's going to happen in three weeks' time?' I really need the Irish to people to focus on this three weeks."

The thing is, we do need a plan of action, we do need to know the proposed next steps. We know if the numbers do not improve we are in for another month of lockdown after May 5th, however if there is a good improvement, we need to know the next steps. An yes, that also means that I need to know a plan. For example, IMO, the 2km restriction really needs to be revised if things are getting much better in 3 weeks time.

Stheno wrote: »
    Is this related to your work?

No but it’s run like a large business/science conference which is why I used business as an example.

never_mind wrote: »
    God what a ridiculous thing to say. Business, science, and academic conferences are really important not just for networking but for the hearing of knowledge and practice. Silly thing to say.

They’re massive moneymakers for the organisers and that’s their main purpose: selling tickets, selling sponsorship, selling places on panels/ keynote addresses. It’s like printing money.

I’ve been involved in organising a number of such business conferences and very little exchange of knowledge actually happens. It’s a self-indulgent panel or two, carrying a tote bag around the main hall to see what freebies are being given away, and then off to the “social” element.

I’d be interested in how much of actual use comes out of most of them that couldn’t be achieved online.

Academic and scientific conferences would fall into a different category from my POV.

never_mind wrote: »
    God what a ridiculous thing to say. Business, science, and academic conferences are really important not just for networking but for the hearing of knowledge and practice. Silly thing to say.

There are other ways of communicating without needing to do it in person after travelling half way round the world.

It's how things have been done, but business and science and academic research and sharing of knowledge all happened globally before the jet age (at a slower pace). Now we can travel faster than the jet by using the internet there's no reason it can't continue.

There is money to be made from the previous conference organisers who can re-invent their job to make it work just as well over a digital platform. It's not going to be how we currently think of doing things, but that's for someone creative to figure out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Its so alarming that people enjoying themselves has completely stopped for a likely substantial period of time, and posters are welcoming that accordingly.
    They're absolutely dying to have the lockdown removed. What they seem not to realise is that this will ONLY mean going to work. My friends who are not working from home (pharma, retail, restaurants) tell me work is hard and they are anxious all day long in case a colleague passes on the virus. Then they can't even go for a pint or see a movie or go for a drive after to unwind. Where is the quality of life in that? It's a form of enslavement.
    Yep Spain has lifted restrictions due to a decline in number's. We have a decline in numbers and we are going to just see what happens.

Its the lack of any semblance of a plan that is an alarming issue. Why not say May 5th but it can be reviewed depending on numbers? ie consistent drop of numbers this week and we might let ye by paint
    Not exactly a crucial item. There's no semblance of a plan because their mantra is unfortunately "NO jumping the gun". Maybe if they had jumped the gun on shutting sh!t down sooner, kept the nursing homes closed when they restricted visitors themselves etc, we would resemble New Zealand now instead of having a large amount of our population needlessly dead.
    Businesses will open in May. We cant stay in lockdown.
    Yes we can, and may have to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

Big mess up in testing told people they had tested negative then contacted them today to say it was a mistake and they were actually positive ffs. Story in Irish Times online. What the hell! Also Simon is going to ‘ tweak’ things. In the lockdown after May 5th? Tweak???

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

What would be the first step in relaxing the lockdown? Maybe extending or eliminating the 2k radius?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

alwald wrote: »
    It is very true and it is scary to think that the Spanish flu lasted 3 years and killed millions in a world where social distancing was big coupled with no globalization/fast and frequent movement of people. This pandemic can be multiples of the Spanish flu if the right measures aren't in place.
    Social distancing was big in 1918? Are you serious? There was a World War on and not only was there no social distancing but the deadly 'Spanish' flu was kept from the public as strict war time censorship was in operation.
    Do you think the authorities were going to shut down the munitions factories?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭bmc58

citysights wrote: »
    Big mess up in testing told people they had tested negative then contacted them today to say it was a mistake and they were actually positive ffs. Story in Irish Times online. What the hell! Also Simon is going to ‘ tweak’ things. In the lockdown after May 5th? Tweak???

Cervical Cancer tests revisited.Who are the idiot labs the government are paying to conduct these tests?

bmc58 wrote: »
    Cervical Cancer tests revisited.Who are the idiot labs the government are paying to conduct these tests?

Quick! they made a mistake pile on em we have em now! the AHA! moment we ve all been waiting for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

JL555 wrote: »
    You're right, we won't be going back to normal for a long time, personally I fully expect to be working from home for several months more.

Press conference today:

14:39
    Simon Harris: "We need to focus on the here and now. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Rather than say 'what's going to happen in three weeks' time?' I really need the Irish to people to focus on this three weeks."

The thing is, we do need a plan of action, we do need to know the proposed next steps. We know if the numbers do not improve we are in for another month of lockdown after May 5th, however if there is a good improvement, we need to know the next steps. An yes, that also means that I need to know a plan. For example, IMO, the 2km restriction really needs to be revised if things are getting much better in 3 weeks time.

Yes I agree, I think some sort of timeline would give people hope, but make it a provisional timeline, such as if we hit certain virus reduction targets then we can relax restrictions on x, y or z or whatever.

Now to give credit to the government I do think they've handled this pandemic well and listening to medical advise is prudent. Just in 3 weeks time I'd like to hear more about the plan going forward and recognition that some people are starting to crack up in isolation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,745 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

bmc58 wrote: »

Do we know that it's the lab that messed up?

Could it be possible that some admin person got the lists mixed up as to who was positive and who was negative?

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Do we know that it's the lab that messed up?

Could it be possible that some admin person got the lists mixed up as to who was positive and who was negative?

No but dont let little facts get in the way of a good Aha! moment, we cant miss a chance to bash the labs and people trying to do good when they make a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Downlinz

I mean, this is a pandemic. It's going to affect people's mental health negatively, it's a certainty and everyone is feeling the psychological effects.

But I think some folks are fixating on the lockdown and other safety measures as the "problem" while losing sight on what their life would be like without them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Agreed, it’s putting a wedge between families and that can’t go on any longer than May 5th

Is your family not coping or are you talking about other families you know?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement