Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

kieran. wrote: »
    What further step up measures do you think will be imposed?

Maybe we should be allowed shoot cyclists who think the 1.2 km doesn't apply to them ?

tdf7187 wrote: »
    The restrictions are already causing disproportionate hardship and should be relaxed if not entirely removed. Sweden has none and is doing fine. But hey it's great for the coppers and their overtime so celebrate.

Ever been to Sweden ?
    Ever hear or notice how law abiding most of them are, well at least the native blue eyed blonde ones anyway?

Do you know anything of Sweden's history of practicing compulsory sterilisation and their belief in eugenics ?
    They only stopped some of their practices in the mid 70s believe it or not.

Sweden is a funny old place.
    And it really isn't doing fine if you happen to be one of the 150 odd that have died.

Also they have a damn fine health care system, but sooner or later they are going to find that they cannot cope with the numbers, which BTW was 4,000 yesterday.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

is_that_so wrote: »
    There's a reason why we tell kids how many sleeps till Santa! We too need that 7-10 days blanky every so often during this. If we get to the end of April without any sign of an end there is a far higher risk people will begin to flout the restrictions.

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

If people cannot cope with the restrictions and begin to flout them they should be fined and repeat offenders imprisoned. Too much on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

I think by middle of May we be back in the office. 6 weeks of this and the country is bankrupt so will have no choice.

Back in office ?????????????????????:eek::eek::eek::eek:

If you are able to work from home now - you'll be working from home to at least September, naivety at it's best to think you'll be in office in 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

KiKi III wrote: »
    They would probably show them to their homes and slap them with a hefty fine.

I find it unlikely this will happen, most people in the real world are happy to cooperate.

Slap the people with a fine who have no jobs. Yeah that won't happen and also exposes the authorities more to the virus as less than 2 meter space

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

BanditLuke wrote: »
    It will go on for months (unless new or existing drugs work on it) The sooner people grow up and except it the better.
    you talking about weed ? id say another 2 months before first harvest will be ready at very best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Slap the people with a fine who have no jobs. Yeah that won't happen and also exposes the authorities more to the virus as less than 2 meter space

This is already happening in other countries, you can deny it all you want, it’s reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Suffer, bollocks. People asked to stay at home and claim the social for a few months.

100 years ago you'd be getting blown up in a field in France. :rolleyes:

Sorry for being pedantic, but World War 1 ended nearly 102 years ago.

In 1920 you would have been sh**ting it that you caught the Spanish flu.
    Bit of a coincidence what is happening exactly 100 years later. :confused:

And of course there was no state payments to stay at home in those days.

Also the War of Independence was in full flow so some would have been helping the IRA and some would have been helping the Brits.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

The reason things are not too bad here yet is because of the restrictions you’re so keen to get rid of.....

Wuhan is a city of 19 million.

Apples and Oranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

The reason things are not too bad here yet is because of the restrictions you’re so keen to get rid of.....

Also because it was rampant in Wuhan and nobody had a clue what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Good luck with that. My estimation would be September or even December before business as usual.

We haven't even reached the peak of what's in store for us, and who knows how many weeks it will take before a decline.

Goodness I’d say your a right little optimist.

Not a realist however

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

jmayo wrote: »
    Sorry for being pedantic, but World War 1 ended nearly 102 years ago.

In 1920 you would have been sh**ting it that you caught the Spanish flu.
    Bit of a coincidence what is happening exactly 100 years later. :confused:

And of course there was no state payments to stay at home in those days.

Also the War of Independence was in full flow so some would have been helping the IRA and some would have been helping the Brits.

Yep, to say that sitting at home watching Netflix is suffering when you only have to turn on the news to see real suffering is naive to the extreme.
    ITman88 wrote: »
    Goodness I’d say your a right little optimist.

Not a realist however

Time will tell lads. This virus started nearly 5 months ago in China and they're SLIGHTLY relaxing restrictions. We're only entering it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Blueshoe wrote: »
    A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

If people cannot cope with the restrictions and begin to flout them they should be fined and repeat offenders imprisoned. Too much on the line.
    That's fine in theory but this is why they talk about 4 weeks as about the limit to effective control. It is happening in places in Italy and Greece already. If we get to the point of locking people up it will start to fail.

Yep, to say that sitting at home watching Netflix is suffering when you only have to turn on the news to see real suffering is naive to the extreme.

Time will tell lads.

Exactly, could you imagine what the generations who fought wars would have said, get back to work you soft *****, i saw thousands die all around me and you are afraid of a virus.

is_that_so wrote: »
    That's fine in theory but this is why they talk about 4 weeks as about the limit to effective control. It is happening in places in Italy and Greece already.

Italy has had a far stricter lockdown in place for longer.

Of course this can’t go on forever, but people calling for the relaxation of restrictions at this very early stage are being recklessly premature.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

niallo27 wrote: »
    Exactly, could you imagine what the generations who fought wars would have said, get back to work you soft *****, i saw thousands die all around me and you are afraid of a virus.

Or they would have said, I had to go fight for my country, all your country is asking you to do is stay in doors - watch tv and cup of tea - do whatever you want to do at home.

Grow up and stop being so selfish

Given that the Spanish Flu killed more WW1 soldiers than any battle, I think they’d tell you to stay home.

https://www.worldwar1centennial.org/index.php/communicate/press-media/wwi-centennial-news/3978-flu-killed-more-world-war-i-troops-than-any-battle.html

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Or they would have said, I had to go fight for my country, all your country is asking you to do is stay in doors - watch tv and cup of tea - do whatever you want to do at home.

Grow up and stop being so selfish

Or they could have said the opposite. Its very easy spin things.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Italy has had a far stricter lockdown in place for longer.

Of course this can’t go on forever, but people calling for the relaxation of restrictions at this very early stage are being recklessly premature.
    I agree but they will still have an eye on where they might hint at some positive changes.

Given that the Spanish Flu killed more WW1 soldiers than any battle, I think they’d tell you to stay home.

https://www.worldwar1centennial.org/index.php/communicate/press-media/wwi-centennial-news/3978-flu-killed-more-world-war-i-troops-than-any-battle.html

This is not comparable to the Spanish flu, that killed the young. If it was like the Spanish flu i would totally agree we should lock everything down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Ace2007 wrote: »
    So which restriction are you going to ease - let people roam around in large numbers again?

You can’t imprison people in their homes indefinitely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

is_that_so wrote:
    There's a reason why we tell kids how many sleeps till Santa! We too need that 7-10 days blanky every so often during this. If we get to the end of April without any sign of an end there is a far higher risk people will begin to flout the restrictions.

Extraordinary situations require special measures to be put in place and no-one can tell when this will end and what's the next step.
    It's not that easy or simple and I understand that people miss the social elements of life, going to the pub, heading to the beach, traveling, outdoor activities, gym, BBQs and the list is long...hell I miss that too and I would love to go back to normal asap.
    Alas this isn't possible and the reality is that we are facing a massive challenge for which no country is prepared.

I spoke my mind and I sent my message but this thread is divided between those who are in favour of strong/robust/necessary measures to tackle this virus and others who dream/hope/fantasise about lifting restrictions and going back to normal...so I am out!!

Or they could have said the opposite. Its very easy spin things.

I think a soldier who saw men in his unit die of Spanish Flu is unlikely to take the position you are pointing to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Gael23 wrote: »

Global pandemic going on

Gael23 wrote: »

Fact check: No one is imprisoned in their homes. No one is suggesting this should go on indefinitely.

I think by middle of May we be back in the office. 6 weeks of this and the country is bankrupt so will have no choice.

Even when retail and businesses reopen, and travel restrictions are relaxed, the one thing that we wont all be doing is all heading back to the office. I'm resigned to working from home until August / September at the absolute earliest, even if some other aspects of life resemble normality

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

ITman88 wrote: »
    Most are ignoring this.

It is exactly the elephant!

Officials in the UK did a study last week on the effects of the restrictions and determined a shrink in the economy of 6% is the equilibrium where the economic contraction will cause more deaths.

It’s forbidden however from being mentioned by many posters, you will be accused of immaturity/lack of empathy/not understanding the effects of the virus etc.

Well if there's one source I want my information from during this pandemic its officials in the UK.

We don’t know if it’s the restrictions. What is implemented elsewhere may not be effective in Ireland. I think we should of followed Singapore’s stance, kids in school and business open. Then shut the airports.
    Implementing a lockdown is useless if its not implemented within a 10 day timeframe. To early or to late and it will have no effects.

We can’t compare Ireland to mainland Europe or the UK.

We don’t have any historical issues with flu endemics like the ageing populations in Europe have had over the last few years.

The Italian health service have had warnings about this before and they also had triage issues and overcrowding like they are experiencing now.

In Italy they had an incredibly low number of flu deaths this season in comparison to recent years and thus a number of vulnerable people were then in a precarious scenario when this hit. (Germany interestingly had a very difficult flu season with many deaths accountable to flu up to February)

Our population density is also a positive in a pandemic, in Lombardy they have an ageing 10m in an area the size of Munster.

The ageing population in Italy was becoming such a problem that they introduced grants to encourage people to have kids.

I believe we won’t see anything like we have seen on the European mainland, I’ll stay optimistic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

I'd go with the end of July for the beginning of relaxing measures across Europe and in Ireland and the middle of 2021 to see a return to normality.

No government is going to relax the measures so long as the threat of a renewed explosion in cases is there.

Because we will just be shut down again within a week.

A lot of unrealistic expectations around.

There's no way people can cope with it being that long. Honestly just no way. The only reason there should ever be an 'explosion of cases' once people have been locked down for several weeks is if mass travel starts up again. I can understand that being pushed back as far as possible. But this extreme social distancing and isolation cannot last for months more.
    Why? What’s so hard about it?

You have access to every movie, book and piece of music ever created, exercise, plenty of ways to keep in touch with people, you can buy groceries and alcohol. The weather is generally grand and you can get out in it every day. Tons of free online courses to keep your mind stimulated.

What’s the problem?

Such an incredible lack of empathy, it's unbelievable.

You do realise a lot of people have mental and physical health needs which are going completely or almost completely unmet during this crisis? As everything else is shelved in favour of coronavirus stuff, people are going without therapy sessions, medication and having operations pushed back, and on top of all this, are unable to do anything which might help, such as meet friends, play group sports or any of the other things which are normally suggested when you're having a hard time? How do you think it feels for someone with chronic depression or illness to be stuck inside 24/7, alone?

That's only one aspect. There's also the pressure it puts on relationships, probably an increase in domestic violence, people cracking under pressure trying to homeschool kids, do housework AND work from home, in addition to the worries and stress many people are facing about money, security and work at the moment.

You might be fine, but that doesn't mean everyone else is. Pretty hard to focus on reading or doing online courses when you're in a terrible mental state and have no idea when it will end.

I imagine those generations that were affected by the likes of cholera and polio wouldn't be viewing it as soft to avoid wiping out millions of lives.

• Advertisement

HBC08 wrote: »
    Well if there's one source I want my information from during this pandemic its officials in the UK.

So are you suggesting we lift the restrictions then?

Do the opposite of the UK?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement