Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Cupatae wrote: »
    I was sarcastically comparing our current "hardships" to that of world wars.. not that they stayed at home i thought that would be obvious,

I mean if you cant afford basic shopping and internet or to go for a run... i think the virus is the least of your worries, but for the vast majority complaining, im guessing they can since they are on boards

im not exactly jumping for joy at the announcement of the lockdown, theres plenty id rather be doing but i understand that the lockdown is for the best, and just get on with it.

As a nation we are actually so privileged.. most people have good internet nice houses cars, and a vast array of tech and yet we still have people whinge they ve to stay in for a little while.

There were plenty of whingers and moaners on this site during the various shutdowns caused by the red weather warnings over the last few years including Hurricane Ophelia and Storm Emma which by comparison with what we are dealing with now were cakewalks. And yet plenty reacted as if being told to stay indoors for a few hours or at most a day was the end of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Can someone sit down with the organizers of Electric Picnic and explain - with graphs and diagrams if necessary - why there wont be any gatherings of 70,000 people for a very, very long time

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/mcd-s-desmond-optimistic-that-electric-picnic-2020-will-go-ahead-1.4223397

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Jenbach110 wrote: »
    He's right we are not living and looks like we wont for some time.
    I think someone suggested netflix, has he netflix?

The suck it up narrative is such an ignoramous approach.

The “this isn’t living” narrative is such an insult to the people who have actually died from this virus, and to the doctors working 80-90 hour weeks to keep people alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,374 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Can someone sit down with the organizers of Electric Picnic and explain - with graphs and diagrams if necessary - why there wont be any gatherings of 70,000 people for a very, very long time

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/mcd-s-desmond-optimistic-that-electric-picnic-2020-will-go-ahead-1.4223397

I’d say there’s games being played with regards to having to give people their cash back. I’d say lots of places are taking as long as possible to cancel things for cash flow reasons

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

KiKi III wrote: »
    The “this isn’t living” narrative is such an insult to the people who have actually died from this virus, and to the doctors working 80-90 hour weeks to keep people alive.

Careful they ll prob spin what your saying into a negative, and some how an attack on the homeless. Im bemused at how talented they are at spinning something positive into a negative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭I am me123

What's the story with "Operation Fanacht", and the garda checkpoints? How long are they going to go on for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

What are you even talking about, i was arguing against people that say the lockdown is essentially a waste of time, you know the one that protects the people you are talking about? i was saying that we shouldn't be complaining as we have it easy compared to people in worse situations like doc,nurses...and the people you are talking about ? try to be less dramatic and stop spinning and twisting what i said, and i stand behind that we are privileged here in this country and the vast majority complaining arent in any of the circumstances you state infact most of what i read was economically motivated,

Also both my parents are High risk and have underlying conditions, but we are privileged enough to have access to food at ease in dunnes/lidl ect we have internet, and channels, by no means rich but certainly appreciative of what we have and this is what you make it, and i just chose to get on with it as it is seen as the best course of action. Everyone struggles just some choose not to whinge and moan about it. its a **** time for everyone get over urself and get on with it.

But just to really dumb it down for you, was my comment aimed at that dude you were serving? no it was aimed at the poster i was replying to and people in similar situations.

I need to dumb it down, I recognise what it is quite alright.

the kelt wrote: »
    I need to dumb it down, I recognise what it is quite alright.

classic white knight, heres another pat on the back for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

No, it isn't. For people with severe depression or other illness, they quite literally would rather be dead than living for a prolonged period with no human contact, anything to look forward to or light at the end of the tunnel.

I suppose when the suicide rate climbs, you'll say all those people are 'insulting' people who died from the virus, as if one thing has anything to do with the other.

I am me123 wrote: »
    What's the story with "Operation Fanacht", and the garda checkpoints? How long are they going to go on for?

Until the 5th May at the earliest and quite possibly longer than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

I think you might want to revise some of that scientific advice and have a quick revisit of that reality considering you seem to believe the odds of getting back to normality, getting a vaccine etc are around 1 in 139,838,160.

Seriously, you’re kinda all over the place with this, I mean you have previously said on this thread how you would love to go back to normal as soon as possible but now wanting to get back to normality is dangerous and the odds of that are as per above anyway.

Get out, enjoy the weather as best ye can, and I mean that genuinely, this whole things is driving people up the wall in fairness.

Start by quoting my posts if you want an answer as you are literally putting words in my mouth.

The rest of your post is irrelevant and doesn't deserve the minimum of my attention.

alwald wrote: »
    Start by quoting my posts if you want an answer as you are literally putting words in my mouth.

The rest of your post is irrelevant and doesn't deserve the minimum of my attention.

They are deliberately stupid, just twist things, no matter what you say to some people they ll find a way to spin it into a negative, as for that white knight angling for pats on the back ill be ignoring it aswell waste of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Great WSJ article here on how companies are planning to adopt-to-reopen.

- Restaurant chains may operate at half capacity, installing plexiglas shields between booths.
    - Stores may do away with tester cosmetics and sanitize items after customers try them on.
    - Some firms to place staff in alternating groups to allow for social distancing in open-plan offices where social distancing is difficult.
    - Major League Baseball has discussed a season with no spectators.
    - Major airlines are discussing the feasibility of having passengers submit to temperature checks before boarding flights.
    - The tradition of flight attendants’ serving hot nuts on a tray in first class may become a relic of a bygone age.
    - Tyson, the biggest U.S. meat company by sales, is installing walk-through temperature scanners at its plants across the country.
    - Disney is weighing several changes to its global parks operations before reopening to the public, including temperature checks for guests.
    - Starbucks is to reduce seating to allow social distancing.
    - Customers waiting for tables in restaurants may have to stand outside or remain in their cars.

No, it isn't. For people with severe depression or other illness, they quite literally would rather be dead than living for a prolonged period with no human contact, anything to look forward to or light at the end of the tunnel.

I suppose when the suicide rate climbs, you'll say all those people are 'insulting' people who died from the virus, as if one thing has anything to do with the other.

I find this comparison disingenuous. There will thankfully never come a point where 1000 people die in a day in the UK from suicide.

The two are not remotely comparable and I think it’s really distasteful the way people who oppose the lockdown are using “Well, what about suicide?” as a line of argument when this is the case.

I find it especially distasteful that you would imply I don’t care about deaths by suicide. If 11,000 people had died in the last few weeks by suicide and I could somehow help them by staying inside, I’d do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

Social distancing was big in 1918? Are you serious? There was a World War on and not only was there no social distancing but the deadly 'Spanish' flu was kept from the public as strict war time censorship was in operation.
    Do you think the authorities were going to shut down the munitions factories?

Read about it to understand the measures put in place to end it.

classic white knight, heres another pat on the back for ya.

Thanks.

Hope you have a nice evening, it’s seems your well set anyway. Tell us again how hard you are sitting at home with your favourite tv shows and food etc compared to the soft generation who doesn’t like hardship.

The ironic thing is in that post your mocking me for helping some of the less needy in our society yet previously telling everyone to man up because of the luxuries you enjoy.

Fair enough if that floats your boat. I’ve no need to argue with you or anyone for that matter, but I don’t do it to be labelled a white knight as you call it for pats on the back.

But if attacking that aspect makes your evening a bit easier then fair enough. Everyone seems to be going a little of the rails with all this so sh1t happens. All I can do is genuinely hope you are ok and getting though it.

Thanks.

Hope you have a nice evening, it’s seems your well set anyway. Tell us again how hard you are sitting at home with your favourite tv shows and food etc compared to the soft generation who doesn’t like hardship.

The ironic thing is in that post your mocking me for helping some of the less needy in our society yet previously telling everyone to man up because of the luxuries you enjoy.

Fair enough if that floats your boat. I’ve no need to argue with you or anyone for that matter, but I don’t do it to be labelled a white knight as you call it for pats on the back.

But if attacking that aspect makes your evening a bit easier then fair enough. Everyone seems to be going a little of the rails with all this so sh1t happens. All I can do is genuinely hope you are ok and getting though it.

You delibrately twisted what i said into a negative, and by some mental gymnastics an attack on the homeless lad you helped last night...

See if you can inject your story into a few more comments lad you ll prob get a few more pats on the back.

I find this comparison disingenuous. There will thankfully never come a point where 1000 people die in a day in the UK from suicide.

The two are not remotely comparable and I think it’s really distasteful the way people who oppose the lockdown are using “Well, what about suicide?” as a line of argument when this is the case.

I find it especially distasteful that you would imply I don’t care about deaths by suicide. If 11,000 people had died in the last few weeks by suicide and I could somehow help them by staying inside, I’d do it.

You're just not getting the point.

You're implying that anyone struggling with the lockdown and saying it's no life is insulting those who have died.

That logic is faulty and incredibly flawed.

A lot of these people may genuinely prefer to be dead than living months on end with no social contact and no end in sight, and some may actually kill themselves.

How is it 'insulting' to covid victims and medical workers?

You're implying that anyone struggling with the lockdown and saying it's no life is insulting those who have died.

A lot of these people may genuinely prefer to be dead than living months on end with no social contact and no end in sight, and some may actually kill themselves.

Infairness i think the point he/she is making is going clean over your head, its evident in your response.

alwald wrote: »
    Extraordinary situations require special measures to be put in place and no-one can tell when this will end and what's the next step.
    It's not that easy or simple and I understand that people miss the social elements of life, going to the pub, heading to the beach, traveling, outdoor activities, gym, BBQs and the list is long...hell I miss that too and I would love to go back to normal asap.
    Alas this isn't possible and the reality is that we are facing a massive challenge for which no country is prepared.

I spoke my mind and I sent my message but this thread is divided between those who are in favour of strong/robust/necessary measures to tackle this virus and others who dream/hope/fantasise about lifting restrictions and going back to normal...so I am out!!

I genuinely don’t want an answer if you don’t want to give one. I’m not here to argue but you’ve gone from wanting a return to normal ASAP to deciding wanting a return to normality is dangerous.

It just seems a jump in the space of a thread.

I genuinely don’t see anything wrong with people hoping or wanting for a return to normality or how it’s dangerous in any way for people to want that.

• Advertisement

You have a habit of thinking I don’t get your point when I get it just fine but I just think you’re really, really wrong.

To say, “this isn’t living” is just not accurate. It is living. It’s living through a particularly difficult moment in history, but it is indeed living. That’s just a fact.

JTMan wrote: »

- Restaurant chains may operate at half capacity, installing plexiglas shields between booths.
    - Stores may do away with tester cosmetics and sanitize items after customers try them on.
    - Some firms to place staff in alternating groups to allow for social distancing in open-plan offices where social distancing is difficult.
    - Major League Baseball has discussed a season with no spectators.
    - Major airlines are discussing the feasibility of having passengers submit to temperature checks before boarding flights.
    - The tradition of flight attendants’ serving hot nuts on a tray in first class may become a relic of a bygone age.
    - Tyson, the biggest U.S. meat company by sales, is installing walk-through temperature scanners at its plants across the country.
    - Disney is weighing several changes to its global parks operations before reopening to the public, including temperature checks for guests.
    - Starbucks is to reduce seating to allow social distancing.
    - Customers waiting for tables in restaurants may have to stand outside or remain in their cars.

I can see some of those measures remaining in place permanently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭Jenbach110

Kiki you have quoted the same post twice for more melodramatic effect.

The aged gentleman that suggested this isnt living would need addressing by yourself to adjust his insulting attitude.
    Perhaps he should just spend the rest of his limited time on this planet browsing twitter.

Thanks.

Don't waste your time.

So many people who have lovely comfortable homes, gardens, plenty of nice food and people around them can't imagine how tough this is for those who don't have any of those things. They just can't.

If I had a big detached house, private garden, lovely food and family or a partner with me, I'd be having a fcking brilliant time too.

Instead, I spent my Easter bank holiday weekend sitting on my tiny single bed in my box room, bright sunshine streaming through the window that I'm not allowed to go out in, waiting my turn for the kitchen so I can prepare some instant noodles or a sandwich (after spending ages disinfecting every surface because I don't trust my flatmates to do it) and then taking it back to my room to eat alone on my bed. Three weeks straight of this and no end in sight.

Yeah, I wonder why some people are finding this harder than others.

You delibrately twisted what i said into a negative, and by some mental gymnastics an attack on the homeless lad you helped last night...

See if you can inject your story into a few more comments lad you ll prob get a few more pats on the back.

You see there you go attacking me again for helping out someone less privileged than I or you are.

He’s not a homeless person, he’s actually just an elderly man living on his own.

I mean your the one telling everyone how great you have it and then having a go at me for helping out an elderly neighbour, I really don’t need to twist anything into a negative. Your doing it all by yourself.

Don't waste your time.

So many people who have lovely comfortable homes, gardens, plenty of nice food and people around them can't imagine how tough this is for those who don't have any of those things. They just can't.

If I had a big detached house, private garden, lovely food and family or a partner with me, I'd be having a fcking brilliant time too.

Instead, I spent my Easter bank holiday weekend sitting on my tiny single bed in my box room, bright sunshine streaming through the window that I'm not allowed to go out in, waiting my turn for the kitchen so I can prepare some instant noodles or a sandwich (after spending ages disinfecting every surface because I don't trust my flatmates to do it) and then taking it back to my room to eat alone on my bed. Three weeks straight of this and no end in sight.

Yeah, I wonder why some people are finding this harder than others.

What are you doing? scrapping a living off a rock? living in a tent is it? you poor cratur, perhaps the white knight could help you ye could even team up!

Twist twist twist!

P.s Just a little lockdown hack... you actually can still go outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,983 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

JTMan wrote: »

-

Seems that restaurant users may have to pick up their own meal from a counter and bring it back to the table, otherwise I can't see how a server can serve a table within 2metre distance!

You have a habit of thinking I don’t get your point when I get it just fine but I just think you’re really, really wrong.

To say, “this isn’t living” is just not accurate. It is living. It’s living through a particularly difficult moment in history, but it is indeed living. That’s just a fact.

No, I can tell you don't, because you start writing about something completely different and not addressing what I've said at all. If you're doing that on purpose, it's even worse than not understanding because it shows you're not capable of actually debating a point, and resort to waffling about something else.

Surely you must understand that a statement like 'this isn't living' is not supposed to be factual. Yes, if you're breathing in air, you're technically alive. That's not the point though, is it? Surely you're not actually going to be pedantic enough to pretend you don't understand that someone might think that a life lived indoors, isolated and depressed, is not a life at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

Just because you believe it’s living doesn’t make it a fact. It’s an opinion yours and nothing more or less. Just an opinion.

• Advertisement

citysights wrote: »
    Just because you believe it’s living doesn’t make it a fact. It’s an opinion yours and nothing more or less. Just an opinion.

It kinda actually does make it a fact, if your alive and depressed you are still technically alive therefor its a fact.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement