Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Downlinz wrote: »
    I mean, this is a pandemic. It's going to affect people's mental health negatively, it's a certainty and everyone is feeling the psychological effects.

But I think some folks are fixating on the lockdown and other safety measures as the "problem" while losing sight on what their life would be like without them.

Couldnt agree more, for some the lockdown is the ultimate enemy not the pandemic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭Jenbach110

Social distancing was big in 1918? Are you serious? There was a World War on and not only was there no social distancing but the deadly 'Spanish' flu was kept from the public as strict war time censorship was in operation.
    Do you think the authorities were going to shut down the munitions factories?

I can see no evidence of any restrictions due to the Spanish flu or TB outbreak.
    I can see no evidence of protection of vunerable citizens.
    Dance halls and pubs remained opened, All Irelands continued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Gael23 wrote: »
    Agreed, it’s putting a wedge between families and that can’t go on any longer than May 5th

I actually had some family over for dinner yesterday (not a huge gathering, 5 of us in total) and it quite surreal/funny.

My sister is a nurse and didn't want to take any chances so she sat out in the hall shouting in at us. Any time she annoyed us we just closed the door on her, it was great, might be an idea going forward :-)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Do we know that it's the lab that messed up?

Could it be possible that some admin person got the lists mixed up as to who was positive and who was negative?

According to the Indo the first result was inconclusive and treated as negative and they retested and found weak positives

Total of 100 tests

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

I actually had some family over for dinner yesterday (not a huge gathering, 5 of us in total) and it quite surreal/funny.

My sister is a nurse and didn't want to take any chances so she sat out in the hall shouting in at us. Any time she annoyed us we just closed the door on her, it was great, might be an idea going forward :-)

Hard to fathom this type of stupidity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,745 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

And you are the type of **** causing so much pain in this country - sure it's only a few people over for dinner - bit of a laugh eh?

Feel sorry for your sister having you as a brother - having no respect for her on the colleagues who put their lives at risk to save people.

I don't care if i get a warning for calling you a **** - i think pretty much every poster would agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is your family not coping or are you talking about other families you know?

I know some people I work with are struggling without grandparents to help with childcare for instance. Irish culture for generations centers around family and now that’s been broken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I know some people I work with are struggling without grandparents to help with childcare for instance. Irish culture for generations centers around family and now that’s been broken.

Yeah well everyone's struggling, I have no idea when I'll see my family again, but we'll cope if we have to, this was never going to be easy.

I mean, this is a pandemic. It's going to affect people's mental health negatively, it's a certainty and everyone is feeling the psychological effects.

But I think some folks are fixating on the lockdown and other safety measures as the "problem" while losing sight on what their life would be like without them.

The lockdown is certainly not the problem, it's a necessity, we'd be in a terrible state without it and it can't be ended until we turn the corner.

It's the side effect of the lockdown which creates a problem = isolation. This can negatively effect a lot of people, especially when there's no end in sight.

You need to give people hope, something to work towards. It may sound glib but you can even turn it into something positive, something to aim for, eg, hit a certain target and we can loosen restrictions on x.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Nermal

More or less the same as it is now, just with an extra 0.25%-0.4% chance of death for the rest of the year.

That % is for the population of course. Less for some, more for others.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭Jenbach110

Nermal wrote: »
    More or less the same as it is now, just with an extra 0.25%-0.4% chance of death for the rest of the year.

That % is for the population of course. Less for some, more for others.

People have lost sight of this. Paralysed by fear.

Approximatley 1 in 1000 odds if you are over 65 in Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Yeah well everyone's struggling, I have no idea when I'll see my family again, but we'll cope if we have to, this was never going to be easy.

People are resilient I fully agree. But there’s s limit to that ultimately. Life does eventually need to go on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Stheno wrote: »
    I was due to go to one in May. It's entirely online now

I'm due to speak at one in August, so far still going ahead but expect it'll go virtual or just be cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Cupatae wrote: »
    Couldnt agree more, for some the lockdown is the ultimate enemy not the pandemic.

For some the ending of the lockdown is the ultimate fear and not the virus.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Hard to fathom this type of stupidity

Straight to judgement eh? Suppose it's the timew we live in sadly.

People are resilient I fully agree. But there’s s limit to that ultimately. Life does eventually need to go on

I think people are underestimating people's resilience by saying things like "people wont put up with this" and people will flaunt the rules soon etc.
    Irish people never really protest against anything, we did nothing over the bank bailouts etc.
    I would be pretty positive about the vast majority complying with the guidelines for as long as the Gov as us to, regardless of the toll it's taking on us.

It actually was a good laugh, we needed in fairness after losing our father last month.

But thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it.

Doesn't sound like your sister saw the funny part?

Straight to judgement eh? Suppose it's the timew we live in sadly.

He's judging you because you had a family get together when that is exactly what we shouldn't be doing as it could possibly spread the disease to each of their households and this isn't good for the slowing of the disease.
    Don't post sh*t like that if you don't want to be judged for it, dead father or not.

He's judging you because you had a family get together when that is exactly what we shouldn't be doing as it could possibly spread the disease to each of their households and this isn't good for the slowing of the disease.
    Don't post sh*t like that if you don't want to be judged for it, dead father or not.

We live beside each other, my mother looks after my nephew most days so they're in our house most days anyway.

We live beside each other, my mother looks after my nephew most days so they're in our house most days anyway.

This is not how you're supposed to be doing things at the moment, kids and grandparents shouldn't be seeing each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Nermal

Irish people never really protest against anything, we did nothing over the bank bailouts etc.

That would have involved protest marches with the great unwashed - no thanks.

This time, all one has to do is attempt to live a normal life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I can read it another way as giving the nurse a break from all the turmoil if working in a hospital and would expect they need to raise their spirits up by any means.Social distance and would expect protocol to be followed.:):)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Idiot.
    Does your sister who is a nurse regularly go into different houses as well? She's being completely irresponsible, however small you may write the chance off as being.

Imagine if every household in the country who has a frontline worker in it met up for an Easter dinner. Our health service would undoubtedly be crippled. The best you can hope for is that you don't start showing symptoms in the next two weeks.

greasepalm wrote: »
    I can read it another way as giving the nurse a break from all the turmoil if working in a hospital and would expect they need to raise their spirits up by any means.Social distance and would expect protocol to be followed.:):)

If the poster put up on FB or twitter and his sister could be identifiable - the HSE would force her to stay off work for 2 weeks - that's how serious this issue is...

Part of me thinks that the poster didn't actually do that and is just trying to wind people up.

For some the ending of the lockdown is the ultimate fear and not the virus.

Some just simply understand its a necessary evil and get on with it instead of crying for it to end.

I mean realistically economics aside, its 5 weeks of lazying about doing whatever you like, its hardly ww1 going over the trench but talkin to some you d wonder will they make it..

Ace2007 wrote: »
    If the poster put up on FB or twitter and his sister could be identifiable - the HSE would force her to stay off work for 2 weeks - that's how serious this issue is...

Part of me thinks that the poster didn't actually do that and is just trying to wind people up.

Death toll in the UK at 11k, meanwhile you ve clowns like that, hopefully it is a wind up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

bmc58 wrote: »
    Cervical Cancer tests revisited.Who are the idiot labs the government are paying to conduct these tests?

I do not know but these things should not be happening. Yes echos of cervical cancer tests

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Your get together might have happened but that last bit do not believe it for a bit. You and your family can't be that removed or oblivious to what your sister goes through day in day out.

If you are she need to move out and get somewhere that she is respected

greasepalm wrote: »

To be honest my mother in particular wanted to do something as we couldn't have a months mind naturally.

It was nice to get together but again, we see each other most days anyway and social distancing rules were respected.

You'd have to laugh at the extraordinary lack of empathy here on boards though, you'd really wonder about these people sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

citysights wrote: »
    I do not know but these things should not be happening. Yes echos of cervical cancer tests

Weren't the cervical test done by some American lab

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement