Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Don't waste your time.

So many people who have lovely comfortable homes, gardens, plenty of nice food and people around them can't imagine how tough this is for those who don't have any of those things. They just can't.

If I had a big detached house, private garden, lovely food and family or a partner with me, I'd be having a fcking brilliant time too.

Instead, I spent my Easter bank holiday weekend sitting on my tiny single bed in my box room, bright sunshine streaming through the window that I'm not allowed to go out in, waiting my turn for the kitchen so I can prepare some instant noodles or a sandwich (after spending ages disinfecting every surface because I don't trust my flatmates to do it) and then taking it back to my room to eat alone on my bed. Three weeks straight of this and no end in sight.

Yeah, I wonder why some people are finding this harder than others.

Yes, you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

You're just not getting the point.

You're implying that anyone struggling with the lockdown and saying it's no life is insulting those who have died.

That logic is faulty and incredibly flawed.

A lot of these people may genuinely prefer to be dead than living months on end with no social contact and no end in sight, and some may actually kill themselves.

How is it 'insulting' to covid victims and medical workers?

Don't forget the people who will be financially ruined because of this lockdown. Or the people who are afraid to seek medical help for non-Coronavirus issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

the kelt wrote: »
    I genuinely don’t want an answer if you don’t want to give one. I’m not here to argue but you’ve gone from wanting a return to normal ASAP to deciding wanting a return to normality is dangerous.

It just seems a jump in the space of a thread.

I genuinely don’t see anything wrong with people hoping or wanting for a return to normality or how it’s dangerous in any way for people to want that.

Let me put this into perspective as I quite like what you did. You took the time to dig a post of myself that I wrote 1 week and 4 days ago and yet you summarised it wrong. You took one sentence from it in which I said: hell I miss that too and I would love to go back to normal asap and then followed by: Alas this isn't possible and the reality is that we are facing a massive challenge for which no country is prepared.

How do you want me to take you seriously??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

citysights wrote: »
    Just because you believe it’s living doesn’t make it a fact. It’s an opinion yours and nothing more or less. Just an opinion.

If you’re talking about an esoteric, subjective definition of living than you are correct. I guess everyone can define what “living” means to them in that sense.

I’m using the more commonly understood, literal definition of living, grounded in fact. Unless you are a zombie or vampire or something posting on boards (and I wouldn’t be entirely surprised) you are currently a living, breathing human being.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

What are you finding hard to believe and why?

That your or your family can be that insensitive to your sister with especially what she goes through. As someone else has said she may have to go through 14 days of isolation now because of this. So no I don't believe that bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

GazzaL wrote: »
    Don't forget the people who will be financially ruined because of this lockdown. Or the people who are afraid to seek medical help for non-Coronavirus issues.

No they're all just spoilt whingers who need to toughen up according to the 'lock us up and never let us out' cabal you see on here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭Jenbach110

KiKi III wrote: »
    Have you currently got a heartbeat? Are you breathing? If so, you are indeed living so cool down the melodrama.

So can we apply your approach to the people in the ICU beds?

Are they melodramatic? They have a heartbeat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Cupatae wrote: »
    What are you doing? scrapping a living off a rock? living in a tent is it? you poor cratur, perhaps the white knight could help you ye could even team up!

Twist twist twist!

P.s Just a little lockdown hack... you actually can still go outside.

I'm living in a shared flat in London. I can't really go outside because you're not allowed to sit down anywhere to enjoy the sun or get some air, only exercise, and I'm not feeling well enough to do exercise as my chronic illness has flared up. It's not even particularly safe to go out to the shops given how crowded the streets are with other people shopping and exercising or out for a walk.

Yeah, it's really funny when people who enjoy luxuries and privilege mock those who don't.

You seem like a lovely person.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

I wonder do the people complaining about the lock down realize you can still actually go outside? so far one has revealed she has been looking out her window unable to leave the house... perhaps they should be clearer on the rules of the lockdown, some people dont understand it i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

That your or your family can be that insensitive to your sister with especially what she goes through. As someone else has said she may have to go through 14 days of isolation now because of this. So no I don't believe that bit.

That's ok, believe what you wish.

• Advertisement

Jenbach110 wrote: »
    So can we apply your approach to the people in the ICU beds?

Are they melodramatic? They have a heartbeat

I imagine if those people were able to weigh in, they’d tell you to stay inside and be grateful for your health.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

alwald wrote: »
    Let me put this into perspective as I quite like what you did. You took the time to dig a post of myself that I wrote 1 week and 4 days ago and yet you summarised it wrong. You took one sentence from it in which I said: hell I miss that too and I would love to go back to normal asap and then followed by: Alas this isn't possible and the reality is that we are facing a massive challenge for which no country is prepared.

How do you want me to take you seriously??

I’ve no desire for you to take me seriously at all, if that was how you thought at the time then fair enough.

I genuinely still don’t understand what’s so dangerous and wrong with people wanting a return to normality that’s all. You seem to think it is, fair enough.

It’s all debate at the end of the date and as long as it’s civil it’s appreciated.

I'm living in a shared flat in London. I can't really go outside because you're not allowed to sit down anywhere to enjoy the sun or get some air, only exercise, and I'm not feeling well enough to do exercise as my chronic illness has flared up. It's not even particularly safe to go out to the shops given how crowded the streets are with other people shopping and exercising or out for a walk.

Yeah, it's really funny when people who enjoy luxuries and privilege mock those who don't.

I will not talk about your private situation or that of other people as it is none of my business. My only question to you is what do you propose to make things better taking into consideration all the risks?

I wonder do the people complaining about the lock down realize you can still actually go outside? so far one has revealed she has been looking out her window unable to leave the house... perhaps they should be clearer on the rules of the lockdown, some people dont understand it i think.

Do you not realise that not everyone is able to exercise?

You are NOT allowed to go outside to sunbathe, to read a book on the grass or to sit around feeding the ducks. People doing these things have been asked to move on by the police, insulted by the general public and even photographed and shamed online.

So anyone who is too old or too ill to do what the police deem 'exercise' is now effectively housebound.

You really have absolutely no comprehension of someone's reality being different to yours, do you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭Jenbach110

I imagine if those people were able to weigh in, they’d tell you to stay inside and be grateful for your health.

Or live life to its fullest, you dont know when your time is up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

JTMan wrote: »
    - Major airlines are discussing the feasibility of having passengers submit to temperature checks before boarding flights.

And how will doing this confirm or deny someone has Covid? it doesn't

I don't think anything short of a superfast Covid or antibodies test at the airport will be enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Seems that restaurant users may have to pick up their own meal from a counter and bring it back to the table, otherwise I can't see how a server can serve a table within 2metre distance!
    you cant prepare food from 2 meters away either, does that mean you cook your own then :pac:

I think Kiki III post about living is a bit simplistic and yes you have to think about those with anxiety depression and other mental health issues. Hell I have no idea how someone is a small apartment can do. I have lived in it and its hard but at least go out get your exercise and stay off these sites as much as possible. Remember we have loads of ways to "meet" people than just been beside them. If it be we will ring, skype facetime or any of the numerous aps out these days. Hell if you know someone within your 2 km radius wave at them through the window or open the window and talk to them. Be creative. This would be a great time to get out your phone and talk to someone you have not meet in ages just to say hello and b£$"h and moan together

This mentality is just absolutely toxic and you don't even see it.

You're completely dismissing some people's struggles because you've arbitrarily decided that some other people have it worse.

I could say 'pfft those people in ICU have it easy - at least they've got limbs! My uncle had an accident and he has no limbs....he'd love to be on a ventilator with covid and at least be able to maybe walk again one day'

You're trying to conflate things that have nothing to do with each other and it's a particularly toxic and dangerous way of thinking when it comes to mental illness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

If you’re talking about an esoteric, subjective definition of living than you are correct. I guess everyone can define what “living” means to them in that sense.

I’m using the more commonly understood, literal definition of living, grounded in fact. Unless you are a zombie or vampire or something posting on boards (and I wouldn’t be entirely surprised) you are currently a living, breathing human being.

Nah, don’t see any sociology in there. Resorting to insulting me, sad.

• Advertisement

Some how again by mental gymnastics, have taken me being grateful for having a roof over my head having internet and easy access to food as a insult... amazing.

Im such a bad person for being thankful.

Ironically enough you can afford to rent in london, but complain about being badly off...you litterally can afford to live in the most expensive place on earth.

You are NOT allowed to go outside to sunbathe, to read a book on the grass or to sit around feeding the ducks. People doing these things have been asked to move on by the police, insulted by the general public and even photographed and shamed online.

So anyone who is too old or too ill to do what the police deem 'exercise' is now effectively housebound.

You really have absolutely no comprehension of someone's reality being different to yours, do you?

Now in fairness that is a small small minority of people. What do you mean you can not exercise, can you not go for a bit of a walk or in my case push around in a wheelchair

I think Kiki III post about living is a bit simplistic and yes you have to think about those with anxiety depression and other mental health issues. Hell I have no idea how someone is a small apartment can do. I have lived in it and its hard but at least go out get your exercise and stay off these sites as much as possible. Remember we have loads of ways to "meet" people than just been beside them. If it be we will ring, skype facetime or any of the numerous aps out these days. Hell if you know someone within your 2 km radius wave at them through the window or open the window and talk to them. Be creative. This would be a great time to get out your phone and talk to someone you have not meet in ages just to say hello and b£$"h and moan together

I am simplifying it Martin you’re right, because I’m trying to get across the difference between people who are using the phrase “this isn’t living” as a dramatic rhetorical statement, and the reality of those who have succumbed to this disease and are literally no longer living.

People with mental health issues are going to have a tough time of it, but thankfully these days there is an awful lot of help available over the phone and online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,983 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

scamalert wrote: »
    you cant prepare food from 2 meters away either, does that mean you cook your own then :pac:

Fair point indeed. Every where you look there are risks, if you are prepared to accept such risks well that's ok, but if not, you cook your own I suppose.

The closeness of passengers on a plane is another issue too.

I suppose we can overthink everything, but there are going to be significant risks if social distancing cannot be maintained until a vaccine is found.

Some how again by mental gymnastics, have taken me being grateful for having a roof over my head having internet and easy access to food as a insult... amazing.

Im such a bad person for being thankful.

Ironically enough you can afford to rent in london, but complain about being badly off...

So you think everyone living in London is well off?

You're living in fantasy land. There are families around here living about 7 people to a room and 3 families to a house sharing one kitchen and bathroom, dad working as a delivery rider and worrying about infecting the family and everyone else in the house.

I was supposed to be living here temporarily but then this happened, and now this is what I have.

There is no comparison between someone comfortable living in a nice home with their own space and garden and someone crammed into substandard, crowded accommodation with all the extra risks that entails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Went for a lovely walk today down the local woods. There was a good few people around, but everyone was keeping their distance. Gardai were moving on people who had driven down to the nearby carpark, but anyone who had walked down was let by with no hassle.

the kelt wrote: »
    I’ve no desire for you to take me seriously at all, if that was how you thought at the time then fair enough.

I genuinely still don’t understand what’s so dangerous and wrong with people wanting a return to normality that’s all. You seem to think it is, fair enough.

It’s all debate at the end of the date and as long as it’s civil it’s appreciated.

I am here to discuss and debate but I can't take a post seriously when you put words in my mouth or you take one sentence out of an entire post to twist the meaning of my entire post.

When do you want this return to normality?

This mentality is just absolutely toxic and you don't even see it.

You're completely dismissing some people's struggles because you've arbitrarily decided that some other people have it worse.

I could say 'pfft those people in ICU have it easy - at least they've got limbs! My uncle had an accident and he has no limbs....he'd love to be on a ventilator with covid and at least be able to maybe walk again one day'

You're trying to conflate things that have nothing to do with each other and it's a particularly toxic and dangerous way of thinking when it comes to mental illness.

Lainey, it’s not arbitrary- someone gasping for breath with a high fever in ICU is objectively in a much worse situation than someone who is feeling really depressed.

If the two people with the symptoms described above arrived at hospital at the same time doctors would no doubt treat the first patient first because the risk to their life is much more immediate.

That’s just reality.

So you think everyone living in London is well off?

You're living in fantasy land. There are families around here living about 7 people to a room and 3 families to a house sharing one kitchen and bathroom, dad working as a delivery rider and worrying about infecting the family and everyone else in the house.

I was supposed to be living here temporarily but then this happened, and now this is what I have.

There is no comparison between someone comfortable living in a nice home with their own space and garden and someone crammed into substandard, crowded accommodation with all the extra risks that entails.

You ve food in ur belly, a roof over your head and internet to whinge to us about how hard life is... ur not badly off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

JTMan wrote: »
    Great WSJ article here on how companies are planning to adopt-to-reopen.

- Restaurant chains may operate at half capacity, installing plexiglas shields between booths.
    - Stores may do away with tester cosmetics and sanitize items after customers try them on.
    - Some firms to place staff in alternating groups to allow for social distancing in open-plan offices where social distancing is difficult.
    - Major League Baseball has discussed a season with no spectators.
    - Major airlines are discussing the feasibility of having passengers submit to temperature checks before boarding flights.
    - The tradition of flight attendants’ serving hot nuts on a tray in first class may become a relic of a bygone age.
    - Tyson, the biggest U.S. meat company by sales, is installing walk-through temperature scanners at its plants across the country.
    - Disney is weighing several changes to its global parks operations before reopening to the public, including temperature checks for guests.
    - Starbucks is to reduce seating to allow social distancing.
    - Customers waiting for tables in restaurants may have to stand outside or remain in their cars.

No, no don't you understand we can never do anything ever again. We all have to spend the rest of our lives hyperventilating under the bed hoping the big bad covid 19 doesn't get us. Sod the economy, sod the HSE and sod standard of living.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement